First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Hound Dog

Dec 10, 2009, 1:22 PM

Post #26 of 73 (14580 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Rolly writes:

Bring your fav pickles. I have never found what I would consider a good pickle.

This will only help folks moving to Lake Chapala´s "Lakeside" but here is what you need to know. Bubba, who owns Bubba´s Texas BBQ in Riberas Del Pillar on Lake Chapala makes the finest pickles on the planet. I thrive on his "bread and butter jalapeños" and wonderful pickled jalapeños among other products. Great! His BBQ sauces do not deserve the same accolades but man are those pickled jalapeños dlicious.

La Isla

Dec 10, 2009, 9:50 PM

Post #27 of 73 (14547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

In Reply To
Camille,

Thanks for the reminder on good old fashion light bulbs. I brought some last time but not enough. S
Robert

I don´t understand the comments about needing to bring your own light bulbs with you - I've never had any trouble finding them in Mexico City, either at the supermarket or at stores on the "street of lamps" (I think it´s Calle Victoria) in the Centro Histórico. Could this be yet another perk of living in Mexico City ( : ?

esperanza

Dec 11, 2009, 7:46 AM

Post #28 of 73 (14524 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

In Reply To

In Reply To
Camille,

Thanks for the reminder on good old fashion light bulbs. I brought some last time but not enough. S
Robert

I don´t understand the comments about needing to bring your own light bulbs with you - I've never had any trouble finding them in Mexico City, either at the supermarket or at stores on the "street of lamps" (I think it´s Calle Victoria) in the Centro Histórico. Could this be yet another perk of living in Mexico City ( : ?

I've always found the bulbs I need, even when I've been looking for a bulb with a special base, a new bulb for the refrigerator, etc.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

rockydog85251

Dec 11, 2009, 9:04 AM

Post #29 of 73 (14510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Ah...light bulbs! We have NEVER been able to find the tr-lights, aka 3-way bulbs anywhere in Mexico. So we have almost have had to go to the flourescent bulbs & just now are able to find bulbs that will accept the clip-on type of shades, of which we have several. Is it true that the laws now require a gradual conversion to the energy efficient type bulbs? If so, yea for the environment!!!

If you don't like artificially flavored maple syrup, bring your own natrual syrup...haven't been able to find it here either.

It's also been also impossible to purchase products not tested on animals...such as shampoos, toothpastes, etc.

I REALLY, REALLY miss Trader Joe's!!!!!!!! boo-hoo BUT, life could sure be a lot worse than it is......
Willie

Ustlach

Dec 11, 2009, 11:40 AM

Post #30 of 73 (14495 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Silence820] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Ear plugs. The kind used for firing guns, not the kind for swimming. I finally got some while NoB recently and they have already saved me many, many hours of sleeplessness.

La Isla

Dec 11, 2009, 2:37 PM

Post #31 of 73 (14475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ustlach] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

In Reply To
Ear plugs. The kind used for firing guns, not the kind for swimming. I finally got some while NoB recently and they have already saved me many, many hours of sleeplessness.

I´ve found ear plugs for noise in Sanborn´s in the pharmacy department.

Anonimo

Dec 11, 2009, 3:39 PM

Post #32 of 73 (14465 views)

Shortcut

Bring an open mind, a sense of adventure, and most of all, a willingness to adapt to your new country.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Flaekingur

Dec 11, 2009, 8:15 PM

Post #33 of 73 (14439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

i have been able to find light bulbs and lot of other stuff in Mexico without any problem, even in some of the smaller towns.
You can find many items that are no longer avai;ble back home. Example, Mantles and wicks for old kerosine and gas lamps.
Al

robt65

Dec 13, 2009, 7:52 AM

Post #34 of 73 (14385 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Anonimo,

I sure like your answer . . . . . That about says it all when you come right down to it! Thanks . . . it made me stop and think! Sometimes I don't do enough of that.

