Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Yaxchibonam

Nov 28, 2009, 10:55 PM

Post #1 of 39 (11118 views)

Shortcut

Retiring in Mexico

Can't Post |
For a blog that doesn't always stick to the advertised subject, you are welcome to come and visit. So far there are about 96 entries taking me from California to Catemaco, to the place I always knew I'd end up -- Oaxaca. I post most days, and welcome comments.

http://yaxchibonam-retiringinmexico.blogspot.com/
Yaxchi

ken_in_dfw

Nov 29, 2009, 7:43 AM

Post #2 of 39 (11036 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yaxchibonam] Retiring in Mexico

Can't Post |
Loved your blog, Yaxchi. I've already bookmarked it into my Blogs favorites folder.

Oaxaca looks absolutely gorgeous and I'm eager to hear how your knitting circle develops. Do post more in the Southern México forum, if for no other reason than to keep the Dawg counter-balanced.

Keep up the good work. Looks to me like you're doing this "retirement thing" just about right.

(This post was edited by ken_in_dfw on Nov 29, 2009, 9:12 AM)

Yaxchibonam

Dec 1, 2009, 8:21 PM

Post #3 of 39 (10706 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] Retiring in Mexico

Can't Post |
Thanks Ken, I appreciate that. I've been enjoying what I've seen of you on Mexconnect. I should take more time to explore the site but there is so much going on in Oaxaca that I'm usually out doing stuff. I am very lucky that the Oaxaca Lending Library is here because I am a Mexican history/culture addict, and they have more titles than I could possible get through in a number of years. I'm collecting recommendations for good books on the subject of Mexico...what are a few of your favorites? Lorena
Yaxchi

Grieger-Lods

Dec 8, 2009, 8:15 PM

Post #4 of 39 (10437 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi! Loved your blog and wanted to share it with a friend. Is it now closed? I tried to enter my aol address but it wouldn't take.

You certainly have an impressive amount of energy! For only a few months in Oaxaca you are already a contributing member of the community. My husband and I are also educators, from Richmond, California, and plan to move to Puebla in September. Your blog is very encouraging to us. I also loved your beautiful descriptive writing.

(This post was edited by Grieger-Lods on Dec 8, 2009, 8:18 PM)

Huete

Dec 9, 2009, 7:14 AM

Post #5 of 39 (10390 views)

Shortcut

Same thing happened to us. The blog is private now, but all you have to do is write her with your email address and she'll invite you in, lcassady@gmail.com. She quit Mexconnect because she was being harassed by another member who didn't like what she was writing.
Huete

Sunnyvmx

Dec 9, 2009, 10:21 AM

Post #6 of 39 (10342 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Huete] Retiring in Mexico

This is true and because of that harassment she removed all the hurtful untruths about members and parts of Mexico that she wrote about in her blog. Sometimes a stand must be made no matter how distasteful.

Hound Dog

Dec 9, 2009, 12:51 PM

Post #7 of 39 (10313 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Huete] Retiring in Mexico

According to Poster "Huete" :

"She (Yaxchibonam) quit Mexconnect because she was being harassed by another member who didn't like what she was writing."

Total nonsense.

Of the many responders trying to help after her initial inquiry regarding civil strife in the Oaxaca Highlands, no one harassed her. Rather, she was treated with the utmost respect and given good advice from several responders very familiar with the area. Why don´t you cite the specific harassment to which you refer, Huete. Then we can communicate.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Dec 9, 2009, 1:54 PM)

simmtron

Dec 9, 2009, 7:06 PM

Post #8 of 39 (10241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Retiring in Mexico

She was not being harased, she was questioned about things she wrote in her blog that where untrue. She quoted statements of people in an RV park in Catemaco, which I know nobody would say or "thought" to make herself look the type of person she thought SHOULD move to Mexico. We lived there for a few months and when she came people greeted her tried to be helpful but they didn't seem liberal enough for her. She stayed in her casita almost all day, everyday ( thought that was funny, her calling people inmates when she hardly ever left the park herself). It was the rest of us she calls the (inmates) which ventured out of the COMPOUND she calls it, and interacted with the locals. Its sad that she has to invite people to her blog (because of false input). She doesn't want people in the know to see what she is writing. If you don't agree with her you are wrong. Its like her story of the Mexican men that go off to work in the states or elsewhere to make money to build the second story of their house, thats why the rebar is sticking out of the top of their house. It sounds like a nice story but the rebar is there so they don't have to pay property taxes on the property. Having the rebar makes the house look like the builing is not completed so they don't have to pay the property tax. Where did she hear that story?

