Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

husker

Dec 16, 2009, 11:38 AM

Post #1 of 13 (6968 views)

Shortcut

eye glasses

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone provide an approximate cost for their glasses... bifocals..progressive, photo gray, ar coating and uv coating

johanson

Dec 16, 2009, 12:29 PM

Post #2 of 13 (6951 views)

Shortcut

Re: [husker] eye glasses

I just dropped my glasses and had to replace the lenses only. They are for someone who is near sited, and with progressive lenses, and progressive gray or whatever it is called. I priced the 2 lenses at Costco and was told that the cost was about $2,250. (I don't remember exactly) Locally near Chapala the quoted price was exactly $3000 pesos.

I hope that helps.

husker

Dec 16, 2009, 12:34 PM

Post #3 of 13 (6946 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] eye glasses

Thanks for the prompt reply..we are in Texas for the holidays and they want $1200 US for a new pair of glasses

Rolly

Dec 16, 2009, 12:42 PM

Post #4 of 13 (6942 views)

Shortcut

US1,200? Bandidos!

Rolly Pirate

johanson

Dec 16, 2009, 12:59 PM

Post #5 of 13 (6923 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] eye glasses

Last June, I got the same lenses mentioned above that I had to replace, plus they had anti glare or something and the frames at the ophthalmologists across the street from my Seattle Condo. They're great ophthalmologists but have a reputation of being rather expensive. I remember paying $800 plus for not only the glasses but the eye exam. I'm guessing that the glasses cost $720-750. And I thought that was expensive. But $1,200 .

That is high.

tashby

Dec 16, 2009, 1:07 PM

Post #6 of 13 (6915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] eye glasses

My partner just paid $4500 pesos for new glasses from Dr. Pinto in Riberas del Pilar (Lake Chapala). That included the eye-exam and some fancy frames, along with the bio-focal, progressive lense, plus the grayout stuff. I'm sure the frames were a large part of it, but don't know how it broke down.

I thought that was pretty spendy.....but $1200 US??? Ouch.

johnv

Dec 16, 2009, 7:09 PM

Post #7 of 13 (6875 views)

Shortcut

Several years ago I decided to have progressive bi-focal lenses made locally in Mexico. However, after two attempts by the local opticians I still could not see out of them. On top of that they bent the brand new frames I left with them. Furthermore, they were so uneducated as to have never heard of polarized lenses, thinking that Photogrey lenses were polarized. Their prices were really cheap, but what good is that, if they can't get the prescription right.

Now, I get all my glasses in the United States. More money, but it's worth it.

My last two pairs of lenses, both Varilux Comfort, one polarized, one clear, both in unbreakable polycarbonate, with non-reflective coatings, cost US$860 from a small private optician in New England. I supplied the frames. All I can think is that anyone who paid US$1200 for a pair of glasses in the US, had to have had very expensive frames, or, they got ripped off.

As far as frame selection in Mexico goes; it is very poor and of low quality, however cheap.

My advice is to get your frames and lenses in the States.

Rolly

Dec 16, 2009, 7:26 PM

Post #8 of 13 (6866 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] eye glasses

My experiences have been different from yours, John. Because of deteriorating vision problems, I have had to have several new spectacles in the past decade in México. I have never had a problem with the glass makers. My problems have been with the ophthalmologists. The first two I saw were good at hanging glass, but they never did find the underling pathological problem. The third man I saw did a good job with the pathology. Unfortunately, by then it was too late to save the vision in my left eye.

Rolly Pirate

johanson

Dec 16, 2009, 7:37 PM

Post #9 of 13 (6862 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] eye glasses

In Reply To
My partner just paid $4500 pesos for new glasses from Dr. Pinto in Riberas del Pilar (Lake Chapala). That included the eye-exam and some fancy frames, along with the bio-focal, progressive lense, plus the grayout stuff. I'm sure the frames were a large part of it, but don't know how it broke down.

I thought that was pretty spendy.....but $1200 US??? Ouch.

The $3000 pesos I paid for the lenses, not lenses and frames was also made to Dr. Pinto. They were also progressive lenses. The Rx or whatever it was called was written by my US eye doctor. The new lenses I got from Doctor Pinto work perfectly and fit in the old frames I got last June in the US.

I was very impressed with Doc Pinto, and have had good luck with him. I'm sorry that you did not.

(This post was edited by johanson on Dec 16, 2009, 7:47 PM)

tashby

Dec 16, 2009, 8:25 PM

Post #10 of 13 (6839 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] eye glasses

I guess my earlier post wasn't clear. (Vision joke!)

My partner is entirely happy with the work Dr. Pinto did. I was just trying to relay that the $4500 MXP he spent included EVERY bell and whistle: exam....prescription.....the fanciest kind of frames with the most elaborate lensing.

I'll be heading to Dr. Pinto myself soon.

I'm sorry the other person in this thread had a negative experience "several years ago", and I guess, somehwere else entirely.

(This post was edited by tashby on Dec 16, 2009, 8:29 PM)

Gringal

Dec 17, 2009, 8:06 AM

Post #11 of 13 (6782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] eye glasses

I went to Dr. Pinto several months ago; my taste in frames is simple, so they didn't get pricey. I got the complete eye exam. The doc is an opthamologist, an M.D., which is important to me. The cost, complete with two pairs of progressive (trifocal blended) lenses (one sunglass type) and the frames was around $2500 pesos. No sticker shock there. I'm happy with the glasses, and wouldn't even consider going to the states to get glasses. You get what you pay for except when you get a lot less than you pay for. IMO, all the medical costs in the U.S. are a ripoff.

Lest we forget, the Dr. Pinto we're discussing is in the Lake Chapala area.

NEOhio1

Dec 18, 2009, 4:42 AM

Post #12 of 13 (6708 views)

Shortcut

Re: eye glasses

Dr. Pinto is our choice. We have vision insurance - pays the exam up to $65, frames to $180 and lenses on a scale thats almost incomprehensible but essentially the basics and then a little more if you need bi or tri-focals.

Priced in the US this summer for husband - $720 WITH the insurance. Frames with added magnetic sunglasses.

About fell off the chair. When we got home we went to Pinto for exam, $400 pesos. Glasses $2200 with magnetic sunglasses and since he lost the last set in a year we bought an extra magnetic sunglass for an additional $400 pesos.

Sending the info in for insurance, and opted out of vision coverage for the next two years. Going to put that premium in the kitty for new glasses, it'll pay for a pair a year.

Gringal

Dec 18, 2009, 7:18 AM

Post #13 of 13 (6691 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] eye glasses

Ah, insurance in the states. There's vision insurance, dental insurance, all-encompassing health insurance, house insurance, car insurance, legal insurance..and finally, there's Life Insurance...a real misnomer since we're all gonna die anyway. Time you're through paying for all that, you could just about cover food and shelter at a modest level here in Mexico.
Thank hevvins for our dentist in Chapala at $300 pesos for cleanings, Our doctor at $200 pesos a visit, Dr. Pinto with his reasonable glassses and last, but not least, disaster health insurance from IMSS.
VIVA MEXICO, for many, many reasons.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4