Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

La Isla

Dec 15, 2009, 8:21 PM

Post #1 of 11 (7880 views)

Shortcut

Bombs in Morelia

Can't Post | Private Reply
I just read this article about several bombs that went off this afternoon in Morelia. Three people were hurt and rushed to the hospital including a three-year-old child. I hope that all of our MexConnect friends who live in this city are safe and sound! Here's the link to the story: http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/646204.html.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 15, 2009, 9:31 PM)

esperanza

Dec 15, 2009, 9:35 PM

Post #2 of 11 (7857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Bombs in Morelia

This was not the only grenade attack in Morelia today. Another, in the northwestern section of the city, happened shortly after the attack reported in El Universal.

Helicopters circled so low over my house late this afternoon that our dogs ran outside and barked at them. We believe that the personnel on board were searching for the perpetrators of the first attack, as we live not far from the site.

The woman injured in the first attack continues to be in serious condition. She was pregnant and, to save its life, the baby was delivered by emergency cesarean section. The baby is also in serious condition, as is the woman's three year old daughter.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 15, 2009, 9:36 PM)

Oscar2

Dec 15, 2009, 10:00 PM

Post #3 of 11 (7852 views)

Shortcut

Very sad.......

Anonimo

Dec 16, 2009, 2:12 AM

Post #4 of 11 (7833 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Bombs in Morelia

Alarming and frightful as well as sad.

To have detonated grenades near a secondary school was especially heinous.
Although the online articles I have just read say that civilians were not the object of the attack, they certainly were victims, nonetheless.

These are uncertain times for Michoacanos.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Papirex

Dec 16, 2009, 11:26 AM

Post #5 of 11 (7782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Bombs in Morelia

The violence seems to be creeping everywhere lately. The was another gunfight here in Cuernavaca last Friday night in the Limoneros district. I learned about it on a Yahoo message board for Cuernavaca called “Cuernads”. Many witnesses wrote about it. Nobody knew who was fighting who, except that government troops were involved. There were reports of machine gun fire, and many grenade and “bazooka” (probably RPG) explosions.

Nobody knew what was going on and the local news was silent, except to mention that an abandoned van with blood inside it was found abandoned and it was probably used for the escape of some of the fighters. It remained a mystery of who the combatants were.

Finally after three days of wondering, a little mention on the English language Mexico Today site http://www.mexicotodayblog.com/ in México City said that a narco gang was having a party in a house in Limoneros and Mexican Navy personnel attacked them and six gang members were taken into custody.

I fear that violence will continue to spread throughout the country unless and until México gets an effective court system and fires and punishes all corrupt cops and other officials, which means just about all government employees.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

esperanza

Dec 16, 2009, 2:22 PM

Post #6 of 11 (7749 views)

Shortcut

The woman who was severely injured in yesterday's grenade attacks in Morelia is in serious but stable condition. Her three-year-old daughter is in a pediatric intensive care unit, on a respirator, and may very well not survive. The newborn baby is in very delicate condition.

The city--I just came from the Centro Histórico--feels very nervous today.

In other news, La Voz de Michoacán reported today that between last Friday (Dec 11) and last night (Dec 15), 28 people have been assassinated in Tijuana's drug wars.

Cambio de Michoacán reports other drug-related killings in Michoacán.

tashby

Dec 16, 2009, 2:30 PM

Post #7 of 11 (7743 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

I don't know how else to ask this so I just will.

Does the city feel angry yet???

EDIT/ADDITION: Unfairly open question. By that I mean, it's now been 15 months since the attack during the Grito last year. And there have been others between that and this most recent. Besides nervous, what's the mood?

(This post was edited by tashby on Dec 16, 2009, 2:37 PM)

esperanza

Dec 16, 2009, 2:45 PM

Post #8 of 11 (7734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Bombs in Morelia

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't know how else to ask this so I just will.

Does the city feel angry yet???

EDIT/ADDITION: Unfairly open question. By that I mean, it's now been 15 months since the attack during the Grito last year. And there have been others between that and this most recent. Besides nervous, what's the mood?

IMHO, this is a question with many possible responses but no answers.

esperanza

Dec 18, 2009, 9:55 AM

Post #9 of 11 (7644 views)

Shortcut

The three-year-old died yesterday. QEPD.

The newborn is in fragile but hopeful condition; he's now able to breathe on his own.

The mother is still in intensive care.

Sadness prevails in Morelia.

La Isla

Dec 18, 2009, 10:15 AM

Post #10 of 11 (7639 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
The three-year-old died yesterday. QEPD.

The newborn is in fragile but hopeful condition; he's now able to breathe on his own.

The mother is still in intensive care.

Sadness prevails in Morelia.

And in the D.F. in my heart...

TigerTonio

Dec 18, 2009, 10:21 AM

Post #11 of 11 (7636 views)

Shortcut

I'm sad...and angry.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4