Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

gpkgto

Nov 13, 2009, 8:24 AM

Post #1 of 19 (12968 views)

Shortcut

Charging for parking

Can't Post | Private Reply
All the major shopping centers in my city,Irapuato, and now at the main center, Plaza Mayor, in Leon are charging for parking. One allows mechants to provide free time to shoppers, but most don't. I really resent this. They don't even claim they are doing this for security reasons.

Is this happening everywhere in Mexico? In the US and Canada?

esperanza

Nov 13, 2009, 8:39 AM

Post #2 of 19 (12949 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Charging for parking

It's absolutely true in Guadalajara, and has been for years. All the shopping malls (including lowly Plaza México) charge for parking; the last time I parked in Plaza México, it cost 3 pesos. Most other more upscale malls charge by the hour. Even the Wal-Mart parking lot near the Rafael Sanzio Costco charges.

Here in Morelia, I've been watching the remodel of a low-end mall not far from my house. It looks to me like they are setting up the entrances for ticket dispensers and the exits for parking payment. In addition, the city's highest-end mall, Plaza Américas, charges by the hour for parking. So does Plaza Morelia, a little further east on Av. Camelinas.

You're not alone!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Manuel Dexterity

Nov 13, 2009, 11:04 AM

Post #3 of 19 (12914 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Charging for parking

The Costco/Mega parking lot on R. Sanzio is still free as is parking at the new Costco on L. Mateos.

The cashiers at Sam's on R. Sanzio will stamp your parking slip so it will cost nothing for parking at Sam's and Walmart there.

But even the smaller plazas like Plaza Mèxico or Terranova are now charging.

Hound Dog

Nov 13, 2009, 12:35 PM

Post #4 of 19 (12884 views)

Shortcut

There cannot be any serious person on the planet who objects to charging for parking unless they have a warped mind. Sometime about 2003 I got cheap and was on my way to Hospital del Carmen in Guadalajara and parked in the street rather that pay the ten pesos or so it would have cost me to park in the adjacent secure Plaza Mexico pay parking lot. I was in Del Carmon for maybe twenty minutes. When I returned to my car both rear view mirrors were gone professionlly sliced off with the utmost ease. Cost me some $12,000 Pesos to replace them.

Get your priorities straight.

gpkgto

Nov 13, 2009, 12:50 PM

Post #5 of 19 (12879 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Charging for parking

I don't object to charging as long as the merchants "validate" the ticket for customers who make purchases. Parking is not a service for me--it is mostly a conveience for the store owners in order to give their customers a secure place to park. I still object--on principle.

Manuel Dexterity

Nov 13, 2009, 12:57 PM

Post #6 of 19 (12878 views)

Shortcut

Hell mutt, I lost the mirrors on our minivan in the Plaza del Sol parking lot. Right in front of the Soriana. And they charge by the hour.

sakfogel

Nov 13, 2009, 1:43 PM

Post #7 of 19 (12866 views)

Shortcut

Here in La Paz parking is free most everywhere, at the malls, in town and on the street. There are private pay lots in centro because as in any town center street parking is at a premium.
My favorite lot in town gives me special treatment, they come to the entrance with my ticket, I hop out, they park it, wash it, and then bring it out when I am ready to go.
At Christmas, they wave away folks they don't know so that there is paced for their regulars. totally worth the 15 pesos per hour.
Susan Fogel
On the beach in La Paz
Author of Margarita Mind Series of Books about Mexico
Book #1 now available: www.MargaritaMind.com

Hound Dog

Nov 13, 2009, 3:29 PM

Post #8 of 19 (12835 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sakfogel] Charging for parking

Here is how this is handled in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas, a city of about 130,000 people in the highlands of that state. There is only one big box store in town and that is a Chedraui. When you pull into that parking lot there are always some guys offering to place crushed cardboard boxes onto your windshield to keep your supposedly locked car cooler while you shop and you can either accept or decline his offer but declining is foolish so you accept and when you leave the store you tip the guy a few pesos and he directs your departure and that is that. Never had a problem there.

gpkgto

Nov 13, 2009, 4:08 PM

Post #9 of 19 (12824 views)

Shortcut

Our parking lots here also have "attendants" who work for tips. I don't mind these guys--at least they are working. The stores sometimes have signs indicating they do not employ these people. They have never picked my pocket and are always very nice (to me). I have read that there is a local "mafia" that controls these guys, i.e. you must pay the mafia if you want this "job"--just like the street vendors in Mexico City or New York City. So far, the pay lots here do not have these attendants--so you have to load your own stuff in your car.

