First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

robt65

Dec 14, 2009, 2:17 PM

Post #26 of 71 (19391 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hey Wendy,

Sure would like to know how you arrived in this part of the world. Care to share with us?

Robert

tashby

Dec 14, 2009, 4:14 PM

Post #27 of 71 (19372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

We just moved to Mexico in April of '08 so we're complete newbies.

Prior to moving here, had spent a lot of time in Mexico. Grew up in Southern California and would frequently make runs into Baja when I was young. (I was the one in the Volkswagon.) Have been on countless vacation trips over the years.

Anyway, a couple of years ago decided it was time to leave Seattle. We were investigating a couple of places in the U.S. when a friend turned to me and said, "Why are you considering there when what you really want to do is move to Mexico?"

And she was right.

So we sold the house and came down. Currently living in Ajijic but it's entirely possible we'll end up somewhere else. In fact, in all the Mexico trips we'd never even been to Ajijic before. Since we hadn't really decided the "where in Mexico?" question, our plan has always been to use this as a base and see if we find somewhere we like better.

So far, so good. Regrets? Not one.

(This post was edited by tashby on Dec 14, 2009, 4:16 PM)

robt65

Dec 14, 2009, 4:50 PM

Post #28 of 71 (19355 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Well Tashby . . . . .

You never did fill out your profile so . . . I have nothing else to call you by but "Tashby". I hope others do not follow your lead and not send in their story only because they think they are new here. . . . . . #$%& I am probably the newest of the bunch! Time means nothing when it comes to the hows and why we were all driven (pardon the pun) to come SOB. As I said before . . . . .everyone has a story to tell. I find them all interesting. I sure that others do also.

What part of So. Cal were you raised in? I use to come herre in the "other bug" headed outh of the border past T.J.!!!! We loved to go on down to "Baja" as we called it . . . . . yes even back then it was just plain ole' Baja! The shrimp and the gas were cheap and the ladies plentiful. We lived in a tent and learned about sand fleas! Wish I had been a little smarter back then and went to more cultural events. Oh well .. . . . such is youth!

Seems a number of people moved to the Ajijic area. What's the draw there? I have to visit that place some day. Must be something special there or about that part of the country. (smiling)

Good to get to know ya "Tashby"

Hope you have been a good boy and that Santa doesn't put a lump of coal in yer stockin! (smiling again)

Happy Christmas and a Good New Year to you and yours.

Robert

cookj5

Dec 19, 2009, 3:35 PM

Post #29 of 71 (19262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

In Reply To
Way back there, I was an on-line adviser to Moctezuma. Then I moved to Lerdo in May 2000.

Rolly, I had heard you had an office in Teotihuacan back when it was a jumpin' place. Verdad? I thoroughly discount the rumors that you lived briefly with the Olmecs over on the coast. Must have been some other Rolly carved up on that stelae...

Rolly

Dec 19, 2009, 3:44 PM

Post #30 of 71 (19254 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

I've been everywhere
I've been everywhere
Crossed the deserts bare
I've breathed the mountain air
Travel...I've had my share
I've been everywhere

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 19, 2009, 3:46 PM)

Hound Dog

Dec 19, 2009, 4:22 PM

Post #31 of 71 (19243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

So we sold the house and came down. Currently living in Ajijic but it's entirely possible we'll end up somewhere else. In fact, in all the Mexico trips we'd never even been to Ajijic before. Since we hadn't really decided the "where in Mexico?" question, our plan has always been to use this as a base and see if we find somewhere we like better.

Well, I don´t know you or your age , Tashby, to the best of my knowledge, but I will give you some unsolicited advice. What you think you want when you get here from where-ever you came is almost assuredly not what you think it is. We settled in Ajijic nine years ago because we found a house we loved and because:
* The town was near Guadalajara and its international airport.
* We had (in those days) endless kilometers of walking trails on a receded lake´s huge beach upon which to walk our monster mastiffs for hours on end all the way from San Juan Cosala to La Floresta.
* The area had (and has) a great climate.
* The property we found had a splendid, mature garden with many trees including numerous citrus trees.
* We did not then speak Spanish and liked that fact that we could communicate with ease because of the large expat community.

