Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

prmjcm

Nov 14, 2009, 11:24 AM

Post #1 of 21 (7123 views)

Shortcut

USPS Priority mail flat/ rate packages

Can't Post | Private Reply
Here is my question, if I were to buy books from amazon and have them sent to a friend in the united states could he then send them to me via flat/rate package, if so would there be any taxes or customs charges for the package and what is the cost and weight limit on USPS priority flat/rate package, also would it be the same for clothing or shoes? Thanks for any help,

Pat Moore

geri

Nov 14, 2009, 11:41 AM

Post #2 of 21 (7107 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prmjcm] USPS Priority mail flat/ rate packages

I recently mailed a box of books to myself from N.H. to Oaxaca, using M bag which, I believe, is the cheapest way. It's for printed material only. Having said that, it's more expensive than years gone by when they shipped by boat (took maybe six weeks). Now it is all by air. My box cost $65 for what used to cost $30. However, it was VERY heavy. I don't know if the flat rate goes to Mexico but a friend sent me some night wear from Florida to N.H. and the postage for the lightweight box was $27 so the flat weight they advertised isn't cheap, in my opinion.

Re M-bag...it gets here in from 5 to 10 days. The six weeks didn't bother me, but that rate is no longer.

La Isla

Nov 14, 2009, 11:48 AM

Post #3 of 21 (7106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] USPS Priority mail flat/ rate packages

I think that the M-bag is on its way out, at least it is at the post office in the Philly suburbs near my mother's house. When I went there to mail some books to myself back in March, I was told that M-bags were no longer in use since everything is sent by airmail these days. I mailed about 50 pounds of books to myself in a couple of boxes for around $100.

Judy in Ags

Nov 14, 2009, 11:54 AM

Post #4 of 21 (7100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] USPS Priority mail flat/ rate packages

Was the official flat-rate box used? There is the $10 (also a cheaper, SMALLER one) flat rate box. When I was in the U.S. I used one and packed it full of some heavy stuff. If I had packed it in a regular box, it would have cost far more--at least that's the way I understand it. My granddaughter used those a lot to send toiletries, etc. to her hubbie in Iraq.

geri

Nov 14, 2009, 12:40 PM

Post #5 of 21 (7093 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] USPS Priority mail flat/ rate packages

Good point. Probably my friend used the wrong size box. It would have fit into a smaller one. I don't think M-bag is out, just the old "by sea" M-bag. The one now goes by air. Still it's cheap for books, which tend to be heavy. I don't know if flat rate goes to Mexico. Probably not. As someone wrote in another email, when you say you live in Mexico, folks automatically think New Mexico. At least in my case, without exception, if I don't know the person.

mazbook1

Nov 14, 2009, 2:51 PM

Post #6 of 21 (7066 views)

Shortcut

Especially from Amazon it is best to have your book order shipped to a friend/relative, then put into the USPS International Priority Mail envelope or the small box (both are $10.95 to México) and even if you need to use two, it's still cheaper than the big box ($25.95 to México). The total cost will be very little more than if you had it shipped direct by Amazon and the 17% duty will not be charged. From Barnes & Noble, Powell's and others you don't need to go through this routine, as they ship by USPS in the first place, so there will be no 17% duty. Lately, Barnes & Noble has generally had as good as or even better prices than Amazon, so it's worthwhile checking them out. Unfortunately, their website isn't as user friendly as Amazon's and their search function isn't nearly so good, but I still try to check them before ordering from Amazon, so that I can avoid the re-shipping problem.

prmjcm

Nov 14, 2009, 3:15 PM

Post #7 of 21 (7054 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] USPS Priority mail flat/ rate packages

Mazbook thanks for the info, I checked barnes and nobel but I think it said you pay $5.99 for each booked shipped plus $9.99 for entire order now after this cost, is there still a tax or customs charge?? I take this to mean if I had 10 books sent the shipping would be about $70.00 for shipping. It seems having a friend ship them for 20-30 dollars would be a lot cheaper or am I missing something.

Pat Moore

mazbook1

Nov 14, 2009, 4:21 PM

Post #8 of 21 (7040 views)

Shortcut

There is NO Mexican tax or import duty (custom's charges) charged on any book shipment that originates in the U.S. or Canada. Amazon doesn't originate their ordinary mail shipments to México in the U.S. or Canada, so Aduana (customs) collects a 17% import duty.

As to what way is less expensive, sometimes you just have to play with the numbers. Amazon + 17% duty isn't the cheapest very often.

