Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Oscar2

Dec 20, 2009, 11:04 AM

Post #1 of 18 (10360 views)

Shortcut

Morelia Treats

Can't Post | Private Reply
At popular request, more of our Morelia trip will hopefully enlighten you and others of the true nature of the mysterious, not to often talked about nooks and crannies of a Morelia we found not only exciting, very pleasant but also made some great friends during our two week stay there and Patzcuaro.

Like some people, every now and then one gets an inkling for something different. I in particular enjoy Tacos Al Pastor and some just don’t care for them. If you like them, or just want to ease-drop, read-on. Some places are better than others, taste wise and finding the best can be an adventure and yes, some work. I’ve found and a good rule of thumb is, to make ample enquires of the locals. While walking through the shadows of the towering walls of Morelia’s buildings, in retrospect, the main boulevard to me is like walking through the wondrous steep shadowed canyons of those who dwelt in the past. Speaking Spanish to the locals with the lead question of finding tacos al pastor and where most of the locals buy them, gets results. After getting a variety of responses, generally they will hit upon the same place a number of times.

The place in the photo takes up quite a bit of room in the building and all the tables were full. People were just standing around either waiting to sit down or take their order with them. The place is perpetually jammed with young school and college kids, adults and more. Why, well it’s the first time I’ve seen Tacos Al Pastor for 2 pesos each. A dollar gets you 6 tacos. Granted they are small but boy are they tasty. The owner, a dark skinned gentleman, mans the till and his battery of very young high school or college waitress’s stand in line to shuffle receipts toward him to ring up the till. The damn place is busy, busy. I liked this because it’s a good indicator that the food turnaround keeps itself fresh.

The photo shows what they call a Pastor piña (shaped like a pineapple) On the very top you’ll also see a piece of a pineapple which the person serving the meat swipes his knife across it with each cut to give the meat sliced a taste of pineapple. The tacos are small, so I requested double portions with each.

I spoke to the owner and mentioned I was impressed at how much business he gets and he said sometimes it gets so busy, people get frustrated and just leave because even the upstairs tables are filled beyond capacity. Its a little jewel in the rough found within the canyons and nooks and crannies of Morelia’s El Centro Histórico…… People watching here is lots of fun…

Next will be the great pedestrian friendly movie theaters which house Morelia’s own gastronomical treats……yummmmm

Taqueria La Brazas
333 Horario
Centro Histórico
Morelia-hermosa

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Dec 20, 2009, 12:33 PM)
Attachments: Taqueria La Brazas-1.jpg (139 KB)

Rolly

Dec 20, 2009, 11:35 AM

Post #2 of 18 (10317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Tacos Al Pastor in Morelia

Hi Oscar, I took the liberity of moving your post over here with a new name.

I also photoshoped your nice picture:

Rolly Pirate

Oscar2

Dec 20, 2009, 12:06 PM

Post #3 of 18 (10305 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Tacos Al Pastor in Morelia

Why thank you Rolly, nice job. Is it possible to change the title to “Morelia’s Treats.” Incidentally, I love the color of your little Pooch. Dogs can be such warm friends, I’ve had them for many, many years and can hardly remember life without them.

Oscar

Peter

Dec 20, 2009, 3:12 PM

Post #4 of 18 (10280 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Oscar. Your notes on your travels around Morelia are telling me about some places right under my I haven't yet visited. From the 333 address I see it is somewhere around 3 blocks from calles Madero or Morelos. You wouldn't by chance recall the street name just before the 333 or the times given just after Horario would you? I like tacos al pastor and they are not the three ubiquitous flavors of bistec, chorizo, tripa found in almost every other taqueria. So far my favorite pastor tacos come from a shop on Acueducto, I'd like to compare, especially at that price.

(This post was edited by Peter on Dec 20, 2009, 3:56 PM)

Oscar2

Dec 21, 2009, 12:42 PM

Post #5 of 18 (10226 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Tacos Al Pastor in Morelia

Peter,

Excuse the delay but we were very busy yesterday with our 3rd of 3 friends Christmas parity’s. I knew this was going to be the last of our friends home Christmas parties. So, prior to yesterdays, pacing oneself so that you wouldn’t feel like crap induced by a hangover when two parties are back to back, we went light on the cocktails on the first of the back to back, and of coarse, the majority of our racquetball nut/friends parties exuberance bounced off the walls with smiles, laughter, tall tales and well wishes that ring in Christmas and the New Year with the ping of toasting glasses.

