Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mountain Man

Dec 23, 2009, 7:32 PM

Post #1 of 31 (8150 views)

Shortcut

About Ajijic, food, music, people, and the "social life"

| Private Reply
Well, you "old" Dawg. You sound like my kinda guy! I will be coming down to the Lakside for my birthday...the number....need to know only. I'm getting a little tired of shoveling snow....not just some traffic stopping three inches...how about three footers overnight. The first of 45 years of shoveling it 18 feet...yeah...5 and 1/2 meters. In the front yard. Nearby Las Vegas, Nevada. That's nuts, but real.
Now, here in a little Hispanic village in Northern New Mexico, we've got another white Christmas...only three feet. I better not see any snowflakes on the Lakeside in February! I've got people...to deal with that.
I'm impressed with you "old goobers" places to eat info. My list is getting longer.
Tell me, have you been on your scoot over to Mazamitla. Here, we are just at the foot of the San Juan Mountains of southern Colorado. Gotta get a Mountain fix now and then.
I have no doubt that Chapala, Ajijic and the Lakeside is right. For this old gent. Fine old gentleman I'll have you know. I'm not a clubber, etc., etc., by any means. Uh, uh!
Keeping tuned in to the Forum on Mexconnect

Mountain Man
Chama, New Mexico USA

Hound Dog

Dec 24, 2009, 8:48 AM

Post #2 of 31 (8087 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mountain Man] About Ajijic, food, music, people, and the "social life"

| Private Reply
Mountain Man:

For years, while living in San Francisco, New Mexico, and more specifically, Santa Fe or Taos, was the place we planned to retire. So we spent some time in those places and found Taos a bit isolated and Santa Fe prohibitively expensive for the residence we had in mind so we reconsidered and thought Tucson was right for us but it turned out to be a "driver´s" spread out burg where walking to destinations one might find attractive was not a reasonable alternative and California, where we had lived since 1971, was out of the question as we would have incurred an income tax liability during retirement so we considered moving back to the Alabama Gulf Coast where we had been newly-weds but by then that place for waterfront property had become too dear and also I had relatives there whose presence did not suit me so we chose Mexico.

A truly wise decision and one we have never regretted for even one minute. Unless compelled to do so, we would never move back to the United States. My wife´s native France, maybe; but not the United States.

We would love to meet you but will probably be at our other place in Chiapas unless you are coming down in the summer. If that is the case, let us know when you are arriving in Sump City and we can share a drink in the garden.

Gringal

Dec 24, 2009, 9:37 AM

Post #3 of 31 (8068 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] About Ajijic, food, music, people, and the "social life"

| Private Reply
Tucson? You actually considered Tucson, Dawg?
That's one of the places the devil considered as an alternative to Hell.

Mountain Man: If you can't be happy living in the Lake Chapala area in your dotage.....you just can't be happy.
No snow, sparkling lake, and right now.....I may take a sweater along to lunch. Or not. Depends on whether we're eating outside or in. Got the picture?

RickS

Dec 24, 2009, 2:46 PM

Post #4 of 31 (8026 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Chama. Nope, you won't find any snow at Lakeside but you also won't find the kind of mountains that surround you there. Mt. Garcia projects himself up across the lake and is a fine site to wake up to. But although Lakeside is at 5000' there will be nothing to remind you of the San Juans, either in majesty nor the temps. Mazamitla will be just a little stroll 'into the foothills' but it's a pleasant trip to make... once.

Having said that, today (as is true about most every day) the sun shines brightly, the morning low was in the 50s and as I sit in the garden reading it is in the 70s with no white stuff anywhere remotely close!

Yes, a good place to spend your birthday.... or several.

Hound Dog

Dec 25, 2009, 10:45 AM

Post #5 of 31 (7965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] About Ajijic, food, music, people, and the "social life"

| Private Reply
"...although Lakeside is at 5000' there will be nothing to remind you of the San Juans, either in majesty nor the temps."

Well, now, Rick, it has been my privilege to have lived in the San Juans and at Lake Chapala and I have zero use for Mazamitla but I have to say this; the San Juans are marvelous but the magnificent craggly mountains that overlook the Ajijic area are a splendid sight. I call them the "King Kong" mountains. Oddly enough, the mountains around Ajijic are far more imposing than the mountains surrounding the high mountain Jovel Valley that is the home of San Cristóbal de Las Casas where we also live. There are lots of things I don´t like about the Ajijic area but visual splendor ain´t one of them.

Actually, the mountains around Ajijic remind me a bit of the desert mountains around Palm Springs.

We spent one spring strolling about the forest in the San Juans. Stunningly beautiful but a harsh winter climate.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 25, 2009, 11:05 AM)

Hound Dog

Dec 25, 2009, 11:23 AM

Post #6 of 31 (7954 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] About Ajijic, food, music, people, and the "social life"

| Private Reply
Tucson? You actually considered Tucson, Dawg?
That's one of the places the devil considered as an alternative to Hell.

Well, Gringal:

To prove we are not totally brain dead, once we got to Tucson and had a look at it, we decided to move to Mexico.