Just for my own information, I just took the time to see what a book that cost $17.96 on both Amazon and Barnes & Noble would cost me in postage (and custom's duty in the case of Amazon direct) here in Mazatlán. The total from Barnes & Noble, shipped direct to Mazatlán by USPS was $30.94 (incl. 12.98 shipping chg.). The total from Amazon shipped direct (delivered by Correos de México) was $30.99 (incl. shipping chg. of 9.98 and duty of 3.05), but it would have to be picked up at the post office in order to pay the custom's duty. The total if I had the book mailed to a friend in the U.S. who then put it in a USPS Int. Priority envelope or small box was $32.90 (incl. total shipping chgs. of 14.94. The Barnes & Noble shipment would probably get to me a day or so sooner than the Amazon direct shipment, and I might not have to go to the Post Office to get it which I definitely would have to do with the Amazon shipment.

It's pretty obvious that if one or the other had a significant discount on the book, it would make that supplier the one of choice for that particular book for those of us who live in México.

esperanza

Nov 14, 2009, 4:54 PM

Post #9 of 21 (7030 views)

Shortcut

Mazbook1, the law re duty on books was changed about 4 years ago, maybe more. It's not often enforced, but there's always the potential. I had to pay it once.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mazbook1

Nov 14, 2009, 5:17 PM

Post #10 of 21 (7021 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] USPS Priority mail flat/ rate packages

esperanza, No, I've been in the book business in México since 1997 and there has been no change of any kind in the NAFTA treaty since it went in effect in ¿1994?. Books originating in any NAFTA country are duty free when shipped to the other two NAFTA countries. ALWAYS! When shipped to México they are also tax free (no IVA on books) and when shipped to the U.S. they are also tax free, as the U.S. has such a mish-mash of local sales tax laws that no one can figure out how to collect it. Shipped to Canada they are duty free, but depending on the province, there might be a small sales tax.

All of the above is for shipments between the NAFTA countries ONLY. Unfortunately, when Amazon.com ships by ground, the shipping box return address is shown as Frankfort, Germany because Amazon uses the commercial arm of the German Post Office (DeutschPost) to ship international shipments. With absolutely NO external evidence on the box that it originated in a NAFTA country, Aduana gets to take their 17% cut…and they do!

You're right about the 4 years, though. That was just about the time that Amazon stopped using the U.S.Post Office for ground shipments and started using DeutschPost. I had a rather large outstanding order with Amazon at the time and sure enough, Aduana clipped me for 17% and Correos de México clipped me about $20 pesos or so "handling charge" for collecting the duty for Aduana. I was NOT a happy camper!

Now if you order from Amazon and specify one of the courier services (their default is DHL which is owned by DeutschPost) the shipment WILL be identified as originating in the U.S. and there will be no duty charged. But IMHO you would have to be in some sort of dire straits if you had to have DHL service for a BOOK! Those charges are really high.

johnv

Nov 14, 2009, 6:26 PM

Post #11 of 21 (7010 views)

Shortcut

You will be charged duties on packages shipped by Fedex, UPS, and DHL. You will not be charged duties on packages sent by USPS/Mexican Postal Service. This is my experience, without fail, on dozens of packages mailed from the USA to me in Mexico from 2002 to 2009. It seems that this fact is not a well known one on these forums, as the other day I was reading how some shirts were sent by USPS, and the recipient could not understand that there was no duty, and remarked how he believed that it would never happen again.

The most obvious example of the above was when I received a new LCD Flat Screen Television, made in China, valued at US$490, duty free by USPS/Mexican Postal Service.

In my most recent package I received a "gem", an uncut fire agate, valued at US$300, clearly labeled on the Customs Voucher, duty free, by USPS/Mexican Postal Service. The package also contained about US$250 worth of other items. All duty free.

I have never ever paid duties on USPS Priority Mail. I have also never been charged duties on items brought in by motor vehicle, or on airline flights. I really think some people attract duties.

Furthermore, aren't books duty free anyway? Whether you ship them by USPS, or by expedited delivery services (Fedex, UPS, DHL).

mazbook1

Nov 14, 2009, 6:38 PM

Post #12 of 21 (7008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] USPS Priority mail flat/ rate packages

I have to admit that I have only rarely been charged duty on anything coming in via USPS/Correos de México, but there have been instances where I was charged (never on books, as they are duty free from NAFTA countries).

But the same has been true of things I received by courier services, rarely charged duty on anything from the States, but definitely charged duty when they came from other countries.

Books are a special case and Amazon book shipments are an even more special case. I described that in my previous post.

Jerry@Ajijic

Nov 14, 2009, 8:35 PM

Post #13 of 21 (6988 views)

Shortcut

I have been charged duty by the Ajijic post office on some shipments from Powells (books).
For me the cheapest way to get used books is by ordering them in batches of over 50.00 USD from Powells. They then ship them free to Laredo. I have them addressed to me care of Sol Y Lona in Laredo. Sol Y Luna never charges more than 50% of the cost of items to bring them from the border and I believe they now charge much less for books. So by buying at least 50.00 total I will pay 3.98 for a used book, no duty, and no more than 2.00 to S Y L for a total cost of 5.98 which is cheaper than I could buy the book at Walmart in Laredo.

jerezano

Nov 15, 2009, 7:15 AM

Post #14 of 21 (6940 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

Somebody here asked if there was any import tax or other tax on books imported into Mex,co. The answer clearly is not CLEAR.

