Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Starcradle

Nov 11, 2009, 7:21 AM

Post #1 of 48 (6297 views)

Shortcut

Shipping Items

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am in the process of shipping a number of personal belongings to Mexico.

Has anyone here used Priority Mail/Flat Rate shipping boxes in order to accomplish this? If so, what were your experiences? I continually read nightmarish tales of boxes being torn open/damaged and items being stolen.

Any information and/or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Rolly

Nov 11, 2009, 7:34 AM

Post #2 of 48 (6282 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Starcradle] Shipping Items

My sister sent me some shirts via priority mail from Dallas. The package arrived in one week, unopened, and without a customs charge. I don't expect that to happen ever again.

Rolly Pirate

gpkgto

Nov 11, 2009, 7:47 AM

Post #3 of 48 (6274 views)

Shortcut

I'va had good and bad experiences with the Mexican post office. No problems with letters, but packages that have arrived have always been beaten up at the least. Others have never shown up. Don't send anything you cannot bear to lose.

La Isla

Nov 11, 2009, 8:21 AM

Post #4 of 48 (6257 views)

Shortcut

A few months ago I sent myself a big heavy box of books from the States, and it arrived in about 10 days. While the box was a bit banged-up, the contents hadn't been disturbed and were in good condition. Maybe books aren't a temptation to potential "rateros" working for Correos!

Starcradle

Nov 11, 2009, 1:45 PM

Post #5 of 48 (6210 views)

Shortcut

Shipping Items

My intention was to ship books, an exceedingly modest collection of DVDs, and a moderate amount of CDs that have been discarded of their casings and replaced with very unimpressive, paper-constructed coverings.

I suppose shipping jewelry is not advisable?

(This post was edited by Starcradle on Nov 11, 2009, 1:47 PM)

La Isla

Nov 11, 2009, 2:37 PM

Post #6 of 48 (6196 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
My intention was to ship books, an exceedingly modest collection of DVDs, and a moderate amount of CDs that have been discarded of their casings and replaced with very unimpressive, paper-constructed coverings.

I suppose shipping jewelry is not advisable?

Ship jewelry, I think not! The safest way to bring jewelry into the country is to pack it in a carry-on piece of luggage. As far as your DVDs and CDs are concerned, pack them with your books and label the box "libros". Even if books aren't a temptation, DVDs and CDs certainly would be.

Maritsa

Nov 11, 2009, 3:01 PM

Post #7 of 48 (6189 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Shipping Items

I just sent a box Priority mail yesterday to Mexico. The USPS does not allow jewelry to be shipped. And the box must weigh under 44 lbs if going to Mexico. I am sending about 100 CD's and DVD's tomorrow and hope they will arrive safely.

mazbook1

Nov 11, 2009, 4:36 PM

Post #8 of 48 (6164 views)

Shortcut

I have had lots and lots of stuff sent to me here in Mazatlán via the USPS International Priorty Mail flat-rate charge envelopes and boxes over the last 12 years. Slowly the service once the package arrives in México (seldom more than two days) has improved from 3 weeks to about 10-12 days. I have never had a shipment lost, but Aduana has opened probably 60% of them. NOTHING was ever stolen from one of the opened packages. Some packages came looking pretty beat up, but nothing inside was ever damaged.

I find that I get VERY good service from Correos de México when the shipper religously follows my instructions for writing my address exactly in the Mexican style. If they don't, I can expect several additional days of delay.

Rolly

Nov 11, 2009, 7:11 PM

Post #9 of 48 (6130 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Shipping Items

Dave, please give us an example of how the post office expects the address to be presented.

Rolly Pirate

Starcradle

Nov 12, 2009, 7:39 AM

Post #10 of 48 (6094 views)

Shortcut

I have read that it is best to take jewelry in carry-on luggage as well. However, will this pose a problem if the amount is significant?

I fear that the CDs (protected only by sealed paper coverings) might be damaged if I send them with my books, some of which are rather heavy. If they opened the box, the CDs/DVDs would be visible--especially as my book collection is rather modest.

I very much appreciate all of your input!

La Isla

Nov 12, 2009, 8:03 AM

Post #11 of 48 (6079 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I have read that it is best to take jewelry in carry-on luggage as well. However, will this pose a problem if the amount is significant?

I fear that the CDs (protected only by sealed paper coverings) might be damaged if I send them with my books, some of which are rather heavy. If they opened the box, the CDs/DVDs would be visible--especially as my book collection is rather modest.

I very much appreciate all of your input!

Re your jewelry, you could put some of it in the luggage you'll check through at the arport. I've done that, and nothing untoward happened. Mind you, I don't have extremely valuable jewelry, so if your collection runs to gold and rubies and diamonds (!) you'd best carry those items with you.

You could pack some of your CDs and DVDs with your clothes, if you're concerned that they might get crushed by your books.

For me, the worst part of moving is packing, and the worst part of packing is deciding what to take and what to leave behind.

¡Buena suerte!

