Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

don pedro

Nov 1, 2009, 1:52 PM

Post #1 of 19 (9229 views)

Shortcut

the big chapala beef beef

Can't Post | Private Reply
awright then, there has been mucho controversy about beef around here[chapala] fer a long time.
the pic shows the "premium" ribeye steak i just bought at soriana taday.
i've been buying it whenever they have it since i've lived here. for a long time they didn't carry it until wallymart opened and then,voila,they had it again but for several weeks now, nada.
so i put a liplock on the super early this week and 'splained us ferners who knows their beef don't like the "selecto" which is a much lower grade[no marbling in the eye at all].
the selecto is a low grade beef and the premium is prime imported us beef at a bargain price. the super here has trouble getting it because most of it stays in the guad stores but he gonna try harder ta grab some fer us here from now on.
it'll be hit and miss,so get it when it's in before i do[wish i had a bigger freezer]
guess what i gonna bbq tanight-SNORK!.
what do costco,sam's tony's etc. sell prime fer anyway?
i bought some at mega once and it weren't no good[like selecto] same as wallymart here.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!
Attachments: ribeye steak a.jpg (108 KB)

Gringal

Nov 1, 2009, 2:10 PM

Post #2 of 19 (9219 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] the big chapala beef beef

That's a purty picture, Pedro. Why don't they look like that when I'm shopping there? Timing is all in life.

Hound Dog

Nov 1, 2009, 3:43 PM

Post #3 of 19 (9188 views)

Shortcut

the selecto is a low grade beef and the premium is prime imported us beef at a bargain price.

Pedro, mi amigo. They ain.t no such thang as "prime imported beef" to U.S. standards in all of Mexico much less that hick Soriana you shop at in Chapala. You be livin in a dream world down a yellow brick road pontoon head.

don pedro

Nov 1, 2009, 4:30 PM

Post #4 of 19 (9173 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] the big chapala beef beef

lissen you 'bama hiccup, i forgotten more about beef then you ever knowed. that there pic is worth a 1000 of yer worthless words ta anyone else that knows beef.
now i gotta go check my bbq after just putting on the hy's season salt and garlic powder. i don't wreck good beef like you does.
SNORK!
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

tashby

Nov 1, 2009, 4:45 PM

Post #5 of 19 (9160 views)

Shortcut

Damn. That does look like a nice couple or ribeyes. I was in Tony's the other day and turned and walked out, empty-handed.

I wound up at Susazon (sp?) in Ajijic. They have a consistently great arrachera. I had previously bought a couple of New Yorks that were okay. So a couple days ago I ventured into their rib-eye rounds.

Crap.

Sigh.

If I knew that Soriana could be relied on for those, I'd head that way. (It's not very convenient to where we are, so....)

Hound Dog

Nov 2, 2009, 6:27 AM

Post #6 of 19 (9084 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] the big chapala beef beef

While Sr. Pedro and I like to harass each other I am quite serious (well almost) about the following observation. Those steaks, while well marbled, are too brightly pink to have been properly aged. A well marbled and well aged beefsteak should be more of a greyish purple color. Now, for Chapalaberta meat aficionados from the Frozen Tundra who think a good steak should bark at them when placed on the grill, I must point out that Bubba stated the beef should be "greyish" not "green" which is not good. Bubba is tolerant of cultural diversity and realizes that in the Frozen Tundra dead beef does not decompose for generations so my friend Pedro is perhaps uninformed about the noble rot that transforms beef into a fine edible without, for God´s sake, Tim Horton Hy´s Seasoning whatever the hell that is.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 2, 2009, 6:30 AM)

Hound Dog

Nov 2, 2009, 6:34 AM

Post #7 of 19 (9079 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] the big chapala beef beef

Tashby:

The Susazon "gourmet" food chain which has a branch on the carretera in Ajijic, makes fine marinated arrachera but I have found that their other beef cuts and some of their other meat and poultry products are, at best, unimpressive.

don pedro

Nov 2, 2009, 8:06 AM

Post #8 of 19 (9054 views)

Shortcut

bubinski you putz, since the colour of well aged beef would be off putting to most consumers the larger chains have been dying the beef "red" for many years. no the dye won't hurt ya. them steaks ain't pink-they is red.
i will now add colour blindness to your list of many failings and hogwashery.
back in alberta where all steak is prime, i always waited for the steak sale when the meat reverted back to it's natural colour and got it for half price-SNORK!

