Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mazbook1

Oct 21, 2011, 2:46 PM

Post #26 of 33 (6134 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] How to write your Mexican address…the Mexican way

Can't Post | Private Reply
I wouldn't trust how Telmex does your address as a guide, BOTH Telmex bills I receive have the address completely screwed up. The CR number is something new and I don't know how it is to be handled or what it is for. The average mail I get and send is done just as I outlined previously.

morgaine7

Oct 21, 2011, 5:23 PM

Post #27 of 33 (6108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] How to write your Mexican address…the Mexican way

Of course, the whole issue is moot if people revise our addresses to suit their own expectations. I just got a piece of mail the other day that was posted on August 10. The sender had put the CP after the city, omitted the state, and put Mexico on a separate line, so it read:
[name]
[street address]
[colonia]
Laa Paz (sic) 23020
Mexico
No doubt it would have arrived just fine, except that some helpful soul, probably in the sender's office, had handwritten "U.S.A" in big block letters under "Mexico".

Kate

mazbook1

Oct 21, 2011, 6:19 PM

Post #28 of 33 (6097 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] How to write your Mexican address…the Mexican way

Aaron+, Thanks for the new Correos de México bulletin. The ONLY difference between how I said the address was to be written and the new way is that the CP number, instead of being on the same line as, and coming after the colonia, has now migrated to the beginning of the next line before the municipio. It is still after the colonia and before the municipio, just on a different line than before.

Hound Dog's earlier example was close:

#(whatever) Independencia
CP 45920 Ajijic, Jalisco
MEXICO

which, under my older method would correctly have been:

calle(or whatever) Independencia #(whatever)
Ajijic C.P. 45920
Chapala, Jalisco
MEXICO

but should be, under these newer specifications :

calle (or whatever) Independencia #(whatever)
sindicatura Ajijic
CP 45920 Chapala Jalisco
MEXICO

Under my way, the CP would have been after Ajijic, but now they want it before Chapala. Ajijic, as a stand alone village in the municipio of Chapala is, I only learned recently, correctly identified as a sindicatura. NOT ALL stand alone villages are necessarily sindicaturas, but the large majority that are large enough to have gringo residents usually are.

I will extrapolate a bit and say that if someone lives in one of those tinier villages, their address would read:

calle (whatever) s/n (this line might even be optional if the village has no street names)

(type of place, i.e., pueblo, ranchería, sindicatura, rancho and possibly others, all of which are referred to as asentamientos in Spanish) (name)

CP (whatever) (municipio name) (state name) CR (whatever - if you feel it is necessary)
MÉXICO (IF the person sending you mail is outside the country.)

As far as that CR number goes, unless you receive a Telmex bill, or some other more-or-less official mail with it on it, I think it is pretty optional yet. Something like the 4 digit extension on U.S. Zip codes. I don't know how else you would discover what it is, since no one seems to know about it and the new regulation only mentions it, but it is just what Aaron+ describes it as in his post: "the C.R., the nearest local distribution office". And IF you want to use it, it would be just as he describes, right after the state name and on the same line. The way Telmex has it on their bills is NOT the recommended way.

One unusual thing they want in the new regulations is NO PUNCTUATION! In other words, contrary to NOB practice, no commas anywhere.

So now let's see what the Mexican Post Office says is the minimum information they want to see in your mailing address:

Line 1: Destinario - nombre(s) apellido paterno
Line 2: Vialidad - tipo(i.e., calle, etc.) nombre número exterior número interior(if applicable - the número exterior and the número interior should be separated by a hyphen.)
Line 3: Asentamiento - tipo (i.e., colonia, etc.***) nombre
Line 4: Codigo Postal - CP número municipio(or delegación in DF)** estado(or DF) CR número(if desired)
Line 5: País - MÉXICO(if necessary)

** IF you live in one of the not-so-common cities (only 25) in México where the city name is officially prefaced by Ciudad, e.g., Ciudad Juárez, Ciudad Obregón here in the north, you would use the whole name of the Ciudad in place of the municipio, which might be different. Often, cities in México will be commonly identified as Ciudad de (whatever), but that is just a social or common way of identifying them, not their official name. The true Ciudades are only the ones that have been awarded the title Ciudad by the state legislature or the federal congress, and Ciudad becomes an inseparable part of their official name, AND they are self-governing (although they may be a part of or even the seat of government of the municipio they are in). Ciudad del Carmen and Ciudad del Maíz are NOT official Ciudades. Ciudad de México is just a common name, as there is NO such political entity as Ciudad de México, only Distrito Federal or DF

*** Here is an expanded list of types of Asentamientos: colonia, barrio, fraccionamiento, fovisste, infonavit, unidad habitacional, pueblo, ranchería, sindicatura, rancho and possibly others, all of which are referred to as asentamientos in Spanish)

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Oct 21, 2011, 6:27 PM)

Aaron+

Oct 25, 2011, 11:15 AM

Post #29 of 33 (6010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] How to write your Mexican address…the Mexican way

Good job, Mazbook1!

