First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

robt65

Dec 11, 2009, 4:46 PM

Post #1 of 71 (31162 views)

Shortcut

Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi ya'll,

Just wanted to ask a few questions for no particular reason.

How long has MexConnect been around . . . what is the history of Mexconnect? Who started Mexconnect?

Also if you all want to answer thats fine and if you don't that's fine also. I know Rolly has lived in Mexico for a number of years now (I don't know how many) maybe he will confess! (laughing) I understand he first came during the Mexican American war, but I think that is just a rumor! (smiling) P.S Rolly . . . . got the pickles, light bulbs and a good set of knives.

I am just interested to know since I have seen so many of you that have obviously been down here a long time. Just curius as to how amny have survived full time living in Mexico and for how many years. Any regrets?

Have any of you moved more than once in Mexico to another location (city or state) and why?

I know that I am a junior here and been here full time for only a year now but I have already left Tamaulipus as I found it (Altamira, Tampico, Madero area) very corrupt . . . . . more "topes" or to be more correct reductores de velocidads and Ojos or baches (spelling is probably not correct) and generally very dirty (city and pueblo wise) than other parts (states and cities) in many parts of Mexico that I have visited.

I now live in a small pueblo called Galindo (near the Fiesta Americana Hotel) about 10 minutes drive from the city of San Juan del Rio. I really love it in San Jaun del Rio and even the small pueblo of Galindo. Near enough (25 minutes) to the historic center of Queretaro by the auto pista and only a few minutes to San Juan del Rio.

I have also found the store called Comercial Mexicana that is a real nice store. Much like Soriana stores . . .am I correct in this? They have a great sea food section.

This thread is solely for interest .. . please no politics . . . . . just simple questions seeking simple answers, thanks.

Robert

mazbook1

Dec 11, 2009, 5:00 PM

Post #2 of 71 (31137 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Been living full-time in Mazatlán for 12 years now. Never found any reason to move. Certainly no regrets, wouldn't move back NOB if you paid me to.

I'm curious, though. After being in Tamaulipas for less than a year, how in the world did you decide that it was "very corrupt" when you hadn't been there long enough to possibly know?

robt65

Dec 11, 2009, 5:10 PM

Post #3 of 71 (31131 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

I have several very good Mexican Nationals Living and working and living in all three (connected) cities. One is the head man n Transito in one of the cities, another is very high up in Tampico Transito, another is a doctor that has lived and practiced in Tampico and Madero for 20 years, another is an immigration lawyer and another a building contractor. I have sat at private dinners in their homes many times. The stories would curl your hair (unless like me you have none!).

I also read the papers. It doesn't or shouldn't take more than a year for an informed person to see the local corruption and filth of all of these cities. There is one drug connected gang operating in Tam that is notorious for drug related killings both of government officials, private perons, prostitution, kidnapping, etc. Surly you are aware of this.

Robert

esperanza

Dec 11, 2009, 6:59 PM

Post #4 of 71 (31111 views)

Shortcut

I've lived in Mexico either part-time or full-time for 28 years.

My first Mexican home was in Tijuana, where I worked as a social worker in the infamous city jail. After several years, I moved to Mexico City.

Later, I lived for many years in Ajijic and then Guadalajara.

Currently, I live in Morelia--where I intend to stay.

In 2005 I proudly and gratefully became a Mexican citizen.

As for corruption, here's a word to the wise: you cannot escape it, no matter where in Mexico you live. Move where you like and live the life you choose.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Rolly

Dec 11, 2009, 7:20 PM

Post #5 of 71 (31102 views)

Shortcut

Way back there, I was an on-line adviser to Moctezuma. Then I moved to Lerdo in May 2000.

Rolly Pirate

robt65

Dec 11, 2009, 7:29 PM

Post #6 of 71 (31095 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Esperanza,

Thanks for your reply. WOW !!!!! I think that's great . . . . .28 years! I wish I was smart enough many years ago to have moved to Mexico as you did. Oh well better late than never.

I really do agree with you about the corruption in Mexico. I know that it is a way of life here that one has to learn to live with. I was more turned off by the constant uncleanliness of the areas I had seen in Tamaulipas. Just always dirty in the cities and smaller pueblos. The drivers were terrible and the humidity was unbearable. I was mistake when I thought moving to the gulf coast would bring some breezes from that water. Only high heat and much humidity. The roads are terrible and seems like they are never repaired and constant sewer main breaks. and I do mean constant!

