Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Geos

Nov 5, 2009, 6:53 PM

Post #1 of 15 (8435 views)

Shortcut

US vs. Mexican culture

| Private Reply
A great essay on the maniacal American consumption culture vs. the Mexican manana culture.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/...JoeProduceOrDie.html

"It may be my bias, or my imagination, or my distaste for toil, but from here America looks like one big workhouse, "under God, indivisible, with time off to shit, shower and shop." A country whose citizens have been reduced to "human assets" of a vast and relentless economic machine, moving human parts oiled by commodities and kept in motion by the edict, "produce or die." Where employment and a job dominates all other aspects of life, and the loss of which spells the loss of everything."

(This post was edited by Rolly on Nov 5, 2009, 6:55 PM)

ken_in_dfw

Nov 5, 2009, 7:37 PM

Post #2 of 15 (8402 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Geos] US vs. Mexican culture

|
Read that yesterday, courtesy of fellow Mexconnecter RichMX, through his excellent blog, The Mex Files. The deadly accurate insights belong to one Joe Bageant, who, since he has migrated from Belize across the Yucatan to Lake Chapala, I am more convinced than ever, is the Dawg's long lost twin brother.

I strongly recommend Bageant's book, Deer Hunting with Jesus, for a vivid dissection of U.S. working class (aka in the South, "redneck") history and culture.

And like Bageant, I find the contrasting optics between the US' "produce or die" imperative and México’s carpe diem culture to be very illuminating.

sakfogel

Nov 11, 2009, 12:00 PM

Post #3 of 15 (8194 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] US vs. Mexican culture

| Private Reply
Read the full blog entry, read your statements.
And I'll add my own.
There are times I long to return to the US. Ten years down here, and one gets worn out, the lack of certain niceties: NPR, libraries, bookstores, well paved roads.
Then I hear an osprey call, or two frigate birds fight over a fish, and I remember why I left, and why I came to Baja Sur.

Can someone live in the US and stay out of the corpacracy?

I did it. I owned my own mortgage company, I helped the square pegs( same sex couples, minorities, single women) of Silicon Valley society buy homes, and did it fairly and honestly.
Am I completely happy and satisfied here? No? Would I be completely happy and satisfied back there? No.

High quality affordable medical care, and the low cost of medicines are enough to keep me here. Add to that friends who invite us to all of their family events. The main street of town runs along a white sand beach. It is rare to need a sweater here. Fresh fish delivered to my door. And I remember why I left and came to Baja Sur.

In ten years very few of our old Silicon Valley friends made it down here, they were always too busy. Now they have the time, but not the money.
Susan Fogel
On the beach in La Paz
Author of Margarita Mind Series of Books about Mexico
Book #1 now available: www.MargaritaMind.com

Zarcero

Nov 23, 2009, 6:42 AM

Post #4 of 15 (7628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sakfogel] US vs. Mexican culture

| Private Reply

I did it. I owned my own mortgage company, I helped the square pegs( same sex couples, minorities, single women) of Silicon Valley society buy homes, and did it fairly and honestly.

Yeah, I would like to see what the default rate was on some of those loans. Most of that feel good type of loaning is what contributed to the economic collapse over here. Thanks!

(This post was edited by Zarcero on Nov 23, 2009, 6:43 AM)

RickS

Nov 23, 2009, 8:41 AM

Post #5 of 15 (7590 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zarcero] US vs. Mexican culture

| Private Reply
Man, that's a leap.....

Zarcero

Nov 23, 2009, 12:54 PM

Post #6 of 15 (7536 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] US vs. Mexican culture

| Private Reply
I don't think it's as much as a leap as "heroic" self-proclamation. Ya think?

Hound Dog

Nov 23, 2009, 3:00 PM

Post #7 of 15 (7503 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sakfogel writes: I did it. I owned my own mortgage company, I helped the square pegs( same sex couples, minorities, single women) of Silicon Valley society buy homes, and did it fairly and honestly. Zarcero responds:

Zarcero responds:

Yeah, I would like to see what the default rate was on some of those loans. Most of that feel good type of loaning is what contributed to the economic collapse over here. Thanks!

Dawg spent the better part of his adult life as a banker and/or a bank regulator primarily in the San Francisco Bay Area including time as a lender to the wine industry for Silicon Valley Bank and I will tell you this without equivocation. It was not "single sex couple, minorities or single women" that nearly brought down the U.S. economy but irresponsible politicians and regulators and moronic and self-dealing insiders such as Hank Paulson and Ben Bernanke and the criminally negligent Alan Greenspan and many others who hold complete responsibility their incompetent actions over many years. What disgusts me most of all is that these puntbrains will retire from public life as wealthy achievers when they are the self-serving foxes who raided and decimated the hen house. Blaming this recent and still on-going financial debacle on Sakfogel´s constituency is the height of blindness. Get serious.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 23, 2009, 3:02 PM)

BajaGringo

Nov 23, 2009, 6:32 PM

Post #8 of 15 (7447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] US vs. Mexican culture

| Private Reply
Very well said. I would probably add a few more names onto your list but we are obviously on the same page...

