Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jmanuel

Dec 21, 2009, 5:57 PM

Post #1 of 14 (11625 views)

Shortcut

Question regarding crossing into Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello everybody! My Name is Manuel and I am new to these forums. I have a question regarding my visit to Mexico. I will be taking my family to meet thier grandparents in Guadalajara. I will be traveling in a 2008 GMC Yukon XL. I bought this vehicle in October thinking that I would have all the paperwork neccessary to cross into Mexico. And here lies my dilema. I have everything that is required: I have My Banjercito Sticker I did online. I have permission from my lienholder, I have Mexican Insurance BUT no Licence Plate. My plates have not came in, I have talked to the CA DMV and they assure me that it is going to arrive any day now. I have current registration but I cannot get another set of plates until the current plates are 30 days past due. My question is: Is it a problem to drive in Mexico without Plates? Thank You again

chinagringo

Dec 21, 2009, 6:15 PM

Post #2 of 14 (11615 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jmanuel] Question regarding crossing into Mexico

I would assume that you have a "temporary paper plate" that is displayed in the rear window. While we have never ventured into Mexico with such, I have observed many many vehicles heading south with temp plates from New Mexico and Texas - those being purchased in the U.S. for importation into Mexico. Since the States in Mexico typically issue both a front and rear plate, you may draw some interest from various police agencies but as long as your paperwork is in order, I would guess that you would not experience any real problems. Here in New Mexico, we are only issued a rear plate and a couple of years ago, we added a front souvenir plate to minimize curiosity by the police. Seems to have worked since we have never been stopped for any reason.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

jmanuel

Dec 21, 2009, 6:54 PM

Post #3 of 14 (11607 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Question regarding crossing into Mexico

Has anybody been stopped for not having rear plates? As far as the US is concerned, I am not worried. What I am worried is that by not having ANY plates that I would draw attention and therefore get stopped In Mexico by the Police, Military, Federales, etc I might have all the necessary paperwork but it just gives them that excuse.

Rolly

Dec 21, 2009, 7:00 PM

Post #4 of 14 (11605 views)

Shortcut

I think you are right to be worried. Not having any plates would be an invitation to pay mordidas. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Rolly Pirate

Reefhound

Dec 21, 2009, 8:17 PM

Post #5 of 14 (11584 views)

Shortcut

How can there be no plates? If bought used where are the plates that were previously on it? If missing, you should have been able to walk into a county clerk office and get replacement plates on the spot.

If bought new, the dealer should have issued temporary tags. I've never heard of new plates taking so long. Did you order a personalized plate?

Anyone know if they can do a plate lookup across the border? If he put on a set of plates from another car once across the border, would they know the difference?

Camille

Dec 21, 2009, 9:00 PM

Post #6 of 14 (11570 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Question regarding crossing into Mexico

In December of 2007 I crossed the border at Colombia driving a new-to-me Tundra with a paper plate and the bill of sale from the dealer showing it was paid for, and had no problem at all. I don't think you can drive in the states without at least a paper plate, right? You should have no problem, unless things have changed drastically since I did it.
Buena suerte!

jmanuel

Dec 22, 2009, 12:21 AM

Post #7 of 14 (11549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Question regarding crossing into Mexico

Well I have heard of other people with the bill of sale and proper paperwork going to mexico without plates and they have never had a problem but the question remains, Is it ilegal to drive without plates? And No, they are not personalized. Am I inviting being stopped by police? Can they take away my vehicle even though I have everything else in order? Should I take an "extra" Licence plate from another vehicle while in Mexico to drive around? California of course. Thank You for your input.

Reefhound

Dec 22, 2009, 7:32 AM

Post #8 of 14 (11524 views)

Shortcut

Personalized plates are the only case I could think that might take time to receive as they are "made to order". You didn't say whether this was bought from a dealer or an individual, or what happened with the plates that should have been on the car in the first place.

If you bought from a dealer and they were ordering you plates, go back to the dealer and tell them the plates are delayed and you need another temporary tag. There is a big difference between "no plates" and temporary paper plates.

I usually get my car permit online as well but don't remember - was there no place in the forms asking for plate number? Update: I looked at a scan of my last car permit (good idea to scan all your docs) and it seems they only collect VIN. My lienholder authorization also only notes VIN. But my Mex insurance policy includes plate number. You say you already have insurance so what did you put in for plate number?

I guess I'm confused because so far all I've heard is that you have no plates but no reasonable explanation WHY you have no plates. You have no obligation to tell us but IF you decide to drive it without plates you better have a reasonable explanation for the cop. If you drive it with false plates you better hope the cops can't look up U.S. plate numbers. The capabilities of Mexican cops tends to be a bit of an unknown factor though I wouldn't be surprised if they have this capability in the border areas where they deal often with U.S. plated vehicles.

(This post was edited by Reefhound on Dec 22, 2009, 7:40 AM)

jmanuel

Dec 22, 2009, 9:34 AM

Post #9 of 14 (11489 views)

Shortcut

Just to clarify. I bought this vehicle used in October from a dealer in Riverside CA with the full intention of taking this vehicle to Mexico for my trip. I did notice it did not have plates when I bought it and did not think nothing of it since I had almost 3 months to get everything. About Mid November I started to get concerned that I had not recieved My plates. I contacted DMV and they told me nothing had been processed and that dealerships have 60 days to process the paperwork. I contacted the dealer and sent in the paperwork by late November. DMV told me that it takes about 2 to 3 weeks to recieve my plates. I did get however duplicate copies of my registration that tell me on them the licence Plate # that I will be assigned. That is the # that I have put down for the Mexican insurance. I have Registration, Copy of Permision from Bank, Banjercito Papers, and Bill of Sale, Insurance.

Reefhound

Dec 22, 2009, 10:14 AM

Post #10 of 14 (11475 views)

Shortcut

I would have been more concerned about the reasons for lack of plates at time of purchase. Water under the bridge. But make sure the VIN on the dash matches the VIN on the door matches the VIN on the paperwork.

Sounds like the dealer lagged in turning in the paperwork, at least the DMV now is processing them. You'll probably get the plates soon. When are you leaving?

If you don't have them, my guess is you'll be alright although you will stand out and may have to explain the situation a few times and put up with a few more morditas but you should be able to ultimately resolve the issue and prove the car is legitimate.

mexliving

Dec 23, 2009, 2:22 AM

Post #11 of 14 (11418 views)

Shortcut

go to google and type / mexico traza tu ruta ..... so that you have all the toll fees and kilometers.... remember its about 1500 miles to gdl...

Zarcero

Dec 23, 2009, 6:48 AM

Post #12 of 14 (11400 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Question regarding crossing into Mexico

I'm with Rolly on this one. While I believe the mordida thing is way overblown, given the type of vehicle you are driving and with no plates, you are attracting attention. If the vehicle were black, even more so. Take the bus.

jmanuel

Dec 23, 2009, 5:53 PM

Post #13 of 14 (11358 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zarcero] Question regarding crossing into Mexico

Got my plates! Came in today! Thanks for all your help. And no, 3 Adults and 3 KIds with multiple pieces of luggage is not the best way to travel on a bus.

Zarcero

Dec 24, 2009, 5:42 AM

Post #14 of 14 (11315 views)

Shortcut

And no, 3 Adults and 3 KIds with multiple pieces of luggage is not the best way to travel on a bus.

You are correct! Take a plane :o) Glad you got your plates, you should be okay.

(This post was edited by Zarcero on Dec 24, 2009, 5:43 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4