Galindo is not perfect nor is San Juan del Rio, I know that. But it is soooooooo much better. Especially the roads and the drivers and te cleanliness of the area. The lower humidity is a blessing. A little colder in the winter months buyt I knew that to be so before moving there.

Guadalajara was just to big for me. I guess I like the tranquility of the country more. I almost moved to Morelia. I have some very good friends there. A friend of mine and his four brothers own the Trico Bakeries and some hotels there. one of the brothers (my friend bought a building on the main historic square there and turned it into a center of sorts with restaurants and it is located near the Justice Building on the Square. It was an old family home at one time. It took him about four years total to properly restore the whole building. I was there during construction but have not seen the finished the finished product yet. I can't wait to see it. I liked Morelia very much but I would miss working at the prosthetic clinic for kids that I will be working at in Queretaro. I am going to also start my brother-in-law up in his own business of remodeling. He is a talented man who does excellent work especially in plaster, electric, plumbing and concrete. He is one of those talented persons that every thing has to be correct when he finishes a job. My wife will manage the business and they need something to keep them busy. (smiling)

Thanks again for your response. I have enjoyed many of your answers to the various questions posed on MexConnect. Some of them helped me a lot.

Robert

robt65

Dec 11, 2009, 7:37 PM

Post #7 of 71 (31090 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Hi Rolly!

I was waiting for your answer! (smiling) Seriously Rolly, how long have you lived in Mexico now? You sure have a great knowledge of the country and her workings. I admire your knowledge and I want you to know how much help your answers to both my questions and other questions posed on Mexconnect have helped me. I really appreciate you a lot. Even if you do like Okra! You probably like grits to! I'm still going to get you down to meet my family one of these days and have our pickle party!!!!!!!!! Going to pickle my own watermelon rinds and eggs. Can't find any that really taste good and I do enjoy cooking . . . so I guess I am going to have to try pickeling.

Robert

(This post was edited by robt65 on Dec 11, 2009, 7:38 PM)

Rolly

Dec 11, 2009, 7:44 PM

Post #8 of 71 (31075 views)

Shortcut

Seriously, I arrived on 18 May 2000. I have only lived in Lerdo and have no expectations of living anywhere else. I have even bought my burial plot here.

Rolly Pirate

robt65

Dec 11, 2009, 7:55 PM

Post #9 of 71 (31062 views)

Shortcut

What made you choose Lerdo, Rolly?
Robert

morgaine7

Dec 11, 2009, 9:18 PM

Post #10 of 71 (31047 views)

Shortcut

I moved to La Paz, Baja California Sur, in May 2007 and am living here full time. No regrets at all. It's a lovely laid-back seaside town with warm, friendly people. Exactly what I had in mind!

Kate

robt65

Dec 12, 2009, 4:33 AM

Post #11 of 71 (31010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Kate,

Hi! Sounds like you got lucky on the first try. I have no regrets from moving to the Tampico the first time. I learned a lot and really needed a place in Mexico to jump off from to find my forever place . . . I guess. In the meantime I learned a lot. Just didn't like the roads, the drivers and how unclean the place was. Besides, that's where I met my wife. My wife is from that area and that was a great reason to move there first. Although her family now sees how beautiful and different the area around Queretaro is, they are also going to be moving to that area.

I hope to be in Mexico the rest of my life. It is a very good country on the whole. Sure different .. .but so are many things in life.

I am happy that you have found you place in this diverse country.

It's neat to understand when and why people have moved to Mexico. I'm learning from all of this. Thanks for your answers, I appreciate that.

Robert

Rolly

Dec 12, 2009, 7:38 AM

Post #12 of 71 (30970 views)

Shortcut

Robert, I chose Lerdo because...read here

Rolly Pirate

La Isla

Dec 12, 2009, 2:05 PM

Post #13 of 71 (30879 views)

Shortcut

Rolly, thanks for the story of how you came to live in Mexico. After seeing what your lovely house looks like, I understand why you are so happy living in Lerdo. Also thanks for the photo of the Rio Nazas. I live in Mexico City on calle Río Po near the corner of Po and Río Nazas but I never knew where the real Rio Nazas was located and what it looked like. Now I do!