That was the beginning of 2001. Later we found none of that stuff to be critically important. Well, except for that garden and that climate.

Since about 2003 we have been trying to get out of here while also not getting out of here. That´s a complicated story but what I´m trying to say to you is that you should make no long term commitments.

In 2006 we bought another home in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas. That turned out to be a fine idea.

More late. Gotta go.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 19, 2009, 5:09 PM)

robbers

Dec 20, 2009, 4:44 PM

Post #32 of 71 (19172 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

So, Dawg, in addition to some of those reasons becoming unimportant or less important, did you also discover any negative aspects of living there. And, if so, could you elaborate? In your usual sensitive, diplomatic style, of course. Thanks.

(This post was edited by robbers on Dec 20, 2009, 4:47 PM)

Judy in Ags

Dec 21, 2009, 11:44 AM

Post #33 of 71 (19109 views)

Shortcut

We moved here to Aguascalientes, AGS, Mexico nearly 7 years ago. I had a decent web page detailing the move, etc. Google decided to quit supporting googlepages, but amazingly the web page is pretty intact. I haven't been able to update it in a while, but almost all the information is current.

http://sites.google.com/site/judysny/home
Attachments: HP 2009_05-02-09_f.JPG (37.4 KB)

Hound Dog

Dec 21, 2009, 11:58 AM

Post #34 of 71 (19105 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robbers] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Well, robbers, I don´t wish to shock any of my detractors but I really don´t have anything negative to say about living in the area locals call Lakeside. It´s a good base for your travels in Mexico and also a good place to start your personal adventure in this country. If you are put off by the large expat colony then , what the hell, you can socialize with locals once you have a grasp of Spanish and many locals at Lakeside speak passing to excellent English.

Just what does one want in a retirement community? Think of this:

A livable and largely uncongested somewhat cosmopolitan small community fronting a huge lake with one of the best, if not the best, climates in the world and within a short drive of Mexico´s second city of Metropolitan Guadalajara with tremendous urban amenities and a number of splendid residential areas to say nothing of a top notch medical and dental establishment and some outstanding hospital facilities most communities on Earth could only dream of having plus a major international airport that is a breeze to use, rarely congested and a one hour flight from Mexico City; one of the world´s greatest conurbations but also within a few short driving hours of beautiful Pacific Coast beaches and charming high mountain villages and towns and some great colonial cities both large and small in most directions within a moderate driving time to say nothing of the very best international specialty grocer in Mexico supplemented by fine international delis and grocers and liquor stores in Guadaljara and a good to very good and varied restaurant scene with both national and international fare and myriad local merchants and contractors and service people for shopping and problem solving and I could go on and on but enough for now.

So, for what are you looking? Join us. Well, except for me as I may be in Chiapas when you arrive because no place and nobody is perfect unless one is six feet under so Dawg needs a periodic reality check as long as I´m on the planet.

Peter

Dec 21, 2009, 1:05 PM

Post #35 of 71 (19095 views)

Shortcut

It's hard to say exactly how long I've officially lived here. It's getting close to five years ago that I first came to this city and in a few short months was in the process of moving in but still had a job NOB with months of accumulated vacation time to burn off and enough low-priced dental work to do here to justify burning up much of my accumulated sick leave as well. It was about a year and a half to be fully retired and then a house to sell before the market would collapse. I had many trips back and forth, fortunately there is an internationl airport here, staying here weeks and months at a time but eventually everything was done and I have not left Mexico in well over two years now and no desire to leave or ever go back NOB.