Hound Dog

Nov 2, 2009, 8:30 AM

Post #9 of 19 (9043 views)

Shortcut

back in alberta where all steak is prime, i always waited for the steak sale when the meat reverted back to it's natural colour and got it for half price-SNORK

Don Pedro would love the hamburger served up by Safeway in California back in the 1980s when Safeway found it could make a killing mixing unsold hamburger meat that had turned grey/green in with the freshly ground hamburger meat of the day rather than throw it out as prudence would dictate. They got caught and were fined and humiliated but you may rest assured that if they had been doing this in Mexico there would have been no piper to pay and no problem with the authorities whatsoever except maybe a mordida "small bite". Dawg has not consumed supermarket ground beef since that scandal but buys his own round or chuck and grinds it at home with a sufficient amount of fat to assure the somewhat rotund Dawg that he does not shrink to skinny-fartdom and look like some Godawful feo Chapala shrimp on a motorbike who thinks he is Marlon Brando but has more in common with Boy George.

Gringal

Nov 2, 2009, 9:07 AM

Post #10 of 19 (9030 views)

Shortcut

You guys are a real pair. I won't suggest what you're a pair of........but at least I'm not falling asleep at the thread, so carry on carrying on.

Back when Safeway was shucking and jiving the burger meat, I'd grab a big roast, ring for the butcher who thought he was safe behind the glass and say "Grind it medium, please", to which he would make retorts like "we have ground beef in the case out there, lady." But, after my bone chilling stare, he ground it while I beady-eyed him. I used to have a home grinder........but haven't a clue where to get one around here. Any suggestions?

chinagringo

Nov 2, 2009, 5:37 PM

Post #11 of 19 (8943 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] the big chapala beef beef

If you have a KitchenAid mixer and what self respecting cook would not have one? They have a great meat grinder that fits on it!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Gringal

Nov 2, 2009, 8:41 PM

Post #12 of 19 (8921 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] the big chapala beef beef

I am without such an appliance. Oh, mea culpa Bleahhh! So, do you know where a meat grinder can be found, already?

chinagringo

Nov 3, 2009, 4:22 AM

Post #13 of 19 (8888 views)

Shortcut

Now that I have given you a hard time - if my memory serves me correctly, I have seen the "hand power" type at the Mercado in Guadalajara.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

don pedro

Nov 3, 2009, 6:55 AM

Post #14 of 19 (8870 views)

Shortcut

oh good grief! what sillyness! the reason hamburger can be a problem is that a chunk of meat has only one surface which is cooked end of problem. ground chunk of meat[burger in any form]has a gazzillion surfaces, whether ya grind yer own or not, including the previously exposed which may or may not be contaminated. ya gettin' the picture gringal-SNORK!
why people still eat rare hamburgers is beyond fathoming. if the fat content is right you will still have a juicy tasty ham or cheeseburger well done. just fer fun and further searing/sealing lightly brush on some of yer favourite bbq sauce.
i buy the commercial grade at soriana because it has the right amount of fat and if i get it ground at the mercado i watch and make sure they add lotsa fat.
iffen ya still want a hand grinder-maybe my maid will sell ya the one i gave her.

Gringal

Nov 3, 2009, 7:55 AM

Post #15 of 19 (8854 views)

Shortcut

I got the picture a long time ago, Pedro. Been a while since I fell off the turnip truck. The trouble with hamburger goes beyond just cooking it well done. Some bugs don't die easily.

