Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hound Dog

Nov 6, 2009, 9:24 AM

Post #26 of 50 (13231 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Mordidas

Can't Post | Private Reply
It can be risky challenging the "macho" of any Mexican--they go insane sometimes--with or without a gun!

A well made point gp. Even though road rage violence seems to be a less problematic issue here in Mexico than in the U.S., if the macho line is crossed it is hard to re-cross it to avoid an untimely death or, at the very least for us old goobers, the loss of a few teeth and a broken jaw. Also, one has to consider, if one is not a Mexican citizen, the ramifications of engaging in physical violence with a Mexican citizen even if unfairly precipitated by that citizen´s aggressive actions toward you, where the ultimate outcome is you lose even in the unlikely event you think you have prevailed physically.

I still remember an event that occurred on the carretera in Ajijic a few years ago when a young local man with his young wife and children in tow was tailgating obnoxiously (as I saw it) me as I intended to turn left into the PEMEX station there. As I slowed to turn he rudely blew his horn at me and made obscene gestures so, Dawg the idiot made an obscene gesture back to him and he followed me into the gas station where we both climbed out of our vehicles and the following conversation ensued (Dawg´s translation):

HIM: You f*****g pinche gringo a******s think you can come down here and take over our town? You´re not in the U.S. anymore; you are in Mexico and now I am going to have to kill you as you have insulted me in front of my wife and kids.
DAWG: (Hand extended in peace-brother mode) My apologies señor. Nothing personal intended. (Dawg is maybe a fool but not a total fool. That strapping young man could have wiped the parking lot with Dawg´s carcass in order to prove to his wife that he was a man and even if I am wrong about that and I should prevail in a physical contest, how do I explain pummeling a local fellow to the local authorities without being deported?)
HIM: Well, OK but do not do this again. (Reaches out and shakes Dawg´s earnestly extended hand and then re-enters his vam and off they go).

Dawg lives to see another day perhaps more humbly than he had greeted the day before.

Don´t think there is not irritation simmering below the surface. Things will become worse as more local people suffer financial distress. Don´t cross that often ill-defined "macho" line or do so at your peril.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 6, 2009, 9:25 AM)

Zorba

Nov 6, 2009, 12:29 PM

Post #27 of 50 (13193 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Mordidas

You did exactly the right thing (except for fingering him back). Nobody wins in physical confrontation and nobody knows who is or isn't packing heat. He might have just rolled down his window and fired not even bothering to stop.

Interesting what you say about future financial distress. In times of crisis minorities are always targets.

AmyLee

Nov 6, 2009, 12:32 PM

Post #28 of 50 (13189 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Mordidas

Maybe someone should tell my husband confronting the hot-head (with a gun) he should have not paid the mordida. He did nothing wrong but this guy was desperate, one could tell by his personal actions. This is the only time we’ve ever paid and we’ve been stopped plenty. Sometimes it’s about gut feeling. To me my husbands life was more important than a few dollars.

Zarcero

Nov 6, 2009, 1:50 PM

Post #29 of 50 (13166 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AmyLee] Mordidas

Why do some of my posts disappear? I mean right here on this thread.

richmx2

Nov 6, 2009, 2:12 PM

Post #30 of 50 (13159 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zarcero] Mordidas

Because you refuse to pay up, gringo.

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

jl1

Nov 6, 2009, 2:32 PM

Post #31 of 50 (13156 views)

Shortcut

For the past few years there have been "speed traps" in Puerto Vallarta, right near the airport exits on both sides of the road. I got caught in one about 8 years ago, before I bought my property in Sayulita and got my fm3. They have one of those portable radar signs that flash your speed. It's kind of funny during rush hours, because one cop stands in the roadbed furiously waiving drivers down--ALL DRIVERS. It's like shooting ducks in a barrel to them. A few weeks ago, when they waived me over, I just waived back and kept going. They just let me go. I've learned from some local Mexican friends that they do the same thing. there is no way they can catch everybody! BTW, I absolutely was not speeding, nor are most of the people who pull over and have to negotiate.

