Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

VisitPV

Nov 28, 2009, 8:45 AM

Post #1 of 17 (9100 views)

Shortcut

Expired Mexican Car Permit

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know the solution to the following dilemma? We received our car permit from the Austin Mexican Consulate and drove into Mexico late 06. We drove back across the border with our SUV in early 07 and due to an emergency at home completely forgot to turn in the car permit. Needless to say it is still on our windshield. Problem is we want to drive into Mexico at the same crossing Jan. 4. I already tried getting it online with the Banjercito site and it didn't go thru because the VIN # is showing the car still has the permit.
What do we do to get another permit? Go back to the Austin Consulate? Go straight to the Columbia Solidarity Bridge crossing? Has anybody done this before....please help, time is upon us and we are part of a group of people that will be driving to Mexico together.
Thank you

Peter

Nov 29, 2009, 7:06 AM

Post #2 of 17 (9051 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VisitPV] Expired Mexican Car Permit

Get another permit? Is that for a different car? That could be a problem, but if you want to use the same car that is already permitted I see no problem. I assume you will be stopping for tourist visas or already have them. In that case with current visas you could be good to go, or if getting new visas in Mexico go to the vehicle place and ask to renew your permit.

Mexican burocracy can hinder trying to do things 'by the book' so you often just have to improvise and do the best you can. If visiting Mexico with a current visa and an old vehicle permit is the best you can do it will probably get you by. If questioned about the permit if you are stopped a little mordida should easily remedy any problem right there or the authorities will find a solution, after some negotiation, which would probably be like a reasonable fine, or mordida paid downtown as the case may be. Your existing permit should give the outward appearance that all is well, paid for, and will in all likelihood allow you to go on your merry way unbothered.

Do try to do what is right, but failing that any consequences should be minor and easily remedied, you have made every effort to be correct. There is no one solution that fits all in Mexico so you may need to improvise. Next time don't forget the details. Disclaimer: Someone else might have a better solution for you.

Reefhound

Nov 29, 2009, 7:38 AM

Post #3 of 17 (9046 views)

Shortcut

Wow, I would not drive into Mexico with a permit expired three or four years ago. Good way to get your car confiscated if you run into the wrong authorities.

I believe the permits are linked to your name, birthdate, and VIN. As you found out, they keep track. I think they will also deny you a permit for a different vehicle. Maybe try a different vehicle in your spouse's name?

Best approach is return to the border and they can cancel your old permit without penalty (unlike the expired FMTs). I don't think the consulates can do this for you but maybe worth a phone call to check.

Don Gringo

Nov 29, 2009, 8:56 AM

Post #4 of 17 (9027 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Expired Mexican Car Permit

Does anyone know the name of agency that deals with the permits on the Mexico side? I tried to get mine cancelled, but my door VIN# is not the same as the vehicle VIN# and the agent said she couldn't get a picture of the VIN in the windshield because of the reflection. I live in Nuevo Laredo, so I would rather go to an office rather than deal with the booth before bridge 2.
Doug
Lived for 35 months in Mexico. I feel like I paid my dues...

Reefhound

Nov 29, 2009, 10:05 AM

Post #5 of 17 (9014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Gringo] Expired Mexican Car Permit

I think the agency name is Hacienda. But you don't have to use the little drive-thru booth just before the toll booth on bridge #2. I've had problems with their scanners there. Turn right on that little road at the preceding red light (can't remember the name) that leads to the main immigration building and in the parking lot next to the building there is a drive thru lane where they can scan it and give you a receipt. They have hand scanners there so if the overhead scanner doesn't register they will step out and get it done.

Peter

Nov 29, 2009, 3:43 PM

Post #6 of 17 (8980 views)

Shortcut

My vehicle permit stays valid as long as my visa remains valid, FM-3. I don't expect quite the same for a tourist visa and every effort should be made to renew the old permit at the border area if not online or at a consulate in the US beforehand. It seems doubtful they would wish to scrape the old sticker and replace it but rather leave it and issue a new paper permit showing any appropriate fees paid current.

If the document remains on the computer it has all the necessary information and that the vehicle was legally brought into the country, providing title hasn't changed and names and the numbers still match. For that I consider the possibility of confiscation very much a longshot, an extra fine to pay at worst.

Even more unlikely is that they would be turned away at the border and refused a reissue or update of their permit. I'm a resident in the central highlands and not a regular border-crosser so there is much that I don't know for certain. But for several years I've never had my permit called into question or even asked to see the papers or my visa. A quick glance that there was a sticker on the windshield is the most I've ever had to provide.

chinagringo

Nov 29, 2009, 4:48 PM

Post #7 of 17 (8968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Expired Mexican Car Permit

Granted a different border crossing but Aduana took a very hard look at our car permit and accompanying paperwork on August 14th. Two days later, they replaced all of the agents and on our way back north, we glanced over to the Aduana facility and they had moved the military with plenty of equipment onto the premises. I, for one, would not count on past practices at any border crossing being consistent with what they may be doing today.