(This post was edited by simmtron on Dec 9, 2009, 7:16 PM)

Rolly

Dec 9, 2009, 7:21 PM

Post #9 of 39 (10230 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunny1] Retiring in Mexico

I have taken the time to go to the archive to read most of the threads that she has been active in. I cannot find anything I would consider out-of-line, and I'm a bit hard-nosed about those things.

Rolly Pirate

Manuel Dexterity

Dec 9, 2009, 7:30 PM

Post #10 of 39 (10225 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simmtron] Retiring in Mexico

In Reply To
Its like her story of the Mexican men that go off to work in the states or elsewhere to make money to build the second story of their house, thats why the rebar is sticking out of the top of their house. It sounds like a nice story but the rebar is there so they don't have to pay property taxes on the property. Having the rebar makes the house look like the builing is not completed so they don't have to pay the property tax. Where did she hear that story?

She was right and you are wrong.

simmtron

Dec 9, 2009, 7:36 PM

Post #11 of 39 (10222 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Retiring in Mexico

In Reply To
I have taken the time to go to the archive to read most of the threads that she has been active in. I cannot find anything I would consider out-of-line, and I'm a bit hard-nosed about those things.

It was in her blog which she has removed most of the statements.

simmtron

Dec 9, 2009, 7:39 PM

Post #12 of 39 (10217 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Retiring in Mexico

Sorry if I am wrong, but everyone in Mexico I have spoken with including a builder currently building a wall for us said that is why they leave rebar sticking out of the top of buildings. If I am wrong please will someone enlighten me.

(This post was edited by simmtron on Dec 9, 2009, 7:41 PM)

Manuel Dexterity

Dec 9, 2009, 7:53 PM

Post #13 of 39 (10205 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simmtron] Retiring in Mexico

In Reply To
Sorry if I am wrong, but everyone in Mexico I have spoken with including a builder currently building a wall for us said that is why they leave rebar sticking out of the top of buildings. If I am wrong please will someone enlighten me.

That is how urban legends like this proliferate. If you want the facts visit your municipio's "Oficina de Catastro".

Rolly

Dec 9, 2009, 8:24 PM

Post #14 of 39 (10194 views)

Shortcut

I agree with Manny. Those rebar stubs have nothing to do with avoiding property taxes. Sheer nonsense. Perhaps "urban legends" is a gentler way of putting it.

Rolly Pirate

Sunnyvmx

Dec 10, 2009, 4:18 AM

Post #15 of 39 (10152 views)

Shortcut

Sorry for all the discord here. Yachibonam deleted the slanderous remarks made in her blog...not here on the Forums. Therefore they are no longer available for public reading. Her blog is now kept private as it should be.

On a visit with a remarkable lady in Palenque who had for the most part completed a lovely home with the hiring of several independent contractors, I remarked about the rebar sticking out from her roof. She said, "Property taxes start when a house is completed, therefore the rebar maintains that the house is still under construction." The plans that were drawn up for her home show a room where the rebar now stands. That room is really imaginary. She further explained that the wealthy councilmen with the large homes also had rebar standing at the top of their roofs and they were the ones making and passing the laws for the collection of those property taxes.

As for the typical Mexican home that is built in stages as money becomes available for the purchase of a bag of concrete, cement blocks or tiles they most certainly have rebar standing alone and waiting. This undoubtably is true and must be respected.

Manuel Dexterity

Dec 10, 2009, 6:13 AM

Post #16 of 39 (10133 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunny1] Retiring in Mexico

In Reply To

She further explained that the wealthy councilmen with the large homes also had rebar standing at the top of their roofs and they were the ones making and passing the laws for the collection of those property taxes.

Again, if a lot of people on Mexico-themed forums actually knew much about the country instead of relying on hearsay and knew how things really operate would know that this is complete BS.

Peter

Dec 10, 2009, 7:20 AM

Post #17 of 39 (10111 views)

Shortcut

The reason I have rebar sticking up out of my house is because it IS still under construction as funds become available. But I recall my family's home in the US never had the block wall capped because my dad found out his property taxes would go up if it were capped and completed, so remained unfinished during the entire time, more than 30 years, they occupied that house. I recall him saying that is what happened with a neighbor, so at least he believed it was true.