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

Zarcero

Nov 23, 2009, 7:07 PM

Post #9 of 15 (7434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] US vs. Mexican culture

| Private Reply

Dawg spent the better part of his adult life as a banker and/or a bank regulator primarily in the San Francisco Bay Area including time as a lender to the wine industry for Silicon Valley Bank and I will tell you this without equivocation. It was not "single sex couple, minorities or single women" that nearly brought down the U.S. economy but irresponsible politicians and regulators and moronic and self-dealing insiders such as Hank Paulson and Ben Bernanke and the criminally negligent Alan Greenspan and many others who hold complete responsibility their incompetent actions over many years. What disgusts me most of all is that these puntbrains will retire from public life as wealthy achievers when they are the self-serving foxes who raided and decimated the hen house. Blaming this recent and still on-going financial debacle on Sakfogel´s constituency is the height of blindness. Get serious.

Do you always talk about yourself in the 3rd person?

Yeah, well banker dude (and your buddy who chimed in) then you were part of the problem too. Don't forget to throw Barney Frank and Chris Dodd into the mix, as well and the do-gooders at Freddie and Fannie. Everyone has a feel good excuse, or blame the other party in this disaster. Fact is this, y'all promoted bad debt so y'all could take your friggin' bonuses up front. But it's not really a political issue, it's a cultural issue. A love affair of debt, and a love affair of getting a bonus for selling debt. Doesn't matter whether at the Hank Paulson level or the boiler room level dude pushing the mortgages for all those "disadvantaged" types. Too bad y'all are taking so many others down the toilet swirl with you now. And let's not forget people taking out loans that they should never have even been seeking. The US has a negative savings rate yet wants to spend money it doesn't have, and get rich at the same time. Comprende amigo?

(This post was edited by Zarcero on Nov 23, 2009, 7:11 PM)

Zarcero

Nov 23, 2009, 7:16 PM

Post #10 of 15 (7425 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

A country whose citizens have been reduced to "human assets" of a vast and relentless economic machine, moving human parts oiled by commodities and kept in motion by the edict, "produce or die." Where employment and a job dominates all other aspects of life, and the loss of which spells the loss of everything.

Yeah that's about right. That's why a bank considers a deposit saver as "liability" but a person who is in debt via loans as an "asset". They want you on the hook. Oh, but we have a banker and real estate broker here implying that they wore a white hat through all this. LMAO!

Peter

Nov 24, 2009, 6:17 AM

Post #11 of 15 (7371 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I bought two houses over the years with the intention of never selling but retiring in them, but some things change. I sold the first in the 90's and upgraded when things were climbing on the coast but inland was still a bargain. However, in 2006 I sold the other just after the market had peaked, took early retiremtment with a buy-out bonus to leave the workforce in my early fifties and now live here in Mexico.

I saw the way things were moving and decided to get out. I guess that makes me about as guilty as anyone in this mess. I decided to bail when I could. I wasn't the captain and had no desire to go down with the ship. Fault me for seeing the iceberg and boarding the lifeboat before the crowd.

Zarcero

Nov 24, 2009, 6:44 AM

Post #12 of 15 (7357 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] US vs. Mexican culture

| Private Reply

I saw the way things were moving and decided to get out. I guess that makes me about as guilty as anyone in this mess.

The hell it does! That makes you a smart mofo! Those of us who saved through this mess, have no debt, etc., were made fun of and told we were "unsophisticated" and didn't understand advanced concepts like "leverage" and "making your money work for you" and other such nonsense from the likes of Suzie Orman all the way to Hank Paulson.

Now I am the one who is laughing at the paparazzi that followed these criminals.

Gringal

Nov 24, 2009, 7:19 AM

Post #13 of 15 (7332 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Amen, and me too. As our acquaintances were tooling around Orange Co., CA in their Beemers and living in mini-mansions, we were the unsophisticated fools. Those Beemers are in the junkyard; the houses are upside down on the mortgage and we're living the good life in the Mexican sun.

I only wonder, as I watch the credit cards being passed out at Walmart, whether my Mexican neighbors are falling into the same traps that caught so many NOB.

Geos

Nov 24, 2009, 7:56 AM

Post #14 of 15 (7321 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
And don't forget to throw in the TRILLION tax payer dollars funneled into the pockets of well connected military contractors by the Bush/Cheney crime syndicate for the atrocities in Iraq & Afghanistan. Imagine if that money was used here rebuilding our infrastructure and for alternative energy instead of over there killing people & destroying things. And without the deregulation orgy started by Ronnie Raygun and continued by Bush, Clinton, Bush and aided & abetted by Phil (the recession is all in your head) & Wendy Gramm & the other corporate wh@res, house prices would not have inflated out of control and this would be just a garden variety recession like the S&L crisis in the 80s. The rich, via their various propaganda ministries like F#X "News" always look to demonize the "disadvantaged" and the disempowered for their own crimes against humanity. Blame blacks, gays, pimps & hookers while the real pimps & hookers get away with murder.

Rolly

Nov 24, 2009, 8:09 AM

Post #15 of 15 (7309 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This thread started out as what should have been an interesting discussion of cultures, but it has devolved into USA politics. Time for the lock. Please feel free to start the conversation again without the politics.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Nov 24, 2009, 8:10 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4