Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

sparks

Oct 22, 2002, 4:00 PM

Post #1 of 13 (3879 views)

Shortcut

Just in time for my trip

Can't Post |
Early next month to Guad, a few days in Ajijic and nearby .... then off to the Colima/Manzanillo area ... and a side trip to re-visit Melaque. Any suggestions for a bus traveler in Colima state. Thanks

Web Cam of Colima volcano

tonyburton

Oct 23, 2002, 8:26 AM

Post #2 of 13 (3724 views)

Shortcut

Previous MXC Special on Colima

Can't Post | Private Reply
Virtually everywhere in Colima state is fairly easy to reach by bus.

You'll find lots of possibilities for specific places worth visiting in the MXC special issue on Colima:

http://www.mexconnect.com/...ima/colimaindex.html

Have a great trip, and bring us back an update on the Colima volcanoes...

sparks

Oct 23, 2002, 1:09 PM

Post #3 of 13 (3689 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Just in time for my trip

Can't Post |
How did I miss that page. Have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks

wendy devlin

Oct 24, 2002, 9:10 AM

Post #4 of 13 (3663 views)

Shortcut

From a two months stay in Colima...

last year, let me say that travel around this little state by bus is as easy as pie!

From the long distance bus station on the edge of the city, either take an $3 US taxi to the beautiful centro or walk a few blocks to the university hospital where local buses pass by going downtown or even out to Comala at frequent intervals.

For a more organized approach, to exploring the area, take buses to surrounding pueblos, from the old bus station located on the south edge of town near the old Ley. About a 5 peso ride in any direction for about twenty miles.

If you wish more details, like how to get closer to the volcano;^) write me here.

Heck, maybe it's time for me to write another article about Colima! Sincerely Wendy

Mr.Chips

Oct 24, 2002, 10:34 AM

Post #5 of 13 (3631 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] From a two months stay in Colima...

Can't Post |
I would appreciate knowing how to get closer to the volcano.

Bob in Iowa

Oct 24, 2002, 5:24 PM

Post #6 of 13 (3599 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Our favorites are listed below. I realize that you can't get to the top of th eVolcanho by bus, or to Playa de Oro, but thought you might be interested for future reference.

*Comala. A picturesque and fun town. There are several bars in town that have afternoon botanas, which means they haul out tons of free food with drinks. There are several on the square, but my new favorite is across the creek towards Colima/Villa de Alvarez. If there is a band there named the Fugitivos, you are really in luck Easily accessible by bus from Colima.

*Road to La Maria. Continue on by bus through Comala towards San Antonio. Great views of the volcano. At San Antonio, you can take the side road to La Maria, a lovely lake and picnic area – costs a few pesos to get in, but worth it. Best visited on weekdays when there are few people. They also have basic rooms/cabins.

*Playa Paraiso. Popular but Gringo-free local beach. Dark sand, but great waves, and a handful of little restaurants. Cuyutlan is a few miles on towards Manzanillo – a little more developed than Paraiso. If you’re into sea salt, get it here – 4 big bags for a buck.

*The most beautiful beach in Colima is Playa do Oro, but it is deserted, so you can’t get there by bus. If you have another means of transportation, it is east/south of the Manzanillo Airport, between Manzanillo and Barra.

*The volcano, Fuego is not easily accessed, but its twin is. The best access is from Cd. Guzman (again requiring personal transportation), which you will go through if coming from Guad. There is an excellent road up - as you round a dizzying turn near the top, you come face to face with the smoldering Fuego about 4 K away (at least on clear days). I can get you very specific directions if you want them.

*I asked my daughter about her pick – she recommended bar/nightclub overlooking the main square (the one with the gov’t buildings and the Hotel Cebellos (sp?)).

Have a great trip.

Bob

Rolly

Oct 24, 2002, 6:00 PM

Post #7 of 13 (3599 views)

Shortcut

Playa do Oro

Hola Bob,

Can you tell us anything more about Playa do Oro?

Once while visiting in MZ, I ask a local Mexican friend about the Playa, and he dismissed it with "No one goes there," This was not an elitist statement, just a matter-of-fact, so I never asked more about it. Now your post makes me wonder why? With the beaches at Mira Mar, I guess locals from MZ don't need to drive all that way, and tourists would want to go on the Barra. Maybe that's the reason. Do you know about swimming or surfing conditions there?

My friends also tell me there are alligators in the marshes along the road to the MZ airport.

