First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

00tennis

Dec 19, 2009, 11:24 AM

Post #1 of 32 (6991 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Ajijic Possibly?

| Private Reply
Hola,

Currently considering relocating to Ajijic/Lake Chapala from overseas. I am here in MX now and am also looking at Merida (bit too expat/gringo perhaps-prefer few more locals/culture) and Oaxaca and Manzanillo.

If anyone lives or has lived in Ajijic/Lake Chapala would be great to hear how it is in regards to weather/culture/cost of living/rental long term prices per month/airport (can you fly to major cities from here to other countries?) Beach/lake/jungle/rain forest would be nice with tropical warm climate.

Also DSL line/fast internet is a requirement for my work-Telmex reliability etc.

Mucho Gracias

Jason (brit in Mehico ;-)

Gringal

Dec 19, 2009, 11:54 AM

Post #2 of 32 (6974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [00tennis] Moving to Ajijic Possibly?

| Private Reply
I think you need far more information than can be provided in a posting here. I'd suggest you go to the bookstore or library at this point and read about various areas in Mexico. This is the Central Highlands. Way different from Merida or the coast. It is, among other things...expat intensive.

You might check Rollybrook.com site for information or better yet, buy the book he and Carol Schmidt have for sale. You'll find the contact info. on his site.

00tennis

Dec 19, 2009, 11:58 AM

Post #3 of 32 (6966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Moving to Ajijic Possibly?

| Private Reply
Thanks Gringal for your advice - read a lot about crime on/near lake Chapala as well-shame as great climate; the search continues amigo! I will visit and check it out though.

Jase

bournemouth

Dec 19, 2009, 12:16 PM

Post #4 of 32 (6958 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Coming for a vist is the very best thing you can do. You'll know very quickly if the feeling of the area is good for you or not.
Good luck.

00tennis

Dec 19, 2009, 12:18 PM

Post #5 of 32 (6954 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Moving to Ajijic Possibly?

| Private Reply
Cheers Bournemouth - I presume you live there now? If yes how do YOU find living there?

Jase

bournemouth

Dec 19, 2009, 2:02 PM

Post #6 of 32 (6932 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Both your respondents live in the Lake Chapala area - send a p.m. with specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them, from my perspective of course.

Hound Dog

Dec 19, 2009, 5:00 PM

Post #7 of 32 (6906 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Currently considering relocating to Ajijic/Lake Chapala from overseas. I am here in MX now and am also looking at Merida (bit too expat/gringo perhaps-prefer few more locals/culture) and Oaxaca and Manzanillo.

If anyone lives or has lived in Ajijic/Lake Chapala would be great to hear how it is in regards to weather/culture/cost of living/rental long term prices per month/airport (can you fly to major cities from here to other countries?) Beach/lake/jungle/rain forest would be nice with tropical warm climate.

Jason:

As is understandable, you seem a bit confused. Some points:

Lake Chapala is not a "tropical warm climate". It is a sub-tropical, mostly dry, high plains environment at 5,000 feet. Not at all the type of tropics of which you speak. The climate is similar to that you would find in coastal Southern California or the highlands of Malaysia or Kenya or India. You can find tropical warm climates in many parts of Mexico but not on the high plateau. That having been said, the climate at Lake Chapala is fabulous.

Mérida is not a town that could be described as a "...bit too expat/gringo....." You are being mislead. Mérida is among the finest cities in North America but it has a hot, humid tropical climate. If you can take the climate, that´s the place to settle. Yucatecan food is, in my opinion, the best in Mexico.

Oaxaca City is a great town but an acquired taste for a number of reasons. However, it is not tropical but is in a dry, high desert environment. The city has a magnificent historical center and, although most of the restaurants you will read about there are overrated, the local cuisine can be exquisite. To avoid the overrated touristy restaurants, go local.

Ajijic is Sun City South with a large expat community of elderly retired folks from places such as Moline and Calgary. If you are not seeking to live in a colony of old goobers forever searching for the Early Bird Special with all the iced tea they can drink and sitting around calculating how they can cheat the wait staff out of their tips, avoid it like the plague.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 19, 2009, 6:34 PM)

Gringal

Dec 20, 2009, 8:40 AM

Post #8 of 32 (6832 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Moving to Ajijic Possibly?

| Private Reply
"Ajijic is Sun City South with a large expat community of elderly retired folks from places such as Moline and Calgary. If you are not seeking to live in a colony of old goobers forever searching for the Early Bird Special with all the iced tea they can drink and sitting around calculating how they can cheat the wait staff out of their tips, avoid it like the plague. "

Trollistically spoken by an old goober from coastal California. Don't pay him no nevermind, OOtennis. Come visit..