There is no duty charged on books imported from a NAFTA (Free trade agreement country-Us. Canada Mexico- someone has told us. No disagreement here.

There is, however, an IVA tax of 15%, soon to be 16%, on all books here in Mexico including imported books. Sometimes the Mexican post office system collects that tax, most often not. It all depends upon the mood and inclination of the collecting office. One never knows. From personal experience I have never been charged. However I know several other people who have been charged when they go to pick up their package and wonder why. This is the reason why.

Nobody I know has ever had books brought in by Fed Ex or other certified delivery system such as DHL. So I cannot speak about them at all.

jerezano.

jerezano

Nov 15, 2009, 7:18 AM

Post #15 of 21 (6938 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] USPS Priority mail flat/ rate packages

Hello Jerry,

I think you will find that what the Mex Postal system charged you on your package of books from Powells is the IVA(15%) which is charged on all books purchased in Mexico. No, it was NOT a duty or import tax.

As ever, jerezano..

Jerry@Ajijic

Nov 15, 2009, 10:01 AM

Post #16 of 21 (6899 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] USPS Priority mail flat/ rate packages

You could be right. All I know is that they charged me for something and wrote it down in a kind of "log" book, In glancing at their book I did notice that there were a number of entries from Powells but who knows. It could have been a special fund to pay for their pretty new uniforms.

mazbook1

Nov 15, 2009, 11:58 AM

Post #17 of 21 (6872 views)

Shortcut

jerezano, There is NO 15% IVA on books anywhere in México and it will NOT rise to 16% in January. I've had a bookstore in Mazatlán since 1997 and never had to pay one single peso of IVA to Hacienda and yes, I have a local L.C.P. do my tax reports. Nor have I PAID any IVA when buying books from Sanborns, Librería Crystal, or any other bookseller in México (and I DO get facturas from them all). IF you are being charged IVA when you buy a book ANYWHERE in México, you are being lied to and ripped off! There is no IVA on books, newspapers, magazines, maps and some other kinds of printed matter, as Hacienda (in adherence to the law) recognizes them as "educational materials". Also, anything that can legitimately called "art" has no IVA either, but that gets into a more subjective area.

jerry@Ajijic, It isn't your local Post Office that's charging you money, it's Aduana (Hacienda)—IF it is truly duty. IF your shipments from Powell's are books only, then you are being mis-charged—if it is truly duty. That logbook is kept for all foreign packages, as Correos de México treats them all as a sort of registered mail (and has you sign a receipt showing you picked it up), whether duty is owed or not, particularly the USPS International Priority Mail flat-rate envelopes and boxes.

IF it is duty that you are paying, they (the post office) will give you a copy of the official Aduana receipt showing just what was charged for which merchandise (and how it was calculated). If you are not being given a receipt, the person at the post office is taking advantage of your ignorance of the law. That certainly is NOT unheard of in México. I have received books from many sources in the U.S. over the last twelve years, and I have yet to be charged any duty except for ground shipments from Amazon.com that show the return address on the box as Frankfort, Germany. And I definitely get an Aduana receipt for that duty, otherwise I couldn't deduct it from my income tax (Mexican) as a cost of sales. Also, I am doing business as a persona fisicadba – so these shipments come to me personally, not to any business name.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Nov 15, 2009, 12:02 PM)

prmjcm

Nov 17, 2009, 9:29 AM

Post #18 of 21 (6759 views)

Shortcut

mazbook1, I don't know if you can help on this i tried to put a defult address with barnes and nobel and I live in San Francisco Del Rincón in Guanajuato and each time i enter the city it comes back with an error that says please enter city, I called barnes and nobel and they advised me to call the post office here to see if my address is correct, I have received many packages within mexico with this address and also fed-ex from the united states, but at this point I don't know what to do???

mazbook1

Nov 17, 2009, 5:16 PM

Post #19 of 21 (6721 views)

Shortcut

prmjcm, Please see the PM I sent you.

jerezano

Nov 18, 2009, 7:21 AM

Post #20 of 21 (6672 views)

Shortcut

Hello all,

I stand corrected. I have been convinced that there is NO IVA charged on book sales, although I have believed that for almost 8 years following the Fox regime.

Please disregard my previous posts on this subject.

Hasta luego. jerezano.

Starcradle

Nov 30, 2009, 8:51 AM

Post #21 of 21 (6518 views)

Shortcut

Speaking of USPS Priority Mail/Flat Rate boxes... Does anyone here have experience filling out customs PS Form 2976-A?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4