Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Silence820

Dec 9, 2009, 12:25 AM

Post #1 of 73 (21035 views)

Shortcut

~~~> What Should I Bring?

Can't Post | Private Reply

I am relocating to Mexico in February. What are some of the things I should bring from the U.S. that I can’t get or would be more expensive in Mexico?
~~The Right Path, Is Your Own Path~~

esperanza

Dec 9, 2009, 5:54 AM

Post #2 of 73 (21006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Silence820] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

--Good knives for your kitchen.
--100% cotton sheets and pillowcases in the size you need.
--English-language books, or a Kindle.
--Crunchy peanut butter.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

yucatandreamer

Dec 9, 2009, 6:53 AM

Post #3 of 73 (20998 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

As far as I know the Kindle does not allow you to download books from public libraries. I have a Sony reader and have started reading books that I check out of the Toronto Public Library. If you have a library membership and that library system has electronic books you can download them to the Sony reader. There are other readers also entering the market. I think it is worth checking out the choices before ordering a Kindle. One of Kindle's advantages is that you do not need a computer to download a book or magazine but there are very few places in Mexico that can provide that service at this time.

esperanza

Dec 9, 2009, 8:07 AM

Post #4 of 73 (20985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Yucatandreamer, Kindle has a new global edition that allows direct downloads from Amazon.com to your Kindle, without going through your computer. There are other changes as well, but you're right that the Kindle does not allow downloads from a public library. However, Amazon's Kindle book prices are certainly more manageable than buying either hardback or paperbacks, and the Kindle is a very simple way to access books in English here in Mexico.

By all means go the the Amazon.com website and investigate the new global edition of the Kindle! http://www.amazon.com

joaquinx

Dec 9, 2009, 11:24 AM

Post #5 of 73 (20959 views)

Shortcut

The knives are a great idea. You can buy good knives at either Liverpool or Fabricas, but you will pay a premium price. The cotton sheets are a nice idea, but will they "fit" Mexican mattresses? I don't know if the mattresses are shorter or not, but they are higher/thicker than those in the US. Does anyone know where to buy fitted sheets that fit Mexican mattresses? English language books are a must. You have to be in a big English-speaking community to find any books in English worth reading. A few years ago, a new library opened with at least 6 meters of shelves of books in English - only one was worth reading. Peanut butter is sold at most of the large supermarkets and, of course, Sam's and Costco.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

La Isla

Dec 9, 2009, 1:13 PM

Post #6 of 73 (20942 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

I've brought back two sets of sheets from the US, nothing fancy, but they do fit my thick Mexican double mattress.

New English-language books are hard to find, even in Mexico City, and when you find them, they're very expensive. However, there are quite a few used bookstores in downtown Mexico City near the Cathedral, and they all seem to have sections for books in English. I also do a lot of swapping of books with friends here and have ordered used books from alibris and Amazon from time to time.

esperanza

Dec 9, 2009, 1:15 PM

Post #7 of 73 (20938 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Peanut butter is sold at most of the large supermarkets and, of course, Sam's and Costco.

Peanut butter, yes...smooth peanut butter. I've never seen crunchy peanut butter for sale in Mexico--other than at SuperLake in Ajijic.

joaquinx

Dec 9, 2009, 1:33 PM

Post #8 of 73 (20930 views)

Shortcut

I've never seen crunchy peanut butter for sale in Mexico-

I just came from Chedraui in Xalapa and they have Jif in Creamy and Crunchy. It's in their gourmet section.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Rolly

Dec 9, 2009, 1:34 PM

Post #9 of 73 (20930 views)

Shortcut

I have two jars of Jif super crunchy in my pantry that I bought at Soriana. They don't always have it, but often enough for my daily habit.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Dec 9, 2009, 1:59 PM

Post #10 of 73 (20922 views)

Shortcut

I am not certain, but I believe that single and matrimonial (double bed) size Mexican mattresses are the same size as they are in The US. Mexican king sized mattresses are definitely 5 inches shorter that the US size, they are the same width though. My wife had bought 3 sets of sheets for our Mexican king sized bed, but only one set would stay on it all night. The fitted bottom sheets of two of them would not stay on the corners of the thick pillow top mattress. There were no problems with the top, non-fitted sheets.

She could not find sheets that fit the bed properly anywhere here in Cuernavaca. México City is her hometown and she goes there at least once per month. She could not find properly fitting sheets anywhere there either. If you do find the right sized sheets, buy them now, forget about color or pattern, when you come back they will be gone.

