Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Qdebra7

Oct 22, 2009, 1:47 PM

Post #1 of 4 (4932 views)

Shortcut

Telcel PC card

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm wanting to get information on using a plug in PC card to access the internet while on the road. We'll be traveling through a large portion of Mexico, all the way from Nogales, down to San Carlos, Puerto Vallarta and into Mexico City. Do they work throughout the states/ or do you need to buy in a specific state (Nayarit or Jalisco)? Are they slow or fast? Any info would be most appreciated!

johnv

Oct 23, 2009, 7:40 PM

Post #2 of 4 (4895 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Qdebra7] Telcel PC card

I have not used a PC card of any variety, here or anywhere, however, I have researched the subject. My findings were that Iusacel, another Mexican provider of PC cards and cellular service, has been in the business longer than Telcel, and they use a different technology called cdma, which affords a faster internet connection speed. The question is, what is their coverage area. I know that they do not cover Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca. Here in Guanajuato however, Iusacel phones work fine in the Sierra de Santa Rosa, with no signal whatsoever on a Telcel cell phone. The name of Iusacel's cellular internet service is called "Iusacel Bam". (Bam = banda ancha movil) The subject can be googled, but it is in Spanish.

yucatandreamer

Oct 24, 2009, 6:02 AM

Post #3 of 4 (4871 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Qdebra7] Telcel PC card

You are not having much luck. Try http://www.yolisto.com/ This is a Yucatan forum site which seems to have quite a few people from the Gulf Coast of the Yucatan. Some of these people use the Telcel 3G as their internet connection so they would probably help you. It is a free site so check it out.

Qdebra7

Oct 24, 2009, 9:22 AM

Post #4 of 4 (4858 views)

Shortcut

Re: Telcel PC card

Sounds like Iusasel is worth looking into. I did Google their service and people seem pleased with it. Their coverage is all over the US too! I'll check with other forums too. Thanks!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4