Rolly

Nov 6, 2009, 3:04 PM

Post #32 of 50 (13138 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zarcero] Mordidas

Mike, I think I see all your posts. What's missing?

Rolly Pirate

Graydon

Nov 7, 2009, 8:45 AM

Post #33 of 50 (13061 views)

Shortcut

Georgia...

Can you supply an internet link to the Mexician States "Rules of the Road"

Thanks...Graydon

La Isla

Nov 7, 2009, 1:22 PM

Post #34 of 50 (13027 views)

Shortcut

Reading through this thread I see that the question of whether to pay or not to pay usually comes up while driving down the road in one's vehicle. Since I don't have a car (nor a driver's license, for that matter), it has never happened to me and gives me yet another reason to be happy to be car-less in Mexico.

ken_in_dfw

Nov 7, 2009, 6:23 PM

Post #35 of 50 (12993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Mordidas

Can't Post |
I think the big lesson I take from this and other threads about vehicle importation permits is that it's really not worth it to bring a foreign-plated vehicle into México. (For relevance to this thread, it's the foreign license plates that attract ethically-challenged cops like bees to honey.) Everything about México screams, "keep your damned foreign vehicles outta here!"

On the other hand, I have noted that those with placas from states such as Jalisco, San Luís Potosí and Veracruz don't seem to have problems to the same degree.

So my big takeaway when I move south is to ditch the US-plated vehicle when moving and purchase something in México upon arrival. (Or, do as you, and decide that being the owner of a vehicle isn't necessary for my new lifestyle.)

TlxcalaClaudia

Nov 7, 2009, 6:48 PM

Post #36 of 50 (12986 views)

Shortcut

I'm still irked to this day for all the times we were pulled over for made-up offenses (this stopped as soon as we got Mexican plates and tossed the GA ones. Grrrr!). We were asked what we had on us in terms of the mordida...and 20 pesos wouldn't cut it. I wanted to go face someone but hubby would rather pay. (@#$%$) I think mostly to keep from me embarrassing him. But here is the kicker and don't anyone tell me foreign plates won't get you pulled over...every damn time we were pulled over... the offense was never life threatening nor serious enough to cause an accident. Once a leg of something (think it was the ironing board) in the back of the pick up truck was sticking up and so the police said we had to have the tags for transporters/cargo trucks. Every thing else was not viewable but the one leg was and he wanted $200 pesos (again, grrrrrr). I argued with him that technically he couldn't see even that unless he leaned over and he said, "too bad...I still see it." Made me want to hit something.

Another time I was pulled over for an incorrect tag...it wasn't incorrect and hubby kindly educated that policeman when he whipped out "The Book" and there in print were the words defending us and our tags!! Crooked. He let us go...then we got stopped again down the road for another made up offense. We paid...it was too clear the corruption against us and like Georiga says...they had the gun. One way or another they would get money out of us.

Ok, so I'm pissed and start talking to some people about it and instead of getting angry with me...they take bets if we'd get pulled over again while we had the GA plates. Clearly I was wasting time over being angry.

Mexican plates solved all and we were never stopped again the rest of the year there.

mazbook1

Nov 8, 2009, 12:47 PM

Post #37 of 50 (12911 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] Mordidas

Claudia,

What did it cost you to GET the Mexican plates? That's not an option for most expats, as either their car isn't eligible for importation or the cost, usually around $1,000 USD, makes it not cost effective.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Nov 8, 2009, 12:52 PM)

morgaine7

Nov 8, 2009, 1:45 PM

Post #38 of 50 (12896 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] Mordidas

Two years driving with Mexican plates, and I've never been stopped, let alone asked for mordida. The stories I read/hear nearly always involve drivers with foreign plates.

