Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Zarcero

Oct 12, 2009, 2:24 PM

Post #1 of 25 (7607 views)

Shortcut

Cine Clásico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just wondering if we have any Cine Clásico fans here. I have started a small collection of these movies and would like to know if there is perhaps one company that focuses on new DVD releases of these great classics, most of which are film noir. Just watched Pueblarina the other day. What a great movie of love, hate, honor, revenge, and justice.

esperanza

Oct 12, 2009, 2:42 PM

Post #2 of 25 (7590 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zarcero] Cine Clásico

We are big fans of Gabriel Figueroa, the all-time great Mexican cinematographer. So far, our little collection of his films includes María Candelaria (1946 double prize winner at Cannes, with Dolores Del Río), Enamorada (another Cannes winner, with María Felix), Nazarín (directed by Luis Buñuel), and La Perla (winner of several Ariel prizes). Televisa puts these classic DVDs on the market.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Zarcero

Oct 12, 2009, 3:10 PM

Post #3 of 25 (7585 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Cine Clásico

Thanks. I will do a search for more of the Televisa titles. We have La Diosa Arodillada with Maria Felix. Whoa! That would have been quite racey in Hollywood back then. I have not been able find many Televisa products here in the US. On my next Mexico run I will have to do some serious looking.

I am also looking for three movies whose titles and stars I don't recall. I do recall the plots somewhat, but I saw these when I was younger, except for the last. (1) A story about an engineer who builds stuff out in the jungle, roads, dams, stuff like that. It's about him and his true love, separation, reuniting, yadda-yadda, etc. (2) The next movie is comprised of three stories of three independent women. All I can recall is that one gave her child up for adoption. (3) The third movie I caught a glimpse of last year on a trip to Mexico. An older vaquero is mentoring a hot-headed younger vaquero, they engage in arm-wrestling, sword fighting, who can cantar better, etc. The young vaquero also thinks the older vaquero is trying to steal his girl. The older vaquero keeps embarrassing the younger one by beating him in all these contests. All part of the mentoring process. Very funny musical. I think Jorge Negrete might have played the role of the older vaquero, but not sure.

Gloria Marin is also one of my favorites. Here Jose Jose sings to her after her death. I love the photo of her holding the jug of water - can't get much more Latina than that photo! ==>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYHYKPtamMQ

Manuel Dexterity

Oct 12, 2009, 4:18 PM

Post #4 of 25 (7572 views)

Shortcut

One of my favorites is Los Olvidados also directed by Luis Buñuel.

Ahí está el detalle with Mario Moreno "el Cantinflas"

Macario was on one of the movie channels the other night. It is well worth viewing.

(This post was edited by Manuel Dexterity on Oct 12, 2009, 5:02 PM)

tashby

Oct 12, 2009, 5:00 PM

Post #5 of 25 (7561 views)

Shortcut

Excellent idea for a thread!

I have several of these films written down on various pieces of paper.....*ahem*......s o m e wh e r e.

THANK YOU!

esperanza

Oct 12, 2009, 7:25 PM

Post #6 of 25 (7530 views)

Shortcut

El Barrendero, with Cantinflas. It's my favorite of his films.

sparks

Oct 13, 2009, 7:20 AM

Post #7 of 25 (7475 views)

Shortcut

La Rosa Blanca (1961)
Subida al Cielo (1952) AKA- Mexican Bus Ride
Que Viva Mexico! - Da zdravstvuyet Meksika! (1979)
Raíces (1955)
Forgotten Village - 1941 (From the Internet Archives - Public Domain)
http://mexico-cinema.blogspot.com/...en-village-1941.html

Most can be found on IMDb Movie database - search Luis Buñuel

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

(This post was edited by sparks on Oct 13, 2009, 7:22 AM)

zaragemca

Nov 6, 2009, 1:00 PM

Post #8 of 25 (7316 views)

Shortcut

Of Cantinflas I had seen, El Bolero de Raquel, El Supersabio, Un Dia con el Diablo, Los Tres Mosqueteros, El Sube y Baja, El Barrendero, El Grand Hotel, La Vuelta al Mundo en 80 dias, Abajo El Telon, El Barrendero, Agente 007, El Padrecito, Ahi ests el detalle, Su excelencia, El Analfabeto, etc. Gerry Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists

(This post was edited by zaragemca on Nov 6, 2009, 1:05 PM)

waltw

Nov 6, 2009, 1:27 PM

Post #9 of 25 (7299 views)

Shortcut

Cine Clasico? I don't know.but:
AY AMOR CÓMO ME HAS PUESTO(1950) with Tin Tan is hilarious.

richmx2

Nov 6, 2009, 2:08 PM

Post #10 of 25 (7287 views)

Shortcut

Re: [waltw] Cine Clásico

I can't find the title, or anything about it, but a sort of off the charts classic was a documentary/propaganda film made in the early 1940s to recruit medical students to work in rural areas when they did their public service obligation.

