Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

arbon

Dec 10, 2009, 12:11 PM

Post #26 of 39 (6139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Retiring in Mexico

Can't Post |
I think this view shows the lower floor and the re-bar continuing to the above.

( A few more than the usual 3-4 in each corner, left for esthetic reasons.)

http://rollybrook.com/.../2-north-shell-4.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Manuel Dexterity

Dec 10, 2009, 12:38 PM

Post #27 of 39 (6129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Retiring in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To
Rolly's right, as he usually is. This is something, that if it is fact somewhere, would vary from municipality to municipality - there is no blanket answer.

The law is the same throughout the state. It doesn't vary from one municipality to the other. What will vary is enforcement.

Pobre Burro

Dec 10, 2009, 12:43 PM

Post #28 of 39 (6128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Retiring in Mexico

Without the intention of stirring up a hornets nest, I have spoken with architects, builders and property owners who have indeed protested their property tax assessment and had them changed based on the house not being completed. A few were not new houses.

They were Mexican nationals which may make a difference. While it may be an unwritten law, and the people taking advantage of it obviously do not want to make a big deal out of it. Perhaps a small "bite" was involved where they really wouldn't want to advertise it.

As a foreigner, they probably would not grant you the same "exemption". Generally in all legal matters the foreigners are not allowed the same "unwritten benefits" as they may post it on forums.

For the sake of argument, If that is the definition of urban legend then be it.

Manuel Dexterity

Dec 10, 2009, 12:54 PM

Post #29 of 39 (6119 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Retiring in Mexico

In Reply To
Urban legends notwithstanding, would someone on here who knows the actual law please straighten this out?

I'm afraid we're navigating in the waters of rumor and belief. Haaaalp!

I know the law. I spend a lot of time in Catastro for different reasons. I also have a niece that works in the Catastro office in Cihuatlan, Jalisco.

For a property to be considered "predio no edificado o baldio" it can't be occupied.

(This post was edited by Manuel Dexterity on Dec 10, 2009, 12:55 PM)

Manuel Dexterity

Dec 10, 2009, 12:59 PM

Post #30 of 39 (6115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Retiring in Mexico

In Reply To
How much re-bar would they have continuing from the first floor to the second floor, if the second floor was going to built immediately.

(Just 4 at each corner?)

For any continuing post, a minimum of 50cm is recommended for overlapping.

Pobre Burro

Dec 10, 2009, 1:03 PM

Post #31 of 39 (6112 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Retiring in Mexico

You said it best.....

The law is the same throughout the state. It doesn't vary from one municipality to the other. What will vary is enforcement.

I would just add country, I don't believe there was any state specified.

Manuel Dexterity

Dec 10, 2009, 1:05 PM

Post #32 of 39 (6111 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pobre Burro] Retiring in Mexico

Each state has its own Ley de Catastro. So the rules are uniform across the board in that state.

mazbook1

Dec 10, 2009, 3:53 PM

Post #33 of 39 (6047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Retiring in Mexico

All I have to say is that if you have lived ANYWHERE in México, you should already know that "urban legends" about anything to do with governmental affairs/actions/or whatever is that it is MORE LIKELY to be an urban legend than not if you hear it from an average Mexican regardless of wealth or education. That is why Rolly's advice is the best. Asking the people who know for certain about something is the ONLY way to get the straight dope. If you ask this question about predial at the office where it is collected in your local Palacio Municipal (el catastro)+
, you will get the correct answer and it is VERY unlikely that this would trigger some imaginary reassessment like it might if you asked the same sort of question in your county assessor's office in the U.S.

I and my wife own two houses in Mazatlán. We paid less for the second than for the first, so the predial was less. Both are in the same working-class neighborhood. We have done no construction on the first house and the predial assessment has never changed in 11 years. We have turned the second house from a small, run-down one-story house into a totally modern, remodeled two-story house with a rooftop patio (from about 1200 sq. ft. to over 3,000 sq. ft.). All of the work done on the second house had properly filed plans and building permits from the Palacio Municipal. Guess what? The predial assessment is still the same as it started out before the remodeling and construction 8 years ago! But, there is NO rebar sticking out of the roof, at least not for the last 3 or 4 years.

I guess that says that you don't have to have rebar sticking out of the roof to prevent reassessment!

In México, even more so than NOB, you should never ask these sorts of questions of your neighbor. You should ALWAYS ask these sorts of questions of the people who absolutely know the correct answer. Ask visa (FMT, FM3, FM2) questions at INM (Migración). Ask questions about car importation and other importation at your local customs (Aduana) office. Ask questions about becoming a citizen of México at your local SRE (Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores) office, etc., etc., etc. DON'T keep passing on whatever you heard from your neighbor, whether he is Mexican or expat. STOP all the misleading and wrong urban legends about México!

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Dec 10, 2009, 4:20 PM)

mcm

Dec 10, 2009, 4:44 PM

Post #34 of 39 (6022 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Retiring in Mexico

Amen.
On the other hand...the plethora of (mis)information is SO entertaining...

arbon

Dec 10, 2009, 4:59 PM

Post #35 of 39 (6018 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] Retiring in Mexico

Can't Post |

In Reply To
Amen.
On the other hand...the plethora of (mis)information is SO entertaining... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The funniest one I have heard in a while is. "Foreigners have more human rights in Mexico than in Canada" and that was from a Lakeside forum moderator.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marlene

Dec 10, 2009, 9:39 PM

Post #36 of 39 (5962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Retiring in Mexico

Exactly. These urban legends are our pet peeve. They just keep recycling around the gringo community as if they were truth. The other day there was a news report of an incident where a foreigner was put in some danger while driving. Bandits tried to pull him over, but he wisely didn't pull over, so the bandits fired shots at his vehicle. Those that can't read the local papers insinuated the incident didn't exist and wanted more proof! They hadn't heard of such a thing ever happening , therefore it couldn't possibly happen. Being truly informed from correct sources is the key to living here, as Mazbook posts.

Thanks for those precise examples. Rebar sticking up is not a tax avoidance thing. We have rebar. It's trendy in our neighborhood.. jeje. That whole notion gave me a chuckle because taxes are so inexpensive here. Really inexpensive.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Dec 10, 2009, 9:51 PM)

sioux4noff

Dec 13, 2009, 10:02 AM

Post #37 of 39 (5856 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Retiring in Mexico

Our house is complete, has been for 7 years. No rebar anywhere. I think in the 5 years, our taxes went up once, in the year after the house was comleted, but are still insanely low (we pay about 450 pesos). Gee, how much could I save with some unsightly rebar?

Pobre Burro

Dec 13, 2009, 11:50 AM

Post #38 of 39 (5833 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Retiring in Mexico

It seems that it really depends on where you live.
My taxes were over $6000 pesos a year with an average home. I know many well over $10000. Still a bargain compared to the USA.

All is not black or white in Mexico. Some people have rebar sticking up from their roofs for many reasons. For some it's for future construction, for some it's for tax reasons and for others they are waiting for men to send money from the US to finish up.

To claim another persons situation as an "urban legend" is irresponsible advice. The best advice is to check with people in your community that have experience. For $450 pesos a year I wouldn't worry either.

roni_smith

Dec 13, 2009, 1:54 PM

Post #39 of 39 (5812 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunny1] Retiring in Mexico

It may be private now, but I sure enjoyed reading her blog and now I cannot access it.

That makes me very sad.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4