Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

SanFranDan

Dec 6, 2009, 8:22 AM

Post #1 of 70 (10062 views)

Shortcut

Deported

| Private Reply
anyone here ever been officially deported from Mexico, or know of someone who has. Yup, you guessed, I did! And for what??? Absolutely NOTHING!!!

La Isla

Dec 6, 2009, 8:29 AM

Post #2 of 70 (10049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [SanFranDan] Deported

| Private Reply
It's never happened to me, but I know of cases where someone has been deported for working here illegally.

Anonimo

Dec 6, 2009, 10:22 AM

Post #3 of 70 (10010 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
NOTHING? Can you illuminate us with a few details?

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Gringal

Dec 6, 2009, 11:22 AM

Post #4 of 70 (9989 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes. I knew a woman who moved to Chiapas and became an advocate for the Zapatistas. She was deported.

La Isla

Dec 6, 2009, 11:59 AM

Post #5 of 70 (9974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Deported

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Yes. I knew a woman who moved to Chiapas and became an advocate for the Zapatistas. She was deported.

Yes, but she was deported for doing something, and a big something at that!

BajaGringo

Dec 6, 2009, 12:43 PM

Post #6 of 70 (9963 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, if you were DOING NOTHING while...

1. Working without a visa lucrativa
2. Involved in local politics
3. Smoking funny cigarettes
4. Sitting on a park bench (naked)

Those things and a few others could possibly get you deported. My guess is there is something besides the nothing you were busy doing...

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

SanFranDan

Dec 6, 2009, 1:20 PM

Post #7 of 70 (9950 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] Deported

| Private Reply
Well, if helping a Mexican family that I have known for 15 years install a security camera system in their restaurant counts as working in Mexico, then I guess I'm guilty!!

Migracion took me in, refused to speak english, and just made me sign papers, promising to release me in the morning. Nope: After 8 days in holding, and a trip to Houston airport, I was officially out of the country!

I have money. I have 2 businesses in San Francisco. I own property in Mexico and the US.
How dumb is Mexico immigration for thinking I am "working" in Mexico for monetary gain? Absolutely stupid!

I have since found out that jealousy from another restaurant set all this in motion, and currently have a lawyer in Mexico City working on getting this resolved

Rolly

Dec 6, 2009, 2:13 PM

Post #8 of 70 (9926 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Citizen complaints to INM often bring swift action. I almost got caught in such a squeeze several years ago while we were building Las Casas. The grouch across the street objected to the construction noise and the smell of the paint. He complained about me to INM. They told the guy I was legal, so they would not take any action on his complaint.

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Dec 6, 2009, 6:00 PM

Post #9 of 70 (9867 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Deported

| Private Reply
Hello all,

Yes, I know of one man who was deported and have heard of two others who were deported overnight, and a third who was investigated
but not deported.

The first was the ward of a man who died. This ward had fallen off a roof and had a plate in his head. He functioned well but had no short term
memory and was always getting lost. When his guardian died, this WWII veteran did not have sufficient money to maintain himself here in Mexico with the constant attendance necessary. He was deported without malice and with the aid of the US Consulate in Monterrey which paid his fare and round trip for the transit of a companion to accompany him to an arranged entry into a Veterans Home in the US.

The two I heard about were a couple of youngsters who were rumored to be using and selling dope. That was some twenty one years in the past
and before I got to Mexico. They were not permitted to take any of their belongings with them except clothing. They later called a young travel agent
who had helped them settle here in Mexico and told her that all their household furnishings and bicycles, etc were hers since she couldn't ship them out. I knew this young agent well since she spoke English well and was very helpful to all gringo newcomers to Jerez.

The third was a "remittance man", a homosexual artist who used to throw some wild parties. A gringa neibghbor who was a good friend got crosswise with him and reported him for deportation. Several of our then numerous gringo population presented counter information with immigration. He was investigated
but not even warned to change his living style and he lived here in peace for another two years before he had to go back to Colorado to arrange a
cost of living allowance from his tight-fisted estate trustee. The estate had money from oil but the trustee just did not want to disburse any of it.

