Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Rolly

Dec 25, 2009, 3:41 PM

Post #1 of 12 (3846 views)

Shortcut

Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
LAREDO, Tex. — The streets of Laredo are awash in money, stacks of grimy bills laced with cocaine residue, wrapped in plastic and stowed in secret compartments built into the trucks, buses and cars that flow south over the Mexican border daily like a motorized river.

Read the rest of this story from the New York Times.

Rolly Pirate

frito

Dec 25, 2009, 5:00 PM

Post #2 of 12 (3827 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

I have a very beautiful cousin in Georgia who met a 19 year old Hispanic man from Alamo, TX when she was 13. By the time she was 15 they convinced my aunt to let them marry. Her older brother has a successful fence building business in the Atlanta area and to help them out took them on. Eventually he set them up in their own fence business with a small warehouse/office. Things were going well and they had 3 kids. One day when she was 26 several years ago the FBI showed up with a search warrant at her home and turned her world upside down. His business neighbors had noticed very little fencing business going on but did see lettuce trucks coming and going. Eventually the ATF and FBI were notified and during a stakeout caught her husband and others exchanging money for cocaine at his warehouse. Trucks were coming from Florida with money, others from Texas with cocaine. They were apprehended with $6 million. It was determined that she wasn't involved, and the judge felt so sorry for her that he took advantage of some investigative impropriety to give her husband a 5 yr sentence instead of the 30 he could have gotten. She's stayed with him, and the big worry is possible retribution from the drug people. Hard to say which is worse to me, those who do drugs or those who facilitate it for money. But alot of innocent people on both sides of the border are being hurt by it.

Hound Dog

Dec 25, 2009, 5:28 PM

Post #3 of 12 (3822 views)

Shortcut

Re: [frito] Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

The way to solve this problem is to legallize marijuana, cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine and sell these drugs cheaply through U.S. government sanctioned channels as happened with liquor after prohibition. Read today´s Wall Street Journal article on this subject. The corrupt United States is destroying Mexico with their voracious appetite for illicit drugs and there is no other solution. The United States is criminally complicit in the terror that grips Mexico thanks to lawlessness north of the border. What dreadful hypocrisy.

frito

Dec 25, 2009, 5:48 PM

Post #4 of 12 (3810 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

In Reply To
The way to solve this problem is to legallize marijuana, cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine and sell these drugs cheaply through U.S. government sanctioned channels as happened with liquor after prohibition. Read today´s Wall Street Journal article on this subject. The corrupt United States is destroying Mexico with their voracious appetite for illicit drugs and there is no other solution. The United States is criminally complicit in the terror that grips Mexico thanks to lawlessness north of the border. What dreadful hypocrisy.

Have to disagree with some of your post. It isn't the U.S. that's destroying Mexico, it's selfish people on both sides that want what they want. And you might make a case for legalizing marijuana, but the hard drugs are bad in any amount. There's just too much money corrupting people on both sides. I suspect that both federal governments are affected by it. How else to explain the Mexican gov't's inability to stop the cartels, and the American gov't not enforcing the border, allowing the smuggling of drugs and humans? Appears both do things for show. I remember when Salinas fled to Ireland. His brother was to join him after stopping in Houston to withdraw if I remember right $120,000,000. Got arrested when he couldn't explain where the money came from. Where is the education campaign showing on TV what's happening in Juarez and elsewhere? Apparently people can be scared into going green for the sake of the planet but not to give up coke at parties for the sake of kids in Juarez.

(This post was edited by frito on Dec 25, 2009, 7:10 PM)

chinagringo

Dec 25, 2009, 6:06 PM

Post #5 of 12 (3797 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

For those posters that think all drugs should be legalized and taxed, I beg to differ. I currently contract with a courier company and one person in the company did five years at Leavenworth for distribution of meth. Even after doing the time, he returned to his old ways and dealers that sell also use. He developed an infection from shooting meth and lost an arm in the process. After almost dying, he still returned to using until he woke up one day and swore off.