I also had thoughts about going to Chapala first to mainstream into Mexico before moving on, visited there and liked it OK, but had a friend in California that brought me here. He had a lot next to his sister's house to build on and someone close by to keep an eye on all it while I was away, so ended up here in Michoacán in its capitol city.

Part of the attraction here is being very close to Lago de Pátzcuaro where Vasco de Quiroga organized the local pueblos, each having a particular trade suited to its area, and the town of Pátzcuaro as the trade center. That gives me plenty of day trips to make to poke around these pueblos, which could take the rest of my life, some towns being very close by and others a bit further. Living in the city generally keeps me well-occupied on a daily basis but I've been known to spend some time on the coast, about a three-hour drive, or rent a hotel room in Pátzcuaro for some leisurely poking around day and night.

No regrets. But now I also rent a house downtown in order to be in the middle of all that's happening in addition to owning the other newer home in a less exciting area of town, but it's very close to the Monarcas home stadium, less than a klic so about a ten-minute walk, so that house still gets used when futbol is the agenda or just want a different place to hang out.

(This post was edited by Peter on Dec 21, 2009, 1:14 PM)

robbers

Dec 21, 2009, 3:58 PM

Post #36 of 71 (19055 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Well, robbers, I don´t wish to shock any of my detractors but I really don´t have anything negative to say about living in the area locals call Lakeside.

Dawg (my favorite poster),

I'm disappointed. I set you up with a lob and all you do is lob it back? Kidding aside, that was a very useful briefing, appreciate you taking time. As for what I'm looking for, last time I checked, this thread was not about me, but I'll use your invitation for some personal indulgence which may spark some interesting exchanges.

Mostly, I've narrowed it down to Lakeside or Cuernavaca, though my mind, regrettably, isn't narrow enough to obviate any changes that may include somewhere else. One thing I love about Cuernavaca is a neighborhood in the far north called Colonia Del Bosque. It's significantly higher than the city proper and in a separate eco-zone with pine trees and an almost alpine feel to it. But still 15 - 20 minutes from the Zocalo.

Though it may exist, I don't know of a similar situation Lakeside. But if someone knows of one, any information will be most appreciated and the favor will be returned with any information you may want about Nashville which enjoys the distinction of being simultaneously one hour ahead of New York City and 15 years behind.

Thanks again, Dawg...or Mr. Dawg to me.

Regards,
Rob

Hound Dog

Dec 21, 2009, 5:49 PM

Post #37 of 71 (19032 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for your kind words, Rob. I just returned from that grocery in Ajijic I designated as the best internationally oriented tienda in Mexico where I had ventured seeking commonplace coriander and caraway seeds I needed for a simple chicken dish based upon the principles of East Indian cuisine and they not only did not have these things but they had no idea what I was talking about. "No Hay." is the mantra of Mexico so I returned home and substituted cumin seeds for caraway seeds and an old garam masala mixture which contains a bit of ground coriander seed and made this exotic dish with substituted ingredients which, I must say, turned out pretty well and that, in the past decade, I have found, gets me through when I feel the urge to cook exotic foods in Mexico.

I would personally recommend you try Cuernavaca as a headquarters for your search. After Cuernavaca I would suggest Oaxaca City although, outside of its exquisite historic center, it is a bit a a dump. Lakeside is a bit like the Journey´s End Mobile Home Estates and Outpatient Amusement Park. You can buy a ticket for a fifteen minute ride but the ride aftermath is highly depressing.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 21, 2009, 5:51 PM)

donemry

Dec 22, 2009, 5:46 AM

Post #38 of 71 (18981 views)

Shortcut

Robbers, re this - "any information you may want about Nashville which enjoys the distinction of being simultaneously one hour ahead of New York City and 15 years behind."

I know that we are 1 hour behind New York, but I am not sure about the number of years and relative direction.

