Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Lina

Nov 20, 2009, 4:12 PM

Post #1 of 6 (7485 views)

Shortcut

DSL / Cable / Wireless connection in Morelia, Michocan

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

I am planning to return to Morelia for good in December. I am trying to get more than 1 MBPS internet connection since I have a Vonage and Skype connection in USA and would like to use them there in Morelia.. Looks like telecable is one service provider of Cable + Internet. However telecable's closest actual optical cable / fiber is around 1 Kilometer from my house. The customer support on phone is telling the house is far from their fiber/cable. The help I need from this forum who seem to be really giving sound advise are

- Can I ask them to lay a seperate cable of 1 KM for me. So what is needed Cable, repeaters and approximate price
- Any alternate cable / DSL service providers in Morelia
- Can I try any wireless service provider but since I will have a Vonage need atleast 1MBPS or 2 MBPS cable connection. IS there a wireless service provider in Morelia.

All your guidance and help is highly appreciated to get a cable / DSL connection. I live close to La Aldia Industrial Estate in Morelia.

Regards
Lina

Papirex

Nov 20, 2009, 6:13 PM

Post #2 of 6 (7468 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lina] DSL / Cable / Wireless connection in Morelia, Michocan

Lina, the information you have for Vonage is erroneous. The download speed is irrelevant. The upload speed is the only thing that is important, and it must be at least 90 MPS. If necessary, it may be configured down to 60 MPS with Vonages software with sometimes a slight loss of voice quality. I had to do that for a couple of weeks here in Cuernavaca when we first got Vonage service a few years ago. After our local cable service got their act together and our upload speeds were above 90 again, I reset the upload speed to 90 again. There was no apparent loss of voice quality at the lower speed.

I use the local cable company, Cablemas, for our TV and high speed Internet service, of 2000 MPS download and 256 MPS upload speeds. The cost is only $320 Pesos in addition to the regular TV service cost. I usually test those speeds every morning and I usually get between 1,850 to 1,950 download and between 150 to 235 upload speeds.

Just this week I experienced very low speeds for two days, of only about 1,300 download and 40 to 45 upload speeds. My brother-in-law in Tacoma, Washington called us a couple of times each day as is his habit, and everything sounded fine even at those low speeds.

I also have Skype out in my laptop to make outgoing calls when we are traveling, and I have never had a problem with it, no matter where we were.

I don't believe you will have any speed problems using any VOIP telephone service in México.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by Papirex on Nov 20, 2009, 6:17 PM)

RickS

Nov 20, 2009, 6:13 PM

Post #3 of 6 (7466 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lina] DSL / Cable / Wireless connection in Morelia, Michocan

Someone there in Morelia will answer your direct questions, but..... you don't need anywhere close to 1-2 Mbps in order to have a well functioning VOIP connection such as Vonage or Skype. One can have a good connection with as little as 128kbps up/down as long as it is consistently that speed (which will be doubtful) and that it can provide, in addition to the speed, a good QOS (Quality of Service) rating. I'll bet that you will hear that a good DSL service will be available to you from Telmex.

You probably won't need it anyway, but don't depend on getting anyone to 'lay a separate 1km of fiber cable' just for you.... and one couldn't afford it even it they would, IMHO.

RickS

Nov 20, 2009, 6:24 PM

Post #4 of 6 (7464 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] DSL / Cable / Wireless connection in Morelia, Michocan

"The download speed is irrelevant."

Well it is, of course, relevant but I think what you are saying is that you won't have to worry about it, as download speeds are always high enough.... it just that sometimes the upload speed is either not enough or not consistently 'as advertised'. Most providers say their speed is 'up to' something.... up to 256kbps; but of course "10" is "up to" 256. ;>)

I suspect that your speeds are 2000kbps and 256kbps respectively.

Papirex

Nov 20, 2009, 7:49 PM

Post #5 of 6 (7454 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] DSL / Cable / Wireless connection in Morelia, Michocan

Your right Rick, my speeds are 2000KBPS and 256 KBPS not mbps, I guess my mind was taking a nap when I wrote my first post. And you're right, it is “up to” and we are dreaming if we expect to get exactly the speeds that are advertised.

When we first moved to Cuernavaca there was no high speed Internet available, dial up was all we had. When we first had high speed Internet available here it was cable only, Telmex did not have DSL available here yet.

The only speeds available at that time were 128 KBPS download and upload. After a few months, 512 Download was offered for an additional $30 Pesos per month, Upload remained at 128 KBPS. I opted for it, and about 6 months later we received a free upgrade to 1000 KBPS download and 256 KBPS upload speeds. Another 6 months later we got another free upgrade to 1500 KBPS download, upload speed remained at 256. Another six months and we got another freebie to 2000 KBPS download and uploads remained at 256.

Some people complain that high speed Internet speeds are too slow in México, but I am as happy as a puppy dog with two tails with what we have here now.

Cablemas is 99.9% reliable now.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Lina

Nov 30, 2009, 1:43 PM

Post #6 of 6 (7398 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] DSL / Cable / Wireless connection in Morelia, Michocan

Hello All,

Thanks a lot for the timely technical feedback. It is so great to know that Vonage and Skype works satisfactorily.

Now my partner is trying different offices of Telmex to run the physical cable top my home. Hope we will be able to get the cable. Else I will be trying to find a Wireless Internet service else have to rent a place as office near to the Telmex actual physical cable.

But really, thanks for the wonderful technical feedback about the internet connection status.

Cheers

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4