Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Manuel Dexterity

Nov 22, 2009, 7:15 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3945 views)

Shortcut

Desayuno

Can't Post | Private Reply
We live within easy driving distance of the colonia Santa Tere here in Guadalajara which is very convenient. The area has many shops of different types and a very nice mercado.

So this morning my darling wife had me run over to the market to pick up a couple of things for this morning's desayuno. Several bolillos salados (a sourdough roll with a hard crust and moist center) and then a liter of fresh beet, carrot and orange juice from "Las Titas" fruit and juice stall.

Back at the house, the bolillos were turned into molletes gratinados. The rolls were cut in half lengthwise and lightly toasted, then each half recieved a layer of refried black beans and topped with grated queso chihuahua, the real stuff made by the Mennonites. Then they were placed under the broiler to melt the cheese and served with a topping of avocado slices and salsa fresca made with extra chile serrano.

Just the thing for this brisk Sunday morning.

tashby

Nov 22, 2009, 11:28 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3922 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Desayuno

bolillos salados (a sourdough roll with a hard crust and moist center)

Thank you! I've been accidentally buying these from a vendor at the Tianguis in Ajijic. The first time was a surprise when I got home....."This is sourdough"..... now I know how to ask for them. Thanks for the translation.

I got sick of sourdough when it was all the rage in California and elsewhere (?) during the '80s.....but it sure tastes good now.

esperanza

Nov 22, 2009, 1:32 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Desayuno

The bolillo salado is also the traditional bread for genuine Guadalajara tortas ahogadas. If your torta ahogada is made with any other kind of bolillo, it's good--but it's not the real deal.

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/...lajara-sandwich.html

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Manuel Dexterity

Nov 22, 2009, 2:45 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3893 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Desayuno

Besides their different flavor, bolillos or birotes or teleras just don't work well for tortas ahogadas. They turn to mush when drowned with the sauce. The crunchyness of the salados crust holds up well.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4