Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Lake

Jul 18, 2002, 2:47 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3041 views)

Shortcut

US Passport Expires while in Mexico

Can't Post |
I realize a passport is not required for a US citizen. But, let's say my passport expires within my 180 day tourist visa...Can I renew it by mail from Mexico? or through a Consulate? or can I obtain an extension before I leave US?<p>Anybody had this experience? Feel better with passport. Lake

mrchuck

Jul 18, 2002, 5:29 PM

Post #2 of 5 (3037 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Here is what you do... Go to the nearest US consolate. Fill out the application the Consulate Office will have, go down the street and get 3 photos for a passport taken, and attach to the Application. There is a standard renewal cost also. The Consolate Office will place your renewal application in the "overnight diplomatic pouch" that goes to Tijuana or Mexico City where it will be signed by the authorized official, and then sent back to the office where you are.. The time elapsed will be 1 week, max 2 weeks. Much quicker than if you apply the normal way in the USA. Hope this helps.....
Saludos,
mc

Dave

Jul 18, 2002, 8:36 PM

Post #3 of 5 (3036 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
:I got my passport renewed in ONE day at the consulate in Tijuana.<p>: Here is what you do... Go to the nearest US consolate. Fill out the application the Consulate Office will have, go down the street and get 3 photos for a passport taken, and attach to the Application. There is a standard renewal cost also. The Consolate Office will place your renewal application in the "overnight diplomatic pouch" that goes to Tijuana or Mexico City where it will be signed by the authorized official, and then sent back to the office where you are.. The time elapsed will be 1 week, max 2 weeks. Much quicker than if you apply the normal way in the USA. Hope this helps.....
: Saludos,
: mc<p>

John R

Jul 18, 2002, 9:24 PM

Post #4 of 5 (3036 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You can renew at the nearest consulate or embassy. But under new rules, it seems that passports issued abroad now must be replaced as soon as you go back home. (see below)

jennifer rose

Jul 18, 2002, 10:01 PM

Post #5 of 5 (3035 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You know, you don't have to wait until the expiration date of your passport before renewing it. If you've got the time before you depart for Mexico, why not go ahead and renew ahead of the rush?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4