Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Hound Dog

Nov 13, 2009, 6:09 AM

Post #1 of 15 (8081 views)

Shortcut

Fun Event in Chapala at the Yacht Club

Can't Post | Private Reply
We consider ourselves fortunate to host two special guests this weekend at Lakeside. Maria Estella and Guadalupe Hermosilla Escobar do beautiful iron work in San Cristóbal de Las Casas and will be in Chapala starting today through Sunday displaying their work at the Maestros del Arte fair at the Yacht Club and their work is excellent. In fact, it´s so good they have been banned from competition in Chiapas because every year their work was the run-away winner of any local competition they entered. The local event leaders felt their work was so good that if they continued to compete no one else would ever win if they enterd the competition. So they opened their own museum in San Cristñobal which you definitely should visit if you are ever down there. If you go to the fair you will see why if you visit their booth.

These folks did all the traditional iron work for the home we refurbished - rebuilt from a ruin, actually - in San Cristóbal´s historic center near the Santo Domingo Convent in the El Cerrillo barrio. To say we are pleased with their beautiful traditional iron work would be the understatement of the year.

The Maestros del Arte fair at the Yacht Club in Chapala starts at 10:00AM today (Friday, November 13) and runs, as I stated earlier, through Sunday. Many artisans from different parts of Mexico will be displaying their wares. Don´t miss this if you can help it and, by all means, stop by and have a look at the great work done by Maria Estella and Guadalupe. Great artisans and great people. It´s folks such as these, among other things, that attracted us to Chiapas in the first place.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 13, 2009, 6:13 AM)

esperanza

Nov 13, 2009, 8:31 AM

Post #2 of 15 (8046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Fun Event in Chapala at the Yacht Club

Please give both of these people my best regards! It's hard to believe that it's been nearly two years since your charming wife took Judy and me to their shop, but so it is. Tell Don Guadalupe that I keep the small piece I purchased from him in a place where I see it every day, and every day I think of both him and his wife.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

tashby

Nov 13, 2009, 2:15 PM

Post #3 of 15 (8007 views)

Shortcut

I was staring at one of their pieces for a good 15 minutes today! It was so exquisite. I knew I probably couldn't afford it, so I thanked them and walked away.

Then, of course, I went back about 30 minutes later. It was still there on display, but had been sold first thing this morning. (I was correct....I couldn't afford it anyway.) No matter, it was wonderful just to see it.

The whole show is fantastic. Some of the rebozos made me wish I was a woman. And some of the embroidery....and the pottery....and.....and....I'll probably go back on Sunday. The show is that good.

(This post was edited by tashby on Nov 13, 2009, 2:21 PM)

toddmc

Nov 13, 2009, 4:41 PM

Post #4 of 15 (7988 views)

Shortcut

Look out Yacht Club

The wife and I are on our way out of Patzcuaro, headed there first thing in the morning!

Todd

bournemouth

Nov 13, 2009, 6:51 PM

Post #5 of 15 (7963 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toddmc] Fun Event in Chapala at the Yacht Club

See you tomorrow Todd - there's still plenty of great things for you and yours to buy.

sparks

Nov 14, 2009, 8:35 AM

Post #6 of 15 (7907 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Fun Event in Chapala at the Yacht Club

Very cool stuff and worth the visit. Yesterday was my first

http://sparks-mexico.com/...-art-fair/index.html

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

Hound Dog

Nov 14, 2009, 8:56 AM

Post #7 of 15 (7900 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Fun Event in Chapala at the Yacht Club

The first day of this fair was a great success. So successful, in fact that the artisans staying with us had to have more inventory shipped up from Chiapas. These artisans from all over Mexico will be there all day today and tomorrow. This is not some cheesy fair for selling bric-a-brac. Both we and Esperanza assure you the work you see here is fabulous and much of it historic. Forgive me for repeating myself, but the house we refurbished from a ruin in Spanish Colonial style in the historic center of San Cristóbal de Las Casas is filled with the traditional iron work of Guadalupe and Maria Elena. We are endlessly pleased with their wonderful work.

lamur

Nov 14, 2009, 9:50 AM

Post #8 of 15 (7891 views)

Shortcut

Anyone get photos of the iron work?

sparks

Nov 14, 2009, 9:59 AM

Post #9 of 15 (7889 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lamur] Fun Event in Chapala at the Yacht Club

http://www.mexicoartshow.com/hermisillo.html

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

Hound Dog

Nov 14, 2009, 10:19 AM

Post #10 of 15 (7883 views)

Shortcut

Thank you for posting that Sparks.

I must say that, in addition to Guadalupe´s signature crosses he does many other things. For instance, he manufactured and installed hinges and doorknobs throughout our home in San Cristóbal and many other fabulous things in addition to the crosses that adorn our roof and interiors. These traditional Spanish/indigenous designs are incomparable and beautify our home down there beyond my ability to communicate in writing.

Don´t miss this show.

esperanza

Nov 14, 2009, 1:51 PM

Post #11 of 15 (7848 views)

Shortcut

More about Guadalupe Hermosillo and his wife:

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/...master-of-the-a.html

Gringal

Nov 14, 2009, 2:08 PM

Post #12 of 15 (7841 views)

Shortcut

Great pics, Sparks.
We just returned from the event with the devil in our bag. A papier mache devil we'll put in the details. Or maybe the hall. From Pedro and Lupita's booth near the exit/entrance.

This really is an outstanding event: The ceramics from several vendors are works of art; the weaving is as well. And what a setting!

All I can say is: there's one more day: GO.

Hound Dog

Nov 14, 2009, 2:23 PM

Post #13 of 15 (7836 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Fun Event in Chapala at the Yacht Club

More about Guadalupe Hermosillo and his wife:

Thank you very much for that Esperanza. Your article on MEXICO COOKS is most impressive.

Dawg

esperanza

Nov 14, 2009, 3:10 PM

Post #14 of 15 (7818 views)

Shortcut

Sr. Dog, if you can print the article and give it to them, I would be most grateful. They haven't seen it yet, as far as I know.

Hound Dog

Nov 14, 2009, 3:44 PM

Post #15 of 15 (7810 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Fun Event in Chapala at the Yacht Club

Sr. Dog, if you can print the article and give it to them, I would be most grateful. They haven't seen it yet, as far as I know.

Done.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4