I bought two sets of high thread count Egyptian cotton American king sized sheets at a Wal-mart when I made a trip to The US a couple of years ago for $54 Bucks per set.. They have a lot of elastic at the corners, almost all the way around the sheet. They pull under the mattress a little more than usual, but they fit fine. I also brought back a couple of down comforters. We need to tuck them under the foot of the mattress about 3 feet so they don't reach the floor and become a highway for insects (alacrans) to climb into our bed.

I also brought back 2 sets of four of those elastic straps with metal clips on the ends of them to clip the corners of bottom sheets to keep them from sliding off in the night. I figured it is better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Anonimo

Dec 9, 2009, 2:14 PM

Post #11 of 73 (20915 views)

Shortcut

I've occasionally found very small jars of crunchy PB. I think at Soriana in Pátzcuaro. But it's very expensive.

One could, of course, add chopped peanuts to smooth PB, if it's important to you. I'm gradually getting used to smooth, after 4+ years without crunchy. ;-)

Saludos,
Anonimo

tashby

Dec 9, 2009, 2:58 PM

Post #12 of 73 (20909 views)

Shortcut

"What you should bring" probably depends a lot on where you're moving to within Mexico. Availability varies by area, among.....other things. Are you moving to a city? The boondocks?

Other than that I vote.......CORN CHEX!!!!

(After a year and a half in Mexico, I found my first box ever yesterday at SuperLake. They must bring them in for the holidays, or something. Party Mix, dontcha know? I was actually looking for plain, sugar-free Cheerios.....had given up on ever finding Corn Chex a long time ago....but the Cheerios truck hasn't made it to town for a month or two. No store has them. When I saw the Corn Chex boxes I almost fainted.....never mind the price of that box of cereal..... about a peso per chex, I figure.)

P.S./Edit: This probably belongs in the Living Forum.

(This post was edited by tashby on Dec 9, 2009, 3:07 PM)

beachdreamer

Dec 9, 2009, 4:42 PM

Post #13 of 73 (20889 views)

Shortcut

The problem with the king size beds may not be the size but the sheets. My husband's cousin asked us to buy her some US king size sheets for her bed and I had the presence of mind to ask for the measurements. As you may know, there are 2 sizes of king beds: CA King and standard or Eastern king. Our cousin had the eastern king bed and the CA King sheets would have been a problem. You can find the standard king sets at Marshalls and I found one set at Target. Measure your bed before buying. I use queen sheets on a double bed in Mexico when I add the memory foam but otherwise the double sheets work well.
An adventure begins with a dream

robt65

Dec 9, 2009, 6:51 PM

Post #14 of 73 (20866 views)

Shortcut

PEANUT BUTTER !!!!!!!!!! jejejejejej . . . . . . . I think that you all have been in Mexico too long, if you think that the Mexican made peanut butter tastes anywhere like the peanut butter NOB!!! (smiling) I bought a couple of jars at the different large stores in Mexico and found a distinctly different taste, and not one that I was fond of. It almost tasted like very old peanut butter to me. I am back in the USA now and I have 3 large jars of Jiff packed in my baggage already! (smiling) Mexican margarine also takes some getting used to.

Also the Zip Lock bags that I have bought in Mexico sure do not have water tight capabilities. They leak and if they leak water then they do not keep food sealed. I don't mean at the "zip lock" part of the bag either. I also found that the plastic containers like "Glad" or "Zip Lock" containers in different sizes, were also hard to find. But I sure do like the Cappachino from the Oxxo stores.

Also for you folks that are talking about the thick Mexican mattresses and sheets . . .I don't know about them but NOB now, it is easy to find fitted sheets at Wal Mart and other such stores that are made for these "pillow top" style mattresses. Wouldn't they work on the thicker Mexican mattresses? Just a thought . . . .

Robert

Rolly

Dec 9, 2009, 6:59 PM

Post #15 of 73 (20862 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Bring your fav pickles. I have never found what I would consider a good pickle.

Rolly Pirate

robt65

Dec 9, 2009, 7:14 PM

Post #16 of 73 (20854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Thanks Rolly!

That is a good idea. I particularly like those "bread and butter" pickles. The ones that have the pickled cauliflower and small onions mixed in with them. Of course also the good "crispy" Vlasic Pickles! Think I will just do that!

Thanks again.

Robert

(This post was edited by robt65 on Dec 9, 2009, 7:17 PM)

Rolly

Dec 9, 2009, 7:23 PM

Post #17 of 73 (20850 views)

Shortcut

Bring some for me too.