Kate

Georgia

Nov 8, 2009, 2:43 PM

Post #39 of 50 (12880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Graydon] Mordidas

Well, each state has different websites. Usually (with Jalisco, as an example) it's something like: www.jalisco.gob.mx Then you rummage around the site. Things to look for (they are different for each state's website) are "vialidad" and "reglas" or "reglamento" ... it takes a little knowledge of Spanish and a bit of patience. But it can be done .... a worthwhile task on a cold or rainy day.

gpkgto

Nov 8, 2009, 2:50 PM

Post #40 of 50 (12878 views)

Shortcut

Cities also have their own leyes de transito--might need to check state and city laws--especially large cities.

robt65

Nov 8, 2009, 2:58 PM

Post #41 of 50 (12878 views)

Shortcut

Hi All! I have a serious question if any one knows the answer. Just exactly what is the finwe for example for acidently running a red light in Tampico? or in Tamaulipus? Does any one know? I just got stopped and the transito and two others in his car said I ran the light. I know that I absolutely did not. I always stop at the flashing green light as I did this time. Others are honking and driving around me and I get pulled over. The guy trys to tell me that I ran the light. I having quilkly shoved my hearing aids in my ears told him my batteries were not working and I did not understand him. I know he told me as he wrote it that the ticket was going to be 4000 MX Pesos. He saw I was carrying two 500 MX pesos and one two hundred pesos bill. He also spotted the carton of Marloboros on my front seeat. I told him that I was on my way to the doctor for my wife who is pregnant and very ill. He asked me for the 1000 Pesos I told him no . . .lets go to the station . . . . . . he then lowered his take to 500 Pesos, I said no again and told him this was money for the medicine for my pregnant wife and I would not give it to him. He clearly wanted money so I gave him 200 pesos and then he thought it over and said ok and one package of smokes. I also gave him the smokes as well. Tomorrow, I am going to go to the Transito department in Tampico and complain that I have been stopped three times in three days at exactly the same place every time to pay the cops. I am taking my Mexican bilingual lawyer with me and speaking to the Director Transito, Tampico and see what his reaction will be. I have a good friend who is the director for the transito in the next town over to Tampico. I am going to telephone to him tonight to see if he will also give a call to his fellow director for me. I am not going to be stopped every day at this same spot by some filthy gordo transito officer, for the same reason . . . . . only to pay these bandits their mordidas, for the privlidge of wearing out the shocks and ball joints on my car. What do you think my chances are that I will be stopped again?

Robert

mazbook1

Nov 8, 2009, 3:26 PM

Post #42 of 50 (12870 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Mordidas

100%

chinagringo

Nov 8, 2009, 3:57 PM

Post #43 of 50 (12865 views)

Shortcut

I am curious as to how many of the drivers displaying NOB plates come from an area that only issues a rear plate? A couple of years ago, a former New Mexico resident, who now resides in MX suggested getting a front plate for our vehicle since NM only issues a rear plate. He had found that he was drawing attention because of the missing front plate. I went out and purchased a "souvenir plate" that looks very similar to the NM plate in coloration and simply has ROUTE 66 on it. Even when passing through two large Federale checkpoints near Morelia in August, this plate satisfied the Federale officers who walked to the front of the vehicle to check the plate. They never compared front to back.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

bournemouth

Nov 8, 2009, 6:33 PM

Post #44 of 50 (12835 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Mordidas

We did exactly the same thing for Arizona - we are now Arizona Diamondback fans - the plate is the same colors as the actual. We have never been stopped over a missing plate on Highway 15, travelling the coastal road from Arizona but found it different when going up to Texas - the federales and army on those roads seem not as used to US cars with only a rear plate.

donemry

Nov 9, 2009, 8:22 AM

Post #45 of 50 (12782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jl1] Mordidas

In Reply To
For the past few years there have been "speed traps" in Puerto Vallarta, right near the airport exits on both sides of the road. I got caught in one about 8 years ago, before I bought my property in Sayulita and got my fm3. They have one of those portable radar signs that flash your speed. It's kind of funny during rush hours, because one cop stands in the roadbed furiously waiving drivers down--ALL DRIVERS. It's like shooting ducks in a barrel to them. A few weeks ago, when they waived me over, I just waived back and kept going. They just let me go. I've learned from some local Mexican friends that they do the same thing. there is no way they can catch everybody! BTW, I absolutely was not speeding, nor are most of the people who pull over and have to negotiate.

