Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gpkgto

Oct 27, 2009, 2:28 PM

Post #1 of 45 (6957 views)

Shortcut

Cleanest citiies in Mexico news item

Can't Post | Private Reply
(see below) with gold medal prizes awarded to Izamal, Yucatan; Benito Juarez, Quintana Roo; Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes and Culiacan, Sinaloa.
Silver medal recipients were: Chihuahua, Chihuahua; Tulum, Quintana Roo; Tulancingo, Hidalgo; Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas; Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas; Morelia, Michoacan; Acajete, Puebla; Queretaro, Queretaro; and Colima, Colima.

Mexico's Environmental Ministry and Grupo Salinas Award 'Las Ciudades Mas Limpias de Mexico' Prize to Foment Anti-Litter Campaigns
Posted : Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:04:03 GMT
Author : Grupo Salinas; SEMARNAT; Fundacion Azteca; TV Azteca; Grupo Elektra
Category : Press Release
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/mexicos-environmental-ministry-and-grupo,1016486.shtml
Ricardo B. Salinas Pliego Announces that "Limpiemos Nuestro Mexico" Will Be a Permanent, Ongoing Anti-Litter Campaign MEXICO CITY, Oct. 27
MEXICO CITY, Oct. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of an ongoing effort to clean up Mexico, the Minister of the Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT) Juan Rafael Elvira Quesada and Grupo Salinas Founder and Chairman Ricardo B. Salinas Pliego awarded yesterday winners of the "Ciudades Mas Limpias de Mexico", "Recicla 2009" and "Lideres ambientales de la Comunidad" contests as part of the "Limpiemos Nuestro Mexico" campaign.

On March 25 of this year, Grupo Salinas and its Fundacion Azteca teamed up with SEMARNAT, inviting Mexican society to join the "Limpiemos Nuestro Mexico" campaign to increase awareness of the problem of waste control and possible solutions.
The "Limpiemos Nuestro Mexico" national cleanup day was held on May 31, with more than one million people participating in the collection of 3,500 tons of garbage.
As a follow-up, in July the guidelines were published for the "Ciudades Mas Limpias de Mexico", "Recicla 2009" and "Lideres Ambientales de la Comunidad" contests.
The "Ciudades Mas Limpias de Mexico" contest targets municipal governments throughout Mexico, as well as delegation offices in Mexico City to promote best practices for cleaning streets, beaches, parks and forests, with gold medal prizes awarded to Izamal, Yucatan; Benito Juarez, Quintana Roo; Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes and Culiacan, Sinaloa.
Silver medal recipients were: Chihuahua, Chihuahua; Tulum, Quintana Roo; Tulancingo, Hidalgo; Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas; Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas; Morelia, Michoacan; Acajete, Puebla; Queretaro, Queretaro; and Colima, Colima.

TigerTonio

Oct 27, 2009, 2:41 PM

Post #2 of 45 (6929 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Cleanest citiies in Mexico news item

Thanks for posting -- this is great! Good thing they didn't factor in graffiti! ;-)

Hound Dog

Oct 27, 2009, 4:07 PM

Post #3 of 45 (6908 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] Cleanest citiies in Mexico news item

Thanks for posting -- this is great! Good thing they didn't factor in graffiti! ;-)

It impresses me what you know about Mexico yáll. Tell me what you know about the winner, Izamal, Yucatan guys. Give me a composite view of that town . It happens that Dawg has been in Izamal so tell me all about why that town is
the cleanest town in Mexico and explain to me why you are so sure it deserves that accolade. I eagerly await your learned response.

I particularly would like to hear a detailed description of the beautiful city of Izamal and a point-by-point explanation of why that small regional city is the cleanest city in all of Mexico but that is not going to happen now is it folks.

Unbearable ignorance magnified by manifest illogic. Mind boggling.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 27, 2009, 4:21 PM)

TigerTonio

Oct 27, 2009, 4:17 PM

Post #4 of 45 (6900 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Cleanest citiies in Mexico news item

I guess I should reply since you quoted me. I haven't a clue about Izamal, Yucatan, nor do I know a thing about sak-o-xit, Chiapas. Oh my stars and garters, do fill us in before this thread explodes.

(This post was edited by TigerTonio on Oct 27, 2009, 4:17 PM)

yucatandreamer

Oct 27, 2009, 4:20 PM

Post #5 of 45 (6893 views)

Shortcut

I am pretty sure that it is "clean" because it is all yellow. It is also pretty small and easy to keep up. They have done an excellent job of keeping it looking pretty much like it always did. (Though I remember seeing it about 30 years ago and the only yellow building was the church and the ruins were a large mound of rubble) It has always been a tourist spot for foreigners and Yucatecos alike. I was actually surprised not to see Campeche, Campeche on the list. We always comment at how much cleaner and more attractive it is kept than Merida. And Campeche is actually much more of a working real city than Izamal.

