Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Hound Dog

Nov 19, 2009, 2:21 PM

Post #1 of 11 (7728 views)

Shortcut

San Pablo Centro Oftalmologico, Zapopan

Can't Post | Private Reply
Dawg just had a cataract removed using ultrasound by Dr. Andres Padilla Allhaud and his excellent team of physicians and staff at this clinic which is located at Avenida Americas #1200, Colonia Altamira in Zapopan. Dr. Padilla was recommended to us by a local neighbor who has had extensive experience with Dr. Padilla and the clinic and speaks very highly of them in evey respect. I was not only greatly inpressed by the surgical teamīs outstanding professionalism and pride in their work but by the state-of-the art nature of their equipment and impeccable cleanliness of their beautiful facility. Not only that, but the cost of the entire procedure, which came out of my own pocket rather than from insurance company proceeds. was quite reasonable although that was not my main concern.

Today, a day after the surgery, they removed my eye patch and I hevenīt seen with such clarity since I was a kid and I am now 67 years old. I pass this on to Lakeside readers of this forum because I realize how critical expert eye care can be for those of us long of tooth who have retired to this area. I should point out I have had cataract surgery in the past at another clinic in Guadalajara and there was no comparison of the standards being set by those folks and this clinic.

If anyone is interested and wishes clinic contact information, PM me.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 19, 2009, 3:08 PM)

Hound Dog

Nov 26, 2009, 12:43 PM

Post #2 of 11 (7546 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] San Pablo Centro Oftalmologico, Zapopan

Just got back from San Pablo Clinic where the stitch in my left eye was removed one week and a day after my ultra-sound cataract removal surgery. All has gone well and now that that stitch has been removed I am cognizant of the vast improvement in my long- range sight. My traditional astigmatism has been mitigated and now I can drive without glasses including what used to be the curse of entering and exiting the many frenetic urban tunnels of Guadalajara amidst fast and uncompromising traffic. I am reborn, at least until my liver or heart or pancreas or kidneys or what have you give out. Damn the torpedoes - full speed ahead. Tomorrow we meet our fate.

I cannot praise this clinic enough.

cristalhombre

Nov 26, 2009, 10:25 PM

Post #3 of 11 (7489 views)

Shortcut

Dawg

First of all - On this day of recognition........ I want you to know I'm "thankful" for your edgy posts here on M/C! You keep me comin back.

congrats on the new eye(s)............I had been thinking that you might be suffering from some type of neurological damage.......like the retina nerve + your rectum nerve short-circuiting with one another.....creating a rather "shitty outlook" in posts as of late. But NO. It was just a cataract.

AND now you can see "clearly"....cool. Perhaps the vivid colors and elimination of the 'shadows' will foster new FRESH literary work from the Dawg. Still waiting to hear more about Chiapas........not just that it is better than sump-ville, but MORE details........what goes on there.....whatta ya do all day?

Bout them ojos..............Even tho you gave me a bum suggestion on Tarbarka (for the WORST EVER Paella meal)........I am going to check out this clinic you praise. I'm only 53, but I have a nasty cataract in my right eye. It bothers me more and more, and that tunnel experience you mentioned (from dark to light) is just a bitch for me! My opthamologist in Portland, indicates that I have to have a 50% loss of vision to have a lens replacement done here (insurance rules), but I have a hard time reading at this point and it is just damn annoying. Screw the rules........... I am going to resolve this without the help of BlueCross and check out this clinic on my next trip SOB.

What is the time frame from initial exam to post-op visits. Can I do it all in two weeks? What is the approx. fee for a lens replacement? thanks for the info.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

Hound Dog

Nov 27, 2009, 5:42 AM

Post #4 of 11 (7465 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] San Pablo Centro Oftalmologico, Zapopan

Cristalhombre:

Itīs always refreshing to hear from a true fan - especially one with a sense of humor.