Rolly Pirate

robt65

Dec 9, 2009, 7:42 PM

Post #18 of 73 (20842 views)

Shortcut

Which ones Rolly?

"Bread and butter" pickles or the Vlasic Dills? I have found some good Danish Blu Cheese in the import cheese section of Soriana Stores! Boy what a night this is going to turn into!!!!!!!!!!!! (smiling)

Robert

Rolly

Dec 9, 2009, 8:32 PM

Post #19 of 73 (20831 views)

Shortcut

Until I came to México, I had never met a pickle I didn't like.

B&Bs are great, so are Vlasics, and I like really sour ones, and hamburger pickles and the big fat whole ones.

And don't forget pickled okra. Even watermellow rind.

At least we can get pickled pig skin down here.

I've got to stop, I'm killing myself thinking about those succulent wonders.

Rolly Pirate

robt65

Dec 9, 2009, 8:45 PM

Post #20 of 73 (20816 views)

Shortcut

Wow Rolly!!!!!
I am going to have to get a bigger bag!!!! LOL I had forgotten pickled watermellon rind . . . . What was I thinking and how about some of those really great Pickled Eggs!!!!!!

You and I are going to have to meet some day and have some appetizers on my patio in San Juan del Rio . . I'll be back after Christmas and we can just sit and gorge with all these great tid bits!!!! Maybe we'll have a "Pickle Party" and invite some of these "Ex Pats" to some really good eatin!

I haven't had a good laugh like this in a long time! I am going shopping tomorrow though! I also like the big fat whole dills in the very large Vlasic Glass Jars. Maybe you and I should go into the pickling business!! Bet we could make a fortune in Pesos!!!!!!!!!! You could even add a section in your next book and call it "Pickled Ex Pats SOB" My glands are just watering in my mouth thinking about all these great pickled items!!!! Think I better go to bed!

Robert

Camille

Dec 9, 2009, 11:35 PM

Post #21 of 73 (20794 views)

Shortcut

Don't even think about leaving without some good stone-ground corn meal you can keep in your freezer.... here in the land of maiz, where you'd think you could get the fresh basic makings of good southern cornbread, you're in for a surprise. Bring good chocolate, Del Dixi Pickles, especially their baby dills, and GrapeNuts. A small box of my fave cereal is 86mxn pesos at the Mescales WalMart, a scandal!
Obviously one's hoarding instinct is heightened by living in Mexico.....who knows when that perfect light bulb may again be available......?
Or just come and bring nothing and get beyond your separation issues better than I obviously have....
Your ultimate destination will determine your choices.
Buena suerte!

robt65

Dec 10, 2009, 5:30 AM

Post #22 of 73 (20783 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Camille,

Thanks for the reminder on good old fashion light bulbs. I brought some last time but not enough. Sure dfo appreciate you folks for helping me with my shopping list.

Robert

esperanza

Dec 10, 2009, 5:35 AM

Post #23 of 73 (20783 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

I've always been able to buy cornmeal here in Mexico. You just have to know where to find it--not at your supermarket in a bag on the shelf with flour and other baking supplies, but in a bushel basket with chicken feed, in bulk. I buy fine-grind cornmeal for chickens and, if needed, pour it through a colander to remove any larger cracked corn. The elderly woman who sells it to me at Morelia's Mercado Independencia gets a big laugh every time I show up for more: she knows I use it to make bread, not to feed chickens. Next time I make cornbread, I've promised to take her some. Cornbread from chicken feed!

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 10, 2009, 5:36 AM)

Anonimo

Dec 10, 2009, 5:44 AM

Post #24 of 73 (20779 views)

Shortcut

I bought that chicken feed a couple of times in Pátzcuaro's mercado. First time wasn't too bad. Second time it had a lot of semi-ground cobs in it, plus little bugs. IMO, NFFHC.
(Not Fit For Human Consumption.)

We keep a goodly supply of real cornmeal on hand, imported by us and friends willing to drive it down. (And stone ground corn grits.)

(This thread has a lot in common with several past threads bemoaning the lack of our favorite foods here. I think it's a seasonal phenomenon.)

Saludos,
Anonimo

TlxcalaClaudia

Dec 10, 2009, 12:23 PM

Post #25 of 73 (20743 views)

Shortcut

I so agree that good knives would be nice to take with me into Mexico...I worried though of it being considered a weapon as crossing the border so left my set at home in Atlanta and overpaid for a set in Mexico.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4