Hound Dog

Oct 27, 2009, 4:50 PM

Post #6 of 45 (6881 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Cleanest citiies in Mexico news item

I am pretty sure that it is "clean" because it is all yellow. It is also pretty small and easy to keep up. They have done an excellent job of keeping it looking pretty much like it always did. (Though I remember seeing it about 30 years ago and the only yellow building was the church and the ruins were a large mound of rubble) It has always been a tourist spot for foreigners and Yucatecos alike. I was actually surprised not to see Campeche, Campeche on the list. We always comment at how much cleaner and more attractive it is kept than Merida. And Campeche is actually much more of a working real city than Izamal.

Actually, YD, I like would agree with you that Campeche, Campeche is a beautiful and clean colonial city with unusual and distinguished architectural achievement but the problem witn that town which reached its apex a couple of hundred years ago is that it is unbelievably boring and the kind of place that all you can think of is getting the hell out of there as soon as possible and fronting just about the ugliest Gulf Coast beaches Dawg has ever laid eyes on and dawg has been to Galveston an uglier place than which has never existed.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 27, 2009, 4:53 PM)

Camille

Oct 27, 2009, 5:59 PM

Post #7 of 45 (6849 views)

Shortcut

Hell, Dawg, you ever been to Beaumont?????

tonyburton / Moderator

Oct 27, 2009, 6:14 PM

Post #8 of 45 (6843 views)

Shortcut

Ahh... but Campeche has the best, the very best 'queso napolitano' in all of Mexico.

tonyburton / Moderator

Oct 27, 2009, 6:19 PM

Post #9 of 45 (6839 views)

Shortcut

These awards were based on the following (I'll leave you to do your own translation):

La presentación de los documentos se realizará tomando en consideración los siguientes criterios:
  1. Reseña del proyecto de limpieza y de tratamiento de residuos.
  2. Participación en la campaña de recolección de basura del 31 de mayo de 2009, organizada por la Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales y Fundación Azteca.
  3. Normatividad para dar solución al problema de la basura y el tratamiento de los residuos.
  4. Informe de resultados 2009 y expectativas de resultados 2010.
  5. Fomento a la participación ciudadana.
[direct quote from http://www.limpiemosnuestromexico.com/politicas-limpia.html]

So, I'm not quite sure that "Cleanest city in Mexico" is quite right since the decision was apparently not made on aesthetics but on plans and recycling etc.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Oct 27, 2009, 6:20 PM)

Hound Dog

Oct 27, 2009, 6:38 PM

Post #10 of 45 (6827 views)

Shortcut

"....nor do I know a thing about sak-o-xit, Chiapas."

How is it that I have created this hatred trail for Chiapas by speaking repeatedly of it in positive tones? The resentment is palpable and vociferous and unlimited. It´s not just this Tiger whom I do not know and I question why, even though he might rightly resent Dawg who is an obnoxious pedant, he would transfer that resentment to Chiapas, the poorest state in the union and a place where pedantry is uncommon and disregarded. Just because Dawg is a jerk does not make Chiapas a "sak-o-xit", a poorly phrased vulgarism if there ever was one.

Perhaps I am not this state´s greatest champion.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 27, 2009, 6:40 PM)

bournemouth

Oct 27, 2009, 6:44 PM

Post #11 of 45 (6826 views)

Shortcut

Well Bubba, at least you know who you are - and that's a step in the right direction.

Hound Dog

Oct 27, 2009, 6:53 PM

Post #12 of 45 (6817 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Cleanest citiies in Mexico news item

I'm not quite sure that "Cleanest city in Mexico" is quite right since the decision was apparently not made on aesthetics but on plans and recycling etc.

Which reminds of another thing and I must request that people reading on from here read on with their minds as well as their eyes.

Cleanliness is in the eye of the beholder and our human eyes see very little of the micoscopic creatures that most endanger us.

We buy in San Cristóbal de Las Casas the purified water most probably the safest for us to drink and so when we moved there we bought the purified water processed by the most famous of all international soft drink manufacturers and distributors and then one day their water made thousands of consumers sick so there you have it.

Drink tequila.

Hound Dog

Oct 27, 2009, 6:57 PM

Post #13 of 45 (6814 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Cleanest citiies in Mexico news item

Well Bubba, at least you know who you are - and that's a step in the right direction.

And, Bridget, you are also moving in the right direction. Welcome aboard.

TigerTonio

Oct 27, 2009, 7:39 PM

Post #14 of 45 (6787 views)

Shortcut

Hmmm...not sure how this quote feature works.

Bubba aka Dawg, you should know by now that I'm one of your biggest fans here, no matter how foul your online personality becomes.

In regards to Chiapas, I surely jest. I would *love* to visit Chiapas!

(This post was edited by TigerTonio on Oct 27, 2009, 7:43 PM)

Hound Dog

Oct 27, 2009, 7:42 PM

Post #15 of 45 (6777 views)

Shortcut

Well, damn, Tiger. You go off and be nice to me and now I feel like a jerk for attacking you but the reality is this is all a game to me and I think , to you as well and I didn´t mean it so what the hell.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 27, 2009, 7:50 PM)

Judy in Ags

Oct 27, 2009, 7:46 PM

Post #16 of 45 (6768 views)

Shortcut

One of the things we noticed about Aguascalientes when we first entered the city in 2001 was the cleanliness. They do continue to do a good job to keep it a pretty clean city.