I hate to disappoint you but now that I can see again I have been able to brush that chip off my shoulder and now, in my new enlightened state, I have transmogrified and become that most dreaded of creatures - a righteous and unctuously nice creature with nothing controversial to say ever again - at least until Don Herradura arrives with his potion (as suggested by Rick with keen insight).

We will be back in San Cristóbal for the winter and look forward to that fact. Dawg is frantically fixing his eyes and teeth in Sumptown and Zapopan īcause, while San Cristóbal is a wonderful town, the dental and medical clinics there leave something to be desired except for the cockroaches whose expectations are fully met there. The new Bionic Bubba hopes to survive a few months in Chiapas without losing another internal organ such as the gall bladder lost the last time I was down there. My health insurance company has informed me that there is not a single top rated hospital in Chiapas and if I choose to live in the boonies, the nearest top rated hospitals are in Mexico City which is about an hourīs flight away but they wonīt pay for my air transport there because they have decided that anyone dumb enough to live down there will probably eventually need an expensive brain transplant.

I donīt like to speak of finances but since you inquired; the left eye cataract operation done with ultrasound at the San Pablo Clinic by Dr. Padilla, cost me $17,000 Pesos plus $2,000 Pesos for the initial, unusually complicated, consultation. Thatīs a total of around the equivalent of $1,470USD at todayīs exchange rate. Since my health insurance deductible is $27,200 Pesos, the cost was totally out-of-Dawgīs-pocket. The consultation and operation can take place the same week if you plan right. Stitches were removed a week later and there is another follow-up consultration plus fitting for new glasses scheduled in a few weeks but you can do that stuff back in the states. The operation started at 9:00AM and I was out of there by 11:00AM and home at Lakeside an hour or so later. The operation was a hell of a lot easier than I expected and the surgical team most impressive.

What do you think this procedure would cost you in the U.S.?

Hound Dog

Nov 27, 2009, 6:21 AM

Post #5 of 11 (7457 views)

Shortcut

..............Even tho you gave me a bum suggestion on Tarbarka (for the WORST EVER Paella meal)........

Yes, I know that this thread is about eye surgery but an injustice has been committed requiring rectification.

Now, now, Cristalhombre; you have unfairly mischaracterized the Dawg in a most reprehensible fashion for the Dawg never - ever - suggested that anyone in their right mind order the paella at Tabarka. Rather, I recommended the fresh fish and shellfish and never even mentioned their paella and therein lies a story.

When Tabarka first opened its Ajijic branch about a year or so ago, I and some friends went there and ordered a paella to share. Inedible! Dreadful! We each took one bite and left for another restaurant. I didnīt even ask for a doggy bag for the pooches. It was months before I returned and flipped over the wonderful fish, shellfish and great salads they serve there. That is what I then and still recommend. If I were advising Tabarka management I would suggest they desist with offering paella until they have taken a refresher course in proper paella preparation.

I have spoken of this in another thread wherein Dawg gives his personal paella recipe which is OK although Dawgīs rice grains tend to stick together but then Iīm just a marginally educated South Alabama swampbunny so what do you expect? After all, I should be making jamabalaya (South Alabama down-on-the-bayou paella) rather than Spanish-style paella in light of my heritage.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 27, 2009, 6:31 AM)

Manuel Dexterity

Nov 27, 2009, 6:56 AM

Post #6 of 11 (7449 views)

Shortcut

What doesn't seem to jive here, mutt, is that paella is not a difficult nor complicated dish to prepare. If they do such a wonderful job on fish, which is mostly achieved by not overcooking, then what's the pedo with the paella?

Hound Dog

Nov 27, 2009, 7:52 AM

Post #7 of 11 (7430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] San Pablo Centro Oftalmologico, Zapopan

What doesn't seem to jive here, mutt, is that paella is not a difficult nor complicated dish to prepare. If they do such a wonderful job on fish, which is mostly achieved by not overcooking, then what's the pedo with the paella?