Starcradle

Nov 12, 2009, 10:04 AM

Post #12 of 48 (6048 views)

Shortcut

Re: Shipping Items

I read that packing jewelry in checked luggage is not advisable, although I certainly do not have diamonds, rubies, or anything of the sort in my possession. As this is the case, I shall probably do as you suggest.

I considered placing some CDs and DVDs among my clothing, yet I am limited in the number I can transport in this fashion and would nevertheless have to send most of them via mail. I must simply assume the risk, as I do not wish to leave them behind. I am ridding myself of 99% of my belongings in order to travel as light as possible.

chinagringo

Nov 12, 2009, 10:14 AM

Post #13 of 48 (6045 views)

Shortcut

Why not download CD's & DVD's to an external storage drive and then all of that info will be safe and sound?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Starcradle

Nov 12, 2009, 10:54 AM

Post #14 of 48 (6036 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Shipping Items

Pardon the ignorance, as I am not technologically inclined, yet are you referring to a flash drive, Neil? If so, I have considered this. However, there is no guarantee that we will have a computer in the imminent (or even distant) future. The expenses related to moving, marrying, and settling in are quite significant. Although we wish to purchase a computer, it is not on our list of priorities. It simply cannot be.

I likewise do not know how feasible it will be for me to get to a cyber cafe in order to burn over 80 compact discs and 18 DVDs. We will not have a vehicle--at least in the beginning--and we do not yet know in what area of the city we will be situated.

I confess that, amidst my inevitable culture shock and loneliness, I would like to have immediate access to the music I have enjoyed since childhood. I believe it would provide me with a bit of comfort as I struggle to assimilate. I will be spending the weekdays (including Saturdays) alone while my husband works. I spend most of my days alone now, yet I am within my comfort zone, in my own country, and with family members nearby. In Mexico, the situation will be entirely different. I will be dealing with a tumult of emotions and I would like something familiar--however minute--to help me through the transition period.

I apologize, as I certainly had no intention of rambling on like this!

chinagringo

Nov 12, 2009, 12:14 PM

Post #15 of 48 (6022 views)

Shortcut

Not to get all techie on you but I was referring to an external hard drive since I had assumed you would be traveling with a computer. Without such, my suggestion holds no water.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Starcradle

Nov 12, 2009, 12:22 PM

Post #16 of 48 (6021 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Shipping Items

I apologize for the ignorance, Neil. Thank you for the clarification and the initial suggestion, nevertheless.

La Isla

Nov 12, 2009, 3:19 PM

Post #17 of 48 (5993 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

I confess that, amidst my inevitable culture shock and loneliness, I would like to have immediate access to the music I have enjoyed since childhood. I believe it would provide me with a bit of comfort as I struggle to assimilate. I will be spending the weekdays (including Saturdays) alone while my husband works. I spend most of my days alone now, yet I am within my comfort zone, in my own country, and with family members nearby. In Mexico, the situation will be entirely different. I will be dealing with a tumult of emotions and I would like something familiar--however minute--to help me through the transition period.

It troubles me that you anticipate spending your weekdays alone while your husband is at work. This is a recipe for unhappiness, I fear, no matter how good a relationship you and he have. Even if you don't want to work, there may be possibilities of studying or doing volunteer work. And Mexico is a very sociable country, so you could be out and about in the neighborhood during the day, shopping and chatting with the neighbors or sipping a coffee at a sidewalk cafe. If you were coming to the D.F., I'd invite you over for coffee and a chat, but since that doesn't seem to be the case, feel free to write me c/o MexConnect!

Starcradle

Nov 12, 2009, 4:03 PM

Post #18 of 48 (5982 views)

Shortcut

La Isla,

Thank you for your kind words!

Since childhood, I have primarily been a loner--quite content spending time in my own company. Whereas many people are energized within groups, I become emotionally exhausted. However pleasant the individuals, I experience a sense of relief when I am able to retreat.

As an aside, I do not feel this regarding one-on-one interactions.

Despite the aforementioned, I anticipate that the initial transition period will engender feelings of loneliness and isolation that even I am not comfortable with. I realize that I need to get out and make acquaintances, at the very least. This will be a great challenge for me, as it is certainly not a natural inclination.

Is it true that volunteering in Mexico is an ordeal if you do not have the proper paperwork?

La Isla

Nov 12, 2009, 4:23 PM

Post #19 of 48 (5975 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
La Isla,

Since childhood, I have primarily been a loner--quite content spending time in my own company. Whereas many people are energized within groups, I become emotionally exhausted. However pleasant the individuals, I experience a sense of relief when I am able to retreat.

Despite the aforementioned, I anticipate that the initial transition period will engender feelings of loneliness and isolation that even I am not comfortable with. I realize that I need to get out and make acquaintances, at the very least. This will be a great challenge for me, as it is certainly not a natural inclination.

Is it true that volunteering in Mexico is an ordeal if you do not have the proper paperwork?