Could it be, at least in some parts of Mexico, something similar is true, that a house all finished, polished, and pretty could be assesed at a higher value for tax purposes? I suspect that either reason could be a contributing factor, perhaps both. Or is urban legend largely responsible for urban blight? Many people seem to believe that part about property taxes, and many are still adding to their home as time goes on.

Manuel Dexterity

Dec 10, 2009, 7:38 AM

Post #18 of 39 (10102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Retiring in Mexico

Just take a look at some of the statements made concerning the rebar issue and it doesn't really take a genius to figure out that it is nonsense.

Many people on this forum are property owners here and are well aware of the ridiculously low rates that property is taxed. Why would a wealthy person leave unsightly rebar sticking out of the roof to save an insignificant amount of money?

And wealthy locals are not the ones who pass tax laws. In fact in Mexico all legislation is done on the federal and state levels. Municipalities cannot legislate, they can only propose.

The law governing property taxes is a state law, passed by the state legislation.

And in order to not weaken a structure by breaking up concrete to expose rebar to tie new rebar cages for second floor construction they are simply left long. Avoids the additional labor cost also.

Gringal

Dec 10, 2009, 8:57 AM

Post #19 of 39 (10071 views)

Shortcut

Urban legends notwithstanding, would someone on here who knows the actual law please straighten this out?

I'm afraid we're navigating in the waters of rumor and belief. Haaaalp!

Rolly

Dec 10, 2009, 9:41 AM

Post #20 of 39 (10056 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Retiring in Mexico

Go down to your city hall and ask them if rebars sticking out of the roof will allow you to avoid property taxes.

Rolly Pirate

bournemouth

Dec 10, 2009, 10:07 AM

Post #21 of 39 (10049 views)

Shortcut

Rolly's right, as he usually is. This is something, that if it is fact somewhere, would vary from municipality to municipality - there is no blanket answer.

Pobre Burro

Dec 10, 2009, 10:22 AM

Post #22 of 39 (10042 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Retiring in Mexico

First thing that you have to remember is that you are living in Mexico. Some things just aren't consistent from day to day or area to area or issue to issue. It’s one of the reasons most of us are here, a different lifestyle.

While the story of Rebar sticking out from houses is because the men are working in the USA and are sending money home to build a second story may be true in one particular case. To post it as a fact throughout Mexico may be misleading or itself starting an "urban legend". In some cases it may be true.

There is also merit to the story of paying lower, if any, property taxes at all by not completing construction. I have heard this story for many years from Mexican wealthy, Mexican poor and Americans property owners from many different parts of Mexico. As you live in Mexico you will find inconsistencies due to changes in political appointments, municipalities, family ties etc..

The property tax issue is a difficult one. For example, recently in Guaymas, Sonora they were offering a 20% discount to people that have not paid their taxes for 5 years as an incentive for collection. Many of these property owners still refused to pay based on the claim of corruption in the past and partially because it is hard to enforce (especially in the poor districts). Neither political party is looking for the reputation on kicking the poor from their houses. Although there are some areas where, in the past, some local Politicos have waited until after the ten year period and paid the taxes themselves, thus acquiring title to the property.
The advice to go down to your city hall and ask them if rebars sticking out of the roof will allow you to avoid property taxes wouldn’t be recommended unless you are looking to pay the most allowable to be charged for your taxes. As in the States your property tax assessment can be challenged. Many laws are enforced by interpretations and have loopholes if you know the right people.
Absolutes are something that we all get used to not having. There may be two sides to every story but the truth is generally somewhere in-between.

arbon

Dec 10, 2009, 11:27 AM

Post #23 of 39 (10011 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
How much re-bar would they have continuing from the first floor to the second floor, if the second floor was going to built immediately.

(Just 4 at each corner?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rolly

Dec 10, 2009, 11:35 AM

Post #24 of 39 (10004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Retiring in Mexico

Look here and the following couple of pages: http://rollybrook.com/08-17.htm

Rolly Pirate

johanson

Dec 10, 2009, 12:04 PM

Post #25 of 39 (9990 views)

Shortcut

I too was sure that Rolly was wrong. I had heard the same urban legend and believed it. So when I met with my architect and contractor today to discuss the small structure he is completing for me, I asked him about the above

His answer was the same as Rolly's.

Am I an expert on the subject? Absolutely not.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4