Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Vichil

Oct 15, 2009, 3:50 PM

Post #1 of 20 (15025 views)

Shortcut

How do I type the sign arobat @

Can't Post | Private Reply
How do I type @ in Word (the program)?
I have a key board where the @sign is on the same key as the Q. On the internet I can push the key ALT GR and the Q and type a @, it does not seem to work in WORD. What am I missing?

Papirex

Oct 15, 2009, 6:07 PM

Post #2 of 20 (15015 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] How do I type the sign arobat @

On most of the older Spanish keyboards you must press and hold the Alt and CTRL key on the right hand side of the keyboard, and the press the Q key to get the @. I have always heard Mexicans call the @ the arroba.

Remember, you can press either ALT key, but you must press the CTRL key on the right hand side of the keyboard. I used to use my cuñados computer and I had to use that method. I later bought a new desktop and loaded XP Pro in English in it, and it worked normally by pressing the shift key and the 2 key to get the @.

I bought a new desktop a couple of years ago with XP Pro in English in it, and formatted the hard drive in my old desktop and loaded XP Pro in Spanish in it for my wife to use. With the Spanish language XP Pro OS in it, it reverted to using The Q key to get the @ so I know how to do it.

I used to use Word and I don't remember having any trouble getting the @ to print.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Vichil

Oct 16, 2009, 9:00 AM

Post #3 of 20 (14983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] How do I type the sign arobat @

Thanks for the Spanish spelling of the @ symbol. I used the French spelling since I did not know the Spanish one and as the two languages are pretty close , I figure someone would understand.

I have no problem on Internet typing the @ by depressing ALT GR but it does not work in WORD and tried all your recommandations, nothing worked. On the key board the @ is on the lower left of the Q button so I tried the Alt Control The Alt GR like I would on a French keyboard to do the accent but nothing has worked so far.

No problem on Mexconnect to type the @ only on Word-

John Shrall

Oct 16, 2009, 10:31 AM

Post #4 of 20 (14968 views)

Shortcut

Hold down the Alt key, then on the 10 key pad press 6, then 4 and finally release the Alt key.

Vichil

Oct 16, 2009, 12:55 PM

Post #5 of 20 (14956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Shrall] How do I type the sign arobat @

Thanks but it does not work. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop so no 10 key pad, if I try it with the nummbes at the top, it does not work.

I have a computer technician who is bringing me back my desktop computer and I will let you know what works just in case it happens to you.
This is really strange.

Rolly

Oct 16, 2009, 1:33 PM

Post #6 of 20 (14951 views)

Shortcut

There is a little free program that makes it easy to do all you want and much more.

http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

¿? ¡! é ñ ½ ¼ ¾ and more in Word or on the internet.

Rolly Pirate

John Shrall

Oct 16, 2009, 2:39 PM

Post #7 of 20 (14941 views)

Shortcut

On your laptop you have a blue Fn (function) key usually sandwiched between the Ctrl and Alt keys. You'll also see blue numbers or numbers inset on the keys to the right of the keyboard. Normally the letter O carries the 6 and U is a 4, so for a laptop configured this way press and hold Fn and Alt then enter O + U and release.

Hound Dog

Oct 16, 2009, 4:32 PM

Post #8 of 20 (14930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Shrall] How do I type the sign arobat @

Thank you! It worked! This laptop is new to me and I had not figured out the blue function yet. I would have never guessed that one!
Thanks again.
Brigitte

Papirex

Oct 16, 2009, 6:05 PM

Post #9 of 20 (14922 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] How do I type the sign arobat @

I'm glad to know your problem has been solved. The FN key on laptops is not always blue and the things it controls vary from one manufacturer to another. On my 3 year old Gateway laptop there is an “embedded” numeric keypad in the regular keyboard, it is enabled or disabled using the FN key in conjunction with another key. Those numbers are light blue colored, they are nearly invisible to me in dim light. It must be disabled when typing or those keys will type numbers instead of letters. I never use it. I am not using that computer right now and I don't remember the second key that must be used with the FN key to enable the embedded numeric keypad.

