Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

jerezano

Nov 5, 2009, 8:31 AM

Post #1 of 9 (11782 views)

Shortcut

Does Star Choice offer Internet via satellite service?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all,

I don't like satellite internet service because of the time delay in responses. Nonetheless, I may be forced into its use by circumstances which I can't control.

So, in the Lake Chapala area I would appreciate hearing what satellite internet service has given you all the best and cheapest installations.

I am an absolute idiot about satellite service whether it is just TV or internet, so bear with me if this question has been answered elsewhere here on the forum. A search didn't give me any results that I could understand.

Hasta luego,

jerezano.

johanson / Moderator

Nov 5, 2009, 9:31 AM

Post #2 of 9 (11778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Does Star Choice offer Internet via satellite service?

The slowest and therefore the least desirable internet available lakeside is dialup. It's still available, then comes the very expensive option of Satellite Internet, which is better than dialup, but very expensive. The one that I hear most often mentioned is www.hughesnet.com At one time the equipment costs were about $2,000 US. However I believe the costs are appreciably lower now. Check the monthly fees as well. They used to be quite high

Another option if you do not want to use Prodigy Infinitum, is the cable company or fixed WiFi. You know whether you have cable in your neighborhood, if you do you might want to try them. The other option is www.laguna.com.mx They have antennas between West Chapala and Jocotepec that can communicate with a home antenna that feeds the modem etc.

Laguna's setup costs used to be $450 US. They are now $300 to $350 US which a fraction of the cost of satellite internet. They're monthly rates vary between $25 and $40 US per month before discounts.

Oh, I am bigoted, a good friend owns Lagunanet, and I sometimes donate my time giving tech support there.

bournemouth

Nov 5, 2009, 10:02 AM

Post #3 of 9 (11771 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Does Star Choice offer Internet via satellite service?

What about the data package that Telcel offers - it's like cell phone service - I think one of the suppliers calls it BAM - I know it's been talked about before here. If there is cell service, than you have service for your computer - again, not cheap but cheaper than Hughes Net.

chinagringo

Nov 5, 2009, 10:44 AM

Post #4 of 9 (11764 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Does Star Choice offer Internet via satellite service?

Someone may correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Telcel uses 3G network for their service. Not all areas of MX have 3G but may have cell phone service. We use a similar card from SPRINT NOB and it only works in 3G and now they are headed towards 4G initially in larger service areas and then as a future replacement for 3G. Anyone using this type of card from a NOB provider should check their plan before using as it can get very spendy SOB!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Nov 5, 2009, 12:03 PM

Post #5 of 9 (11752 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Does Star Choice offer Internet via satellite service?

Yes Telcel does offer internet down here, and it is available lakeside, and I forgot to mention it. I'm told that you have a very limited amount of data that you can send or receive, without being charged a great deal more, but that it is one heck of a lot better than no internet

Based upon my usage it would be an option I was glad I have available but even gladder that I don't have to use. No one service is best in all locations. For example where I live Cable internet sucks, in certain parts of La Cristina, Laguna sucks and I am sure that there are areas that do not have good DSL.

I have always had two ISPs. I have the mid ranged DSL package because of the great telephone options it gives me. I can phone long distance (in Mexico) for as many hours as I wish.

I also have fixed WiFi. I am used to using lagunanet (fixed WiFi) as my primary internet source, but it's good that I have a backup, not that either are down much anymore. But that was not always the case. But should the telephone lines be down, not problem with fixed WiFi

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Oh but in answer to your original question, does Star Choice give internet service down here? Anik F2 the satellite that primarily carries Star Choice (Shaw Direct) HD and foreign language products is also used by http://www.wildblue.com/ The bird is located at 111.1 degrees West

They offer service North of the Border using spot beams. The footprint map that I saw several years ago suggests that there would be no coverage down here. Maybe someone here knows more and can correct me if my information is a little outdated.

RickS

Nov 5, 2009, 6:28 PM

Post #6 of 9 (11724 views)

Shortcut

Actually Pete, jerezano lives outside of Zacatecas and I interpreted his need to be there in Jerez, not Lakeside.....

johanson / Moderator

Nov 5, 2009, 6:35 PM

Post #7 of 9 (11723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Does Star Choice offer Internet via satellite service?

Yes upon rereading his post, I bet you are right. Sorry about that jerezano

johanson / Moderator

Nov 6, 2009, 8:38 AM

Post #8 of 9 (11697 views)

Shortcut

I just talked to the Telcel rep across from my office. She said that yes we have 3G here and that the download speed was up to 3 gigbytes per sec and that the upload speed was up to 50% of that. I said don't you mean megabits? She smiled with a look of I'm not sure and agreed.

Now you can "conectate donde quieras, internet ilimitado movil por solo $449 pesos al mes y llevate el modem gratis
You can connect where-ever if you are in range for an unlimited amount of download for $449 per month, with the modem thrown in for free.

There is a catch though, after 3 gigabytes of data transferred in any one month your download speed drops to up to 128 kbits/sec or only slightly faster than dialup, for that month.

So if you are not on line that much no big deal, but if you're a heavy user you wont be happy.

I use about 6 gigabytes per month, so it would not be good for me

(This post was edited by johanson on Nov 6, 2009, 11:39 AM)

Don Gringo

Nov 7, 2009, 12:01 PM

Post #9 of 9 (11661 views)

Shortcut

With Telcel if you dig around you can find a wireless router, it probably works similar to the T-Mobile router from the States. However, the router is only available in certain areas. I would also assume it is subject to the same 3 GB limits. We decided to go with Telmex's lovely fluctuating bandwidth plan. Even though it is usually over 1.75mbps it chops up videos from my college classes.
Lived for 35 months in Mexico. I feel like I paid my dues...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4