La Isla

Dec 12, 2009, 5:12 PM

Post #14 of 71 (30836 views)

Shortcut

I first came to Mexico in the summer of 1966 to study Spanish at the UNAM between my junior and senior years of college, a logical thing to do since I was a Spanish major. Five years later I returned and stayed for 8 months, earning my keep by teaching English in the D.F. and Cuernavaca. In the late 1970s I found myself teaching English as a Foreign Language at a language school in Boston. Among my students was a Mexican woman around my age, who became a friend and who invited me to come to Mexico, stay with her and her family in Mexico City, and look for teaching work. So in 1978 I found myself back in Mexico and shortly after found a full-time position as an English instructor at the Colegio de Postgraduados in Chapingo, an hour or so outside of the capital. I stayed there two years, returning to the US in 1980. From then till my return in September 2007, I spent many lengthy vacations in Mexico, traveling within the country with a good friend I had made while teaching at the CP. So if you ask me, how long have I been living here, I must say that this time it's been a little over two years. You could also say that when I returned in 2007, it was more like a home-coming than anything else!

(This post was edited by La Isla on Dec 12, 2009, 5:15 PM)

robt65

Dec 12, 2009, 5:59 PM

Post #15 of 71 (30818 views)

Shortcut

Hello Again Rolly.

I really want to thank you again for your response. You have a way of saying little and accomplishing much. I wish I had that gift. FYI . . . You and I are even from the relatively same area of the country. I grew up in West Hollywood when it was really a family area (1950 - 60) Went to Hollywood High and also lived in North Hollywood for a while. Remember when the thing to do was to go to Bob's Big Boy in Burbank on a Friday or Sat night? During our longer weekends we used to head south on "old 101" to go to Mexico. That was one of my first encounters with Mexico. I guess I was "bitten by the bug" even way back then! (smiling)

I was one of those people Rolly, who not only looked at your photos, but also read your story. now I understand why you are where you are, and why you do not intend to move. The photos are great and your "adopted family" is really nice.

At least I know where to come to bring the pickles!

Robert

robt65

Dec 12, 2009, 6:10 PM

Post #16 of 71 (30812 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Hello Marsha,

Thanks for your story. You know this is turning into a very interesting and informative thread and I am learning that we have all come to Mexico for our new lives for different reasons . . . and yet for the same reasons. I really am enjoying the answers that are coming on this thread. So you have really been here in Mexico for a number of years, if you add them all together. I can see why it was more like "homecoming". You have certainly traveled the country. Why did you choose settle in Mexico City?

This is really a good way of getting to know you all a little better. Thanks for participating in my thread.

Robert

La Isla

Dec 12, 2009, 7:22 PM

Post #17 of 71 (30786 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for starting this thread, Robert. It was useful for me to write my answer to your original question in a succinct way since I have a tendency to babble on when talking about myself! I came back to Mexico City because I have a couple of good friends here, and I've learned over a lifetime of moving around quite a bit (in the States and in Mexico) that in the end what makes you happy is not the particular place you end up in as much as the people you have in your life in that place.

robt65

Dec 12, 2009, 7:53 PM

Post #18 of 71 (30775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Marsha,

You are really correct with that answer. It is not the place . . . it is the people.

I am in Kentucky now waiting to get back to my bride for Christmas. I had to come back for my 2 large dogs (Labs) and one cat as well as a bunch of my tools for remodeling the home in Galindo. Queretaro. Thanks for your answer. I hope that you and yours have a very Blessed Christmas and a very Healthy New Year.

Robert

Anonimo

Dec 13, 2009, 9:11 AM

Post #19 of 71 (30685 views)

Shortcut

We were first drawn to Mexico by its grand caves and caverns, back in 1980. But we only spent 10 days exploring and savoring the caves of Cuetzalan and the indigenous foods.
We returned in 1990 to start exploring the country as tourists, thence most every year for a month when we could.

By 2004, we felt ready to seriously consider retiring here. We chose highland Michoacán, near Pátzcuaro, for its temperate climate, lakes and forests. We made a reconaissance trip and stayed in a cheap apartment in Morelia for 15 days, and we soon knew that for us, Morelia was a fine city, but Pátzcuaro was more to our liking.

We moved here in September, 2005. Mexconnect and its members, particularly Rolly Brook and Jennifer Rose were very helpful to us. That move wasn't easy, and settling in and acclimatizing took a while. But within a year, we found a house in the countryside that suited us, and we've been there ever since. Part of our contentment comes from our friendly and helpful. neighbors.

