Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

hammoncm

Nov 3, 2009, 12:19 PM

Post #1 of 7 (16633 views)

Shortcut

gas mark conversion for a Mexican oven

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone give me the gas mark conversion for a Mexican oven ?...the European chart has more marks and doesn't seem to coincide so please don't direct me to that. I have searched everywhere and the best response I have gotten is " get an oven thermometer"

Rolly

Nov 3, 2009, 12:24 PM

Post #2 of 7 (16626 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hammoncm] gas mark conversion for a Mexican oven

With an oven thermometer (which one should always have on hand), you can calibrate the marks to march your oven exactly.

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Nov 3, 2009, 12:39 PM

Post #3 of 7 (16616 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] gas mark conversion for a Mexican oven

Here's a good conversion website: http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kitchen/oventemp.htm. Print the table and put it near your stove till you can automatically do the conversions in your mind.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Nov 3, 2009, 12:40 PM)

Gringal

Nov 3, 2009, 1:10 PM

Post #4 of 7 (16607 views)

Shortcut

I remodeled my ancient kitchen and indulged in a pricey GE Profile oven. Oh, goodie, and after no less than three repairs, it sort of works. "Sort of", meaning that the alleged oven temp is 30 degrees higher than the oven thermometer I put on the shelf to check it. Then, there is the altitude factor added in. I am at nearly 5000 ft.

So yes, get your conversion chart, but by all means put an oven thermometer in there to verify the temperature.

tashby

Nov 3, 2009, 1:13 PM

Post #5 of 7 (16606 views)

Shortcut

I have two oven thermometers in my oven, so you're welcome to one of them if you live nearby. In fact, you can have the entire oven.

La Isla

Nov 3, 2009, 1:48 PM

Post #6 of 7 (16592 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] gas mark conversion for a Mexican oven

I have been lucky with my small, not too old oven. The owner of the apartment (also a good friend) told me when I moved in that it had never been used for baking, just for storing the pots and pans the place is supplied with. So when I decided to make some banana bread a couple of months ago, I was a bit concerned. Luckily the recipe I used gave the oven temperatures in both Farenheit and Celsius, so that wasn't a problem. And the altitude didn't really affect the baking time either. Both times I made banana bread with blueberries, the results were scrumptious!

yucatandreamer

Nov 3, 2009, 2:04 PM

Post #7 of 7 (16581 views)

Shortcut

Since I can't find my oven thermometer and recently bought a new Mabe stove, I will give you the conversion that came with the appliance(so far we haven't burned anything and I did bake some cookies in it ) 5-145C/293F, 4-230C/446F, 3-200C/392F, 2-160C/320F, 1-145C/293F. Basically we put it at a little before 3 to approximate 350F-375F for most things and slightly above 4 for things like oven fries.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4