Rolly Pirate

Don

Oct 24, 2002, 6:08 PM

Post #8 of 13 (3595 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Playa do Oro

Don't know about Playa de Oro, but in the town of La Manzanilla they have crocodiles in a special reserve in town. Some are 6 to 7 feet long. They are caught locally. The town is not that far from the MZ airport.

sparks

Oct 24, 2002, 7:23 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Playa do Oro

Can't Post |

It's on the top of the GoManz beaches page. The advise about NOT swimming may be the reason people don't use it much. Might be worth renting a car from Manz ... there's some other beaches I'd like to see.

http://www.gomanzanillo.com/beaches/

sparks

Oct 24, 2002, 8:35 PM

Post #10 of 13 (3568 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bob in Iowa] Just in time for my trip

Can't Post |
Thanks Bob ... printing this all out and will carry it with me. May rent a car as needed, take a tour .... or just run into people with a car. I've got my camera and hope to eye-witness some cool stuff.

Bob in Iowa

Oct 25, 2002, 4:43 PM

Post #11 of 13 (3495 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
At one time, Playa de Oro (named, I assume, for the flecks of iron pyrite in the sand) had some development – the ruins are at the far end of the beach. One reason for its now being deserted is certainly the seven k of bad but passable road that leads to it. The other reason may be that it unsafe for swimming but I don’t know. I don’t recall much about the surf. I have heard that Colima’s best surfing is at Pascuales (also called Boca de Armeria) near Tecoman. There is a small sign at the turnoff to Playa de Oro.

Allegedly, there are caimans on the Manzanillo airport road, but I haven’t been able to find one. Look for them sunning on the dikes. Don made a good point – if you want to see huge reptiles, go to La Manzanilla, 12 miles up the road from Barra and check out the crocodiles. They are in lagoons just up the beach from town. On the subject of La Manzanilla, it’s another beautiful spot (but in Jalisco). Drive down to the beach – the view of Tenacatita Bay is breathtaking,

Have a great trip!

wendy devlin

Oct 27, 2002, 1:44 PM

Post #12 of 13 (3425 views)

Shortcut

How to get close to the Fuego de Colima

Well, Mr. Chips...vamonos!

It is probably...prudent to check via the internet or local authorities the current status of the Fuego de Colima before beginning your adventure.

Now somebody here mentioned; the *Road to La Maria and provided a description.

Now I will add to it ....based on a recent day trip that I took there with my daughter and baby grandson in August.

"... Continue on by bus through Comala towards San Antonio. Great views of the volcano."

Yes but the bus from Comala will only take you as far as the Cofradia de Suchitlán. There you need to await another small bus that heads up towards San Antonio but is primarily intending to pick up day workers. It will let you off just before the bridge that crosses the rio. From there you need to walk about half a mile to the little village of Bercerra where you then take the right hand cobble road towards La Laguna de María. It is less than a mile to the lake.

There is one other bus option. From the old bus station in Colima City there is a bus that leaves twice a day, once in the morning and later evening. It is actually going to the village of Zapotitlán de Vadillo in Jalisco on the rough secondary road and will pass by the turn-off to La María during its journey.

La Maria is indeed a lovely lake and picnic area – costs a few pesos to get in, but worth it. Best visited on weekdays when there are few people. They also have basic rooms/cabins and a tiny tienda.

In the winter of 2001, we van-camped there for a week and had the place mostly to ourselves in the night. Most of the visitors were day-trippers from Colima City. They generally leave by dark, around 6 pm.

From La María, you can either walk uphill for about a mile or catch a ride to the village of Yerba Buena which I believe is the closest village to the volcano. (about 7 miles away). On the outskirts of the village, there is a gravel road which leads upward to the volcano. However access to the road is limited as it is guarded by military soldiers. If you are fortunate to travel there on a clear day, the volcano will rise up before you in a most specular way.

Arbon and I spent some time talking to a young scientist from the U. of Colima who happened to be in the village the day that we visited there, getting people to fill out questionaires regarding the level of their emergency preparedness. According to him, the way that we drove in from La María is also the primary emergency evacuation route. However there is also another, dirt road in the area that locals could also use in case of an emergency. I do not know its location.

There you have it. The scenery everywhere in this area, for me, is drop-dead gorgeous. It's been my pleasure to have explored much of it during these past few years.

And how did we get back to Colima? Faced with the prospect of all those bus changes in reverse, I flagged the first taxi coming back. It's two occupants kindly made room for the three of us to squeeze in. And the cab driver asked us how much it cost us to get there by bus and charged us the same to return! Sincerely Wendy

maryellen

Sep 16, 2003, 7:17 AM

Post #13 of 13 (3166 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] How to get close to the Fuego de Colima

Can't Post |
Go here for a lot of great photos of Volcano Colima.

http://www.nettaxi.net/...f_fire_of_colime.htm

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4