Oct 16, 2009, 6:44 PM
Post #2 of 14
here is a handfull of things to see and do while in VERACRUZ... it has some serious history behind the state.....
Re: [gpkisner] First visit to Veracruz Nov 17
Can't Post | Private Reply
Short Trips Around Town (3 Hours)
- Take a tour of the old Spanish fort of San Juan de Ulua,listen to the story of Chucho El Roto, Mexico´s Robin Hood, and see where Sir Francis Drake lost his ships. It´s a good idea to hire one of the guides, otherwise it will only look like a bunch of old rocks and empty rooms.
- Typical Market Exploration. The Fish Market and Hidalgo Markets. Plan on a delicious lunch with regional specialties.
- Need a haircut while you are here? Go to Miguelito´s Barber Shop and find out about local politics, history, and music. He plays a great selection of trios, salsa, and danzón music, and speaks a little English. After 5 minutes you´ll feel like a regular customer.
- Dance along with the construction workers and maids, and learn the timeless Danzón on a Sunday in the Parque Zamora. Or weekend evenings on the Plaza de la Constitución.
- Boat Trips in a native launch by the hour to Reefs and Islands. There are also mangrove swamps near Mandinga. Great Seafood Lunch. Endangered species observations,
- Tour the Barrios of Veracruz. Join in the local life. You will feel different afterwards.
Longer Trips (5 Hours)
- Most guide books are incomplete and are sometimes wrong. Before you come, be sure to read the History of Veracruz.
- Quiahuiztlán and Villa Rica is where the first Veracruz was located. It was the second Veracruz, and where Montezuma´s gold was loaded on the ships to Spain.
- Be sure to visit timeless Antigua, Veracruz. It was the second Veracruz, and where Montezuma´s gold was loaded on the ships to Spain.
- Visit Alvarado and Tlacotalpan along the Papaloapan River. You won´t many tourists and the people are friendly.
- There are other out of the way places like Paso de Ovejas along the Third Camino Real.
- Trip to old hacienda at Boca del Monte. Enjoy good country cooking. See the bullet holes from the Revolution in the backyard.
- The French Foreign Legion Monument in El Camarón. It´s the only place in the Western Hemisphere where the French Foreign Legion was defeated.
- Relaxing thermal baths and restored hacienda. in El Carrizal,
- If you are fortunate, catch a performance of the Voladores at the pyramids in Cempoala, Veracruz.
Longer Trips(7 Hours)
- Tlacotepec de Mejía, a quiet village along the wool route to Spain. Nestled among the coffee and cinnamon trees about 2 hours from Veracruz in the land of eternal spring.
Longer Trips (Plan on All Day or Overnight)
- A day trip or overnight trip to Playa Hermosa and Montepío to visit some of the best unspoiled beaches on the Gulf of Mexico.
Have I left anything out?