What we thought we would like about Tucson was the city´s and its citizens commitment to desert style gardening and architecture versus the dreadful golf course, grassy lawn environment of its ugly Arizona sister city of Phoenix, a less attractive town Dawg has rarely encountered. . Keep in mind that we were leaving California as an alternative retirement haven to escape state income taxes so California was not in the running. Otherwise, the Central California Coast around San Luis Obispo was a rather attractive alternative.

Tucson failed the acid test not only because the homes we liked were too expensive back around 1998, but also because it is a town requiring the use of a car to get to anything worth getting to. It seemed to be an uptight place in which to drive as well. Lots of urban expressways filled with morons driving irritably in order to get to someplace folks in San Francisco would disdain. Not even remotely our kind of retirement town although I must say that the United States in general is no longer our town eaither.

¡Viva Mexico!

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 25, 2009, 11:26 AM)

Gringal

Dec 25, 2009, 11:53 AM

Post #7 of 31 (7941 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Some of those Arizona towns have the added attraction of citizens who carry firearms and take their road rage seriously.

Viva Mexico, and amen, brutha. But here, we have the narcos. Can't win.

There is, however, nothing like basking in the Mexican sun while reading weather reports from NOB. Aaaaah.

Rolly

Dec 25, 2009, 12:17 PM

Post #8 of 31 (7937 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I am sitting here in my Christmas-present bath robe toasty warm in my unheated house. When I look at the weather pictures from up North, I feel almost hot.

Rolly Pirate

chinagringo

Dec 25, 2009, 12:18 PM

Post #9 of 31 (7934 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

I just saw on the Albuquerque noon news that Chama, NM USA was going to be -18 degrees F tomorrow morning! Would think that in itself would be a major consideration in considering a move!

Mountain Man - I sent you a PM.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tashby

Dec 25, 2009, 9:38 PM

Post #10 of 31 (7883 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Actually, Tucson was on our extremely short list as well.

The "Austin of Arizona".

But we arrived at the same conclusion: ¡Viva México!

Hound Dog

Dec 26, 2009, 5:18 AM

Post #11 of 31 (7865 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There is, however, nothing like basking in the Mexican sun while reading weather reports from NOB. Aaaaah.

Good old satellite television. Canadian weather reports in the winter and Arizona weather reports in the summer.

Yes, Tashby; we thought Tucson would be a progressive city for Arizona and so it is (for Arizona, that is) but that was not enough to dissuade us from moving to Mexico once we thought of that alternative.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 26, 2009, 5:21 AM)

arbon

Dec 26, 2009, 8:36 AM

Post #12 of 31 (7827 views)

Shortcut

|
"There is, however, nothing like basking in the Mexican sun while reading weather reports from NOB. Aaaaah.

Good old satellite television. Canadian weather reports in the winter and Arizona weather reports in the summer."

Aaaaah must be another "Boxing day sale scam" going on, when comparing OUTSIDE temperatures NOB with temperatures

INSIDE .....Mexican houses, .....unheated in Winter, uncooled in Summer, and uninsulated all the time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hound Dog

Dec 26, 2009, 11:10 AM

Post #13 of 31 (7790 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] About Ajijic, food, music, people, and the "social life"

| Private Reply
Good old satellite television. Canadian weather reports in the winter and Arizona weather reports in the summer."

Aaaaah must be another "Boxing day sale scam" going on, when comparing OUTSIDE temperatures NOB with temperatures

INSIDE .....Mexican houses, .....unheated in Winter, uncooled in Summer, and uninsulated all the time.

Well, now Arbon - just a couple of points:

In the highlands where Dawg lives with homes at both 5,000 and 7,000 feet, no cooling is ever required except ceiling fans if you buy in the right location. As for "...unheated in winter....", that is a good point generally speaking. The lack of heating in the winter (and sometimes in the summer) in San Cristóbal de Las Casas in most homes and/or public places is a bit of a shock when one first moves down there so we made sure that the home we remodeled in San Cristóbal had plenty of propane wall heaters or gas fireplaces plus a woodburning fireplace in the living room that is the best and most well constructed fireplace we have ever had. We also insulated the house so I guess "...uninsulated all the time." should read; "usually not insulated except by some foreign residents".

We have a friend who grew up in Tunis who always told us he had never been as cold in Paris as he had been in Tunis.

Now, excuse me as I must go watch the NOB weather reports before I go for a walk on this pleasant sunny late December day at Lake Chapala. By the way, we have a guest from Ontario who enjoys the Canadian weather reports even more than we do.

Those of you planning to rent at Lake Chapala should make sure heating is adequate in any house you rent and also check for ceiling fans and adequate fresh air ventilation.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 26, 2009, 11:12 AM)

Manuel Dexterity

Dec 26, 2009, 11:24 AM

Post #14 of 31 (7783 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
"There is, however, nothing like basking in the Mexican sun while reading weather reports from NOB. Aaaaah.

Then you would have to compare heating and cooling bills in insulated homes NOB with uninsulated SOB.