Hound Dog

Dec 23, 2009, 8:08 AM

Post #39 of 71 (18891 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Well, robbers, Dawg has been to Chattanooga and Memphis and may have been to Nashville passing through on my way to Birmingham from Illinois back in the 70s but my memory is not so good these days. As noted by donemry, Nashville is not technically one hour ahead of New York City but as for that 15 years behind remark, I, as one who spent a bit of time years ago working in Manhattan and might have lived there then had I had the opportunity and not already become a resident of much more livable San Francisco, shall interpret what I think you meant by that 15 years behind remark regarding living in a medium sized regional city such as Nashville or semi-rural area such as Lake Chapala or San Cristóbal da Las Casas vs. a frenetic megalopolis such as NYC.

Dawg is closing in on 68 years old and lives in Mexico as he has for the past nine years but there was a time when I might have preferred to live in Manhattan over Mexico but that time is 15 years behind me as as I get older small towns are more to my liking than they were when I was a whippersnapper and huge cities irritate me more than please me. Therefore, New York is 15 years behind Mexico.

Is that what you were driving at with the time remark? Great logical thinking I say.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 23, 2009, 8:25 AM)

Papirex

Dec 23, 2009, 9:56 AM

Post #40 of 71 (18854 views)

Shortcut

I'm with you on the small towns Bob. I have always preferred living in a small town within easy driving distance of a large city. Before California filled up with wartime immigrants and only had a state population of about 3 or 4 million people it total, Napa used to be ideal, the population there when I was a kid was only 6800 people.. It used to only take about an hour to drive to San Francisco or Oakland, even on the 2 or 3 lane highways in those days.

There used to be a lot of 3 lane highways in California. The center lane was for passing. It was commonly called the “suicide lane.” One of the things I liked about Anchorage and now Cuernavaca is that they both seem more like big towns rather than a big city, but with all the services of a big city.

I do wish the news reporters would quit calling Cuernavaca a “resort city” it isn't.

The recent local troubles with the shootout was kind of a non-event for most of us here. I did read some posts about it on a local Yahoo group as it was happening. People that lived in the colonia of Limones were reporting that they heard machine gun fire, and military troops were blocking some streets, but nobody knew who was fighting who, or why, until three days had passed and it was all over.

The revelations of local political, police and army corruption is not news to us here, or anywhere in México. Two days ago, I did see some troops on a major divided boulevard here, about 6 or 8 in each lane. They were fully armed and wearing combat fatigues. I don't know why they were there, they were just waving all cars through.

The local corruption has not affected us much but I do hope the military will assume a role in governance here now, we have had zero police protection for a long time as is usual in most of México. A few years ago our house was burglarized. When we called the police, they refused to send any investigators to our house until I came to the police station with a list of the things that were stolen, and proof that they were stolen. I don't know how to prove that anything missing after a break-in was stolen.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

RickS

Dec 23, 2009, 10:38 AM

Post #41 of 71 (18839 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Yes, I'm afraid there are a lot of "used to''s for many of us.......

Anonimo

Dec 23, 2009, 4:20 PM

Post #42 of 71 (18800 views)

Shortcut

I once bought coriander seed in a mercado in Morelia, under the name, "Semillas de cilantro."

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Dec 23, 2009, 5:45 PM

Post #43 of 71 (18781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

In Reply To
I once bought coriander seed in a mercado in Morelia, under the name, "Semillas de cilantro."

That's exactly what coriander is, of course.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Dec 23, 2009, 8:50 PM

Post #44 of 71 (18759 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

In recent years in the States, the word cilantro has come to replace coriander in many places, especially where there is a sizeable Mexican population and decent Mexican food to be had.

Hound Dog

Dec 24, 2009, 3:56 AM

Post #45 of 71 (18741 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

That's exactly what coriander is, of course.