Of course, despite best efforts, mailers from the USA, particularly magazines and insurance notices, mangle my well constructed Mexican address to fit their computer systems´ limitations on line length. I no longer put accents in my address for magazines, as Mérida seems to come out at MARIDA sometimes with an at sign thrown in. I get mail that includes my CP 97120 before Mérida (or MARIDA {sic}) but drops of the state. Some have even dropped the city, or rather, have used my Fracc. as a city, and placed the CP digits in the US zipcode position.

I believe I read that the Mexican post office is trying to go to electronic sorting, and the CR gets the mail to where it will have its final sorting. If so, they use rather unsophisticated software, as the software should be able to convert the CP to the proper CR without having to have every sender modify their mailing procedures. Oh well, let us just be happy when mail does arrive.

More curiously is the mail I get from the US bearing only the so-called forever stamp rather than the current 80 cents for up to 1 oz rate. Then again, some companies send me mail bearing the even higher rate (as for the Europe), so they overpay. I understand the USPS accepting mail with overpayments of postage, but am intrigued by their acceptance of underpayment, at least for the forever stamps.

mazbook1

Oct 25, 2011, 5:40 PM

Post #30 of 33 (5975 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] How to write your Mexican address…the Mexican way

Thanks, Aaron+,

I know what you mean about the computer programs that U.S. (and some Mexican!!) companies use to capture and reproduce a properly written Mexican mailing address. Except for proper placement of the CP, I've mostly figured out how to trick them into getting mine NEARLY correct. Believe it or not, Telmex is the worst offender!

The worst U.S. offenders are the ones that ask your country, but then only list the U.S. states and possessions (a required field!). I've just given up on them. If I wanted something (even a reply) from them, there's no possible way they could mail it to me in México.

Haven't run into the stamp thing, as all my ordinary mail in the U.S. goes to my legal address there, then gets sorted, junk mail and catalogs discarded, and the rest put in a U.S.P.S. International Priority Mail envelope (about $11 USD, up to 4 lbs.) and sent on to periodically.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Oct 25, 2011, 5:42 PM)

sanjuan

Oct 30, 2011, 10:52 AM

Post #31 of 33 (5874 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] How to write your Mexican address…the Mexican way

Yes, it is interesting that Telmex (the largest bulk mailer in Mexico) uses the international positioning for the postal code rather than the one suggested above and my bill actually arrives before it is due (except for once).

In Reply To
My Telmex bill came this morning.

my name
street address
Lerdo, DGO, DG
C.P. 35150-CR-35151

(This post was edited by sanjuan on Oct 30, 2011, 10:56 AM)

whynotwrite

Oct 30, 2011, 11:06 AM

Post #32 of 33 (5860 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sanjuan] How to write your Mexican address…the Mexican way

This entire post reminds me of Happy Hour in my part of (Old) Mexico. We can blame it on the wine and beer. It is pretty funny to read, assuming everyone who posted is more or less sober.

mazbook1

Oct 31, 2011, 5:46 PM

Post #33 of 33 (5802 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sanjuan] How to write your Mexican address…the Mexican way

sanjuan, That wasn't MY suggestion as to how to correctly write the address, it was the official Mexican Post Office instructions. Besides that, Telmex not only ignored those official instructions for the placement of the CP - CR, they left out the required: Line 3: Asentamiento - tipo (i.e., colonia, etc.***) nombre. This is something they also did on Rolly's bill.

In my latest Telmex bill at my house, they got the asentamiento correct, but added a bogus, unnecessary line between the street address and the asentamiento with the two "entre" streets, Campeche y Sinaloa, a type of addressing not used in my colonia or any other in the Mazatlán urban area. They also did much the same on my business telephone bill, but really messed it up on the two lines they put after my street address, which had the name of the centro commercial that I'm in, the "local" number, the fraccionamiento name and one of the cross streets all jumbled up together in no particular sensible order. I've been trying to get this corrected for years, but haven't made any headway.

That's why I say Telmex is by far the worst to trust for getting your correct mailing address.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4