Perhaps we are lucky here in Zacatecas. Our Immigration people act but always in our best interests. They will not bend any laws but they are not
precipitate in enforcing them. Only after thorough investigation and work with the people involved have they taken action.

jerezano.

esperanza

Dec 6, 2009, 6:12 PM

Post #10 of 70 (9857 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes, I do: he was working without papers and, just as in your case, was reported to INM by someone in the same line of work who was jealous and angry that this foreigner was allegedly taking work from him. From one day to the next, he was on a plane to the States. He was not allowed to take anything with him except the clothes on his back, and he was not allowed to return.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Marlene

Dec 6, 2009, 9:30 PM

Post #11 of 70 (9802 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Deported

| Private Reply
Esperanza mentioned the magic words about taking work away from a local Mexican. It doesn't matter if you are doing it out of the goodness of your heart or in exchange for hamburgers or whatever. It still counts. The local security camera installer has one less job for every charity job you do, and he needs the work. And he is entitled to it, unless you have the legal right to be doing it. It's really pretty simple.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Dec 6, 2009, 9:32 PM)

Gringal

Dec 7, 2009, 6:22 AM

Post #12 of 70 (9741 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Deported

| Private Reply
There is a problem even with the volunteers at the local charities...if they are doing work that could be done by a Mexican hiree.

La Isla

Dec 7, 2009, 7:46 AM

Post #13 of 70 (9708 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Deported

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Esperanza mentioned the magic words about taking work away from a local Mexican. It doesn't matter if you are doing it out of the goodness of your heart or in exchange for hamburgers or whatever. It still counts. The local security camera installer has one less job for every charity job you do, and he needs the work. And he is entitled to it, unless you have the legal right to be doing it. It's really pretty simple.

Couldn't have said it better myself. And it doesn't matter if you have 10 businesses in the States and own property in several countries, working without an FM3 (or 2) is illegal. Punto final! That said, I can imagine that spending 8 days in a Mexican jail is no picnic. I hope your lawyer gets everything straightened out for you in the near future.

esperanza

Dec 7, 2009, 7:50 AM

Post #14 of 70 (9701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Deported

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

Couldn't have said it better myself. And it doesn't matter if you have 10 businesses in the States and own property in several countries, working without an FM3 (or 2) is illegal. Punto final! That said, I can imagine that spending 8 days in a Mexican jail is no picnic. I hope your lawyer gets everything straightened out for you in the near future.

Not only does one need an FM-3 or an FM-2, it's also necessary to have valid permission to work--the visa that BajaGringo mentions in Post #6 of this thread.

You absolutely can't work in Mexico by simply having an FM-3 or an FM-2.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

SanFranDan

Dec 7, 2009, 7:51 AM

Post #15 of 70 (9700 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, you have a point. However, you know what is missing here: Sentido Comun! There are no people who knew how to effectively install the system, and I was helping the local electrician!

This was plain and simple envidioso, and I was not "working" for monetary gain, nor taking a job away from a capable person. The people at Migracion where friendly; however, they where doing their job,so I understand. Amazing...welcome to a third world country

La Isla

Dec 7, 2009, 7:56 AM

Post #16 of 70 (9695 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Deported

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not only does one need an FM-3 or an FM-2, it's also necessary to have valid permission to work--the visa that BajaGringo mentions in Post #6 of this thread.

You absolutely can't work in Mexico by simply having an FM-3 or an FM-2.

Sorry for my inaccurate post, esperanza. I was thinking of my own situation (I have an FM3 that allows me to teach English), forgetting that most MexConnect posters have FM3s (and FM2s) that only allow them to live in Mexico.

Zorba

Dec 7, 2009, 8:50 AM

Post #17 of 70 (9664 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This is exactly why I will apply for citizenship as soon as I am eligible. The benefits of having the same rights as any Mexican far outweighs the diplomatic advantages I may have without Mexican citzenship.

I believe I read in the Mexican constitution that a foreigner can be deported at any time and assests can be seized. Not a good position to be in if you are heavily invested in the country.

Am I right about that? Does anybody know the law regarding deportation?

