Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

lorirobin

Oct 29, 2009, 10:23 AM

Post #1 of 5 (6060 views)

Shortcut

Dish TV

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm not sure how Dish TV works in Mexico. I assume you set up an account in the States and then haul the dish and satellite box down the Mexico and set it up? Or you may require a larger dish the further south you go? We currently have Starchoice and it's good but I see where several of the posters have both. I might like to have both myself. Starchoice works great in Puerto Escondido where we are but I'm not so sure about Dish TV working that far south.
Any information anyone can share would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lorirobin

(This post was edited by lorirobin on Oct 29, 2009, 10:24 AM)

johanson / Moderator

Oct 29, 2009, 11:47 AM

Post #2 of 5 (6049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lorirobin] Dish TV

First, the Star Choice signal is much stronger in the Greater Guadalajara area and PV than DISH. In fact we use the larger 75 E Star Choice dish. You are, of course, even further south than us.

Now the Dish signal is already pretty weak by the time it reaches Guadalajara, and even weaker in Oaxaca. Most of the signals from dish come from three satellites where I live when in the states. Satellites 110, 119, and 129 degrees W.

In Guadalajara, the signal strength on 129 W is marginal at best and I bet it would really be bad in Puerto Escondido. We lost more than half of our signals from the Sat at 110 W when they upgraded to a new satellite with it's signals better focused on the US with less bleed-over in Mexico.

Now we are still getting all of the channels (transponders) from the satellite at 119 West, but it is scheduled to be replaced by a new satellite at the same location this coming spring that also should have less signal bleed-over into Mexico. If I were you, I would hold back buying any DISH gear and bringing it down until we learn whether 119 is still viewable in your area.

That said, if you already have an activated receiver, you know, an active account in the US, sure bring the receiver down if you want, but the satellite dish/s will be much larger than what Dish has in the US, and you will be using a different type LNB.

Here along the shores of Lake Chapala I use a 1 meter dish for 119 W and a 1.9 meter for the perhaps 40% of the channels I used to pick up before they replaced the satellite last year for the 110 W satellite, and my 2.4 meter Dish isn't big enough to bring in programming on 129 degrees West.

A 36.5 by 26.5 inch elliptical dish works great here for Star Choice.

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 29, 2009, 11:53 AM)

lorirobin

Oct 29, 2009, 2:44 PM

Post #3 of 5 (6030 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Dish TV

Thanks for all the good info. I have another question about security cameras and being able to view them over the internet. Does anyone know if this can be done in Mexico. It gets rather complicated with port forwarding, but it's done all the time in the States. If anyone has any information, I'd be glad to hear it.
Lorirobin.

johanson / Moderator

Oct 29, 2009, 3:12 PM

Post #4 of 5 (6022 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lorirobin] Dish TV

Sure and I have such a system. But do I have it connected via Ethernet cable to the router? No, but I have the instructions and I will soon hook it up. It's just that I am too lazy.. Right now I have 7 cameras connected two of which are movable, I don't remember if the movable cameras can be moved remotely or not; I don't think so. I also have all but one camera connected to a hard drive difficult to access, recording events for more than 30 days before the system overwrites what was previously recorded

lorirobin

Oct 29, 2009, 3:51 PM

Post #5 of 5 (6010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Dish TV

I have such a system myself, with a DVR etc. It can be set to record 24/7 or certain hours of the day and night or only when the system detects motion. In fact when set in the motion detection mode, it will take a snapshot and email it to me. It will even download everything recorded to a remote location for safe keeping. So stealing the DVR won't do the bad guys any good but for a monthly fee of course. But it has to be hooked up to our modem/router which I haven't been able to do yet.
When you get around to setting yours up I'd appreciate you posting how it's done so the rest of us can attempt it. I would have called Telmex for advice but my spanish isn't up to that level.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4