I guess am I not the only one that has done that "wave bye"

Rolly

Nov 9, 2009, 8:28 AM

Post #46 of 50 (12778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Mordidas

I've done the wave thing a couple of times when he was on foot.

Rolly Pirate

robt65

Nov 9, 2009, 1:25 PM

Post #47 of 50 (12738 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Mordidas

Hi Again Folks,

Well Had my meeting this morning with the Director General, the Sub Director General and his assistant. It didn´t hurt that my lawyers husband is an ex motorcycle Captain (retired) from the same Transito Office, with my lawyer, my wife present as a witness and myself, one cell phone photo of the "Bandito" Transito Officer in question . . .shot on the run which I did not think would come out but did, and a good memory for an old man. By the way total cost for running a red light . . . if I had . . . was a fine of $250 Pesos. It appears that I guessed correctly (lucky for me) . . . that the last (green copy) of any ticket is the copy for the department. This "Bandito" Transito flipped his ticket book over and wrote in ink the amount of $4000 pesos, the amount he tried to tell me was the cost of such a violation . . . and to think . . . . . . he was being so generous to only wanted $2500 of that!!!!!!! Now I happened to mention that to the director General and he told me no matter what this Bandito Transito may tell him . . .if he (the Director General) sees that $4000 written on this "Bandito" Transito`s ticket copy at the end of his ticket book . . . . he (the Director General) will know for sure that I have told him (the Director General) the truth about everything. Apparently there is going to be an investigation that will take about two weeks and then this guy will be fired and my money paid back to me out of his meger pay check.

I was invited outside by the Director General Sub and introduced to numerous Transito Officers as the "Subs" friend . . . I think, just to have them spread "the word". I was presented his card and told me, to call him anytime I got stopped unfairly. Then he said . . . . . . DON¨T FORGET TO KEEP YOUR CAMERA HANDY" Oh well, anyway, it was a good feeling to be recieved well and with much courtesy and apologies from the Director General of the Transito. Time will tell if this was a sucessul venture or . . . . . . if maybe . . . .I will simply be shot by the next transito! Anyway it did make me feel good! That to me is what was important.

Robert

gpkgto

Nov 9, 2009, 2:42 PM

Post #48 of 50 (12719 views)

Shortcut

I'm glad you got a good response. I have spent several years trying to persuade some of my Mexican friends that I am not crazy for complaining when I have been wronged--a couple have even taken up the practice themselves. I hope taht if the cop gets fired he doesn't seek revenge--watch your back and don't park on the street!

robt65

Nov 9, 2009, 7:17 PM

Post #49 of 50 (12684 views)

Shortcut

Thanks gpkisner,

I plan to do just that for the next couple of weeks before moving to San Juan del Rio. I am a big guy, (6´5" tall and 240lbs not so solid anymore) and I plan to do just that! jajajajaja I have found a nice true Mexican style architecture rental casa one floor in the country near the (famous in someone´s mind) Vista Americana Hotel. 4 km from the autopista, 10 minutes from San Juan and 25 minutes from the historic centro of Queretaro. A nice garden area, patio, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, an office attached to the master bedroom, kitchen with bar top and stools, dining room, a very large cistern and all rooms with rounded brick ceilings and tile floors. Oh yes, a real brick fireplace, also my dogs are welcome as are my cat and two small peach faced parrots! All for $375 a month (always paid in american dollars) on a one year contract with the opportunity to buy after that time if I wish and the price is right. Now this is what I call retirement in style! I am like a kid at Christmas!!!

Robert

gpkgto

Nov 10, 2009, 4:49 AM

Post #50 of 50 (12632 views)

Shortcut

"rounded brick ceilings"

Sounds great--I think you have boveda ceilings--really beautiful. Try to get a chance to see one being built if you can--it's a marvel.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4