Now where is that "early bird special", dawg? The Eagle didn't come though with a raise this year, so I want one.

Hound Dog

Dec 20, 2009, 11:39 AM

Post #9 of 32 (6795 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Trollistically spoken by an old goober from coastal California. Don't pay him no nevermind, OOtennis. Come visit..

Now where is that "early bird special", dawg? The Eagle didn't come though with a raise this year, so I want one.

Gringal is right, 00tennis; come visit and decide for yourself. We have lived here for nine years and, while we need to escape to Chiapas often, I must admit that this part of the Lake Chapala shore is magical and, after all, you needn´t feel compelled to mingle with the resident snotty crowd as this is a place where one can lead a solitary life in peace in a beautiful environment without ever even once attending some dreadful phony society cookoff or afternoon tea (sherry) or Bridge or Mexican Train game surrounded by unpleasant, back-biting social climbers with border promotions and zero interest in the local community outside of their own moronic cliques.

If you don´t need that unctuous social scene here but love the climate and beautiful surroundings; you may really like living here as do we.

Hound Dog

Dec 20, 2009, 12:06 PM

Post #10 of 32 (6786 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

Sorry, Gringal, but Dawg was speaking metaphorically of the notion of "Early Bird Specials" as a trailer park simile meant to convey the thought of us old folk lining up and polishing our teeth to dive into the all-you-can-eat buffet between 3:00 and 4:00PM Monday through Friday but you knew that all along and egged me on. We normally only eat at home so the myriad of "Early Bird Special"(s) that may or may not be available are unknown to us.

I will tell you this. Last night we ate at TABARKA and this fine European-style restaurant just keeps getting better and better. If you like seafood, this is by far the best joint in town. We had rock lobster, cod cheeks, monkfish, wonderful salads, Spanish Tortillas as an appetizer, Basque limonade with red wine, and excellent accompanying green salads that were out of this world.

Nobody at Lakeside or in most places in Mexico can hold a candle to this excellent and thoroughly authentic Spanish Mediterranean seafood place. Ajijic is lucky to have it at least for now.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 20, 2009, 2:09 PM)

Gringal

Dec 20, 2009, 1:06 PM

Post #11 of 32 (6773 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, dang. I thought you knew something there, Dawg. Most of those NOB all you can eat buffets were enough to bring on early diabetes if relied on for frequent nutrition. But then, it's all shakin' on son gout.

With a tangential finger hanging onto this thread...........Tabarka has some fine fish. My fave is the monkfish. Took a self described "foodie" visitor from SMA there last week, where she got the "I'll have what she's having" shivvers after I let her have a bite of mine.

I'll also agree with your points that it's what you choose to make of your environment and what you choose to avoid that makes anyplace you find yourself planted, home.

don pedro

Dec 21, 2009, 7:24 AM

Post #12 of 32 (6716 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

Gringal is right, 00tennis; come visit and decide for yourself. We have lived here for nine years and, while we need to escape to Chiapas often, I must admit that this part of the Lake Chapala shore is magical and, after all, you needn´t feel compelled to mingle with the resident snotty crowd as this is a place where one can lead a solitary life in peace in a beautiful environment without ever even once attending some dreadful phony society cookoff or afternoon tea (sherry) or Bridge or Mexican Train game surrounded by unpleasant, back-biting social climbers with border promotions and zero interest in the local community outside of their own moronic cliques.

If you don´t need that unctuous social scene here but love the climate and beautiful surroundings; you may really like living here as do we.

some of us "old goobers" experience an entirely different life than you do or the above described, senor bubinski.

http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

(This post was edited by don pedro on Dec 21, 2009, 7:30 AM)
Attachments: old goober.jpg (49.7 KB)

Gringal

Dec 21, 2009, 8:27 AM

Post #13 of 32 (6702 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Moving to Ajijic Possibly?

| Private Reply
Where's Yvonne in that pic, you old reprobate?

Neat pic, though. Life is tough around here.

don pedro

Dec 21, 2009, 9:11 AM

Post #14 of 32 (6685 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
i can only handle 2 women at a time. it was yvonne's turn later-jeje!
yes life is tough fer me around here,but someones gotta do it.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

Hound Dog

Dec 22, 2009, 8:46 AM

Post #15 of 32 (6579 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Ajijic is Sun City South with a large expat community of elderly retired folks from places such as Moline and Calgary. If you are not seeking to live in a colony of old goobers forever searching for the Early Bird Special with all the iced tea they can drink and sitting around calculating how they can cheat the wait staff out of their tips, avoid it like the plague. "

You have Dawg pegged, Gringal.

