Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

raferguson

Oct 16, 2009, 10:57 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2566 views)

Shortcut

Registering cell phones?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I understand that Mexico is registering cell phones. Prepaid cell phones were sometimes used by criminals, so Mexico is trying to know/register every cell phone, so they know who is using it. Apparently they compare your registration with your CURP. (Clave Unica de Registro de Poblacion.)

How does this work for residents of Mexico? How does it work for visitors to Mexico? Am I going to have trouble buying a SIM card for my upcoming trip?

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

johanson / Moderator

Oct 16, 2009, 11:44 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2560 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Registering cell phones?

This is not quite what you asked but I had to register my cellphone. Because I do not have a CURP # I took my passport and FM-3 to the telcel office and they used one or both, I don't remember to register my cellphone.

joaquinx

Oct 16, 2009, 2:26 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2551 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Registering cell phones?

In Reply To

How does this work for residents of Mexico? How does it work for visitors to Mexico? Am I going to have trouble buying a SIM card for my upcoming trip?

For residents, there is instructions at the Telcel http://www.telcel.com/...;_pageLabel=HomePage click on "Registro Nacional" for instructions.

If you buy a chip/phone after April 2009, you will be registered at the time you purchase the chip/phone.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Brian

Oct 16, 2009, 3:35 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2545 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Registering cell phones?

I really can't see how this is supposed to cutdown on crime. In fact, I think it would just increase it. If I were a criminal, and needed to use a cellphone that couldn't be traced to me, I think I would just rob the first person on the street with a cellphone and use that. There is so much corruption that any system can be compromised. The Director of Drivers Licenses in Tijuana recently made the mistake of putting El Teo's real photo on a license with, of course, a different name. Needless to say, he won't be making any more mistakes.

Brian

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4