Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Linda in Morelia

Oct 23, 2009, 5:34 AM

Post #1 of 9 (15878 views)

Shortcut

Car shopping in Guadalajara/Chapala area

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are planning a trip to the Guadalajara area in a few weeks to shop for a used car. We are looking for a 3 to 5 year old Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV. If anyone knows of any such cars for sale, please let me know. Also, if anyone knows of reputable car dealers who might have these vehicles, we'd love to hear about them

Muchas gracias!

Linda

Peter

Oct 23, 2009, 6:11 AM

Post #2 of 9 (15873 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Linda in Morelia] Car shopping in Guadalajara/Chapala area

Reputable used car dealers? That's asking a lot. I have friends with car lots in Lázaro Cárdenes, they can sell them for more there. They buy many cars in Santiago del Valle, Guanajuato at a type of swap meet for autos. It is not far from Morelia and probably worthwhile to check out. I have seen my friends purchase many good condition, late model cars and camionetas there.

Have you checked out our auto swap meet here in Morelia just off La Huerta? I have other friends that go there every Sunday to buy and sell.

bournemouth

Oct 23, 2009, 6:54 AM

Post #3 of 9 (15864 views)

Shortcut

You might contact S & S Autos in Riberas del Pilar, Chapala and see what they have, in advance of your trip here. Spencer handles all kinds of cars and has a good reputation - he also works with the dealers in Guadalajara:

http://www.ssauto.com.mx/contact.html

Linda in Morelia

Oct 23, 2009, 7:32 AM

Post #4 of 9 (15858 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Car shopping in Guadalajara/Chapala area

Thanks, Peter. I wonder how risky it is to buy a car at an auto swap meet. In theory, if you received the factura original and evidence of paid tenencias, I suppose it would be ok. On the other hand, I wonder how common it is to find fraudulent facturas originales. For stolen cars, are swap meets a good place to unload them?

If you can vouch for the honesty of your friends who have car lots in Lazaro Cardenas, we would be interested in knowing who they are and any web sites or contact info for them. Thanks.

Peter

Oct 23, 2009, 7:46 AM

Post #5 of 9 (15853 views)

Shortcut

Websites, no. I will make contact with the father who lives here in Morelia and is also a partner in the auto lot. Those I know who purchase from the swap meets would have the same problem as you but have not reported any difficulties to me. I'll get back to you when I have something.

esperanza

Oct 23, 2009, 7:49 AM

Post #6 of 9 (15853 views)

Shortcut

You might want to have a look here as well: http://[i]http://aviso.informador.com.mx/resultados?search=&buscar.x=57&buscar.y=8&sec=Autos&adv=0&idCategoria=0&idMarca=0&resultadosPagina=20[/i]

There is also a weekly vehicle tianguis in Guadalajara, just south of the Hotel Tapatío on the Guadalajara/Chapala highway.

S&S at Lake Chapala charges an arm and a leg to find you a car.

There are a lot of used car dealers along Avenida Camelinas in Morelia. Most of them sell relatively late model, higher-end cars. I can't vouch for anyone's honesty, but it seems to me that it would be simpler (and certainly less expensive) to look there for a used car with Michoacán plates. It's moderately complicated and moderately expensive to change license plates from one state to another. Been there, done that.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Oct 23, 2009, 7:50 AM)

gpkgto

Oct 23, 2009, 7:49 AM

Post #7 of 9 (15850 views)

Shortcut

Car dealerships sell used cars and generally can be trusted.

Linda in Morelia

Oct 23, 2009, 8:00 AM

Post #8 of 9 (15843 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Car shopping in Guadalajara/Chapala area

Thanks so much, Cristina. I never thought about the change in license plates from one state to another. We will check out local sources.

judithnpups

Oct 23, 2009, 5:58 PM

Post #9 of 9 (15801 views)

Shortcut

When I had my Honda Element (now that would have been a good buy for you*) and again when I was car shopping, I found the sales reps and the service manager at the Morelia Honda dealership to be very professional. I would recommend checking with them for a used CRV. It would probably come with a warranty, and you could feel secure knowing the title was clear.

* My 1996 Element was in mint condition with only 26,000 miles on it when I drove it to Texas to sell to a Honda dealer. If only I could have sold it in Mexico! It had many admirers, but, alas, it was here with a temporary import sticker and couldn't be sold in Mexico.
Judith in the DF (formerly in Morelia)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4