Manuel:

I donīt want to be unfair. I only tasted their paella once and that was some time ago. When I tried it the paella was soggy and tasteless but that happens sometimes in any restaurant. Perhaps some other posters can provide their opinions. I was responding to Cristalhombreīs post criticizing his paella order and clarifying the fact that I never mentioned the paella as one of my recommended dishes. Thatīs just a matter of taste.

cristalhombre

Nov 27, 2009, 9:22 AM

Post #8 of 11 (7410 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Dawg for the timeline info re: eye surgery.

Lens replacement at the Casey Eye Institute - Portland (part of Oregon Health Science - Medical school - supposedly a TOP NOTCH joint) - the out of pocket prices are in the area of $4000 USD per eye.

I understand that there is a new replacement lens that will "flex" like the normal human lens, which would eliminate the need for 'antes de ojos"........ but that is real new and I would not want to be the ginuea pig for that. That lens is another $1200 for each eye - and NO guarantees - other than the lens can be removed and replaced.............but who pays for that?????

Several of my Seattle friends have headed to Canada for this type of surgery and saved a $1000 bucks an eye. Your fee in MX sounds reasonable.

Hound Dog

Nov 27, 2009, 10:21 AM

Post #9 of 11 (7406 views)

Shortcut

This ia amazing. Remember that I had special diagnostic problems regarding previous surgery that caused my original consultation cost to increase from a normal $500 Pesos to $2,000 Pesos so, without that extraneous issue, the total cost would have been about $1,350USD. Now, that is for one eye. Letīs presume that the cost of two eyes would have been about the equivalent of $2,500USD more or less in Zapopan. How much in Oregon? $8,000USD in some charnal house HMO?

I promise you this as one who lived in San Francisco for over three decades and often worked in the Portland and Seattle areas. Not only is the cost of cataract surgery a small fraction of what it would be up there but here you are treated with utmost respect by highly competent and respected physicians and not like some cow coming through the chute to be sliced up in accordance with some slimy insurance company rules. Medical care in Metropolitan Guadalajara is far superior to that you will receive up there at a fraction of the cost.

If you retire up there in that place corrupted by governmental, insurance company and medical institution rampant fraud depending on the false savior of Medicare, then you get what you deserve.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 27, 2009, 10:46 AM)

cristalhombre

Nov 27, 2009, 4:17 PM

Post #10 of 11 (7355 views)

Shortcut

My understanding of how these laser eye centers work is as follows. The "slice and dice" laser machines are leased by the professionals due to the excessive cost of the machine and the fact that a replacement device (which is likely bigger -badder -better - more expensive) you must know the rapid obsolescence cycle of technology now is down to something like - 11 months. That slice and dice machine will be OLD and possibly outdated before the year is over. The equipment maker charges a user FEE for each surgical procedure and that is part of the physicians charge - I have no idea what that is?? On top of that, the provider gets a % too, plus his/her professional fee.

In Canada, apparently due to cost controls and MORE logical approaches to health care in general, especially "wellness care" they can NOT charge the EXCESSIVE lease fee for the machinery. This is why the procedure is 25-30% cheaper if you drive two hours north of Seattle into BC. Quite a few BC eye clinics advertise in the Seattle papers for this.

Dawg.......You've been SOB toooooooooo long now. You would NOT believe the charges here in the USA for health care now.

Example: About every six months I need to have a medical professional check skin for some 50 letter-latin-word that means "pre-cancerous lesions". Normally, I go to our local clinic here in Vancouver, WA and get my "spots and moles" frozen with liquid nitrogen, on top of my balding head (twice each year). Good care, somewhat rushed - but damn spendy! This past June, I had my dermo-treatment with a PA (physician's assistant) she does a thorough job of 'zapping' 15 small spots in less than 15 minutes and the charges were $418 USD (I know she looked at something under the microscope, right there in the exam room....... "ca-ching$$" and that fee was on the bill too).............. Now shift to Mexico..........when I am in Ajijic, I will call ahead and get an appt with Dr Teresa Ballesteros (think I spelled that correctly??) at the Maskaras Clinic. Wonderful woman dermotologist - GREAT DOC by the way!!! I have been going to her for 5 years when visiting Lakeside. Teresa spends a good 30 minutes - probably more and she NO DOUBT provides a more comprehensive exam with her little eye piece and flashlight that seeks out 'nasty' skin cells below the sub-something (top layer of skin) on my head, neck, chest, back........fee $68 dollars (it used to be $35) She's also insistent on explaining what to look for as these lesions change shape, size and color. She pulls out textbooks, pictures there are charts on the wall that demonstrate the likely changes. It is a great educational seminar on staying "WELL" and as a patient I feel as if I have received MUCH better care in Mexico.