Robert

Judy in Ags

Dec 13, 2009, 3:43 PM

Post #35 of 73 (14360 views)

Shortcut

After reading all the replies, I believe the answer is that each one of us brings what is important to us. I bring pickles also--both dill and gerkins. I like beets as a vegetable, but hate cooking the fresh ones as it takes so long and is messy. Even in the U.S., one can hardly find WHOLE canned beets. They have a completely different (and better) taste than sliced or diced canned beets. Making pickled beets is so easy--just drain them and place them in the sweet pickle juice after the pickles are one. They're delicious in about a day. That would probably work with hard-cooked eggs as well.

The list of things I bring back is still pretty long, but I'm sure that if I were not able to get those things any longer, we'd make out fine.

We take a lot of vitamins and nutrients. They harder to find and more expensive here, so we always bring them back. Canned pumpkin etc., etc., etc.

MexMama74

Dec 13, 2009, 6:58 PM

Post #36 of 73 (14335 views)

Shortcut

I would suggest that you make a list of your favorite foods and other items that you cannot live without! You could post it here and let everyone comment on whether you could find the things on your list or not. Make sure to include things that you use for a favorite hobby. Most electronics and kitchen appliances are more expensive in Mexico, so if you have one you use often, bring it down! :D

BajaGringo

Dec 13, 2009, 9:48 PM

Post #37 of 73 (14311 views)

Shortcut

1. Open mind
2. Patience
3. A watch that runs slow - or better yet doesn't even work
4. Thick skin
5. Curiosity to learn
6. Sense of adventure
7. Occasional deaf ear
8. Friendly smile
9. Desire to give as much as you take
10. Tireless smile

These 10 items in your travel bag will go a long way to solving 99% of any problems / situations you will encounter

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

La Isla

Dec 14, 2009, 10:00 AM

Post #38 of 73 (14277 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

BajaGringo's list is a good one. I'd like to add that, along with a tireless, friendly smile, spoken greetings are essential for getting along in Mexico: buenos días, tardes and noches, for starters. Regarding a slow or non-existent watch, I actually have Mexican friends and students who are usually on time for appointments, dates and classes, and when they're running late, they usually call to let me know.

gcooper

Dec 17, 2009, 3:44 PM

Post #39 of 73 (14230 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Dishwasher soap!

http://gpsprojectmanagement.com/

www.rivieral-lapaz.com
No bad Days
www.Riviera-LaPaz.com
www.GPSProjectManagement.com

Papirex

Dec 17, 2009, 6:49 PM

Post #40 of 73 (14212 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gcooper] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

If you have a dishwasher (few houses do here) you can buy dishwasher soap in small boxes at just about any large supermarket. We buy it in large boxes at Sams' Club or in twin packs of two boxes at Costco, the two boxes are 2.82 Kg each, that is about the same amount in total as the single boxes at Sams' Club. They last us for about a year. We need to buy it so seldom that I don't recall the prices now.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

La Isla

Dec 17, 2009, 6:58 PM

Post #41 of 73 (14200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gcooper] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

In Reply To
Dishwasher soap!

You know, I don't think I know anyone here who has a dishwasher. In my home, I am the dishwasher. And since I don't cook that much, there aren't that many dishes to wash!

Papirex

Dec 17, 2009, 7:16 PM

Post #42 of 73 (14196 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

We bought a portable dishwasher a few years ago and we have used it in two different houses here. The only other person I know personally that has a dishwasher is one of our nieces that lives in México City.

I think most people here figure that if you can afford a dishwasher you can afford a maid, so no matter how elegant a house is there will seldom be a built in dishwasher. Our niece won't let her maid use it.

On the days that our maid works in our house, she always washes the dishes by hand. I told Doris that she just doesn't like Señora Maytag doing any of her work.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Rolly

Dec 17, 2009, 7:23 PM

Post #43 of 73 (14186 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

I have a dish washer in my house. Her name is Bama. I just lay the plate on the floor, and in no time it's clean. Except for lettuce which she doesn't like.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Dec 17, 2009, 7:45 PM

Post #44 of 73 (14180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Yeah, I have two organic dishwashers too. One of them is named Tuffy and his wife is named Goldie. My avatar is a picture of one of their sons, Shorty. They are all of the same race, they call them Maltese here, but they are really miniature Poodles. Shorty adopted the family next door to us so we see him all the time.

