First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tashby

Oct 4, 2009, 1:43 PM

Post #26 of 35 (7489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Morelia and more!!

Can't Post | Private Reply
Love Morelia.

When we were there last summer, we got a tour of this place from the architect who helped restore/design it. It was brand new at the time, and they were offering serious discounts off the rack rate. I would be surprised if, in this economy, there still isn't some flexibility on price. It's only about a block or two from the Plaza de Armas.

http://www.hotelhistoria.com.mx/

You haven't mentioned your price range though, at least I don't think you have, so this is all just a guessing game.

Have fun in Morelia! It's a splended place.

chinagringo

Oct 4, 2009, 2:05 PM

Post #27 of 35 (7485 views)

Shortcut

I have been working most of the day uploading fotos to Flickr from our various trips to MX. The link that follows takes you to fotos of Meson de San Antonio:
http://www.flickr.com/...57622514906376/show/

I apologize that the set is in raw form, without labels and there may be some duplication at this point. You may think I am nuts to have taken so many fotos of the vegetation but I have an excuse. We are working on building a new home near Albuquerque that will be at about the same altitude and we have a plant expert identifying these plants for our landscaping.

Our favorite restaurants in Patzcuaro have been Pricilla's, Cha Cha Cha and Mistongo - with Restaurante Mistongo as our real favorite. Cha Cha Cha was closed during our recent trip in August and am not sure what that story is.

Edited by Esperanza to create a live link.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by esperanza on Oct 4, 2009, 10:31 PM)

Oscar2

Oct 4, 2009, 2:43 PM

Post #28 of 35 (7478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Morelia and more!!

Tashby,

I wasn’t sure but I thought you were still in Morelia. Your posts are regular and looked forward too. Thanks for the heads up and yes, we are still hunting for that location near El Centro. The hotel you picked is a good-looking hotel and yes, we’ve already contacted them and are waiting to hear from them.

As you mentioned, with the economy being what it is, currently discounts are cutting deep to promote business just about everywhere and that includes accommodations. Some of the hotels are cutting deep and some are offering like, stay three days and get one free. So now its just a matter of getting that hotel with WiFi, a heater, close-by within walking distance of necessities and it’s a done deal.

Honestly, we do enjoy great ambiance but we spend so much time away from our dwellings, that by the time we get home, we’re tired, shower and hit the sack for the next cycle the next morning. My wife of 17 years younger, puts it this way, hey baby, when we go on vacation, we’re movers and shakers! Soooo, although where we rest our heads for the night is important, more important is what we do with our time away from our hotel.

Yes, a credo I love to live by is: Comfort is of essence…por siempre! If you hear of anything else please let me know …….Gracias

Oscar2

Oct 4, 2009, 3:28 PM

Post #29 of 35 (7471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Morelia and more!!

Neil,

Wow, what a cool panorama of blossoms, colors and greenery, loved it! The meticulous care, not to mention the hand watering I know someone is religiously doing is something to be proud of.

Hand watering and fertilizing to keep those potted plants healthy is a chore and a half. I know because 30 years ago, I installed an automatically adjustable timed drip system which feeds all my hanging plants in the front entryway, my entire rear hanging plants and large potted plants and all the potted plants around the pool, planter and pilasters surrounding the perimeter of our back yard.

Had I not done this to maintain this irrigation system, forget it, my plants would have never survived, off and on, for 30 years. If you can, from the get-go, install an automated drip irrigation system, you’ll not regret it as much as watching you plants die for lack of attention. I will save you months upon months of hand watering over the years.

I must say, your nice pix extends a welcome invitation to stay is this very nice place…Gracias

colibri1

Oct 5, 2009, 6:17 AM

Post #30 of 35 (7438 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Morelia and more!!

Hey, fellow "coffee snobs",

Heads up .....the restaurant La Surtidora on the Plaza Grande in Patzcuaro has a wonderful selection of beans for sale!!! We carry our coffee maker and grinder with us wherever we go as well. La Surtidora is our favorite place to stock up. Their prices are also very much more affordable than anywhere else we've found.