And what those add to your cARBON footprint. Is green is always greener on your side?

arbon

Dec 26, 2009, 11:28 AM

Post #15 of 31 (7782 views)

Shortcut

|

I am very interested in how you had a house in Mexico insulated, and to what degree.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Manuel Dexterity

Dec 26, 2009, 11:39 AM

Post #16 of 31 (7777 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
All houses are insulated. It is a matter of degree...or semantics. Take your pick.

arbon

Dec 26, 2009, 12:12 PM

Post #17 of 31 (7774 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] About Ajijic, food, music, people, and the "social life"

|
The "BC Hydro" electric bill is for 62 days 1040kW.h @ $0.0591...$61.46. (that would be the same all year includes hot water)

"Vented" Gas hot water tanks are very expensive and don't last very long......Electric hot water tanks can be prorated for 12 years and are extremely well insulated.

Natural Gas bill 30 days 1.9 GJ @ 14.325 per GJ ...$27.22. (this would be 5 Months heating)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arbon

Dec 26, 2009, 12:18 PM

Post #18 of 31 (7772 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] About Ajijic, food, music, people, and the "social life"

|
"All houses are insulated. It is a matter of degree...or semantics. Take your pick. "

Even "Igloos" are a good place to chew the fat. Eh
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arbon

Dec 26, 2009, 2:03 PM

Post #19 of 31 (7755 views)

Shortcut

|
"Now, excuse me as I must go watch the NOB weather reports before I go for a walk on this pleasant sunny late December day at Lake Chapala."

I was to go and see the boxing day charity football (futbol) game to day but it is foggy, I wonder if they will need sleeves and gloves this year?

(there are always the other Lakeside forums to see the yellow and red cards being handed out)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hound Dog

Dec 26, 2009, 3:38 PM

Post #20 of 31 (7737 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
(there are always the other Lakeside forums to see the yellow and red cards being handed out)

Arbon:

Not everyone who posts or reads hereabouts understands this "red card yellow card" handing out business. My limited knowledge of Canadian sports tells me these are penalty notices used in the excessively civilized Frozen Tundra where it is so cold that if you punch some adversary in the nose it breaks off. If the nose actually breaks off, it´s a "red card".

In more discrete Alabama, we hang miscreants of all races and classes from the nearest live oak and retire to the porch for a bourbon and branch and a chance to charm Miss Charlotte while the fiend twists in the wind. Red Card, Yellow Card my ass. That´s for Canadian ice hockey thugs not Alabama gentlemen engaged in properly scheduled football matches.

No wonder we never attempted to incorporate the Frozen Tundra into our charming union.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 26, 2009, 3:38 PM)

arbon

Dec 26, 2009, 4:27 PM

Post #21 of 31 (7716 views)

Shortcut

|
Sorry Bob, those "Yellow and Red cards" would be World wide, and least of all Canada and the States.

These particular "Futbol" games would happen in Joco', Chapala, and Guad'.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

don pedro

Dec 26, 2009, 4:57 PM

Post #22 of 31 (7709 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
heaters are totally unnecessary,i have found, and anyone that blows money on nob type insulation is a fool.
yes, there is a forum here that hands out only yellow cards[not red] and it is rare to be thrown out of the game.
i know this because i am one of the referees.
why do you post this erroneous information bubinski? is it because you don't want any other ferners joining us or you are just ill informed yerself-SNORK!
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

arbon

Dec 26, 2009, 5:32 PM

Post #23 of 31 (7691 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] About Ajijic, food, music, people, and the "social life"

|

In Reply To
heaters are totally unnecessary,i have found, and anyone that blows money on nob type insulation is a fool.
yes, there is a forum here that hands out only yellow cards[not red] and it is rare to be thrown out of the game.
i know this because i am one of the referees.
why do you post this erroneous information bubinski? is it because you don't want any other ferners joining us or you are just ill informed yerself-SNORK!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hound Dog

Dec 26, 2009, 8:46 PM

Post #24 of 31 (7657 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] About Ajijic, food, music, people, and the "social life"

| Private Reply

Ah, Pedro, mi amigo; Dawg was unaware that you were acquainted with the Jovel Valley in Highland Chiapas at 7,000 feet. Dawg has never observed you strolling about San Cristóbal but perhaps that is because we have never crossed paths there as we have in the Chapala ghetto on numerous occasions. In Chiapas, we do not need what you refer to as "nob type insulation" as what we use there for insulation is three foot thick adobe walls that take up more space than your entire living room in that tarpaper shack of yours in Crapola but we must admit that we need propane heaters as we lack your incessant hot air bloviating forth to heat our maison you Alberta clodhopper.

We would invite you and Yvonne down to Chiapas for a visit if we thought that two bit Hog of yours could make it past La Barca.

Hound Dog

Dec 27, 2009, 5:43 AM

Post #25 of 31 (7618 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
THis has been a timely discussion as here in beautiful Ajijic, the Gentleman´s Ghetto, it is so cold in the morning (way down in the 60s Fahrenheit), we have all three propane wall heaters going full blast and a fire in the fireplace. Unlike the place in Chiapas this place at the lake is so poorly insulated it´s colder inside in the early morning than in the garden. You could age prime beef in our living room. Go figure.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 27, 2009, 5:47 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4