Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Papirex

Dec 20, 2009, 8:48 AM

Post #51 of 73 (21415 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Can't Post | Private Reply

Update on dishwasher soap prices: I just bought some yesterday at Costco here in Cuernavaca. They didn't have any of their house brand, Kirkland, in the 2.82 Kg. Twin pack boxes, so I bought a 3.54 Kg. Box of Cascade brand for $141.44 Pesos, that is about $11 US Dollars. It is a big box and will probably last us about a year.

We have used both of them before, and there doesn't seem to be any difference in effectiveness between those two brands.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Hound Dog

Dec 20, 2009, 9:57 AM

Post #52 of 73 (21403 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Kitchen aid mixer
I saw one in Guadalajara at either Liverpool or Fabricas de Francia.

Anonimo

Dec 20, 2009, 11:24 AM

Post #53 of 73 (21395 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Two items I haven't found here that I use all the time and my neighbors are also interested in having but cannot be found:

1) A KitchenAid mixer - the heavy duty kind good for bread dough and other heavy uses, also has attachments available for meat-grinding, juicing, etc.

2) A side-open type can opener that cuts the top off cans cleanly from the side, not through the top.

Or if anyone knows where to find such, please tell me.

Peter, I think I've seen a Kitchen Aid Mixer in Costco. I'm not certain that it's the heaviest duty model, but it's there.
Alternately, you might try Sam's Club.
And if money is no barrier, take a look at the new Liverpool, at Plaza de Las Américas.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Peter

Dec 20, 2009, 1:59 PM

Post #54 of 73 (21376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Thanks Mr. Dawg and Anonimo,

Liverpool or Fabrics de Francia we have both here and I'll check them. I saw a mixer of another make at Costco. It had a similar mechanism and may be just as tough but it lacked the connector for attachments. The one I have will probably last the rest of my lifetime and it's already about ten, twelve years old but they're well built. My neighbors see mine and always inquire about where to get one, but if found it will probably be quite expensive for them, prohibitively so. So, if you got one and use it much, bring it. What it can do for bread dough in a few minutes would take 20-30 minutes by hand.

Papirex

Dec 20, 2009, 6:01 PM

Post #55 of 73 (21348 views)

Shortcut

Peter, the side opening electric can openers were heavily advertised on TV here a few years ago, the were priced at about $20 US Dollars then. On a trip I made to California in 2006 I bought a different brand at a Wal-Mart for $10 Bucks. It worked wonderfully for 3 months, then it died.

Fortunately. I also bought a manual side opener, we are still using it. On another trip NOB early this year, I bought 2 more of them as backups, I don't recall the prices, but they were cheap. I haven't looked, but I have never seen them in a store here. They are great for opening a can of dog food, giving half to the dogs and then putting the lid back on the can and putting the can in the refri for a few hours.

We don't really need anything from NOB, but whenever one of us goes there we usually buy a few things for convenience at very low prices. The cost of living in México may be low for food and housing, but for just about everything else most prices are sky-high. It balances out I think.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sioux4noff

Dec 20, 2009, 9:32 PM

Post #56 of 73 (21320 views)

Shortcut

Costco, and this is amazing - Home Depot here in Puerto Vallarta, I have seen Kitchen Aid mixers. A friend bought one iin a little plastics / miscelania store in Compostela, Nayarit. Go figure.

robt65

Oct 12, 2011, 1:57 AM

Post #57 of 73 (16274 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Hi Judy in Ags,

I started looking for some dill for sale, for some cooking and I came across your (this 2 year old) post regarding missing Dill Pickles. I recently have seen some large jars of Kosher Dill Pickles for sale in our Sam's Club here in San Juan del Rio, Queretaro. I know I also could not find them for a long time. Sam's seems to always be testing the market with some "one time" items and maybe that was just one of those items, but you might want to check it out at your local Sam's Club. Just thought I would mention it to you, as things may have changed over the past two years or so. Sure wish I could find my Dill. (smiling)

robt65

TxMex

Oct 19, 2011, 9:53 AM

Post #58 of 73 (16109 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

2 things that I searched high and low for was sage and chili powder WITHOUT lime in it. I literally could not find plain chili powder for traditional Texas chili. Dressing just isn't the same without sage.....gotta have it.

As always, good tools are excellent trade items. I made some amazing deals with mechanics in exchange for good quality metric hand tools.

cookj5

Oct 20, 2011, 5:46 PM

Post #59 of 73 (16036 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Silence820] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

I can see from the above posts that quite a few of us have a serious crunchy peanut butter "jones". Me too!

Serious things to bring that cost a lot more:

Electronics. Be sure, at a minimum, you bring along a good reliable laptop computer with updated software. There are so many ways a computer is useful down here: entertainment, movies, long distance communication (both email and Skype), banking, haunting the MexConnect Forums, etc.

