Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

frito

Nov 26, 2009, 7:34 PM

Post #1 of 8 (9042 views)

Shortcut

Ciudad Victoria Retirement

Can't Post | Private Reply
Anyone have opinions on living there? Read a blog post of an American couple living comfortably there on less than $800 a month. He likes being able to run up to McAllen for VA medical. I lived in McAllen in '92-'94. It has 2 Barnes & Nobles now which is attractive and downright amazing based on memories of the area. Being able to get to an airport with Southwest service and having Dish Network work without dealing with extra equipment would be nice. And could maintain an American mailbox too. Any other cities that are nice enough and offer the same kind of advantages? I understand Saltillo is pretty nice but may be too expensive for me. And I've read good things about a town called Parras. But C.Victoria has a couple of multiplex theaters, seems like a good place for a retiree to hang out. Thanks for any info on any place within about 5 or 6 hrs of the border that you feel would be worth investigating.

(This post was edited by frito on Nov 26, 2009, 8:04 PM)

frito

Nov 29, 2009, 5:53 PM

Post #2 of 8 (8973 views)

Shortcut

Re: [frito] Ciudad Victoria Retirement

I'm guessing Ciudad Victoria isn't considered the "real" Mexico? Or if you move to Mexico you must go all in, not have umbilical cords like RV parks or proximity to the U.S.? I'm a Philistine I guess. But hey, if folks can come to the U.S. to find work, only seems fair that poor guys like me can head south to have a better retirement. And while you are enjoying your novelas I'll be watching Dish satellite. To each his own!

RickS

Nov 29, 2009, 6:25 PM

Post #3 of 8 (8966 views)

Shortcut

frito, I suspect that the lack of response to your question about living in Cuidad Victoria in retirement has more to do with not many folks here having any experience there and less to do with any thought about Victoria not being the 'real' Mexico. And as far as I'm concerned one can keep as many umbilical cords as they wish for what ever reasons they wish if that is their desire.

Good luck in your retirement wherever you end up!

frito

Nov 29, 2009, 7:47 PM

Post #4 of 8 (8955 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Ciudad Victoria Retirement

You're right Rick, just a little frustrated. If I can't find the info here, leaves limited choices. Guess I'll just have to take a week's vacation and go have a look. Thanks.

Papirex

Nov 29, 2009, 8:53 PM

Post #5 of 8 (8941 views)

Shortcut

I have only been to Ciudad Victoria a couple of times several years ago so I don't have any detailed information about that area. It seemed like a nice city and area in our brief visits. We do have some nieces and nephews that live there. We spent a couple of nights as house guests there. It was in early January and it was warm, I don't know what the weather is like there in the summer, but without any actual experience I believe the climate is moderate.

We drove there from Brownsville, Texas in one day easily the second time, the first trip we drove right past Ciudad Victoria and all the way into México City in one day, it is do-able from Brownsville . One of our nieces there has a business and she makes a buying trip up to Texas about every six months so it is close enough to Texas to be convenient.

A few months ago my wife and her mother drove up there to attend a quinceañero for a great niece. Our niece invited them to go up to Texas on her next buying trip. My wife declined and drove home alone, I don't think she had her passport with her. Her mother stayed and went to Texas and bought some electronics up there, she was gone about a month.

I don't know any details about the year around climate in C. Victoria, but it is in a convenient location if a person wants, or needs, to make frequent trips NOB.

Going to C. Victoria for visit to get first hand information is a good idea. Don't hesitate to ask many questions. I have no idea if English is commonly spoken there, bring an English-Spanish dictionary with you.

Good luck, Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

frito

Nov 30, 2009, 1:07 PM

Post #6 of 8 (8911 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Ciudad Victoria Retirement

Thanks Rex! That's a major concern, is it easy to get to and from the border quickly. By the time I move there my parents will be near 80. I'd like to be able to run up to Harlingen and grab a Southwest flight to Florida as quickly as possible if needed.

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Dec 1, 2009, 11:50 AM

Post #7 of 8 (8851 views)

Shortcut

¡Mi estimado amigo, Don Frito!
As said earlier, a lot of us living here in Mexico just haven't been to Ciudad Victoria. Probably the last time I was there was in the late 70's to drive through the mountains to get to Xalapa, supposedly to avoid the "terrible" pot holed costal roads just to find blind curved pot holed nearly vertical ones. As you can expect we never drove back that way again(we also had a wonderful "waystop" in Tuxpan with an aunt, so that made a lot of difference, too).
Whatever you decide, Don Frito, you can't go wrong living there for a month or so to see if it really works for you, especially if you are considering long term. Hopefully Cd. Victoria will be as good for you as to Rolly who found his just right place.
¡Cuidese mucho, y suerte!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

frito

Dec 1, 2009, 6:14 PM

Post #8 of 8 (8825 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Ciudad Victoria Retirement

Thanks Roy. Saw an excellent Youtube video last night of a driving tour of C.Victoria. Anyone researching places to live should check out Youtube if you haven't already. Some are very grainy, some videos are very professional.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4