(This post was edited by gpkisner on Nov 13, 2009, 4:09 PM)

mazbook1

Nov 13, 2009, 4:37 PM

Post #10 of 19 (12812 views)

Shortcut

Up until about 2000, Sam's lot here in Mazatlán was free, even though it was fenced. The various forums (one or two at that time) were constantly inundated with reports of stolen spare tires, mirrors and even vehicles. Sam's then gated the lot and charged one peso. Unbelievably, the theft problem came to a total stop. Of course now it has gone up from that one peso to two pesos and now three pesos, but the theft problem has never returned. Three pesos is cheap for peace of mind.

richmx2

Nov 13, 2009, 7:24 PM

Post #11 of 19 (12769 views)

Shortcut

This is hardly unique to Mexico... most urban communities around the planet have been working for years to wean people from the private automobiles. I don't see comparisons to the United States and Canada as particularly useful, since Mexican planners generally take their cues from France, Germany and the rest of Latin America.

Anyway... good to see unproductive land at least returning something of a profit.

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

sakfogel

Nov 14, 2009, 3:28 AM

Post #12 of 19 (12729 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Charging for parking

Rich! You are so right! Shopping centers and big box stores are a blight, but sometimes necessary evils, their parking lots are necessary, but charging a small fee means they can be maintained.
I once had two gift shops in a Colorado tourist town. On ski weekends the line outside of city hall ( the only public bathroom not in a shop or restaurant) wound around the block.
Local merchants would pass out toilet paper to every 20th person.
Owners of honking big RVs would park along the main shopping streets blocking daylight and the view of the store fronts.
I had the idea of buying an empty lot, installing paid parking, pay toilets, trash cans, picnic tables and pretty plants.
some of the towns people objected to having people pay for those services.

So the town hall continued to be the toilet ( and it was a one holer in a historic building with cranky plumbing), the RVs continued to block the streets and no one was happy.
People came to the town because it was quaint , then they complained that they could not enjoy the cute store fronts because they could not see them! And they had to walk too far from the edge of town.
Cars are a blight, but also necessary, and so parking lots need to be built.

Frankly, paying for parking so I can save time searching for a place to put the car, have it washed, and have a well lit, clean place to leave it is worth a few pesos.
When we were in France we went to a big Marche, there was not one single shopping cart loose in the lot. We like to be helpful and take a cart from the lot.
When we saw a rack of carts, we gladly grabbed one. But they were all locked up! In order to get a cart one had to pay 2 Euros.
My husband refused to pay for a cart.
I went in the store to shop, he came in later with a cart. He was all smiles: Your money was returned when you returned the cart!
So the parking was free, but the carts had a deposit. The lots was clean, there were no wandering carts, and most likely less dented cars! Paying a small fee for certain conveniences is worth it.
And parking lots can be dangerous places in any country, cars get vandalized, stolen, people are abducted from parking lost...in the US!
Susan Fogel
On the beach in La Paz
Author of Margarita Mind Series of Books about Mexico
Book #1 now available: www.MargaritaMind.com

roni_smith

Nov 15, 2009, 5:53 AM

Post #13 of 19 (12619 views)

Shortcut

I do not remember any formal charge for parking at the Mega or Walmart or other shopping places in Playa del Carmen, or at the Walmart on the Paseo de Montejo in Mérida, but I generally either walked there and took a taxi back or a friend drove (in Mérida)

In Mérida there are men who will help you park and unpark on city streets, waving their little usually red clothes with much delight and vigor and some degree of flourish. These performances should be paid for, and often are.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

(This post was edited by roni_smith on Nov 15, 2009, 5:53 AM)

Hound Dog

Nov 15, 2009, 9:32 AM

Post #14 of 19 (12583 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] Charging for parking