We've taken multiple kilos of grano entero home to our freezer in Sonora. Have learned NOT to pack it in the funiture....we lost a whole shipment once because of the absorption of the finishing solvents....YUCK!!!!! Also, always bring the stash back personally (and in an easily checkable spot) as our truck driver was once held up a whole day at one of the military check points while they emptied the whole truck looking for whatever they thought was being hidden by the smell of the coffee. We felt pretty dumb after those two incidents!!! Anyway, our fave is a 1/2 & 1/2 blend of Uruapan and Chiapas.

We went to Uruapan once looking for coffee, figuring to get it from the source. We bought a couple of bags from one of the fancy coffee shop-eateries downtown.....and HATED IT! Go figure...so now we just stick with the old reliable, La Surtidora!

Regards,
Marianne

Oscar2

Oct 5, 2009, 11:23 AM

Post #31 of 35 (7412 views)

Shortcut

Of the 2 cell phone providers (Metro PCS and Verizon) Metro is the least expensive and provides “UNLIMITED” calls to Mexico land lines for $40 a month. Metro connection is great if you live in a large city but in outlying area’s forget it, it just doesn’t work or is extremely spotty.

I’m mentioning this because right now while I can call many states in Mexico well, I was wondering, and I hope this isn’t like to far fetched, but is there something like a city visitors center one can call for Morelia information?

ebwilderae

Oct 14, 2009, 6:12 PM

Post #32 of 35 (7318 views)

Shortcut

I have to agree that Morelia is one great city. My friend Nacho Cardona rents out his
2 bedroom/2 bath apt which is a 15 minute walk from centro. His add on Craigslist
is at https://accounts.craigslist.org/post/shwpst?pii=1407939580&db=lv

If that link does not work, this is a Mexico City listing (there is no Craigslist for Morelia)
for housing placed about 10/5 with the 2 bedroom/2 bath heading. Nacho's email is
nacho_cardona@hotmail.com

I would stay there for a couple of weeks or longer while I got to know the city. We enjoyed
it.

Saludos,
Mike

Oscar2

Oct 16, 2009, 10:41 AM

Post #33 of 35 (7255 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ebwilderae] Morelia and more!!

Olla Mike,

It was good of you offering a heads up on a “furnished” apt. for rent. Yes, we are still looking for something close too or favorably something within Morelia’s El Centro. I must say, we appreciate any referrals anyone may have.

I’ll definitely make the necessary contacts with any and all referrals. I’ve received other PM’s with photos of some nice apartments and houses. Some have been in the $3500 to $4000 peso per month range, furnished and they are good to go.

As mentioned earlier, our lives are in a tizzy and schedules are up for grabs due to our American League Angels (with all due respect) trouncing Boston (shutting them out in 3 games) and now, in all our craziness, are hedged toward the next 7 game pennant race against the New York Yankees!! Yes we have 4 seats for all the post season games up through the World Series (should we make it again this year) and unrest is relentless!!!

Tonight’s 40 degree game, with possible rain starts at 5:00 pm., we are braced and waiting and anything short of a cardiac arrest……… I guess you can say, we’re doing fine! :-)

In all fairness, good luck to the Yankee’s and all their fans!

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Oct 16, 2009, 10:43 AM)

Linda in Morelia

Oct 18, 2009, 5:41 PM

Post #34 of 35 (7195 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Morelia and more!!

Tashby, I'm curious -- why did you decide not to settle down in Morelia? Do I remember correctly that you decided on Ajijic?

Linda

tashby

Oct 19, 2009, 10:35 AM

Post #35 of 35 (7155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Linda in Morelia] Morelia and more!!

Hi Linda,
The short answer is my partner didn't want to live in Morelia. Yes, we're in Ajijic, but I'm reluctant to use the word "settled".
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4