I want to say the English title is "Diary of a Young Doctor" or "A Year in the Life of a Young Doctor" or "Life in the Rural Medical Service" or something like that. What was meant as an introduction to a public service job was turned into a decent Mexican Golden Age drama -- many of which featured schoolma'arms, doctors and engineers as heroes.

Apparently, the plan was just to film a young doc working in Veracruz State and give some idea of what young docs could expect in rural postings, but the director wove it around a tale involving the doc, a wife-beater he needs to counsel, the beaten wife and her pregnancy... and climaxing in a grand way, with the young doc riding horseback through a fierce rainstorm to assist at the baby's delivery under primitive conditions.

I happened to catch this once on Canal Onze several years ago, and all I can remember about the discussion of it was that it was -- and perhaps still is -- still screened for med students at UNAM.

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

Rolly

Nov 6, 2009, 2:54 PM

Post #11 of 25 (7273 views)

Shortcut

I doubt this is a clásico, but I loved it. Laughed myself sick.

Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown)

Rolly Pirate

richmx2

Nov 6, 2009, 7:16 PM

Post #12 of 25 (7235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Cine Clásico

And who can forget such classics as "Santo contra las lobas" (Santo versus the Werewolf women of Zacatecas), "El mierdo no anda en burro" (Fear rides no burro) or -- a film so powerful, it was banned in Spain by Francisco Franco himself: "La momia azteca" ?

La Isla

Nov 6, 2009, 8:10 PM

Post #13 of 25 (7223 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Cine Clásico

In Reply To
I doubt this is a clásico, but I loved it. Laughed myself sick.

Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown)

I loved that film too! It's certainly a classic Almodóvar film or will be in a few years. How old does a film have to be anyway before it can be called "classic"?

esperanza

Nov 7, 2009, 7:19 AM

Post #14 of 25 (7187 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Cine Clásico

I think when the OP asked about Cine Clásico he was talking about Mexican classic films. Almodóvar's films are wonderful--especially Women on the Verge--but nearly all of them are made in Spain.

All that aside, there's a sequel to Women on the Verge that just played in Morelia's International Film Festival. The film, shown here only once, was sold out the minute tickets went on sale, so I didn't get to go. The new movie is called Los Abrazos Rotos (Broken Embraces). It stars Penélope Cruz. Most reviewers recommend seeing Women on the Verge again, to refresh our memories, before seeing Broken Embraces. Apparently there are many, many references to the original in the new film.

zaragemca

Nov 7, 2009, 7:34 AM

Post #15 of 25 (7186 views)

Shortcut

Re: [waltw] Cine Clásico

That is true Zarcero, German Valdez Castillo, (Tin Tan), was a good entertainer and a natural comedian. Before becoming real known, he was called, 'El Topillo Tapaz, he started as comedian doing shows for his manager, Paco Miller at Club, 'El Follies', 'El Patio',etc., in 1943, (as matter of fact, Cantinflas joined the promoting company at the, Teatro, 'Esperanza Iris' in 1943 too). They have several movies of him in Cuba, and people like it. Gerry Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists

cristalhombre

Nov 7, 2009, 9:21 AM

Post #16 of 25 (7164 views)

Shortcut

Esperanza

Granted these two films are contemporary, however worth mentioning as they are both very powerful films!

The Shame (Spain - 2009) just played at the Spanish Film Fest here in Portland, the other film is Sin Nombre by Cary Fukunaga, also a 2009 release - and likely to be on DVD at the Tiangus.

Both EXCELLENT. Tragic of course, but then what story about REAL life in the Latin culture isn't.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

richmx2

Nov 7, 2009, 11:30 AM

Post #17 of 25 (7146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] Cine Clásico

Sin Nombre is a U.S. film, not a Mexican one... and how much it reflects "REAL" life is a matter of dispute. For what it's worth, Mexicans who have viewed it say it's a rather melodramatic rendition of the experiences of SOME Central Americas in transit through Mexico to the United States -- prior to the August 2008 changes in Mexican immigration laws.

The other is a Spanish (not Mexican) film, which I've never heard of.

La Isla

Nov 7, 2009, 12:03 PM

Post #18 of 25 (7139 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

......Both EXCELLENT. Tragic of course, but then what story about REAL life in the Latin culture isn't.

That´s taking a rather grim view of life in a huge cultural area of the world. How much time have you spent living in "Latin culture" yourself?