I do not remember any formal charge for parking at the Mega or Walmart or other shopping places in Playa del Carmen, or at the Walmart on the Paseo de Montejo in Mérida, but I generally either walked there and took a taxi back or a friend drove (in Mérida)

Good point roni. We long ago stopped driving to Chedraui, San Cristóbal´s only big box store since taxis in San Cristóbal are so comparatively cheap and ubiquitous. A taxi at any time of your choosing (except, perhaps, during downpours) for $18 Pesos a ride anywhere in the city. It is traditional to pay $20 Pesos which includes a tip for the driver and, as they are always helpful in loading and unloading one´s groceries, the tab for that service might call for another three pesos or so. We would never try this in Ajijic as shopping by taxi is expensive and impractical at Lakeside. The distance between my home in Ajijic and Chapala - about the same as the distance between my home in San Cristóbal and the local Chedraui - means a taxi tab of about $70 Pesos plus tip each way. So, $36 Pesos in San Cristóbal not including tip vs. $140 Pesos in Ajijic. Get serious.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 15, 2009, 9:33 AM)

Peter

Nov 15, 2009, 3:45 PM

Post #15 of 19 (12529 views)

Shortcut

I've been to Chapala/Ajijic a couple times though I don't recall where the store is located but $70 mx sounds about double the price as here in Morelia where the usual ride is about $25 and $35 will get you just about anywhere in the city more distant. The driver might ask for more and circumstances as traffic, distance, etc., may justify it but a cab ride is always negotiable with the aforementioned as a general guideline, and a very short ride costing less, making shopping by taxi relatively painless here.

Right now I am only aware of two higher-end shopping plazas that charge for parking, one has a super-sized Soriana though there are other Soriana stores located around the city, making that place less desireable for my shopping needs as there are many supermarkets here, Chedraui, Mega, Bodega Aurrera, Merza, Superama, Sam's, Wal-Mart, Costco, and others many of which have several locations in the city and none that charge for parking other than the aforementioned.

My compact SUV and I make make frequent excursions to several of these markets as no one place has all the items I regularly buy. Costco is the only place that I am aware of that carries Bisquik, cans of Hormel chili in Superama and also is a good source for asparagus and Italian sausage. Sam's Club has canned cranberry sauce since fresh berries are something I have not yet found and they also have a reasonably-priced store-brand knockoff of Taster's Choice instant coffee as well as the higher priced name brand. I could go on with a list of gringo food items I can certainly live without but will buy them because I can but it requires shopping around different stores.

I go to the cinema in the pay-parking mall from time to time. Although your parking is discounted when you validate at a store you are shopping at I don't think a ticket to the cinema buys you free parking, that is one place I go where it is simply more convenient to grab the combi that passes down my street and takes me to that mall. 5 pesos for the combi and there are around 30 combi routes in Morelia with several more large buses that service the city and beyond. Each combi route covers a large area of town and takes about an hour to travel the entire route one-way, leaving no place in the city much more than two or three blocks from a combi of some stripe or color. They inter-weave so much there are likely few destinations that could not be reached for 10 pesos or less. I frequently use the combi instead of driving if my day's outing is casual, and return by taxi if I become heavily-laden with some extra-curricular shopping.

My car now is about three-years-old and has less than 11k miles to give you the idea how much I drive, and much of that is for my longer excursions out to the coast, tierra caliente, or the occasional trip out to Pátzcuaro and neighboring communities like the serene little German restaurant along lakeside of Lago de Pátzcuaro near Erongarícuaro. Though it's possible to make that trip by bus and combi I have not done so. Large buses leave out of Morelia to Pátzcuaro or Quiroga every ten minutes from 5am to 8pm for under 30 pesos, less frequent outside those hours. Public transportation is better developed here than any place I know of in my native California.