Clothing: Unless you are small, you may find Mexican sizes a problem. My wife has a very hard time finding any shoes that will fit. In addition, high quality hiking boots of any size are very hard to find. The overall quality of clothing here still lags the US and Canada.

Sunblock: Mexico is a very sunny country and we are all of an age when we should be concerned about skin cancer (had it already, once). In my area (Lake Chapala) sunblock is generally 2-3X more expensive than NOB.

Dental floss: For some reason, this can sometimes be hard to find and is generally several times as expensive as NOB.

I'm sure there is more, but I'll let others get in on the fun.

YucaLandia

Oct 20, 2011, 7:25 PM

Post #60 of 73 (16014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

You might want to skip bringing sunscreen. Even sunscreens that advertise both UVA and UVB protection generally don't work as advertised. Most of their key UVA ingredients sweat off in under ½ hour. The ones that use avobenzone for UVA protection are particularly interesting, because the avobenzone breaks down in under 10 minutes of UVA exposure.

Sunscreen usage the last 40 years has likely been the cause of an epidemic of 3.5 million skin cancers per year in the USA as of 2006. People believed the advertising that sunscreens protected the user from skin cancer, while in reality sunscreens actually blocked only UV-B rays, the ones that cause sunburns. Sunscreens block the UVB rays, while allowing the higher UVA rays in to damage DNA, causing mutations that lead to cancer. By eliminating nature's warning system of sunburns that notify the person of too much sun exposure, people slather on sunscreen, and then spend hours out with exposed skin, absorbing lots of cancer causing UVA without getting a sunburn and almost no tan. Ironically, melanin (our natural skin pigment) absorbs 100% of UVA rays in lab testing, and it does not break down in sunlight. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/...cancer-epidemic.html http://esciencenews.com/...ioprotection.studied and September 18th, 1999; Vol.156 #12 / Unraveling the Mystery of Melanin

The best solutions are to limit sun exposure during 10:00AM - 2:00PM, or keep skin covered while in the sun, or wear Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide sun reflectors (greasy white powder-laden creams).

Ironically, the same companies that falsely advertised protection from the sun in the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's and 2000's are now promising the same protections that they did not deliver with their earlier products.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

TxMex

Oct 21, 2011, 5:55 AM

Post #61 of 73 (15981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

My naturopath told me flat out not to use sunscreen ever. She says the chemicals in it are really bad for you and....surprise!...may cause cancer!

This woman saved my life when doctors had sent me home to die. So when she tells me something I take it to heart. Now I keep a very light weight, long sleeve, denim shirt handy and wear that when I've had enough sun for the day.

tacito

Oct 25, 2011, 7:51 AM

Post #62 of 73 (15877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Esperanza: Bring: cranberry sauce if you want a tradional Thanksgiving dinner sometime. Also if you have a cat, Fancy Feast cat food used to be unavailable, but now it is at all Walmarts! All plastic products are very expensive..from simple bowls to plastic zip lock bags. Incandescent light bulbs mostly unavailable except at some Walmarts. Satellite radio equipment! The list of things you think you have to import will gradually grow smaller. Have fun!
Tacito

joaquinx

Oct 25, 2011, 9:03 AM

Post #63 of 73 (15864 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tacito] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

In Reply To
Incandescent light bulbs mostly unavailable except at some Walmarts.

I really have to ask. What type of incandescent light bulbs are you talking about? I have found that incandescents are found at every supermarket down to the local miscellanea. Are you taking about the frosted ones or the clear ones?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

tacito

Oct 28, 2011, 9:08 AM

Post #64 of 73 (15776 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

Hi.
I mean both frosted and clear, but I prefer frosted. There is this law coming into effect in the States next year outlawing incandescent bulbs. I hate the blue light and the ugly shape of the flourescent ones..a silly aesthetic notion, I know. But I am just planning ahead. Also flourescent light can cause skin cancer according to AMerican Cancer Society. There are still some incandescent bulbs in Walmart in Mexico now.
Tacito

DavidHF

Oct 28, 2011, 10:46 AM

Post #65 of 73 (15761 views)

Shortcut

If you buy the lower temp (2700) CFs they have the soft warm light. Incandescents are being phased out in Mexico too.

joaquinx

Oct 28, 2011, 11:29 AM

Post #66 of 73 (15751 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Also flourescent light can cause skin cancer according to AMerican Cancer Society. There are still some incandescent bulbs in Walmart in Mexico now.

I can find no reference to skin cancer caused by fluorescent light bulbs by the American Cancer Society. This seems to be another urban myth similar to vaccinations causing autism. Finally, you can buy incandescent bulbs at ANY supermarket.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

fordmexico

Oct 29, 2011, 11:18 AM

Post #67 of 73 (15679 views)

Shortcut

RE:law coming into effect in the States next year outlawing incandescent bulbs.