(This post was edited by Zorba on Dec 7, 2009, 9:15 AM)

Rolly

Dec 7, 2009, 9:01 AM

Post #18 of 70 (9647 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zorba] Deported

| Private Reply
Article 33 of the Mexican Constitution:

Article 33 - Foreigners are those who do not possess the qualities determined in Articled 30. They have the right to the guarantees of Chapter I of the first title of this Constitution, but the Executive of the Union has the exclusive right to expel from the national territory, immediately and without necessity of judicial proceedings, all foreigners whose stay it judges inconvenient. Foreigners may not, in any manner, involve themselves in the political affairs of the country.

Rolly Pirate

Zorba

Dec 7, 2009, 9:13 AM

Post #19 of 70 (9637 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes Rolly that is it. Thank you! It reads to me like "We can expel you anytime, anywhere, anyhow, anywhy, anywhen! Piss off the wrong person and you could find yourself and your assets gone. Hence, my application for citizenship. One thing I have learned from all my travels is that minorities are very convenient targets.

(This post was edited by Zorba on Dec 7, 2009, 9:17 AM)

SanFranDan

Dec 7, 2009, 10:50 AM

Post #20 of 70 (9608 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zorba] Deported

| Private Reply
http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/2008/01/27/n4.html

just found this....

Edited for live link.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 7, 2009, 11:05 AM)

Moisheh

Dec 7, 2009, 5:22 PM

Post #21 of 70 (9516 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Immigration officials being complete jerks is not limited to Mexico. There are plenty of horror stories of US officials harassing Canadians at the border. Recently an RV'r ( on his way to Mexico) was sent back to Canada as some Immigration Man decided he was coming into the country to work!! I know another who was going to Florida to help his friend fix a boat powerplant. He had some tools in his suitcase and was not allowed to leave Canada. So your case has nothing to do with Mexico being a developing nation ( it is not considered 3rd world).

Moisheh

Reefhound

Dec 7, 2009, 6:39 PM

Post #22 of 70 (9495 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Deported

| Private Reply
Being denied entry is a bit different than being rounded up while living there and summarily booted out and having to leave all your property and possessions behind.

La Isla

Dec 7, 2009, 6:44 PM

Post #23 of 70 (9491 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Article 33 of the Mexican Constitution:

Article 33 - Foreigners are those who do not possess the qualities determined in Articled 30. They have the right to the guarantees of Chapter I of the first title of this Constitution, but the Executive of the Union has the exclusive right to expel from the national territory, immediately and without necessity of judicial proceedings, all foreigners whose stay it judges inconvenient. Foreigners may not, in any manner, involve themselves in the political affairs of the country.

I wonder how many other countries have a similar clause in their constitutions...

robt65

Dec 8, 2009, 3:59 PM

Post #24 of 70 (9339 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hi All!

Boy this is really a timely article for me to read . . . . . you all have just scared the $#%& out of me but at least I read this in time. I have recently married a Mexican national. I have in hand a Mexican FM2 without the endorsement required for working in Mexico. I am planning to get that upon my return at the end of December. I have already taken most of my personal effects across paying the necessary duty as I did so. This was to be my last trip with my 16 foot double axel trailer and on this trip I had planned to bring across my tools (many of them) including one eight foot latter and one 20 foot extension ladder, a chop saw and stand and several other electrical tools as well as some hand tools. I am also going to bring two file cabinets and a few pieces of baby furniture two household occasional chairs. Actually I was going to go into business with my brother-in-law (Mexican National) and use the trailer for our small construction remodel business. Now I am scared to death of being deported before I even get my tools into the country.

My immigration lawyer advised me to tell them I was using the tools to remodel the house I was buying. What do you all think about this possibility? Is this too risky? The I thought of telling them I was giving all my tools to my brother-in-law as I had closed my architectural consulting business in the USA. Anyone think this would work?

Maybe it is better to get a storage locker in Texas and go back from Queretaro and get the smaller tools from time to time.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Robert

SanFranDan

Dec 8, 2009, 4:01 PM

Post #25 of 70 (9337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Deported

| Private Reply
What this this have to do with this thread?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4