So, that, briefly, is our story.
You can read more here.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

sioux4noff

Dec 13, 2009, 9:50 AM

Post #20 of 71 (30668 views)

Shortcut

My husband and I have lived full-time in Bucerias, Nayarit for just over 4 years. It is just north of Puerto Vallarta on the Bay of Banderas.
We had vacationed in Vallarta numerous times and bouth our house in 2002. We chose Bucerias for the beach access and the smaller town it is. After we bought the house, we rented it out for a few years. We spent 3 months in a rental house in Vallarta in early 2005 , returned to Texas and sold our house, and came back to Mexico in October 2005.
We have no regrets on the location we selected. Of course there are things we wish were different, but I know we would fnd that wherever we located.
There are no plans to move elsewhere, but one never knows!

BajaGringo

Dec 13, 2009, 9:38 PM

Post #21 of 71 (30611 views)

Shortcut

I have lived here in northern Baja along the Pacific coast since 2002. Spent time in Mexico City before that and years in other parts of Latin America. This is where I am staying - can't beat the year round nice weather, deep sea fishing, laid back lifestyle and affordable ocean front living. Met my wife Cristina here almost five years ago and she is truly the icing on the cake...

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

(This post was edited by BajaGringo on Dec 13, 2009, 9:42 PM)

MexMama74

Dec 13, 2009, 10:11 PM

Post #22 of 71 (30597 views)

Shortcut

Hi! I have been living in Yahualica, Jalisco for 9 years. No regrets at all! I love my life in small town Mexico. To be honest, my first year was the most difficult. There was so much to learn about culture and traditions and learning to do things the "Mexican" way. As for the reason why my Hubby and I moved, well you can read about that here.

And I love Soriana. Yahualica is a small pueblo with no large grocery or department stores, but every now and then, we will travel 1 hour to the nearest city and my favorite place to visit is Soriana. I stock up on all the hard to find items!

wendy devlin

Dec 14, 2009, 11:30 AM

Post #23 of 71 (30522 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MexMama74] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Leslie,
You have such beautiful children.
Glad to read your life in Mexico has worked out so well for you.
Thanks for posting the link to your blog.

robt65

Dec 14, 2009, 1:53 PM

Post #24 of 71 (30481 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Ron,

You were another I was waiting to hear from about your journey to Mexico. I glad you wrote. I also took the time to look at your Talk Baja site and found it interesting as well. I don't know but for some odd reason, I am sure . . . . I didn't expect you to be into golf! (smiling) I know that you probably have an abundance of sand traps in your part of Mexico but what in the world do you do for greens? (smiling) Thanks for sharing your journey here. I have also learned a lot from your responses on this site as well. Really increased my understanding of your part of Baja.

Hope You and Christina have a great Christmas and a Healthy New Year

Robert (P.S. Not a golfer!)

robt65

Dec 14, 2009, 2:14 PM

Post #25 of 71 (30478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MexMama74] Length of time LIVING in Mexico

Hi There Leslie,

Thans for your response also. I have started reading your blog and it is great. I have finished all of the threads yet, but I admire you and your family. I hope to hear more from you on this site. Your day trips are great. This is what family life should be about. Both you and Rolly have the right idea for my tastes. Family and friends are the most important for me. Guess that's why I like my small pueblo of Galindo. My wife and I also like to make some day trips. Haven't had time lately to do much, as we have just moved to our spot, but this summer we hope to do more. We have gone to Xilitla as My wife (Jimena) has some family there. That character Sir Edward James was really unusual. His architecture and construction of his "Las Pozas" was amazing. Las Posas http://www.architecturalescapes.com/ If you have ever seen Xilitla, you know it is very steep and very high up in the mountains. The road to Xilitla is littered with the locals selling flowers and plants as well as many different palms from the area. How in the world was all that at "Las Posas" accomplished? It boggles my imagination. If any of you all ever go there . . . . just before you reach the "Las Posas" there is a little hotel and cafe on the left (going in) that is really great. Very inexpensive and very roomy rooms. Yes they have hot water giant showers in every room and she (the wife) is really a good cook. If any of you do go there tell them that Robert (also known as Dr. Candy) and Jimena said hello.

I look forward to you sharing more on this site a well as your blog. I hope you and your lovely family have a very happy Christmas and a great New Year.

With Respect,
Robert
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4