Peter

Nov 7, 2009, 6:44 PM

Post #19 of 25 (7098 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Cine Clásico

In Reply To
"El mierdo no anda en burro" (Fear rides no burro) or -- a film so powerful, it was banned in Spain by Francisco Franco himself: "La momia azteca" ?

Is that, "miedo"? Or is it really that scary?

Favorite contemporary film classic: "La Ley de Herodes."

cristalhombre

Nov 8, 2009, 11:34 AM

Post #20 of 25 (7043 views)

Shortcut

Fair enough La Isla...... I guess should have prefaced my interest in films that challenge the viewer. I just find this type of work far more interesting than a Sandra Bullock type "chic flix".

I see it this way.............."Life is difficult!" (First line in the famous book, Road Less Traveled - Scott Peck) and the methods by which a good writer and director can bring a "struggle" within the human-experience to film - the more I am intrigued. Perhaps I have a twisted mind, but that's what I like! I don't need to feel good and upbeat following a film - but I certainly notice work that kicks me in the ass - to consider a deeper theme. Mexico and Latin America have so MUCH material to select in this genre - I see it everywhere. Certainly there is bliss, harmony, and beauty all thru Mexico - I get that!.......but underneath the facade....... that is where a good story/film will catch my interest.

Regarding my MX experience. I'm just a guest of MX (like 99% of this forum) for the past 25 years. Own a home in Ajijic, but much prefer traveling - experiencing rural MX and Central America.

As a active member of the Northwest Film Center (joint effort of the Portland Art Museum and Portland State University Film School) I've noticed in the past two years that NFCC now hosts both a Latin Film Fest and a Spanish Film Fest during the year - neither of these existed just a couple of years ago. My point - stories from the latin culture are more + more available - and many of these are amazing films - but rarely mimic a fairy tale.

La Isla

Nov 8, 2009, 12:34 PM

Post #21 of 25 (7022 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Regarding my MX experience. I'm just a guest of MX (like 99% of this forum) for the past 25 years. Own a home in Ajijic, but much prefer traveling - experiencing rural MX and Central America.

I'm a bit surprised by your statistics: 99% of members of MexConnect are merely guests of Mexico. Maybe my perceptions are blinded by my own situation, that of a permanent resident for over two years, though not a homeowner, like you, cristalhombre.

richmx2

Nov 8, 2009, 12:48 PM

Post #22 of 25 (7017 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Cine Clásico

My typing has been deteriorating lately :-)

It was "Momia azteca" that was banned by Franco. "El miedo..." is one of the sillier India Maria films: rich old lady leaves her fortune to her dog, and names her faithful maid (Maria) as executor. Old ladys greedy, "ethically challenged" relations spend the rest of the film trying to bump off Maria and the dog... or scare her to death in a haunted house in Guanajuato. Maria's interaction with a "typical gringo tourist" (though he seems to have a British accent) is, indeed, clasico.

cristalhombre

Nov 8, 2009, 1:47 PM

Post #23 of 25 (7003 views)

Shortcut

Agreed - owning property is arbitrary to cultural observations. Let's just say I am very aware, a student of the humanities.

The concept of "permanency" might be the difference in how we each view + feel about our respective "place". For me.......I don't see that affiliations with a country or government or "immigration status" make me anything other than who I am - ME. Furthermore, MY perceptions of the world are mine and yours are yours - no doubt, and these views develop our individual "realities" (whether or not they are TRUE or FALSE)

I should probably indicate that I feel as if I am a "Guest" on Planet Earth.

Back to the films. Those two I mentioned are both excellent and you might enjoy them. They will certainly take you beyond the daily life of living in MX, or Finland for that matter.

Peter

Nov 10, 2009, 6:08 AM

Post #24 of 25 (6930 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I should probably indicate that I feel as if I am a "Guest" on Planet Earth.

As it goes with Planet Earth I feel I have a larger stake, I own it. Though that is much like the owner of a condominium with a large, shared common area, etc.

The drawback is like other condos, i.e., the regulations, association fees, etc.

Maritsa

Nov 15, 2009, 9:08 AM

Post #25 of 25 (6840 views)

Shortcut

I have spent the past 6 years watching "cine clasico" with my hombre. I took him to the airport yesterday and he went back to Mexico for good. I am watching the "canal pelicula", a movie called "Negro es mi color" (1951), a movie about inter racial love and discrimination. Timo loves Vicente Fernandez and Cantinflas, so I have watched dozens of movies with him and really love them. He took about 100 DVD's with him that he bought through a TV offer last year. Well, back to packing for my move back to NJ. Trying to keep busy, but I really miss the guy!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4