I understand about needing to spend lots of time by yourself. I've lived alone for most of my adult life and am happy with that arrangement, but perhaps I am a bit more outgoing than you are.

Yes, I think you'll find that living in a foreign country will take its toll on you, especially at first, till you construct a daily routine that will make you feel at home. Does your husband have family where you'll be living in Mexico? That would certainly fill up some of your time and keep you from feeling too isolated.

As far as volunteering is concerned, I´ve just done a little bit here, working as a volunteer guide in a museum when they need an English-speaking docent. No one has asked for paperwork, not even to see if I indeed did have an FM3 (which I do). They were just happy to have me working with them! I would imagine that churches might have some volunteer projects you could work on, but that's something you'll have to investigate on your own.

La Isla

robbers

Nov 12, 2009, 6:13 PM

Post #20 of 48 (5958 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
La Isla,

Yeah, I can relate to everything you describe. Including the part about being more comfortable with one-on-one interactions. So maybe there's a way to procure those types of relationships. Not living in Mexico, I don't have any specific recommendations, but perhaps some of the kind people on this forum will have some ideas.

(This post was edited by robbers on Nov 12, 2009, 6:16 PM)

mazbook1

Nov 12, 2009, 6:22 PM

Post #21 of 48 (5951 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Shipping Items

Rolly,

Re: How to write a Mexican address. I'll start a new topic on this with a lengthy example (with footnotes). Some folks in more gringo areas than I'm in pooh-pooh the need for this, but believe me, it works.

sakfogel

Nov 13, 2009, 9:17 AM

Post #22 of 48 (5900 views)

Shortcut

My daughter has been sending the priority mail boxes to me for over a year. She pays $25 US and anything she can fit in can go at that price.
We receive our magazines, CDs, and gifts with no problem.
Since I am in a semi rural area,she sends them to one or two friends in the center of La Paz. Last Christmas Mexpost actually left a voice mail for my friend asking her to leave a note and they would deliver the package the next day.
My son sends my new( unactivated) credit cards via FEDEX to a friend in town as well.
I use a friend with a business, so that the mail carrier knows where to go.
I have even received packages at my home.
And one year, our first year here, all of my friends sent Christmas cards. Some used US first class stamps others used foreign delivery postage. The first class for within the US stamped cards arrive faster.
If you are sending jewelry, or credit cards send them FEDEX and send them to a business address if you have someone that will receive mail for you.
So back td the point the priority mail boxes work very well. FEDEX is good for documents and other important items.
I have never paid any duty o these boxes.
Susan Fogel
On the beach in La Paz
Author of Margarita Mind Series of Books about Mexico
Book #1 now available: www.MargaritaMind.com

Starcradle

Nov 13, 2009, 1:59 PM

Post #23 of 48 (5880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sakfogel] Shipping Items

La Isla~ Both myself and my fiance have family members in Mexico, although the situation is a bit awkward due to reasons I cannot disclose. Therefore, I am not counting on any daytime visits from them.

Robbers~
Thank you for your comments!

Susan~ Thank you for your input! As with all other things, I am encountering conflicting information regarding this matter. However, I understand that we all speak based upon our own experiences. Some have had a terrible time with deliveries via USPS; others have not suffered any loss or damage of goods. Ultimately, there is an inherent risk involved that I simply cannot evade.

Any other suggestions/comments are more than welcome!

(This post was edited by Starcradle on Nov 13, 2009, 2:04 PM)

yucatandreamer

Nov 13, 2009, 2:37 PM

Post #24 of 48 (5867 views)

Shortcut

I know you said you were not having a computer and to me that is the one thing I would bring. First it allows you to store all that music and re-burn it on CDs here. You don't need an internet connection to make CDs or you could buy a pair of speakers and listen off of the computer.

It allows you to bank and keep in touch, read the paper, do a crossword, and a million other things. There is Skype for phone calls and email and instant messaging. Yes you can buy a laptop here, but It is cheaper and easier in the States and you get an English operating system and keyboard--you won't appreciate that until you spend fifteen minutes looking for a semi-colon. Using my daughters library membership I can access books, audio books,music and movies from the Toronto Library system(I have a book reader to read on but you can read on the computer) Here in the Yucatan there is free internet in the parks, Certain businesses have free internet as well. You wouldn't have to pay for a home connection and you can at least use your own machine in Internet cafes.

If I didn't have my computer and all the world that it opens to me I would have left Mexico long ago. I would have been lonely and I too am one of those folks who feels loneliest amongst people. Though I have some good friends here and enjoy their company I often find that the only thing I have in common with many expats is that we are expats--makes for a short conversation.

Starcradle

Nov 13, 2009, 9:02 PM

Post #25 of 48 (5824 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Shipping Items

I understand your viewpoint and agree in many respects. However, I simply cannot afford to purchase a laptop unless my situation radically changes within the next few months. I confess that I am rather worried at this point regarding whether or not I will have sufficient funds to move when the time arrives. I despise the thought of having to wait even longer to marry my fiance...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4