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 1997 requires that light bulbs be 25% more efficient than those currently in use (incandescent bulbs). Although not actually outlawing the incandescent bulb it effectively bans the import or manufacture of the bulbs since a 25-30% increase in efficiency is not currently feasible with current incandescent technology. The transition to more efficient bulbs will be PHASED IN, starting in 2012 with 100 watt bulbs, ending in 2014 with 40 watt bulbs.

EXEMPT are specialty bulbs, 3-way bulbs, appliance bulbs, rough service bulbs and those less than 40 watts or greater than 150 watts.

In 2020, the act requires that bulbs become even more efficient.

Although the CFL's produce more light in the "blue" spectrum range and blue light reduces the body's production of melatonin and reduced production of melatonin is linked to an increased incidence of melatoma (skin cancer), I could find no definitive study accepted by the American Cancer Society that linked skin cancer with normal use of CFL's.

There is, however, some health risk associated with the use of CFL's due to the presence of mercury contained within the CFL bulb. Breakage of a bulb would release a VERY minute amount of mercury or mercury vapor into the surrounding environment. Any breakage should be carefully cleaned up with care given to avoid direct skin contact with the breakage.

Its seems to me that most of the fervor in regards to the ACT of 1997 is related more to the freedom of choice/government control, than to the actual efficiency of the CFL or its potential health issues.

YucaLandia

Oct 29, 2011, 7:12 PM

Post #68 of 73 (15634 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

In Reply To
...Although the CFL's produce more light in the "blue" spectrum range and blue light reduces the body's production of melatonin and reduced production of melatonin is linked to an increased incidence of melatoma (skin cancer), I could find no definitive study accepted by the American Cancer Society that linked skin cancer with normal use of CFL's. ...

Hey ford,
Do you have any links you can cite to explain your use of "melatonin" and "melatoma" ?

I think you might be mixing up the terminology:
I think you are confusing melatonin (sleep hormone) with melanin - the skin pigment that gives us skin color. There really is not enough high energy light coming from fluorescent lights to affect our melanin levels, though there is enough violet and blue light from fluorescent bulbs to affect melatonin (sleep hormone) levels - helping us avoid SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Further, the word "melatoma " does not exist, so I believe you are referring to malignant melanoma (skin cancer), which has nothing to do with the sleep hormone "melatonin" nor with fluorescent lights .

Awake vs. Asleep and the Benefits of Fluorescent Lights:
"Melatonin" is a natural human hormone that helps us fall into deep sleep, and appropriate high energy light helps trigger and set our biological clocks to a natural rhythm. Blue and violet light tells our brain to identify daytime (naturally high seratonin and low melatonin) vs nighttime, making us alert and awake with seratonin during the day. Later, at night our biological clock slowly raises melatonin levels to get us sleepy, with maximum melatonin levels coming in a dark room (or eyes covered with a light blocking mask) for deep restful sleep.

The higher energy wavelengths (blues and violets) in fluorescent light from the mercury's 4 lines between 404nm - 435nm do not actually lower melatonin, but they do help reset/trigger our biological clock to increase seratonin at the time we should wake up. These higher wavelengths from lights are not intense enough to give us a tan (high melanin). They also do not cause DNA damage nor do they affect any cancers.

Fluorescent Lights and Tanning (not):
High amounts of melanin from sun exposure to Caucasians can sometimes be accompanied by malignant melenoma due to excess sun exposure**, but because there is not enough high energy light from fluorescent lights, they do not damage DNA and they do not cause cancer like sunlight.
Hope this helps,
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

tacito

Oct 31, 2011, 8:28 AM

Post #69 of 73 (15543 views)

Shortcut

Cookj5, If you are someone with you is an Extra Large size, bring clothes with you because there are few to no clothes big enough to fit!
Tacito

cookj5

Nov 8, 2011, 8:52 PM

Post #70 of 73 (15400 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

I buy crunchy peanut butter in Soriana in Chapala every week. Usually Jif brand, but there is also Mexican crunchy.

esperanza

Nov 9, 2011, 6:02 AM

Post #71 of 73 (15365 views)

Shortcut

Take a look at the date this thread originally started--nearly two years ago. Even in that short time, many things that were not often available in Mexico are now sometimes available, including crunchy peanut butter.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sioux4noff

Nov 11, 2011, 8:15 PM

Post #72 of 73 (15296 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

I can't find decent crunchy peanut better on a consistant basis in Puerto Vallarta. And I won't eat the Aladin brand - YUCK!

telcoman

Nov 13, 2011, 4:06 PM

Post #73 of 73 (15231 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] ~~~> What Should I Bring?

I cannever find Ant Traps. Just the spray. Also if you like diet pop other than coke or squirt, you won't find any.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4