Sorry, Rick. I was being insincere.

Dawg

TigerTonio

Nov 17, 2009, 7:34 AM

Post #28 of 31 (2875 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Huatulco to Oaxaca City Road Trip

Can't Post | Private Reply
Vichil, I apologize for taking some time to respond but I am very appreciative of your response and the abundance of information about this area. Fascinating! It's on my "to do" list!

NinaNina

Nov 22, 2009, 5:07 PM

Post #29 of 31 (2790 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] Huatulco to Oaxaca City Road Trip

Hola, Tigre!

I just wanted to add to the already excellent advice in this thread. We just got back from a weekend trip from Oaxaca City to Juchitan. The drive was a breeze compared to the jerky, curvy drive to Puerto Escondido. We went to the November 21st Muxe vela celebrating The Authentic, Intrepid Seekers of Danger. It's a crowning of a Muxe queen and a huge dance show and party with live music, attended by many men in the traditional women's regalia from the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, as well as many men in nightclubbing wear.

I enjoyed the vela, but I truly loved the Saturday morning Catholic mass (the first I've ever attended) which had many cross-dressers in attendance. They brought beautiful traditional religious flags and banners that I often see at processionals. These banners differed in that the muxes had painted them with vivid images of men in drag, or representations of a person half man and half woman.

There were two other velas the same evening, and I know there are more throughout the year.

Enjoy your adventures!

wendy devlin

Nov 22, 2009, 5:31 PM

Post #30 of 31 (2780 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NinaNina] Huatulco to Oaxaca City Road Trip

Nina,

Now that's one vela/mass would love to attend!

Travelwriter, Isabell Tree has a most memorable chapter of her stay in Juchitan in her third book, Sliced Iguana: Travels in Mexico, published in 2001. She travels from Mexico City with her artist amiga whose hometown is Juchitan. While staying with family, they attend a neighbourhood basketball game, for the 'muxe' league. A great time being had by all.

jeanneatlixco

Nov 28, 2009, 11:36 AM

Post #31 of 31 (2707 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vanessa] Huatulco to Oaxaca City Road Trip

My husband is from a small village in the hills about an hour and a half from Huatulco. (dirt road). We have returned to Oaxaca on both routes, the one from Pochutla and the other from the Salina Cruz etc. The first is greener and more scenic contrasts. You can stop at San Jose Pacifica at about the top of the mountain range. We spend the night a hotel and froze (Christmas vacation time). Even some people from Switzerland complained. The restaurant is ok. We bought some hand -knit hats, scarves, gloves etc. from people sellng outside the hotel on the main road. They live in San Sebastian. At Candalaria ( about 40 minutes into the trip you can find some very delicious fresho coconut. After the mountain the trip is easy and boring.

The other route is through dry mountains with open curves on the road. At one point you can see deep into a cañon a sblue river with banana trees etc. The route evenutally gets close to Oaxaca into Mescal country with hills and hilss full of the mescal cactus-. We brought our lunch.

The think the first route is faster. Have traveled both by bus and my stomach appreciated the sharper curves more.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4