Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

colibri1

Oct 30, 2009, 6:06 AM

Post #1 of 16 (10773 views)

Shortcut

Famous knife makers

Can't Post | Private Reply
Anybody know about the knife makers of Sayula?

We'll be travelling soon looking for gifts for my shop.

I imagine there are workshops there other than the famous Ojeda family that may be a little more affordable for a first time try-out of the genre?

bournemouth

Oct 30, 2009, 8:31 AM

Post #2 of 16 (10751 views)

Shortcut

Re: [colibri1] Famous knife makers

A relative of the Ojedas has recently opened a store in the same area - but the Ojedas are the premier knife makers in the country and the first in Sayula, so there is not much other choice.

colibri1

Oct 30, 2009, 10:26 AM

Post #3 of 16 (10730 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Famous knife makers

Thanks for the speedy reply.
Any info on the relative's shop would be appreciated. I think I have the Ojeda's address.

Don

Oct 30, 2009, 12:37 PM

Post #4 of 16 (10710 views)

Shortcut

The relatives shop is on the same block that Ojeda has his shop and two stores. It is on the other side of the street. There are other knife makers in town, just look for the signs. They also sell some of the other knife makers products from stands in front of the bus station on the portal. You can also buy some of Sayula's Cajeta at those same locations.

esperanza

Oct 30, 2009, 12:57 PM

Post #5 of 16 (10706 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Famous knife makers

And don't go to Sayula without a visit to its famous ghost. <evil grin>

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Oct 30, 2009, 6:48 PM

Post #6 of 16 (10687 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Famous knife makers

In Reply To

I love a good ghost story, though I don´t know what I´d do if confronted with a real ghost in the flesh (an inappropriate metaphor, I guess). Anyway, esperanza, some details, please!

esperanza

Oct 30, 2009, 7:21 PM

Post #7 of 16 (10679 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Famous knife makers

In Reply To

In Reply To

I love a good ghost story, though I don´t know what I´d do if confronted with a real ghost in the flesh (an inappropriate metaphor, I guess). Anyway, esperanza, some details, please!

This ghost is only visible in Sayula, and your 'in the flesh' metaphor is quite apt. I am not giving away any secrets--you'll have to take a trip to Sayula to hear the ghost stories.

La Isla

Oct 30, 2009, 7:54 PM

Post #8 of 16 (10674 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

This ghost is only visible in Sayula, and your 'in the flesh' metaphor is quite apt. I am not giving away any secrets--you'll have to take a trip to Sayula to hear the ghost stories.

In the meantime, I think I'll google "Sayula" and "ghost" and see what the internet has to say about all this. I wonder if the Sayula ghost as horrifying as the Guanajuato mummies.

Don

Oct 30, 2009, 8:04 PM

Post #9 of 16 (10663 views)

Shortcut

To read about the ghost, google El Anima de Sayula.

esperanza

Oct 30, 2009, 10:08 PM

Post #10 of 16 (10649 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In the meantime, I think I'll google "Sayula" and "ghost" and see what the internet has to say about all this. I wonder if the Sayula ghost as horrifying as the Guanajuato mummies.

Infinitely worse than the Guanajuato mummies.

La Isla

Oct 30, 2009, 10:55 PM

Post #11 of 16 (10637 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Infinitely worse than the Guanajuato mummies.

I took Don's advice and googled El Ánima de Sayula. Very amusing! And I learned a bunch of new Mexican slang, too. My knowledge of the language is a bit weak in that area, though I always know where to put the accents when I'm writing!

La Isla

Oct 30, 2009, 11:08 PM

Post #12 of 16 (10636 views)

Shortcut

Here I am replying to myself online. I really must get out more - too bad it's been raining cats and dogs all day in the Big City keeping me indoors. Anyway, when googling El Ánima de Sayula, I came across the fact that a movie of that name exists, made in Mexico in 1982. I wonder what it's like....

toddmc

Nov 22, 2009, 4:49 PM

Post #13 of 16 (10449 views)

Shortcut

Here is a website that you might find helpful
http://www.cuchillosojeda.com/ojeda/index.html

Todd

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Nov 22, 2009, 8:03 PM)

RickS

Nov 22, 2009, 6:42 PM

Post #14 of 16 (10429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toddmc] Famous knife makers

Todd's link is messed up (technical term!) correct one is http://www.cuchillosojeda.com/ojeda/index.html

tonyburton

Nov 22, 2009, 8:04 PM

Post #15 of 16 (10412 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Famous knife makers

Link fixed now, Tony

colibri1

Nov 27, 2009, 5:38 AM

Post #16 of 16 (10358 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toddmc] Famous knife makers