Now it’s getting back to the business of completing our Christmas shopping, wrapping and preparing the Christmas meal we provide for our immediate family of 20. Peter, as a Christmas present, I will PM you after I talk to mi Profesora, Maria Helena. She’s a great gal, smart, petit, and maybe you and her can take Salsa lessons…. ;-)

Now getting back to the original Taqueria business. I think I screwed up the address a bit, so I edited a photo which through the ages, the address painted on the decaying walls of time, perhaps you or someone else familiar with Morelia’s locations, can assist in giving life to a Taqueria, I hope you enjoy, as much as we did.
Attachments: Taqueria Las Brazas Address-1.jpg (63.5 KB)

Oscar2

Dec 21, 2009, 12:52 PM

Post #6 of 18 (10223 views)

Shortcut

Rolly,

Just outside the Taqueria that day, another little hand held pooch had his or hers jacket on in the colors of the republic. Incidentally, how can I include the photo in my post without it being an attachment? I see you guys doing it all the time and I think that is keen.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Dec 21, 2009, 12:53 PM)
Attachments: Pooch and pretty lady-1.jpg (115 KB)

Rolly

Dec 21, 2009, 1:57 PM

Post #7 of 18 (10200 views)

Shortcut

The only way to have a photo appear in the post is to have the photo file residing on the internet and linkk to it in your post. Unfortunately you cannot load it directly from your hard drive. i have my own website, so I have a place to park photos online. There are services that allow you to store photos online. I don't remember the names. Perhaps someone will come along and answer that.

Rolly Pirate

Anonimo

Dec 21, 2009, 2:04 PM

Post #8 of 18 (10191 views)

Shortcut

There are services that allow you to store photos online. I don't remember the names. Perhaps someone will come along and answer that.

Por ejemplo;
Flickr, SmugMug, WebShots, Pbase, and Picasa Web Albums, among others.
I use the last two, and Picasa Web Albums is by far the easiest to use.

Once your photo is uploaded to a service such as those above, you can learn how to link to it in a post on Mexconnect.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

tashby

Dec 21, 2009, 3:00 PM

Post #9 of 18 (10178 views)

Shortcut

This is a real long shot, but..... based on the description, Oscar2's Taqueria sounds a LOT like the one on Calle Aldama, just a bit *edit* EAST of Abasolo, north side of the street. We were staying about a block or so from there. I remember it being very busy and silly cheap. Lots of young people in that neighborhood, etc. Different types of tacos, including al Pastor.

The photos neither confirm nor disprove. The woman with the dog *could* be on Aldama based on the direction of traffic, but that sure doesn't look like Abasolo behind her since it's not a big enough street. Seemed to me the place had something silly about its name....like "Tako" with a "k" or something equally ridiculous.

Good luck in your search!

P.S. Ooops. I meant for this to get to Peter, who's in search of...

P.P.S./EDIT: I meant EAST of Abasolo! But I was zooming into the photo - guess I'm bored today - and I'm thinking it's less likely that the woman with the dog is on Aldama.

(This post was edited by tashby on Dec 21, 2009, 3:57 PM)

Papirex

Dec 21, 2009, 4:41 PM

Post #10 of 18 (10153 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Tacos Al Pastor in Morelia

Anonimo, Smugmug is probably the easiest site to use to post a photo to an online website, but people should know it is not a free site. I have forgotten exactly what I pay per year to use it, but I am grandfathered in at a much lower price than is charged today. I think it costs about $50 US Dollars per year now for a basic account like I have now. It is a very good personal photo online site. I also use Picasa, it is free.

Rex

http://papirex.smugmug.com/
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by Papirex on Dec 21, 2009, 4:42 PM)

Oscar2

Dec 21, 2009, 7:30 PM

Post #11 of 18 (10131 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Tacos Al Pastor in Morelia

Tashby,

Enclosed is an edited photo with a view of the locations signage. Based on your description of the sign, I don’t believe it’s the same silly or ridicules sign. In fact it’s pretty straight forward. The closest thing which I agree is kind of ridicules is 6 tacos for a-buck.

As mentioned they were a bit small but there taste (at least for me) encouraged double meat portions at 3 tacos for a dollar. Still not such a bad deal that is, if tacos al pastor is your thing or perhaps makes your taste buds smile a bit. Si..

Thanks for the ol’try in locating one of Morelia’s local's favorites based on the action all the warm bodies which consistently keep the tables simmering …
Attachments: Taqueria La Brazas Sign 2-1.jpg (57.1 KB)

tashby

Dec 21, 2009, 8:41 PM

Post #12 of 18 (10115 views)

Shortcut

Definitely not the place I'm thinking of based on that photo.

The search continues.....all part of the fun.

Oscar2

Dec 22, 2009, 12:41 PM

Post #13 of 18 (10069 views)

Shortcut

CREPES SUZETTES

Finding tacos al pastor will give you a tour of Morelia, but its just a drop in the bucket. The following is another find we enjoyed and would like to share. We’ll give it a French title of Crepes Suzette's.