Since you are so sensitively attuned to the Lakeside restaurant scene as is Dawg, I will share with you and anyone else reading these threads what transpired at a local, quite accomplished, restaurant when Dawg first arrived here in 2001. The owner of this eatery was bemoaning the fact that he had decided to start an all-you-can-eat buffet luncheon at his restaurant in Ajijic in order to attract more business and this promotion lasted maybe a few weeks only to be dropped forever for, as this restaurateur discovered in short order, the priorities of his Ajijic cheeseparing clientele, which was to stuff themselves ignominiously with undistinguished human fodder and then request a doggy bag in which to take home copious amounts of leftover food for a non-existent FIDO, was more than he could sanction. A repeatedly sad and immoral display of human gluttony. He dropped the buffet and informs me he would never do that again.

Gross overconsumption of material benefits by foreign interlopers in a community suffering deprivation is an exquisitely perfect sin and the subject of much ironic humor.

Zardoz

Dec 22, 2009, 6:27 PM

Post #16 of 32 (6518 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well I spent the last four years looking at Belize, Caribbean islands, and other locations.
Last year I spent a week in November in Ajijic staying at Casa Blanca (lots of other
good choices also) and just walked around talking to everyone I could about things
here. Went home and read the web sites and books cover to cover and moved in for
the winter this year. Nothing substitues for a visit and while I am a very gregarious
(friendly and I talk alot :-) I can't imagine anyone having a problem doing the same
as people are very friendly and open about the pluses and minuses of village life. I
learned it will be noisy sometimes but I like the intimacy of the place. Others might
like the peace and quiet of for example La Floresta or other places away from the
village center. Come visit and interact and decide for yourself.

Zardoz

Dec 22, 2009, 6:40 PM

Post #17 of 32 (6510 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Houndog said

Ajijic is Sun City South with a large expat community of elderly retired folks from places such as Moline and Calgary. If you are not seeking to live in a colony of old goobers forever searching for the Early Bird Special with all the iced tea they can drink and sitting around calculating how they can cheat the wait staff out of their tips, avoid it like the plague.

While we know Houndog sense of humor and style on this board I beg to disagre with his opinion. I think it is changing very fast to a younger
crowd with different values. Sure I see these people around that Houndog refers to but I find no shortage of interesting people to be involved
with so take his opinion with a grain of salt. Remember any retirement community by nature changes due to nature catching up with folks.

Hound Dog

Dec 22, 2009, 7:00 PM

Post #18 of 32 (6496 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zardoz] Moving to Ajijic Possibly?

| Private Reply
While we know Houndog sense of humor and style on this board I beg to disagre with his opinion. I think it is changing very fast to a younger
crowd with different values.

I hope you are right, Zardoz. The town could use some new blood.

Gringal

Dec 22, 2009, 7:09 PM

Post #19 of 32 (6490 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zardoz] Moving to Ajijic Possibly?

| Private Reply
"take his opinion with a grain of salt. Remember any retirement community by nature changes due to nature catching up with folks."

How about a dose of salts?

00tennis

Dec 23, 2009, 5:51 AM

Post #20 of 32 (6428 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hola,

Thanks for your replies. I'm currently in Tuxtepec, on route to Oaxaca-then maybe look at Puerto Escondido. Just checked out Lake Catemaco (2 1/2 hrs south of Veracruz-nice place, very mexican and town a bit quiet and very underdeveloped-plus road to airport is not great.

So will probably head up to Puerto Vallarta in the next couple of days and check out Nayarit, Ajijic and surrounding areas, also Colmel I think it's called.

Jase (britboy in Mexico)

Gringal

Dec 23, 2009, 8:26 AM

Post #21 of 32 (6400 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Colima. Nestled near a semi-active volcano. A real hot spot.

Hound Dog

Dec 23, 2009, 8:40 AM

Post #22 of 32 (6390 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Colima. Nestled near a semi-active volcano. A real hot spot.

Cute, Gringal. Colima is an attractive city or you may have been referring to the adjacent small city of Comala but if you don´t mind heat and humidity and speak Spanish, you may like these pleasant towns and their beautiful surrounding countryside.

Now, BritBoy, you are confusing Dawg as to just what you are looking for climate-wise as you are visiting both high altitude coollish places and dead-on hot and humid coastal places. Since that sounds to me as if you are ambivalent about climate and might not mind living in a hot, humid coastal climate; I suggest you consider two of the most interesting cities with highly interesting cultures and some of the greatest cuisine in Mexico. Veracruz City or Mérida. I love those cities. Great places and not at all dull.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 23, 2009, 8:41 AM)

Gringal

Dec 23, 2009, 8:57 AM

Post #23 of 32 (6387 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I think Britboy just needs to do a lot of traveling with his feet. It's really hard to describe in words the look and feel of a place where you need three or four showers a day and a roll of paper towels to mop your sweaty brow while looking at the admittedly lovely seaside. So, Happy Travels to him.