I now use an external numeric keypad with that computer occasionally when I need to crunch a bunch of numbers. I used to always use one before I retired and I needed to write progress reports, etc. Again, I must remember to press the num lock key to turn it off or I will get some numbers instead of letters when typing.

I am using a 6 month old Compaq laptop right now with an included numeric keypad on the regular keyboard just like a keyboard for a desktop computer has. It does not have an embedded numeric keypad and there are no blue numbers on the keyboard. However, when this computer was new, I had to remember to press the num lock key to turn the numeric keypad off when I wanted to do any typing or some of the keys typed numbers instead of letters. An automatic update from the manufacturer after a few weeks eliminated that problem though.

There are several other uses for the FN key. I can enable, disable, increase or decrease the audio volume using it, or brighten or dim the display among other things. You may have to consult your owners manual plus do some experimenting to find all the uses for the FN key.

FN stands for function.

Good luck and all that stuff.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Flaekingur

Dec 2, 2009, 11:35 AM

Post #10 of 20 (14747 views)

Shortcut

I have always referred to the @ character using the Spanish name, Arroba. Does anyone know what it is called in English?

(This post was edited by Flaekingur on Dec 2, 2009, 11:36 AM)

Rolly

Dec 2, 2009, 11:45 AM

Post #11 of 20 (14742 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Flaekingur] How do I type the sign arobat @

I have never heard it called anything except at or the at sign.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Dec 2, 2009, 11:53 AM

Post #12 of 20 (14738 views)

Shortcut

The proper English name for the @ sign is the “commercial at” sign, it is commonly referred to as simply the “at” sign though.

I believe it was called the “commercial At” sign because it used to be common to see signs in stores such as X apples @ $x.xx (per pound, or per dozen, etc.).

I have gotten used to calling it the arroba though.

Rex

Flaekingur

Dec 2, 2009, 12:07 PM

Post #13 of 20 (14728 views)

Shortcut

I guess we should officially adopt the name "Arroba" into English then.

Vichil

Dec 2, 2009, 1:34 PM

Post #14 of 20 (14716 views)

Shortcut

God forbids, it is an Arabic symbol !

joaquinx

Dec 2, 2009, 1:48 PM

Post #15 of 20 (14709 views)

Shortcut

http://en.wikipedia.org/...2_in_other_languages

This link will give you the name of the @ sign in various languages.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

(This post was edited by joaquinx on Dec 2, 2009, 1:48 PM)

RickS

Dec 3, 2009, 2:42 PM

Post #16 of 20 (14669 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] How do I type the sign arobat @

That's funny.... something many never have to think about.... what to call it in another language.

Some of the more interesting ones are: shnik for puppy, papaki for duckling, snabel for elephant trunk, chiocciola for snail .....

TlxcalaClaudia

Dec 10, 2009, 12:43 PM

Post #17 of 20 (14610 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] How do I type the sign arobat @

Interesting. The first time I heard it called arroba was 1994 when I was doing research in TN.

steve1234

Jan 28, 2011, 9:45 PM

Post #18 of 20 (10414 views)

Shortcut

hey Vichil.... although its not a tough thing u asked but its always looks tough when you don't know anything, so here is the most simple solution to his.... you can either copy and paste this @ sign to word or if its not possible from your keyboard then try an other thing....
follow this from ur windows

from the MS Office: Insert > Symbol

you will get many other signs too.... thanks
Steve

Rolly

Jan 28, 2011, 10:23 PM

Post #19 of 20 (10410 views)

Shortcut

Re: [steve1234] How do I type the sign arobat @

Steve, didn't you notice that is thread is more than a year old?

Rolly Pirate

mazbook1

Jan 29, 2011, 1:01 PM

Post #20 of 20 (10386 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] How do I type the sign arobat @

Rolly, Let's help Steve out! Obviously he doesn't know the easy way, just hold the Alt key and type 64 on the number pad, voila! Note: this only works on Windows PCs with a number pad on the keyboard. It it's a Windows laptop, I THINK that you can hold AltGr and type 2 on the top "number line" and you will get the arroba.@, at least this works on my Windows PC with a Spanish keyboard (one that doesn't have the @ as a regular key).

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4