First off I like the cut of your curiosity and humor Tashby. While in Morelia, everyday is an experience in a land I’ve looked forward to visiting and learning as much as I could in a short span of two weeks. Another one of the delights found was something we really enjoy and those are well prepared thin crepes. We found them in the most unlikely place (for us) and they were everything we were hoping they’d be.

Crepes aren’t found just anywhere in Morelia and the same applies for other cities. The mystery and question is, where. Well, for those of you who’ve tooled around Morelia, where are they? HINT: They are very thin about 18 inches or better in diameter, fluffy and offer up ingredients that vary from ham, cheese, chicken, too a variety of mixed fruit berries and nuts, chocolate, custards, cream and so much more. Also the big hint is, at this particular location, entertainment is available…..

I know, its like where’s Waldo but then again, seeking eyes attached to curiosity can at times reveal small surprises which can give you a little more kick to your step…

esperanza

Dec 22, 2009, 1:37 PM

Post #14 of 18 (10051 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] CREPES SUZETTES

We like the crepes at La Creperie, on Calle Leona Vicario. It's an added treat that the owners are friends of ours!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Anonimo

Dec 22, 2009, 3:26 PM

Post #15 of 18 (10036 views)

Shortcut

Crepes aren’t found just anywhere in Morelia and the same applies for other cities. The mystery and question is, where. Well, for those of you who’ve tooled around Morelia, where are they? HINT: They are very thin about 18 inches or better in diameter, fluffy and offer up ingredients that vary from ham, cheese, chicken, too a variety of mixed fruit berries and nuts, chocolate, custards, cream and so much more. Also the big hint is, at this particular location, entertainment is available…..

¡Cinépolis Centro!

Saludos,
Anonimo

Oscar2

Dec 23, 2009, 12:19 PM

Post #16 of 18 (10000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] CREPES SUZETTES

Anonimo,

¡Cinépolis Centro!

I’m almost convinced you are the winner but not sure because Cinepolis is correct but I believe there is two of these giant Cineplex’s, Si? The one I’m referring to is adjacent to Walmart. Our taxi dropped us off one day and while previewing the movies inside, features are shown in English with Mexican subtitles. This is where we discovered the Crepes discussed. Mexico never fails to amaze me because wherever you go, street corners, little cubby holes in buildings and more, there is always food being served. Something like Crepes in theaters I’ve never seen in the States. Why hasn’t a franchise flourished with such offering…..could it be the EPA?

Oscar2

Dec 23, 2009, 12:33 PM

Post #17 of 18 (9996 views)

Shortcut

THE VIRGINS OF MORELIA?

SP,

Didn’t know about the Crepe place you mentioned but it sounds like a place were seating is provided and its specialty probably makes the servings delicious. Next time I’m there I’ll be sure to try it. In the interim, there is another fascinating tale, which follows.

Its a microcosm, a speck next to Central Park NYC, but its leafy, with trees abounding and a fountain with grassy areas where one can take respite between the rustic giant called la ciudad de la cantera rosa, a city ornately structured with pink quarry stone unique too and known throughout the world, as it stood for centuries in Morelia’s Centro Historico.

It’s a quiet street away from the throng of traffic anxious to get somewhere quick on La Calle Principal. As we sit there in the outside Euro rows of umbrella tables of various restaurants, sipping coffee or something cool, just enjoying the marvelous weather and chatting. In our vision across the street from this quaint park, this ornate marvelous structure sports a high second floor ornate railing where its said the virgins of Morelia were housed ages ago. They were young girls and woman in waiting with aspirations which envisioned permanent settlement with a family which would fulfill their dreams, way back then.

The young men, and boys would cat call these lovely young women from the street below and fall in love with them from afar. Its said they would cast up stones with notes attached to win their favor with wondrous results. If you’ve toured Morelia or have heard of such, what and where is this mysterious place given to the romantic past?

Anonimo

Dec 23, 2009, 4:16 PM

Post #18 of 18 (9973 views)

Shortcut

Well, I have seen the crepería in Cinépolis Centro, but I've not looked much into Cinépolis La Huerta (Wal-Mart plaza). I imagine that there's one there, also.

The Premium Flagship Morelia Cinépolis is said to be the new one at Plaza Las Américas, near Sears and Liverpool; where $90 pesos gets you a reclining seat with a cup holder and a tray, while servers come around to take your order, and bring it to you at your seat. Todd McIntosh wrote about that on his blog, a couple of years ago.

We have on occasion looked in the Cinépolis' with the hope of finding a film that appeals to us, but so far, nothing has.

The first, last and only film we've seen was El Último Samurái, back in 2004, where I didn't have a crepe, being not much a crepe fan; although they did make a fair espresso.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4