Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Silence820

Nov 20, 2009, 1:05 AM

Post #1 of 7 (6313 views)

Shortcut

~~~> Customs advice needed

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am moving to Mexico City and would like to know how much I can bring through customs. i have I will be flying and would like to bring 5-6 large suit cases of clothes and personal items, along with 2 laptops. i checked with the airline and will pay the extra charges for my luggage. but Is this too much to bring through customs, and what will happen if i want to bring my 2nd laptop?
~~The Right Path, Is Your Own Path~~

(This post was edited by Silence820 on Nov 20, 2009, 9:37 AM)

Rolly

Nov 20, 2009, 8:48 AM

Post #2 of 7 (6275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Silence820] ~~~> Customs advice needed

Customs is not going to care, but it is highly unlikely your airline will allow that much baggage. You should ask them about your plans.

Rolly Pirate

Peter

Nov 20, 2009, 2:47 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6228 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Silence820] ~~~> Customs advice needed

There is a list somewhere of what all is acceptable for the traveler coming into Mexico. One laptop is permitted, so if you're travelling alone the second laptop is questionable and could raise questions. Clothing and household are all acceptable but if they are brand new and in original packaging, again questionable. There is a limit on tobacco products and similar items that may be brought.

Mostly what they do not want is people bringing in items for resale, any questions they have about what you are bringing may probably be resolved by explaining all is your personal items for your use only.

Excess baggage usually costs much more in Mexico than in the US but if you are flying out of the US it will probably be reasonably 'reasonable.' I brought many items that way many times flying out of Tijuana into deeper Mexico, it can be costly but was worth it to me. I never had a problem with what I was bringing, my whole house one flight at a time.

Is someone travelling with you that can claim ownership of your second laptop, just in case?

Rolly

Nov 20, 2009, 3:27 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6221 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] ~~~> Customs advice needed

She can bring two laptops, but the second one may incur a customs charge. I would bet aduana will ignore it.

Rolly Pirate

Peter

Nov 21, 2009, 7:28 AM

Post #5 of 7 (6167 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] ~~~> Customs advice needed

In Reply To
She can bring two laptops, but the second one may incur a customs charge. I would bet aduana will ignore it.

Thanks Rolly, that's what I meant, one laptop without question, the other, maybe. I've never been bothered by customs by the things I've brought, but if travelling with another person perhaps it's best they each claim one. But my own experience says you're right, probably aduana will ignore it.

anothermexcan

Dec 5, 2009, 8:30 AM

Post #6 of 7 (5960 views)

Shortcut

I have travelled across the border many many times with 2 laptops...at least 3 times a year, sometimes by car and other times by plane and have never had an issue...perhaps I have been lucky. On one occasion, I also brought a new desktop with me along with my 2 laptops.

Marlene

Dec 14, 2009, 2:50 PM

Post #7 of 7 (5838 views)

Shortcut

I'm a little late weighing in on this thread, but I wanted to add that I have known a couple of people who have had computers confiscated at the border for not declaring them. It's not worth taking that chance.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4