Hopefully the OP didn't fail to cancel their visas if they were on FMT's. One poster stated there was no fine for an expired vehicle permit but you can be assured that there is a fine for expired FMT's. The published fine is $5 USD per day of expiration!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sioux4noff

Nov 29, 2009, 7:23 PM

Post #8 of 17 (8950 views)

Shortcut

A number of years ago (about 5) you could obtain and cancel car permts at the Austin office of the Mexican consulate. As I recall, it was actually a seperate office (probably Aduana), but at the same place as the consulate. I'd try there first.

Don Gringo

Nov 29, 2009, 8:57 PM

Post #9 of 17 (8926 views)

Shortcut

The problem being that they will not be able to scan my VIN# the only barcode would have been in the door before the door got replaced, and the bodyshop didn't switch the stickers. Hindsight is 20/20, and never thought it would be the problem it is is for various reasons, i.e., emissions and such.

I goto bridge 2 on the 'right hand' loop so to speak along the river, as I stopped going through the 20 lights up Degallado to bridge 2. Not sure which right hand turn you mentioned, but I am going to get the truck tomorrow from San Antonio, and it still has a valid permit, but I will be changing tags tomorrow to Texas plates.

I am not too worried though as the NEW aduana is slacker than the old.
Doug

Reefhound

Nov 29, 2009, 9:07 PM

Post #10 of 17 (8920 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Gringo] Expired Mexican Car Permit

Yes, I am talking about the Donaldo Colosio perifico, the last red light before you pass the "point of no return" so to speak, looking at google I see it is the intersection with Hidalgo. Here is a link, put in satellite view with labels off, then follow to the bridge as this side road parallels the perifico a bit then curves right and under the bridge to the main building. The caseta to cancel the permiso is at the west end of the building.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=27.495596,-99.491597&spn=0.005615,0.00854&t=h&z=17

(This post was edited by Reefhound on Nov 29, 2009, 9:08 PM)

Don Gringo

Nov 29, 2009, 9:27 PM

Post #11 of 17 (8914 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, Reefhound
I'll track it down in a few days after the new job details settle down. Permit expires mid December. So I will have time to deal with that. I don't plan on going any further south for quite awhile. So I really don't need it anymore. Although, the tacos in Monterrey were damned good coming up this way. I'm pretty sure I can resist.... for now.
Doug

VisitPV

Nov 30, 2009, 2:12 PM

Post #12 of 17 (8867 views)

Shortcut

I feel much better when I got this answer from BANJERCITO directly. See email below.

Dear Lisa
Thanks for your email.
You have to cancel the old permit before you can apply for a new one.
It is not possible to return a vehicle permit by Internet, by mail or in any General Consulate of Mexico. It is only possible at the border.
But on your next trip to Mexico visit Banjercito’s Module at any border. There is no fee or penalty for late canceling. Please contact Banjercito’s agents and they will explain how to cancel a permit when the documents are lost.
Once cancelled, you can apply immediately for a new permit. A Mexican Citizen has to wait the complete period, what is 12 months from the start of the validity of the actual permit.
In case you are not sure to use the same vehicle on your next trip to Mexico, we suggest you to get in contact with Mexican Customs Authorities. Only they can give you correct instructions how to proceed.
The e-mail-address is CIITEVAduanaMexico@sat.gob.mx .
You may call them too by phone. The numbers are ++52 (55)-58-02-21-85 or ++52 (55)-58-02-07-52 in Mexico City.
We hope this information is useful for you.
If you have further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us again.
With best regards
Gerd

Rolly

Nov 30, 2009, 2:18 PM

Post #13 of 17 (8864 views)

Shortcut

Thank you for the post. It's good to have the latest info directly from the horse's mouth.

Rolly Pirate

RickS

Nov 30, 2009, 3:24 PM

Post #14 of 17 (8854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Expired Mexican Car Permit

Yes, and it confirms, if anyone needs confirmation, that these Banjercito records are computerized.... as 3 years later (the OP originally crossed in late 2006) it is still showing that a temporary permit is still attached to that VIN#.

Moisheh

Dec 2, 2009, 6:17 AM

Post #15 of 17 (8771 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Expired Mexican Car Permit

Car permit records go back to when they first started using the hologram!!

Moisheh

Flaekingur

Dec 2, 2009, 11:05 AM

Post #16 of 17 (8746 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Expired Mexican Car Permit

We last came from Mexico in April 2004. As we did not plan on going back, during a clean out a couple of years ago, I threw out the receipts for the return of the vehicle permit our for our FMT payments. I presume their computerized records will show that we we did conform, however, as this would have been about when they first got into the computerization of these records, what happens if there records don't show this? Also, I now have a different vehicle but the same plates. Has anybody ran across this situation?
Al

Moisheh

Dec 2, 2009, 3:01 PM

Post #17 of 17 (8720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Flaekingur] Expired Mexican Car Permit

I am not sure when the hologram program started but I think it was before 2000. In 2003 we tried to get a new permit for my wife. At the time she still had a car in Mexico. I didnt think they had old records but it came up right away. THe old permit was from about 1999. Their database will bring up the old records in a number of ways including your name and DL#.

Moisheh

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4