I'm generally okay with the packages where the burger was ground by the butcher in that store. However, if it is delivered from the big truck in barrels, the risk of contamination is multiplied. Ever had a good case of salmonella poisoning? I have. There's plenty of information on the problem, so no need to repeat it here. You might have noticed the many hamburger recalls in recent news.

Maybe you didn't have this problem in the frozen tundra, but in the U.S. they had and still have some very dubious paths from the cattle to the packages of hamburger in the case. Some of them would turn your stomach. Safeway in particular got nailed and heavily fined for their practices.

Come to think of it.....I'll just have a solid steak on the grill.

Don't deprive your maid of the grinder. Who knows what creative purposes she puts it to?

Hound Dog

Nov 3, 2009, 1:01 PM

Post #16 of 19 (8806 views)

Shortcut

why people still eat rare hamburgers is beyond fathoming.

Why people still destroy the very essence of hamburgerdom by cookiing hamburger meat to the consistency of cardboard is beyond fathoming.

Bubba The Dawg only eats rare hamburger grilled over charcoal with hickory or, in a crunch, mesquite or oak. That hamburger meat is ground in Bubba´s own kitchen just before cooking and is infused with tons of raw smashed garlic and perhaps depending upon the day´s mood, Mexican oregano leaves and thickly sliced red onions await the ultimate burger meal and a better meal has never been served on this planet.

Pedro spent way too many years quaffing down dreadful Tim Horton coffee followed by complimentary peppermints from hell and, having been raised on the frozen Alberta tundra, never ate a decent meal until McDonalds built a greaseburger franchise in his sorry home town during the few months when the sun actually comes up and it makes me shiver just to think of his misfortune when, had he been born in a decent place he might have been a decent fellow. How sad.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 3, 2009, 1:01 PM)

don pedro

Nov 4, 2009, 5:38 AM

Post #17 of 19 (8737 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
why people still eat rare hamburgers is beyond fathoming.

Why people still destroy the very essence of hamburgerdom by cookiing hamburger meat to the consistency of cardboard is beyond fathoming.

Bubba The Dawg only eats rare hamburger grilled over charcoal with hickory or, in a crunch, mesquite or oak. That hamburger meat is ground in Bubba´s own kitchen just before cooking and is infused with tons of raw smashed garlic and perhaps depending upon the day´s mood, Mexican oregano leaves and thickly sliced red onions await the ultimate burger meal and a better meal has never been served on this planet.

Pedro spent way too many years quaffing down dreadful Tim Horton coffee followed by complimentary peppermints from hell and, having been raised on the frozen Alberta tundra, never ate a decent meal until McDonalds built a greaseburger franchise in his sorry home town during the few months when the sun actually comes up and it makes me shiver just to think of his misfortune when, had he been born in a decent place he might have been a decent fellow. How sad.

and this from someone who waxes poetic about the inferior burger king ad nauseum.i'll have a harvey's over that anytime.
the more you talk about beef and burgers with yer usual pomposity,bubinski,the more you expose yer lack of knowledge, thereof.

Hound Dog

Nov 4, 2009, 6:59 AM

Post #18 of 19 (8723 views)

Shortcut

Which reminds me, Sr. Pedro. I have to take a guest to the airport today. Time for a cheese whopper at Burger King; extra mayo, onions and tomatoes. Then maybe a donut at Dunkin Donuts. The airport is the only place I know where one can have a margarita with a whopper. A fine gourmet treat if I must say so myself. It has become fashionable to proclaim The Dawg pompous. Join the club.

Bubinski

Hound Dog

Nov 5, 2009, 10:51 AM

Post #19 of 19 (8621 views)

Shortcut

Which reminds me, Sr. Pedro. I have to take a guest to the airport today. Time for a cheese whopper at Burger King; extra mayo, onions and tomatoes. Then maybe a donut at Dunkin Donuts. The (Guadalajara) airport is the only place I know where one can have a margarita with a whopper. A fine gourmet treat if I must say so myself.

Actually, that is not entirely correct. Please review the Southern Mexico Forum for more details.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 5, 2009, 10:51 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4