It happens that "semillas de ciilantro" is what I requested at Super Lake and that did not ring a bell with them. Since we are having so much fun with this; in my old San Francisco neighborhood adjacent to Chinatown, cilantro is known as chinese parsley. In France carraway seeds are called "cumin" and coriander, carraway and cumin are all seeds of a variety of parsley. That´s not all. In Thailand fried chicken is made in part by marinating the chicken pieces in finely diced fresh cilantro (coriander) roots which are often, although not always, missing from the fresh coriander you buy in Mexican markets. The best fried chicken I ever tasted. Look for fresh cilantro at your local municipal market or tianguis and you may be able to buy it with the roots still on.

No matter; unless one of you guys knows how to harvest "poke salad", this Alabama redneck is way ahead of you.

Glenn

Dec 24, 2009, 4:37 AM

Post #46 of 71 (18738 views)

Shortcut

Use to occasionally harvest and eat poke salad. Never did much like the taste, but it was a great purgative.

wendy devlin

Dec 24, 2009, 5:42 PM

Post #47 of 71 (18660 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Glenn] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

This thread got me Googling......if nothing but to keep up with y'all Southern folk.

Young pokeweed leaves can be boiled three times to reduce the toxin, discarding the water after each boiling. The result is known as poke salit, or poke salad, and is occasionally available commercially.[1] Many authorities advise against eating pokeweed even after thrice boiling, as traces of the toxin may still remain. It should never be eaten uncooked. For many decades, poke salad has been a staple of southern U.S. cuisine, despite campaigns by doctors who believed pokeweed remained toxic even after being boiled. The lingering cultural significance of Poke salad can be found in the 1969 hit song "Polk Salad Annie," written and performed by Tony Joe White, and famously covered by Elvis Presley, as well as other bands including the El Orbits of Houston, Texas.

Kind of reminds me, of my late teens, when interest in eating 'wild plants' and youthful enthusiasm was at its peak.

Took an early spring hike with intent of identifying 'Wild edible plants of B.C.' from a government issued guide. The book stated Indigenous people of our region, traditionally ate the leaves of Lysichiton americanus, sometimes called yellow skunk cabbage. This plant found in swamps and wet woods, along streams in the Pacific Northwest.

I spotted the plant, and broke off a segment of leaf, no bigger than your pinky finger nail. And nibbled. Seconds later. Found my throat severely constricted and myself gasping to get air.
Knew enough about basic first-aid to know, had been poisoned. And to dilute the poison if possible. (given kilometers away from any medical help) Knelt down at a thawing snow stream and drank copiously. My throat relaxed and easy breathing returned.

When I got back home, my emotions running the gamut between being totally thankful and royally pissed-off, reread the chapter about ingesting lysichiton americanus.

Turns out, if you studied(and remembered the whole chapter!)indigenous people, traditionally boiled salad greens three times. And threw away the water between boilings.

Sounds like a little like pokeweed:)

There's no way, in my limited understanding at that time, would have thought boiling greens 3 times and throwing the water away, would have rendered the said green, nutritious or much good for eating. My bad. Lived to tell this cautionary tale.

Need-less to say, the experience, got me reading and remembering more attentively much subject material. Less willing to live(or not!) the experience.

tashby

Dec 24, 2009, 6:42 PM

Post #48 of 71 (18649 views)

Shortcut

The last handful-or-so number of posts may just represent the greatest ThreadJack in the history of the internet. It makes me giggle....which, makes it another Christmas gift.

Happy Holidays!

marcellaswings

Dec 29, 2009, 5:47 PM

Post #49 of 71 (18540 views)

Shortcut

Can anyone out there help me w/a stupid question. We're thinking of living in Mexico when we retire but everyone here(U.S.) tells me we can't buy a home in Mexico because it's against the law. But all of you live there. What's the catch?

Rolly

Dec 29, 2009, 6:00 PM

Post #50 of 71 (18535 views)

Shortcut

Re: [marcellaswings] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Your friends don't know what they are talking about. You can buy a home in México. There are some restrictions near the coasts, but it is still possible.

Rolly Pirate
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4