I have the same appreciation for Dr Haro, the dentist too. Excellent care......... 1/3 the price or less. A dental cleaning and exam for $225 USD at home and $45 USD in Riberas. PLUS..... Dr Haro puts a micro-camera in your mouth and shows you any trouble spots as you look overhead on the monitor, explaining the situation in excellent English. Que bueno.

I get your POINT totally!! The professional care I have rec'd in MX is outstanding.

Yes I will retire here and live in both countries - various times of the year. (at least that is my plan..... I am not fond of the NW wet grey-shit winters - BUT love summer here). I will plan to have the medical maintenance care provided while I am in MX, whenever that is possible.

The other thing to consider...........you probably are not aware of this Dawg, as you have been SOUTH for so long......a typical medical deductible here in the USA has risen 5 - 10X for the average person. My Blue-Cross(medical) + United Concordia (dental) coverage DEDUCTIBLE (medical and dental) - family of three, is $8,000 dollars a year. YUP!! the first 8-G's comes right out of my pocket, before Blue-Cross or United C kicks in 5 cents. Gone are the days of $20 dollar co-pays etc. This is the NEW paradigm for health care here in the states and that is assuming you can get it and afford it. Many can not. I will clarify that this policy I have does make my premium less than $500 each month, and we are all quite healthy. But just 5 years ago I paid the same monthly premium and dedeductible was about $250 per individual. Big changes. And MORE likely to come quickly.

Clearly in my mind, health care costs will likely be the cause of most personal bancruptcies and could very well be the single issue that torpedos the US economy in the next 15 years. Just look at the obesity stats..........amazing. This topic WILL BE a train wreck no matter how it plays out in Washington DC.

Sorry I have NO hope on this one, but at least I will be able to see that speeding train coming at me with 'clear vision'......after the eyes are tweaked. Hopefully this won't be a paella experience!

Hound Dog

Nov 27, 2009, 5:29 PM

Post #11 of 11 (7340 views)

Shortcut

My understanding of how these laser eye centers work is as follows. The "slice and dice" laser machines are leased by the professionals due to the excessive cost of the machine and the fact that a replacement device (which is likely bigger -badder -better - more expensive) you must know the rapid obsolescence cycle of technology now is down to something like - 11 months. That slice and dice machine will be OLD and possibly outdated before the year is over.

Thatīs good point, CH. Remember that Dawg went to a traditional clinic and received traditional "ultrasound" cataract removal treatment rather than seek treatment from some of the clinics advertising the ultimate "laser" technologiy. Dawg very deliberately chose old fashioned, professional treatment by highly competent professionals over fancy new machinery and at this point does not regret that decision.

As it happens, Dawg was in the equipment leasing businessfor a few years and I will tell you that these clowns leasing that incredibly expensive equipment at exhorbitant interest rates are, in the final analysis, only interested in generating sufficient cash flow to pay for those incredibly costly machines and the interest incurred to carry the loans necessary to pay for them. They will skewer your guts if that is what it takes to make that monthly lease payment because - no machine, no business. I kid you not.

Since I am on that subject. What do you think all those physicians and dentists who speak such good English and come to Lakeside weekly are doing here? Is it altruism or opportunism? You like a doctor or dentist who speaks good English and drives down here from the city periodically to take care of your ass? Thatīs good because you are helping with those lease paymants.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 27, 2009, 8:10 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4