Everyone's experience of Mexico is different and much depends on where you live. It probably is a good thing that many people start out around Chapala, SMA, or some of the beach-resort gringo havens before they venture off to find their personal piece of paradise after they have become more experienced and Mexicanized, if they ever do. I think that works better for all of us that way. It costs much more to live in those ex-pat havens but that is perhaps how it should be also, pay for the education, it is better learned that way. Even in the most anglicized Gringo Gulch one can take one look around and understate the stark realization that we ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Papirex

Nov 15, 2009, 7:46 PM

Post #16 of 19 (12486 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Charging for parking

About half of the businesses here in Cuernavaca have paid parking. I think it depends a lot on the location of the business. If a business with a parking lot is near a lot of other businesses with no parking lots, if they didn't charge for parking, their lots would be filled with the cars of the workers from the nearby businesses, probably before they opened, and there would be no parking spots for their own customers.

About half of the businesses here in Cuernavaca have free parking. It is usually a nominal charge at the lots that do levy a parking fee. About 3 years ago we had free parking everywhere in the city for about a year. It was determined that there was no law allowing anyone to charge for parking here. It was prohibited to charge for parking here until laws could be written and adopted to again enable charging for parking legally.

Parking fees were reduced at some locations. Sams' Club used to charge 2 Pesos for 2 hours of parking. They now charge 2 Pesos for one hour of parking, but if you have your parking ticket stamped when you make a purchase, the first hour is free. We are only charged for parking there on about every 5th visit. I know that sometimes we have been there over 2 hours and we have not had to pay for parking.

You may take a cab anywhere in Cuernavaca for a flat rate fare of $20 Pesos, except at Sams' Club or Wal-Mart. They have taxi stands with posted rates to every colonia in the city. You will pay 2 or 3 times more than the standard fare if you catch a cab at either of those stores. I don't know if there is one of those taxi stands at the Wal-Mart in Juitepec. Juitepec is practically a part of Cuernavaca. You drive through an intersection and you have just changed towns, If you don't live here, you would never know you just left Cuernavaca.

I have, on two occasions gone to town via a taxi and returned home via a different taxi for a total of $40 Pesos. A taxi driver is never tipped in México unless some extra service is rendered, carrying luggage or packages into your house, etc. It seemed unnatural not to tip every cab driver for just doing his job for me at first, now it would seem unnatural to tip them for just doing their job unless they do some all out extra service for me.

Before we moved here permanently, I spent a lot of time in the megalopolis of México City, we never tipped cab drivers there. Those were in the days before the currency here collapsed and all cabs had meters in them. A lot of ex-pats have dragged the customs of their home country here with them. That is a huge mistake. Quit tipping taxi drivers and don't be ashamed to only tip 10% in a restaurant, nobody will be insulted, and you will not be considered a sap.

There is no doubt that the cost of living is much higher in an area with a lot of ex-pats concentrated there.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

rockydog85251

Nov 16, 2009, 3:45 PM

Post #17 of 19 (12403 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Charging for parking

Well, "progress" rears it's ugly head here in Mazatlan, yet again! There is a proposal here, approved or not, depending on who you believe - that they are going to put in solar powered parking meters in the centro of the city. They will be connected via WIFI to some magic place that will then alert the transito of an expired meter so they can come give the offender a ticket, of which the multa is planned to be $200 pesos!!!! They have already measured off and marked the spaces all over downtown. Not being said is what arrangement or consideration will be given those that reside in this area, which is greatly lacking in garages in the homes as well as commercial lots. Someone had commented in the paper that it would be illegal to charge for parking on a public street.

My question is.....are there many other places out there that already have parking meters or is this a great boondoggle for some meter manufacturing concern? We have never encountered meters in any city in Mexico.
Willie

La Isla

Nov 16, 2009, 4:25 PM

Post #18 of 19 (12395 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Charging for parking

Lots of parking meters in Mexico City. In fact, there's a row of them running down the little side street I live on. I don't pay much attention to things like this since I don't have a car, but students who drive to my place for lessons tell me that after 8 p.m. you don't have to put any more coins in the meters.

sioux4noff

Nov 20, 2009, 10:16 PM

Post #19 of 19 (11372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Charging for parking

Puerto Vallarta had a parking meter fiasco a few years ago. A contract (apparently) was made, the meters ordered and installed. Then (apparently) there was some big problem with the legality of the contract, parking meters went away and haven't been seen again.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4