Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

punta4

Oct 26, 2009, 8:32 AM

Post #1 of 4 (4825 views)

Shortcut

Home-based cell phones in remote areas

Can't Post | Private Reply
After many years of planning, we are retiring and making our full time move to a remote part of Baja Sur next month. Our satellite internet is up and running but because of the Starband sat. locations we are on the edge of reception which makes VOIP phone like Skype a poor choice for reliable phone service because of long transmission delays and drop outs.

The nearest cell repeater is 2 hrs down the dirt road and if cell phones work at all, it's only before dawn and at night. The only people who have reliable cell service around the pueblo are those with an antenna on their roof and some type of desk top cell phone. I've been trying to research this type of set up but am not sure of the proper terminology to shop for.

Anybody have one, or familiar with this type of cell phone equipment for rural home phones in Mexico?

johnv

Oct 26, 2009, 10:10 AM

Post #2 of 4 (4796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [punta4] Home-based cell phones in remote areas

Cellular Solutions is a company that specializes in exactly what you need: http://www.mycellularsolutions.com/index.html . They are very helpful over the phone and by email.

(This post was edited by johnv on Oct 26, 2009, 10:12 AM)

punta4

Oct 26, 2009, 7:34 PM

Post #3 of 4 (4756 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] Home-based cell phones in remote areas

Thank you johnv.

I was hoping to learn what telcel compatible cell/desktop GSM phones would adapt to a home rootop antenna so I could pick up the antenna from an online source such as the one you mentioned. I guess the best bet is to see if I can find a home base station phone at a telcel store in Mex and then look for an antenna for it on our next trip back to the US.

johnv

Oct 26, 2009, 8:20 PM

Post #4 of 4 (4751 views)

Shortcut

Re: [punta4] Home-based cell phones in remote areas

I would call Cellular Solutions and ask for advice. The one time I called them a very technical savvy person discussed my needs for close to 15 minutes. I would go with one of their antennas and a signal amplifier. As for the phone you speak of I would not count on finding it in Mexico. Use Google to find the phone, then order it.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4