Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Manuel Dexterity

Oct 27, 2009, 7:14 PM

Post #1 of 7 (5069 views)

Shortcut

Another wonderful meal, muy mexicana

Can't Post | Private Reply
My nephew recently married a young lady from Mazatlan whose family produces machaca estilo sinoloense. Everytime he visits his inlaws he brings back generous amounts for all of us here in Guadalajara.

This is what we had today for our comida which started with a homemade sopa de fideo and also frijoles con elote.

This particular machaca, (all beef by the way), is not the fine almost powdery type that is very common and considered by many to be the best. This still has a little bite to it, not having been machacada to such a feathery state but still light and fluffy and this is the kind we prefer in the casa Dexterity.

Now my wife, who is extremely knowledgable about her native cuisine, also prefers not to prepare it as machaca con huevo but instead prepares her guiso without the egg. Today it was just tomato,onion and chile guero. Simple but very tasty.

sergiogomez

Oct 28, 2009, 7:22 PM

Post #2 of 7 (5019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Another wonderful meal, muy mexicana

So it's just the meat, tomato, onion, and chile with no sauce?

Manuel Dexterity

Oct 28, 2009, 7:42 PM

Post #3 of 7 (5014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Another wonderful meal, muy mexicana

The tomato, onion and chile are stewed with the machaca. It makes its own sauce. There was a homemade salsa de chile habanero on the table for those who wanted more heat.

Carron

Oct 30, 2009, 9:20 AM

Post #4 of 7 (4978 views)

Shortcut

Chile, tomato, and onion (lots and lots of each plus garlic for my family) is such a wonderful and versatile way to tenderize as well as flavor any cut of meat suitable for braising. I use it especially with unbreaded cuts for milanesa, pierna de puerco, pulpa de res, and piezas de pollo, and my own homemade jerky. Since it makes its own gravy, it serves up nicely with tortillas or rice or potatoes, according to which members of my family are joining me.

With the thin slices of beef I sometimes add a sliced green sweet pepper and it cooks up just like the famous"grillades and grits" we used to enjoy for breakfast in New Orleans. Interesting how similar French and Mexican dishes can be!

sergiogomez

Nov 2, 2009, 9:01 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Another wonderful meal, muy mexicana

You're making me hungry! I would ask about "grillades and grits," since I'm not familiar with Louisiana cooking, but I'm afraid that would get us an off-topic lockdown.

Carron

Nov 3, 2009, 7:51 AM

Post #6 of 7 (4886 views)

Shortcut

Not really off-topic at all. "Grillades" are a traditional French breakfast dish made by browning thin slices of lean beef (cut just as for Milanesa and dustede lightly with flour) in lard or butter, with onions, garlic, sweet bell peppers and tomatoes, a pinch of cayenne pepper, then covered and braised with a little water or wine until tender and the flavors are well blended. Obviously makes its own gravy. Serve with grits instead of rice or tortillas.

tashby

Nov 3, 2009, 9:41 AM

Post #7 of 7 (4867 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Another wonderful meal, muy mexicana

This is interesting to me because, as ever, I'm confused.

The first time I ever had machaca, and the best I've ever had, was in a restaurant in South Tucson. It sounds like it was very similar to what you describe, though the dish did include egg. I've ordered it at least a handful of times in Mexico, but it's never been the same. And just yesterday, at a "gourmet" shop in Ajijic, I noticed the powdery form you describe.

Is that what distinguishes it as Sinaloa style? That it's still a bit chunky? I want to know how to keep my eyes open for it. Any restaurants in Guadalajara serve it this way?

I wish I had a giant plate of it in front of me right now. Maybe I'll just buy a cheap ticket on VivaAerobus to Culiacan, an idea I was toying with just yesterday.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4