Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Marlene / Moderator

Oct 21, 2009, 2:36 PM

Post #1 of 7 (4951 views)

Shortcut

Tropical Storm RICK

Can't Post | Private Reply
A few days ago Rick was a Cat. 5 Hurricane causing much concern off the coast of Mexico. Over a short time it was downgraded to a Tropical Storm, and early this morning slammed into the coast very near Mazatlan. This is one powerful storm, even in downgraded form, and has caused a good deal of damage. It's passed us by now.

Many residents are without water, electricity or telephone (or cable TV!) Parks with beautiful old trees are in ruins in some areas. The waves were incredibly high and dangerous this morning but Cabo San Lucas was miraculously spared a hit, which was a nice change for them. Rick is now travelling over land at an increased rate of speed. Hope it doesn't affect too many more people as it goes.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Oct 21, 2009, 3:02 PM)

bournemouth

Oct 21, 2009, 2:49 PM

Post #2 of 7 (4943 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Tropical Storm Bill

Marlene - wasn't that/isn't that Hurricane, now tropical storm, Rick - not Bill. I think we passed that part of the alphabet back in the early days of the season.

I hope all is well at your house.

Marlene / Moderator

Oct 21, 2009, 3:01 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4932 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Tropical Storm Bill

Ooops.. Thanks, I will edit my post. See what staying up all night storm watching and picking up flying debris does for the brain? LOL Making hurricane shelters out of cardboard boxes for the street animals is quite a project in the pouring down rain. hehe

bournemouth

Oct 21, 2009, 3:28 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4923 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Tropical Storm Bill

What a great thing to do - shelters for animals. They get forgotten in the rush to protect what we have - thanks for doing that.

Marlene / Moderator

Oct 21, 2009, 7:13 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4896 views)

Shortcut

Re: Tropical Storm RICK

Here are pictures of what Mazatlan looked like today, as well as a YouTube video which began recording about 3 a.m. when the storm had seriously kicked in. The damage was fairly substantial and we lost many old trees. Some landed on cars.

http://www.noroeste.com.mx/...75&foto=44756812

http://www.noroeste.com.mx/...2686&id_seccion=

morgaine7

Oct 21, 2009, 9:19 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Tropical Storm RICK

Wow, that looks bad! For a while it appeared that Rick was going to pass over us in La Paz while still a strong hurricane, but it slowed down and turned farther south. We got some heavy rain but no wind to speak of. I hope there won't be casualties in Mazatlan. The property damage is serious enough.

Kate

Rolly

Oct 22, 2009, 10:15 AM

Post #7 of 7 (4843 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Tropical Storm RICK

Far away from the path if Rick, my poor little Lerdo is about to feel it's punch. The storm dropped so much water in the mountains that drain into our Rio Nazas that the two dams are full. The water people are about to open the flood gates again this year and make another life-threatening flood just like last year. Only this time the authorities are making as much preparation as they can -- lessons learned from last year.

We still have 24 families in Lerdo who have refused to move from the sinkhole area. Maybe this time they'll get out of harm's way.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4