Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Almost There...

Jul 19, 2002, 10:37 AM

Post #1 of 6 (5789 views)

Shortcut

I've gotten dual citizenship - can my kids?

Can't Post |
I am waiting for my Mexican citizenship papers to be complete in about a week (a relatively easy process). My mother was born in Mexico. Once I get my nationality, can my kids also get their dual citizenship? How about my spouse?

visitor

Jul 19, 2002, 11:08 AM

Post #2 of 6 (5781 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
For sure, not your spouse, though as a dual national, you should have the same rights to "import" a spouse as any citizen. Not sure about the kids; no where have kids of kids of a citizen been mentioned.<p>

Denis

Jul 19, 2002, 11:59 AM

Post #3 of 6 (5782 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You might want to look further into what benefits your spouse could get from this. My mother, a native-born U.S. citizen, traveled for awhile on a French passport because my father was French. (There is nothing French about mom, though I inherited my dad's French citizenship.) This allowed her to stay in Europe longer than she could have as a U.S. tourist.

visitor

Jul 20, 2002, 8:42 AM

Post #4 of 6 (5782 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Mexico is not France; it has its own laws and regulations. A Mexican national can apply for permanent residency for his or her spouse. Once that paperwork is complete, the spouse can work without further documents. There is a requirement to remain in Mexico most of the time; that is, no traveling large amounts of time.<p>Without that residency application, there is virtually no immigration benefit to being married to a Mexican national.

Denny

Jul 20, 2002, 8:37 PM

Post #5 of 6 (5784 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hello, I'm an U.S. citizen and am married to Mexican. I have a FM3 immigration status. Upon applying for my second FM3 document (five years had expired) the officer in charge mentioned to me as an option to renewing my FM3 that I could become a Mexican citizen and gave me directions where to apply (sorry, I don't remember the office title but it's where Mexican apply for there passports in the city where I live). I went and I do qualify. I haven't decided if I'm going to do it. I'm concerned how the U.S. government would view me, which is probably a different topic for another time. As for the kids both of ours where born in California and about 4 years ago we went to register them here in Mexico we were able to do register one because he was under 18 years of age but the other no because he was no longer a minor. He most likely can do it on his own now.

visitor

Jul 20, 2002, 9:09 PM

Post #6 of 6 (5782 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
There is considerable information on serious URL's on the Web, on this very topic. I am not counting opinion forums like this one. There was a court ruling on this topic of U.S. citizens taking citizenship in another country. Technically, U.S. law said as soon as you take citizenship in another nation, your U.S. citizenship is gone forever.<p>However, the court ruling prevented the U.S. government from enforcing this law, unless the individual SPECIFICALLY renounced U.S. citizenship, which Mexico apparently does not require you to do while getting Mexican citizenship.<p>Yet, a lot of people decide not to do it, because if that court ruling is overturned somehow, they would lose U.S. citizenship.<p>I tend to be somewhat conservative, and unless I was totally positive I could live the rest of my life without returning to the States, which is a possibility if they change the ruling, I would not do it. It is too easy to live on FM-3 or whatever, to take the chance.<p>However, I could never tell anyone else what to do.<p>By the way, what you describe is what I mentioned above, not the obtaining of dual citizenship (actually nationality) as the original poster questioned. What you are studying is NOT dual nationality as such.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4