Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

BajaGringo

Dec 14, 2009, 10:11 AM

Post #1 of 12 (3927 views)

Shortcut

The myth that no place in Mexico is safe...

Can't Post | Private Reply
Interesting article posted on Mexidata.com...

The Myth that No Place in Mexico is Safe

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

SanFranDan

Dec 14, 2009, 10:19 AM

Post #2 of 12 (3907 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] The myth that no place in Mexico is safe...

Thank you...interesting read

La Isla

Dec 14, 2009, 10:31 AM

Post #3 of 12 (3901 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] The myth that no place in Mexico is safe...

A very sensible article. Every time I talk to my mother on the phone (she lives outside of Philadelphia, not exactly the safest city in the US), she mentions something she saw on TV about the drug wars in Mexico. I patiently repeat that while the drug wars are a terrible thing, they don't affect me here in Mexico City. I hope that someday soon this information will finally sink in!

Brian

Dec 14, 2009, 10:56 AM

Post #4 of 12 (3894 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] The myth that no place in Mexico is safe...

In Reply To
Every time I talk to my mother on the phone . I patiently repeat that while the drug wars are a terrible thing, they don't affect me here in Mexico City. I hope that someday soon this information will finally sink in!

You make an interesting point that folks living in DF aren't affected by the drug war. With all due respect, I think that many who live in Mexico do not take such a parochial view. Actually, as far as day to day safety for residents is concerned, the fear of drug shootouts is a bit far down the totem pole. La Inseguridad is the most pressing issue for most respondents to polls and surveys. For them the threat of kidnapping and extortion is what concerns them the most and, I would argue, this phenomenon is ubiquitous throughout the Republic. In this respect, I would argue that it is not a myth to say that "no place in Mexico is safe".

Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on Dec 14, 2009, 11:15 AM)

La Isla

Dec 14, 2009, 11:19 AM

Post #5 of 12 (3865 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] The myth that no place in Mexico is safe...

With all due respect, I do not live with even a mild fear of being kidnapped for ransom here in Mexico City. I blend in pretty well in my modest middle-class neighborhood, i.e., I don't stick out as a rich gringa (which I am definitely not). In fact, if I were kidnapped and forced to empty out my bank accounts, the kidnappers would be quite disappointed at how little they'd get for their troubles! I will admit that in the dark recesses of my mind, I harbor the thought that if the general economic-political-crime situation does get really, really bad and a new Mexican Revolution breaks out, I might have to leave the country for good, but this is not something I dwell on.

BajaGringo

Dec 14, 2009, 12:28 PM

Post #6 of 12 (3836 views)

Shortcut

I get what you re saying Brian - what I take away from reading this and my own life experience is that technically there is no place on this planet where you are totally "safe".

Maybe some places more than others...

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

richmx2

Dec 14, 2009, 8:58 PM

Post #7 of 12 (3757 views)

Shortcut

Well, sure "insecuridad" in mentioned in all polls. First, look at how polling is conducted in this country. It is largely by telephone (which, in a country with one of the lowest per capita private land line ownership in the OECD is somewhat skewed to begin with), or rather ad hoc surveys in public places... which may or may not give good data. Secondly, given that Mexican media and federal propaganda from the admininistration that ran on a slogan of a "mano duro" towards crime, and it's not surprising.

I live in Sinaloa right now and am more afraid of 18 year old soldiers with guns and hormones than gangsters. And, I used to live in Mexico City, in some allegedly "dicey" areas, but never gave crime a thought. In Mexico, I never think twice about walking through a crowd of teenagers at any hour of the day or night... expecting a polite "Buenos noches, Señor", where anywhere else I'd cross the street.

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

gpkgto

Dec 15, 2009, 8:54 AM

Post #8 of 12 (3678 views)

Shortcut

I am glad you have no problems in DF. Unfortunately, ALL of my friends who live there (all Mexicans) have been robbed several times--each!-sometimes at knife-point. No guns or injuries so far for any of my friends--hope that stays true. The father of a student of mine was kidnapped briefly. He is a school teacher--not rich. He was grabbed a few blocks form his home in Roma on the way back from the abarrote. Another friend was held for 3 days while they drained his bank account. He was taken by a taxi driver. Again--no injuries, luckily. The brother of a friend had his BMW carjackked at a stoplight on a busy street in mid-afternoon. The list is endless--yet when I visit DF I feel perfectly safe, use taxis and sometimes stay out until 1 or 2 am. I think I have been lucky.

La Isla

Dec 15, 2009, 12:47 PM

Post #9 of 12 (3631 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] The myth that no place in Mexico is safe...

Gpkisner, I'm truly sorry to hear about your friends' misfortunes with the criminals of Mexico City. Have any of them been robbed or kidnapped recently? I´m wondering if robberies and kidnappings are on the increase or the decrease... Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe big cities are good places for me to live: I spent 14 years living in New York City, taking public transportation everywhere at all hours and never once had a problem. Of course, I don't let my guard down when I'm out in public here, though I try not to let paranoia rule my life!

gpkgto

Dec 15, 2009, 12:59 PM

Post #10 of 12 (3623 views)

Shortcut

I lived in NYC also--and in Washington, DC. too--both crime meccas. I always feel safe in DF and have never had a problem. My friends problems are over the last 5-6 years--none in the last year that I know of.

(This post was edited by gpkisner on Dec 15, 2009, 1:16 PM)

cookj5

Dec 17, 2009, 7:12 PM

Post #11 of 12 (3490 views)

Shortcut

Mexico is not the only unsafe place

For those, at least from the US, who think Mexico is unsafe, check out this link: http://news.globaltv.com/...tory.html?id=1461991

I often ask my US friends and relatives how they can get up the courage to walk out their front door, living in a country like that.

P.S. There have been a number of additional similar incidents in more recent months than the last quoted in the article.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 17, 2009, 7:18 PM)

TigerTonio

Dec 18, 2009, 9:32 AM

Post #12 of 12 (3430 views)

Shortcut

La Isla said:
Of course, I don't let my guard down when I'm out in public here, though I try not to let paranoia rule my life!

Great advice. I think that's key to living here in the D.F. Although I've never been a victim of crime here, I am aware it does exist. But I feel the same way in many large cities throughout the world.

(This post was edited by TigerTonio on Dec 18, 2009, 9:42 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4