It just came to his and my attention that a number of the couriers are dealing meth while performing their duties. They will all be taken down in the near future! I have no tolerance for this horrible product!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sparks

Dec 26, 2009, 7:10 AM

Post #6 of 12 (3719 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

Seems to me that "U.S. government sanctioned channels" would clean up a lot of the back alley portion of the drug trade and maybe clean needles rather than sharing with your back alley buddies

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

richmx2

Dec 26, 2009, 2:39 PM

Post #7 of 12 (3655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

The "U.S. gov. sanctioned channels" may or may not be a good idea, but don't expect any activity on this to move faster than a national health care system has moved through Washington since Harry Truman was in the White House.

Legalizing narcotics is the USER country solution. Even with an alleged 50 pecent rise in drug users in Mexico, that's not a huge number -- either statistically or in real numbers -- of users in this country. Legalizing drugs takes care of the U.S. problem (or at least the law enforcement part), but then there's going to be a need for hospitalization, insurance to cover "rehabilitation" etc.

And Mexico isn't going to benefit... farm prices for marijuana and opium poppies presumably would drop and our rural meth labs would be out of business. As it is, the narcotics industry is just another monoculture business, growing crops solely for export and not a genuine benefit to Mexico. Certainly, farm workers in the marijuana fields would reap some benefits from foreign legalization, although there would be pressure from the buyers to lower market prices even more.

Honestly, I can't see that fighting a "drug war" on behalf of foreign nations is in Mexico's interest... getting the cash that's obviously being earned in this business -- most of which is staying in the U.S. -- back to Mexico IS in the country's interest.

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

wendy devlin

Dec 26, 2009, 3:37 PM

Post #8 of 12 (3627 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

>Honestly, I can't see that fighting a "drug war" on behalf of foreign nations is in Mexico's interest... getting the cash that's obviously being earned in this business -- most of which is staying in the U.S. -- back to Mexico IS in the country's interest.

Putting your comment aside 'on behalf of foreign nations aside for the moment', I would like to understand why you capitalized the work 'IS' in your above statement.

sparks

Dec 26, 2009, 3:52 PM

Post #9 of 12 (3616 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

Any change so large will have ramifications ... and reducing the drug trade in Mexico would be a good time to move on. Those poor cartel guys would move to the next easy target - Gringos in Mexico

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

richmx2

Dec 26, 2009, 6:36 PM

Post #10 of 12 (3579 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

Wendy -- you asked why I wrote "IS" in caps. The short answer is I wanted to emphasize that one thing overlooked by those who simply say "just legalize it" is that Mexicans really don't benefit in the long run from the narco-export trade, but that, given that the industry exists, they have a right to the fruits of their labor. Not the U.S. which is stupid enough to buy the crap.

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

chinagringo

Dec 26, 2009, 6:47 PM

Post #11 of 12 (3570 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

In the case I used as an example, it was not dirty needles but rather dirty Meth and just plain stupidity (his words and not mine)! People that profess the theory that drugs should be legalized and use the attempt at liquor prohibition as an example should realize that attempt was somewhat religion based. Like alcohol, drug use may not be worse than heavy alcohol use, I personally feel that the dangers/ramifications are far worse. Just one person's opinion!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Peter

Dec 26, 2009, 8:55 PM

Post #12 of 12 (3542 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Drug money moving from the USA to Mexico

Some drugs are definately worse than others. Lumping all illegal drugs together is in great part what causes a casual user to experiment with the more dangerous ones. I would not classify alcohol as one of the safer ones but it's already got a pass. Methamphetamine is definately one of the most dangerous but seems rather innocuous at first glance. A couple people I know claim the first time they used meth is when the army gave it to them during combat in the middle east.

(This post was edited by Peter on Dec 26, 2009, 9:17 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4