They will eat just about everything, including chilies. I can't use them to clean the dishes when Doris is home or she goes ballistic. I keep telling her that you can't catch anything from your own dogs, but just like when I tell her that cake and whipped cream neutralizes calories and cholesterol, she doesn't believe me. She doesn't know much about medical practices.

Rex

Bethie

Dec 18, 2009, 1:54 PM

Post #45 of 73 (14143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Hubby brought a big digital slow cooker with him to Mx and he and me suerga(sp) love it. They put beens in it at night and in the morning they have beans for breakfast.

Flaekingur

Dec 18, 2009, 10:07 PM

Post #46 of 73 (14110 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bethie] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

That dishwasher story reminded me of a couple of Maltese dishwashers we used to have.
Years ago, we had a couple of friends who always seemed to show up for a visit right at meal times.
After one such visit during which they had chowed down heartily, we placed all the dishes on the floor. The visitors watched intently as the dogs did there thing. We then picked up the dishes and put them right back in the cupboard.
They never came at mealtime again.
Al

(This post was edited by Flaekingur on Dec 18, 2009, 10:11 PM)

Papirex

Dec 18, 2009, 11:39 PM

Post #47 of 73 (14096 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Flaekingur] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

If you wanted them to come back, you should have offered them a slice of cake with whipped cream on it. Besides neutralizing calories and cholesterol, it provides immunity to dog germs.

Rex

Hound Dog

Dec 19, 2009, 9:53 AM

Post #48 of 73 (14071 views)

Shortcut

Bring personal items you cannot live without and some clothes if you are extremely tall or heavy, the rest you will find in Mexico.
We have lived here for quite a few years, do not go back to the States and have yet to really miss something sufficiently to go back to the States.
You can get things once in a while from the States from friends who come and visit but the best way to move is to move with an open mind: millions of Mexicans live here without going abroad every other month to find something.

Most things people say are "must bring" can be found here. It can be difficult to find some items but if you really look, you usually find what you need.

Last time I was in France I saw my cousin wash color and white clothes together and put a little piece of fabric in the laundry to prevent the colors from runing. I thought it would be nice to have and was going to buy a packet and then I change my mind. Why buy something I probably cannot find without searching all over the place and get upset if I do not find it? I have lived 63 years without it and can manage without so why complicate life.

When coming down here :simplify..if you cannot find a 3 way bulb get a two way or live without it and forget about it. Life gets complicated enough without having to worry about things you really do not need. Be happy you have a light bulb..any of any kind...Same for just about anything.
(Not picking on the 3 way bulb lovers just using it as an exemple.)

By the way one of the hurdle at finding things here is the lack of knowledge and interest of the salespeople in the stores. Yesterday I was looking for a specific popular game in toy shops in Guadalajara and 3 shops told me they were sold out. After being told the game was sold out at one of the stores on Mexico Avenue, I looked around and found 6 of the games I was looking for.
It just was easier for the salesperson to say "se acabaron" than go and get one for me. You will find out that the favorite word down here is "NO HAY" , just keep checking and looking you usually will get what you want with a little searching.

cookj5

Dec 19, 2009, 3:42 PM

Post #49 of 73 (14049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

In Reply To

In Reply To
Peanut butter is sold at most of the large supermarkets and, of course, Sam's and Costco.

Peanut butter, yes...smooth peanut butter. I've never seen crunchy peanut butter for sale in Mexico--other than at SuperLake in Ajijic.

Soriana carries Jiff crunchy periodically, but not dependably.

1) A good English/Spanish dictionary would be useful.
2) Get the biggest jumbo size bottle of sunblock you can find on sale. Very expensive here.
3) If you have large feet, you'll have trouble finding decent shoes in Mexico. Stock up.
4) Sturdy, durable, wash 'n wear clothes. Mexican clothes tend to fall apart quickly, in my experience.

Peter

Dec 20, 2009, 6:15 AM

Post #50 of 73 (14004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Two items I haven't found here that I use all the time and my neighbors are also interested in having but cannot be found:

1) A KitchenAid mixer - the heavy duty kind good for bread dough and other heavy uses, also has attachments available for meat-grinding, juicing, etc.

2) A side-open type can opener that cuts the top off cans cleanly from the side, not through the top.

Or if anyone knows where to find such, please tell me.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4