Hey Dawg........were you just making that up, or do you remember the metal sign showing the exhausted Indian and his horse outside the Santa Rosa trailer park called "Journey's End"? Used to give me a chuckle when I drove by on the highway going from Sumwhere to Sonowhere.

Hound Dog

Dec 23, 2009, 9:20 AM

Post #24 of 32 (6381 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hey Dawg........were you just making that up, or do you remember the metal sign showing the exhausted Indian and his horse outside the Santa Rosa trailer park called "Journey's End"? Used to give me a chuckle when I drove by on the highway going from Sumwhere to Sonowhere.

Well, Gringal, we used to live up in the Mayacamas Mountains between Santa Rosa and Napa County and, if I am not mistaken, the Journey´s End Trailer Park was located on Calistoga road just before one ascended the mountain on the way from Santa Rosa to either Calistoga or St. Helena and I had to drive by that trailer park every time I drove from the mountain down to Santa Rosa. I must admit that I, like you, always got a kick out of passing that sign designating a colony of old folks living in that mobile home park at their "Journey´s End". I must further admit that that notion is not as funny as it used to be now that I am so close to joining those folks in the great beyond. Oh well.

This reminds me that in those days in the 80s when I worked periodically in bank branches that catered to retirees and I still remember the old Bank of America branch in that retirement village south of Santa Rosa which I would visit from time-to-time and that branch always had free coffee and pastries for its ancient clientele. Once I sat and observed them consuming their free breakfast and was delighted at the repartee. Old Billy Bob would say to old Fred Bob something like; "Well, I just got back from a three month luxury cruise around the world. What the hell have you accomplished since we last talked you old geezer?" To which Fred Bob would reply; "I was on a nature tour of Madagascar where we studied local fauna ´cause I wouldn´t waste my time incessantly playing shuffle board and bridge on the deck of a cruise ship with a bunch of rich old farts traveling about to see places I have seen more that you ever will puntbrain."

And on and on.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 23, 2009, 9:24 AM)

Oscar2

Dec 23, 2009, 7:39 PM

Post #25 of 32 (6320 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Not sure how long you’ll be traveling, visiting, whether or not seeking out a place to settle. In one of many trips to Mexico over last 40 years brings me full circle to a lovely city I just visited for two weeks. The weather was absolutely marvelous, it wasn’t to cold and it wasn’t to hot. In fact it was the kind of weather which inspired one to get up and out with kick in your step and join the world.

It’s a relatively large city which spreads out considerably but that is not were I chose to do my living while there. I specifically chose Morelia’s El Centro Historico, which has charm, big city convenience but small town appeal. I usually have a car any time I travel Mexico but not this time and was I glad I didn’t. Taxi fare’s are dirt cheap, combi’s and busses are like 5 and 10 pesos and take you anywhere needed if you don’t want to walk a mile, which quite frankly is hardly necessary. Euro café’s, restaurants, shopping, small parks and the beauty of a colonial city unlike I’ve visited before in most of Mexico is there for a visit.

Travel, visit and give a city a chance to provide what you are looking for. No one city will have it all, but the beauty of this whole scenario is, its your time, your life, and if its not what your looking for, always rent, so you can just move on. Note, there is no large expat community, its Mexico with English rarely spoken, so knowing a bit of Spanish, like in most of Mexico, is encouraged.

I also spent a week in Oaxaca, had some interesting times which I will go into more detail in another thread but the flavor of Morelia left me with a favorable taste that will stay with me for a long, long time.

Now, on this thread I guess you’ve come to know the notorious Dawg, haven’t we all. Well, you see one day, like so many other days, he tries to impress the MC population as a bonafide authority of the whole republic. The city I’m talking about is Morelia, which for reasons not worth speculating (as usual) the Dawg drove by Morelia, ran into some traffic, put gas in his car, and left town. Now “again and again” he sights himself as a “drive-by” authority and condemns not just this and other cities with snide, unacceptable remarks but doesn’t realize that trashing cities is hurtful to prospective visitors or perhaps those who take pride in their cities. Yes, he makes it sound funny by poking someone in the ribs but always at the expense of the recipient who doesn’t know or even care who he is. The damage has been done. It’s gotten to the point where some posters refuse to say anything nice or extensive about a city they may be proud of because the dominance of the Dawg quickly shoots them or their city down…go figure.. As it’s said, take what he says, with an oz. of salt..

Now, I’ll probably get some flack from cronies or the like, but so what, if the Dawg can get away with it, why not.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Dec 23, 2009, 8:34 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4