Axixic

Oct 27, 2009, 7:50 PM

Post #17 of 45 (6766 views)

Shortcut

Dawg, Texas might have some loser spots and loser people but we don't have a former child star who played the inbred banjo player in the movie Deliverance and grew up to be a U.S. Senator like your Jeff Sessions of Alabama. Jeff Sessions explains it all about Alabama.

Hound Dog

Oct 27, 2009, 8:01 PM

Post #18 of 45 (6761 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PamelaDelafield] Cleanest citiies in Mexico news item

Dawg, Texas might have some loser spots and loser people but we don't have a former child star who played the inbred banjo player in the movie Deliverance and grew up to be a U.S. Senator like your Jeff Sessions of Alabama. Jeff Sessions explains it all about Alabama.

Pamela Darlin´:

Dawg does not live in Alabama and has not done so since 1965 but uses his youth in Alabama as a basis for what he hopes are stories grounded in the incessant growth of kudzu as far as the eye can see and cheap whiskey and cracklins and other entertaining trivia and I realize that there are times when my tales offend some not inclined to enjoy them but that´s their problem but you should hear the tales I could tell, from The Haight.

Jeff Sessions is a moron. Alabama is a cotton patch of the mind. The United States is a bummer to anyone over the age of 13.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 27, 2009, 9:32 PM)

joannar

Oct 27, 2009, 8:25 PM

Post #19 of 45 (6744 views)

Shortcut

Yay! We made it, twice, on that list!! I must say that I was surprised to see Tuxtla there, and oh so happy to see our town of Chiapa on there. But once I read what went into to choosing the cleanest city, it made a little more sense. Chiapa is a nice town, but I have definitely seen cleaner. Tuxtla is doing a bang up job of publicizing it´s recycling programs and clean air, etc. I just am not sure it is getting done! Anyway, it is always good for Chiapa de Corzo to get some publicity, as we live in the freezing shadow which is San Cristobal.

Hound Dog

Oct 27, 2009, 9:40 PM

Post #20 of 45 (6720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joannar] Cleanest citiies in Mexico news item

"...it is always good for Chiapa de Corzo to get some publicity, as we live in the freezing shadow which is San Cristobal."

Dawg is freezing his ass off just thinking about it.

Gringal

Oct 28, 2009, 8:51 AM

Post #21 of 45 (6643 views)

Shortcut

Ah Dawg...you wanna know how you "created" this "hatred" for San Cristobal de las Casas, do ya? Simple. No sooner did you acquire your second home there than you started your incessant bashing of Lakeside, it's people and it's food.
People get to resentin' this sort of home town dissing.............and thus, wondering what could be so dang wonderful about that freeze-your-tushie mountain wonder. Bleaaaah, they say. Who needs it? So, there ya go.

Hound Dog

Oct 28, 2009, 9:11 AM

Post #22 of 45 (6636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Cleanest citiies in Mexico news item

Ah Dawg...you wanna know how you "created" this "hatred" for San Cristobal de las Casas, do ya? Simple. No sooner did you acquire your second home there than you started your incessant bashing of Lakeside, it's people and it's food.
People get to resentin' this sort of home town dissing.............and thus, wondering what could be so dang wonderful about that freeze-your-tushie mountain wonder. Bleaaaah, they say. Who needs it? So, there ya go.

Actually Gringal I disagree with you. I think it is my smug way of communicating that offends others. Dawg is not blessed with social grace and is scarred with approbrium. I should probably stop posting but that ain´t gone happen unless they expell me as has happened in the past. Live with it or,perhaps, forego reading Dawg´s posts.

Dawg

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 28, 2009, 9:20 AM)

Gringal

Oct 28, 2009, 9:47 AM

Post #23 of 45 (6623 views)

Shortcut

Smug? How about "delusions of royalty"?

San Cristobal sounds like a fine town........but for many of us, that kind of altitude and remote location isn't an option, so what's the point of bloviating about it as though it were heaven and this were the other place?

You can be as ascerbic as the mods will allow........I enjoy your posts, even when I disagree. At least they are entertaining, which justifies practically anything else.

Carron

Oct 28, 2009, 10:31 AM

Post #24 of 45 (6606 views)

Shortcut

If you are not Chiapas' first champion, then I surely am.

joannar

Oct 28, 2009, 11:28 AM

Post #25 of 45 (6586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Cleanest citiies in Mexico news item

I lived in SCLC for a while, about a year, but met my husband who was from Tuxtla, so we moved. I was horrified at the thought of leaving the mountains, cool air, etc., but would never go back for a million dollars!! I am absolutely in love with Chiapa de Corzo. I even like Tuxtla a lot now. I lived there for over a year, and was not that happy. I have definitely found my home here in Chiapa. Even my Swedish mother doesn´t mind the heat here because the town and the people are out of this world! So I would also like to name myself first Champion for Chiapas.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4