Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

badgerdozer

Oct 20, 2009, 2:34 PM

Post #1 of 15 (5094 views)

Shortcut

Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja. If so what are the import fees if any.

gpkgto

Oct 20, 2009, 2:53 PM

Post #2 of 15 (5085 views)

Shortcut

Re: [badgerdozer] Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja.

In Mexico, Cuban cigars are legal. Why would someone want an inferior cigar shipped from the US?

mexliving

Oct 20, 2009, 9:38 PM

Post #3 of 15 (5049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja.

you can get some cuban cigars at SANBORN'S wich is like mervins in the usa.... plenty of choices...

Zorba

Oct 20, 2009, 11:16 PM

Post #4 of 15 (5030 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja.

Personally, I would recommend you get some San Andres cigars from the state of Veracruz. You can
get them at Sanborns. Absolutely no need to import cigars to Mexico. Your choices are much better withing Mexico.

(This post was edited by Zorba on Oct 20, 2009, 11:17 PM)

Peter

Oct 21, 2009, 6:15 AM

Post #5 of 15 (5010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zorba] Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja.

It is probable I'd be considered to have very lowbrow taste in cigars and tobacco products. I have been wanting someone from the US to send me some Backwoods Smokes, the rather sweet tasting stogies made in the Dominican Republic, they are not available here anywhere I have looked. Sanborns has some cheap small cigars of the variety I like to call Clint Eastwoods that suffice for now, I don't smoke them often.

I used to bring cigars with me, probably over the limit somewhat, but always got the greenlight. Same with a bag of tobacco for rolling cigarettes as I was accustomed to doing back there as it is not available except in inferior, over-priced pipe tobacco form which does not produce a very good cigarette. In all, tobacco products are not available here in the selection or varieties in the US though it is true that Cuban cigars are available here. Those are rather costly and too rich for my blood but cigarettes are very cheap compared to the cost NOB.

There are definitely limits on how many cigars you can bring here without paying import fees but it has been a long time since I've left Mexico and don't remember the number but it's not many.

Rolly

Oct 21, 2009, 6:26 AM

Post #6 of 15 (5006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja.

25 cigars

Rolly Pirate

Zarcero

Oct 21, 2009, 6:27 AM

Post #7 of 15 (5003 views)

Shortcut

Cuban Cigars in Mexico

The majority of Cuban cigars sold in Mexico are counterfeit. Unless you are purchasing from a La Casa del Habano (LCDH) store, beware. The LCDH stores are the official franchise of Cuba for selling cigars outside of Cuba.

mexliving

Oct 21, 2009, 6:14 PM

Post #8 of 15 (4961 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zarcero] Cuban Cigars in Mexico

you better hurry up and find a source for those flavored cigars.. in the usa they are being faced out .... they will no longer sell those type of flavored cigars..

badgerdozer

Oct 21, 2009, 7:27 PM

Post #9 of 15 (4943 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja.

I must have not made my question clear. I have a home in Los Barriles, Mx.
I bring cigars I buy from the internet because there are no moderately priced cigars here. I do not spend over 4.50 for a cigar. Here they are all advertized as Cubans and may or not be, and they certainly are not kept in a good humidor.
I have brought 400 cigars when I drive down and never been questioned. When I fly I do nt try to bring that many.
So again my question is: Does anyone know the rules.

Peter

Oct 22, 2009, 6:40 AM

Post #10 of 15 (4912 views)

Shortcut

So again my question is: Does anyone know the rules.

I believe Rolly answered the question - 25 cigars.

bournemouth

Oct 22, 2009, 6:48 AM

Post #11 of 15 (4907 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja.

Rolly is absolutely right and here it is from the customs web site:

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/pasajeros/139_10210.html

badgerdozer

Oct 22, 2009, 10:22 AM

Post #12 of 15 (4881 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja.

My you can't see it, but my face is red. I missed the 25 cigars at the top of Rolly's Post. Just saw the part about going to his web site. Thanks for the info, you have a great site here. I found it by googling my question.

In Reply To

badgerdozer

Oct 22, 2009, 10:28 AM

Post #13 of 15 (4872 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja.

I went to the web site, it appears to be regarding what you can take with you on the plane. Is it the same for mailing items to a Mexico address.

Manuel Dexterity

Oct 22, 2009, 10:37 AM

Post #14 of 15 (4868 views)

Shortcut

The 25 cigar limit is what is included in the personal goods limit for travelers enetering the country. No one yet has answered the OP.

Peter

Oct 23, 2009, 5:57 AM

Post #15 of 15 (4835 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Manuel Dexterity] Is it legal to ship cigars from US to Baja.

In Reply To
The 25 cigar limit is what is included in the personal goods limit for travelers enetering the country. No one yet has answered the OP.

I am not an authority on such matters but it seems the simple answer to his question is, NO. One can bring a limited number of certain articles like cigars for personal consumption but not for import. Could be there it is in fact legal to import them but stiff duties must be paid to keep it all above board. What I have stated is not according to any law I can quote but from what it seems to me to be.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4